Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman sues Dunnes Stores over glass jug which shattered after she poured hot water in

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When someone gets 500k after getting injured while commuting an illegal act, we should no longer be surprised

Was this the girl that held onto the outside of the tram, And then fell off! Giving her a very mild head injury?

At least in her case a judge didn’t award her the 500k, the LUAS operator simply settled with her out of court for €500k, it just goes to show how little faith they had in the system If they were prepared to give her a €500k settlement before even being in front of a judge, for scaling a moving tram and then falling off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

If it's so easy to get "paid, yo!" then why don't you just go and slide across the floor in your local Centra and bang your head and then get rich?

Because I'm not a criminal....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

No-win, no-fee should be illegal. 1 free consultation is about as good as it gets with fees accruing regardless of outcome.

Solicitors will still play the odds. With a very lucrative payday with every success, they are happy to lose a few, even if it means they don't get paid for their work

Bottom line is the compensation system is too tempting for claimants and the legal profession. We are too small an economy/market to be able to sustain this and have affordable premiums to allow us enjoy social & sporting activities, run a business or drive our cars

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Was this the girl that held onto the outside of the tram, And then fell off! Giving her a very mild head injury?

At least in her case a judge didn’t award her the 500k, the LUAS operator simply settled with her out of court for €500k, it just goes to show how little faith they had in the system If they were prepared to give her a €500k settlement before even being in front of a judge, for scaling a moving tram and then falling off!

Sets her up nicely, how many kids she have now?

She must have been mental anyway on the 1st place to cling onto a side door.

What was going against them was they knew there was a design issue where the step was out enough and a gap to cling onto.

I see some db SG types now have a rear engine cover that is completely covering the rear so nowhere for the boys to grip onto.

I find it mad they let this design out as anything for many years it's been flat rears with no gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Sets her up nicely, how many kids she have now?

She must have been mental anyway on the 1st place to cling onto a side door.

What was going against them was they knew there was a design issue where the step was out enough and a gap to cling onto.

I see some db SG types now have a rear engine cover that is completely covering the rear so nowhere for the boys to grip onto.

I find it mad they let this design out as anything for many years it's been flat rears with no gaps.

Accepting the premise that it should be the tram/bus company's responsibility to prevent scumbags from injuring themselves whilst engaging in obviously stupid and illegal behaviour is the core of our problem.

Nannying the public from their own rank stupidity is bad enough but expecting criminals to be protected by the same people/companies who they are perpetrating crimes against is just insane.

The correct response to that scumbag falling off the tram should have been LUAS suing her and her parents for the damage caused to the tram and the disruption to the service dealing with the aftermath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

If it's so easy to get "paid, yo!" then why don't you just go and slide across the floor in your local Centra and bang your head and then get rich?

With morals like this, a bright future in the ambulance-chasing profession awaits...

as you said, when paying her 500K was the safe option, theres something seriously ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Nermal wrote: »
    With morals like this, a bright future in the ambulance-chasing profession awaits...

Lionel Hutz aka Miguel Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Nermal wrote: »

My moral compass is just fine thank you.

While I understand that there maybe some frivolous lawsuits in Ireland I think that they are pretty rare. Certainly there are a lot of chancers but much work goes into investigating these cases and it generally takes years for a suit to come to conclusion. Despite what people think some pisshead can't just fall off his bar stool and then get 50k the next morning when he sobers up.

I am all for there being compensation when negligence can be proven and also that the injured party has suffered extreme injury or life disruption as a result of an avoidable incident. In the Netherlands there is practically zero litigation "culture" and I find it a bit disconcerting. In my local bar a female cello player fell through a trapdoor that was left open to the cellar. She smashed her face against the steel stair leading down and broke her nose, jaw and lost a dozen teeth. She nearly broke her neck. But in Holland...."Oh well, tough luck."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

While I understand that there maybe some frivolous lawsuits in Ireland I think that they are pretty rare. Certainly there are a lot of chancers but much work goes into investigating these cases and it generally takes years for a suit to come to conclusion. Despite what people think some pisshead can't just fall off his bar stool and then get 50k the next morning when he sobers up.

I am all for there being compensation when negligence can be proven and also that the injured party has suffered extreme injury or life disruption as a result of an avoidable incident. In the Netherlands there is practically zero litigation "culture" and I find it a bit disconcerting. In my local bar a female cello player fell through a trapdoor that was left open to the cellar. She smashed her face against the steel stair leading down and broke her nose, jaw and lost a dozen teeth. She nearly broke her neck. But in Holland...."Oh well, tough luck."

Rare, you're having a laugh, right?

The other comment is correct though, some pisshead can fall off his barstool and get a hell of a lot more, what scenario where a person is drunk and slips is the fault of a council?

The incident in Holland sounds like poor form, but maybe she doesnt have to litigate? Id like to think her costs were covered? but that is a case that seems worthy of having medical expenses and any loss of earnings restored. Thats not what is happening here, arbitrary figures are being pulled out of thin air where the claimants are culpable.

• Advertisement

."

They are common, not rare and your pisshead example is exactly the type of thing that goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

They are common, not rare and your pisshead example is exactly the type of thing that goes on

Well if you can come up with an example or similar I'd appreciate seeing it. I'm not challenging you I just want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

1874 wrote: »
    The incident in Holland sounds like poor form, but maybe she doesnt have to litigate? Id like to think her costs were covered? but that is a case that seems worthy of having medical expenses and any loss of earnings restored. Thats not what is happening here, arbitrary figures are being pulled out of thin air where the claimants are culpable.

