Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cultural phenomenon would you erase from history?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Modern feminism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Wire. I didn't find it either particularly bad (or particularly good) but what annoys me about it is the smug fans who somehow think that being entertained by a fictional story makes them intelligent. If you want to maintain the writer wrote an intelligent story that's one thing, but thinking you're special because you 'get it' and other people don't is ridiculous. I can see someone quoting me now and replying "well actually it wasn't fictional, it was written by a former cop and based on real cases... blah blah blah". No, it was fictional. Some of the characters in Eastenders were based on real people the writer knew from market stalls in London. Does that mean Eastenders isn't fictional?

Reaction videos. The original ones with kids genuine reactions are one thing but now YouTube is littered with idiots reacting to all sorts of nonsense. "Irish People Eat Doritos For The First Time". Fuck off. There's no way they haven't tried a bag of Doritos before. "My First Time Hearing The Beatles". Either you're lying about that or you're an idiot. Either way why would I want to watch someone listening to a Beatles song and making inane comments? Why would I choose to do that over just listening to The Beatles? More importantly why the fuck would I support you on Patreon? There seems to be a lot of young black men doing this lately. I think they expect hordes of people to be amazed at the novelty of a black lad listening to music that isn't rap.

Any form of entertainment that 'takes on Trump'. Give it a rest. Just concentrate on entertaining people. And no American comedian has ever told a funny joke about him. "He's orange, wears a wig and grabs pussies!!!" Oh my aching sides.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Facebook

Peppa pig

Alcopops

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Islam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Outside context problems

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Irish Country Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Please elaborate on your point.

I don’t think competitiveness is a phenomenon or a cult. It’s a natural thing and essential to our survival.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Competitiveness is indeed natural, but the type of competition that is most common nowadays can only be described as 'hyper-competitiveness', this is in fact man-made, and in fact is highly destructive for the survivability of all species including humans

I don't think the thread was intended to go very deep into a topic, but yes, like Wanderer, I think there is a type of competitiveness that is closely linked to this narcissism we're all well aware of around us, and that is not the healthy, survival kind of competitiveness.

Be stronger, be faster, be better, be more productive, rise above the rest, achieve more, buy more, never stop ---ing, stand out, blend in, etc...

We are urged to both conform, and compare ourselves to our peers, and simultaneously, to detach from the group and make our mark or stand out : age group ("generation ..."), neighbours, classmates, colleagues...

In my job, although it involves humans so there are plenty of variables, I am urged to produce statistics and compare mine.

Sport, not just for its own sake, but for the competitive aspect of it, is promoted from Primary School and held as a holy grail, a healthy way to live (look at the running threads on here).

It is seen as a good thing when parents train and urge their children to compete in dancing, sports, talent shows, music... I have a child with exceptional talent in one area, she is attending classes and learning all the time, but we view competition as just one experience that is part of the overall learning process, and not a priority; I have lost count of the number of people urging to enter her in one contest or other, as if it was the be all and and all of that activity, as if it can only be sanctioned when it is assessed and compared to others' achievements.

It's not good enough to be interested in something, it has to be officially bench marked against others, and suitable rewards have to be clocked up. Actually people think you're silly or weird if you have no interest in these rewards. Picture a child with an ability in say, singing. They would be expected and urged to take part in talent shows, or if not keen on that, to at least get thousands of viewers on youtube, or even to go onto TV programs, like the little one from Cork who busked but whose family weren't too keen on the competitive aspect of it. It became an oddity, enough to be writing articles about her, and she ended up on the Ellen show ... Someone with talent with no interest in clocking up widely agreed benchmarks !

I'm thinking of the world of advertising but also social media, bloggers, influencers, life coaches, and in general, people, and the conversations to be heard in parents' circles, in schools, in work places.

