Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cultural phenomenon would you erase from history?

Options
  • 03-05-2018 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

For me it would be The Simpsons. I'm in my mid 30's so it has been there almost as long as I remember. I'm sick to jayses of hearing references to it brought up daily.

Honourable mentions for Donald Trump and Father Ted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

'Artisan' Donut shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Line dancing, twin cams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Diana, Princess of Wales

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Communism

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The internet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Sport, constant and never ending. Especially team sports. Only team sports actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Satellite/multi channel TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The internet

Irony....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

AllForIt wrote: »
    Sport, constant and never ending. Especially team sports. Only team sports actually.

The lads would be in bad shape if there was no sports to talk about. Most of my relationships with other men depend on the inane dissection of what happened in a field in Liverpool or Ballsbridge at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

The Trump presidential campaign.
    The X-Factor. (In fact any "reality" show!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Social influencers.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Hillary Clinton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The cult of competitiveness, and the paradoxical way children's education is approached atm.

• Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

Western liberals hatred of free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The suffix -ery for things that don't end in -ery. As in 'eatery'. It's not an eatery. It's a cafe with notions. You knob.

If you open an 'eatery', you'd better have the jacks marked as the ****tery. You'd still be a knob, but at least you'd be a consistent knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Western liberals hatred of free speech.
    Oh yeah! That's a good one!

The importation of US TV's over-simplistic and reductionist binary view of nuanced topics! People with a juvenile black-and-white worldview who use the word 'liberal' to describe people who respond to their over-simplistic and reductionist binary view of nuanced topics with nuance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

endacl wrote: »
    The suffix -ery for things that don't end in -ery. As in 'eatery'. It's not an eatery. It's a cafe with notions. You knob.

If you open an 'eatery', you'd better have the jacks marked as the ****tery. You'd still be a knob, but at least you'd be a consistent knob.

Absolute knobbery, that's what it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

memes, in their original definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Probiotics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

The internet

It’s Tinternet

Probiotics.

With lactose added

I farted non stop for 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The cult of competitiveness, and the paradoxical way children's education is approached atm.

Please elaborate on your point.

I don’t think competitiveness is a phenomenon or a cult. It’s a natural thing and essential to our survival.

Please elaborate on your point.

I don’t think competitiveness is a phenomenon or a cult. It’s a natural thing and essential to our survival.

I remember as kids myself and my sisters laughed at how competitive we were, the sibling rivalry..... but I laughed longer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

endacl wrote: »
    Oh yeah! That's a good one!

The importation of US TV's over-simplistic and reductionist binary view of nuanced topics! People with a juvenile black-and-white worldview who use the word 'liberal' to describe people who respond to their over-simplistic and reductionist binary view of nuanced topics with nuance.

That's exactly what I was just thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Slavery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Competitiveness is indeed natural, but the type of competition that is most common nowadays can only be described as 'hyper-competitiveness', this is in fact man-made, and in fact is highly destructive for the survivability of all species including humans

Advertisement