And while all this is going on, and the children respond accordingly with more narcissistic tendencies as they grow, we simultaneously and confusingly reward with "certificates of achievement" that acknowledge participation more than achievement. We're sending mixed messages, and it's no wonder that new generations are confused and vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Selfies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Religion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Enochwasright

Greyling wrote: »
    Most of my relationships with other men depend on the inane dissection of what happened in a field in Liverpool or Ballsbridge at the weekend.

The thing with arsenal is they want to walk it into the net!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Enochwasright

quintana76 wrote: »
    Islam.

I feel ya! But the guys that have said "religion" have the right answer, yes Islam is being more of a pest today but none of the religions have covered themselves in glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Competitiveness is indeed natural, but the type of competition that is most common nowadays can only be described as 'hyper-competitiveness', this is in fact man-made, and in fact is highly destructive for the survivability of all species including humans

Hmm. My niece keeps getting medals for coming mid race. I don’t think we live in a competitive age.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,034 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The overuse of the work 'like'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

New atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Humans and vegan zealots

But not necessarily in that order ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sport, not just for its own sake, but for the competitive aspect of it, is promoted from Primary School and held as a holy grail, a healthy way to live (look at the running threads on here).

Our educational system is a prime example of a hyper-competitive system, whereby the ultimate aim is to create an exclusive society rather than an inclusive one, I do believe this has been done largely unintentionally, I.e. we ve kinna fooled ourselves into thinking this is good for our society, but it is in fact highly destructive in many ways.

Naturally I would ultimately blame economic theories such as neoclassical theory for the creation of such things, which I suspect was originally created by individuals that posed personality traits such as narcissism and may in fact have posed far more complex personality disorders such as sociopathy etc, therefore promoting these kind of behavioural issues widely in society, i.e. we must all behave in this manner in order to survive, or so we believe, effectively creating a kind of group think and herd mentality that's actually highly destructive for our species and planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hmm. My niece keeps getting medals for coming mid race. I don’t think we live in a competitive age.

Disagree of course, but you do make a valid point. There will always be an element of inclusivity in society, or at least I hope there always will be, but I do believe there is plenty of evidence to support my claims of hyper-competitiveness in society. I do believe that when world leaders and politicans mention 'competitiveness', they actually mean 'hyper-competativeness'. It's becoming clearer, that power, wealth and control is becoming more concentrated as a result of this thinking, you must put on your macro head to think in this way, this is potentially very dangerous for the survivability of our species and planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Kardashians, easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Top knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Jim'll Fix It

Country n' Irish music

The hipsterisation of everything.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Late Late Show (and/or Ryan Tubridy)

I don't watch it, but the odd time of a Friday night I might flick past it while in between other programmes or ad breaks to see what "Irelands premier entertainment show" is entertaining us with this week, to usually find someone on talking about getting cancer or being abused as a child!!

Keep it light hearted eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Precisely one aspect of youthful unrest, unease, confusion, bewilderment. Mixed messages !
    Because all the while, presumably she is exposed to, and aware of, the other agenda : the talent shows, TV/film characters who are "fighters", and will make their way "to the top", female singers who tell you "you're gonna make it" ("where? Oh, am I supposed to want to get there? "), youtubers that are not recognised for quality of content, but for how viral they managed to get, the fittest family in Ireland, standardised tests, the push for this or that choice of subject in school so you can better engage in the rat race, how many likes you got on your selfie, celebrity sports people, and then mindfulness programs to try and mitigate all the anxiety of this "life is a battle and you have to win it" approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Men's rights weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Universal suffrage.

The Welfare State.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Those gross looking big piercing holes in your earlobe. Eugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

Reality tv and 'influencers'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

1980s pop music

And awful 1980s fashion :mad:

How the hell were punks, skins & heavy metal-heads etc of the 70s replaced by "New Romantics" in the 80s? I think most teenagers in the 1980s were somehow poisoned or hypnotised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Universal suffrage.

The Welfare State.

This made me laugh :D

Are you serious? :eek:

Advertisement