It's most likely not true though. Everyone in NL has personal liability and legal insurance as standard. I think they might actually be mandatory, because it's such a litigious society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

While I understand that there maybe some frivolous lawsuits in Ireland I think that they are pretty rare. Certainly there are a lot of chancers but much work goes into investigating these cases and it generally takes years for a suit to come to conclusion. Despite what people think some pisshead can't just fall off his bar stool and then get 50k the next morning when he sobers up

May I suggest that when restrictions are lifted, that you pay a visit to a circuit court sitting when it is dealing with personal injury cases.

First have a look at the case listing published the day before.

Then look at which judge is on.

Then watch as cases get called.

In naas last year before lockdown I had the "pleasure" of being at such a sitting.

I counted 12 frivolous cases, 3 were postponed, 7 were "withdrawn" and two were deemed settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Teresa Wall. There's an example of a frivolous lawsuit.

Fortunately it was overturned.

What about this one though. 256K for PTSD cos she got knocked down... while crossing the road at a red light
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107548101

We have a new winner. 3.2 million. Knocked down while crossing a dual carriageway. Even though there was footbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

For the story from April 2016 (if that's the correct one): https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/169155/e3-5m-for-young-lad-left-brain-damaged-after-he-was-knocked-down-by-motorbike/
    €3.5m for young lad left brain damaged after he was knocked down by motorbike
    David Draper from Blanchardstown in Dublin was only 13 years of age when he attempted to cross a dual carriageway home on the way home from school

David who is now 18 years of age had sued the motorbike driver Nigel Fitzgerald of Harold’s Cross Road, Harold’s Cross, Dublin as a result of the accident at Blanchardstown Road North on March 30, 2011.

It was claimed there was an alleged failure by the driver to keep any or any proper lookout.

Fitzgerald had denied the claims and contended there was negligence on the part of David Draper because he had allegedly without warning run from the back of a bus and had allegedly failed to look to his left to check for traffic coming from the left.

Senior Counsel Aedan McGovern told the court the settlement had been agreed on the basis of 30 per cent contributory negligence on the boys’ behalf which brought the total award to €3.5million.

Justice Bernard Barton who met David in his chambers said he had no hesitation in approving the settlement.

Horrible injuries, but 100% his own fault and I completely disagree with that settlement. Personal negligence these days appear to require someone else to blame.

Add legal fees and you are looking at well over 10,000 motorcyclists premiums to pay for just 1 accident

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I bought a packet of pistachio nuts last year and it said " This product contains nuts ".

Same with peanut butter ..... the world's mad

For the story from April 2016 (if that's the correct one): https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/169155/e3-5m-for-young-lad-left-brain-damaged-after-he-was-knocked-down-by-motorbike/

Horrible injuries, but 100% his own fault and I completely disagree with that settlement. Personal negligence these days appear to require someone else to blame.

Nope. This one is where a part time model (ie someone who has paid for a photo shoot cos she thinks she's hot) who was crossing the dual carriage way at the Pavilions shopping centre.

Its a settlement too, so there'll be no appealing. Obviously the insurance company were terrified of what a judge would do so 3.2 mill seemed cheap.

Why she felt the need to ignore the footbridge 200 metres away is something that escapes me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Nope. This one is where a part time model (ie someone who has paid for a photo shoot cos she thinks she's hot) who was crossing the dual carriage way at the Pavilions shopping centre.

Its a settlement too, so there'll be no appealing. Obviously the insurance company were terrified of what a judge would do so 3.2 mill seemed cheap.

Why she felt the need to ignore the footbridge 200 metres away is something that escapes me

She like so many others ignore the bridge out of sheer laziness. Combine that with a dollop of plain old fashioned stupidity & thats the result.

She like so many others ignore the bridge out of sheer laziness. Combine that with a dollop of plain old fashioned stupidity & thats the result.

And fear of a judge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

For the story from April 2016 (if that's the correct one): 6

See this is different from the usual grown adults acting the maggot and suing.
    Oddly enough when I was 12 I was hit by a motorbike while crossing a road . Got a belt of the bike and was knocked a few feet down the road . Was somehow lucky enough to just get cuts and bruises , thankfully the rider realised he was going to hit me and managed to either skid or maneuverer so I didn't get the full force (in my head years after I imagined he pulled a wheelie , but I dont think that was it). I'd ran across the road thinking I was going to make it before the bike , ..I honestly remember thinking "wait I'm not going to make it" before getting hit. So yeah I was an eejit kid.
    Kid is the important word here , kids are idiots .
    As a minor yeah , he should know better , but he didn't .
    Also unlike me he this poor kid is going to be carrying the weight of something stupid he did for the rest of his life. In situations like this the money isn't living the high life , its basically to supplement his income /pay for medicals for the rest of his life ,especially since his chance of having a decent job is probably limited now .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

By the way , old trick I learned when I worked in a hotel years ago , if you want to put boiling water in something glass , stick a metal utensil (like a fork or spoon) into first , with the top of the metal sticking out over the top . You'd need a big one for a jug. Also , dont sue me if it doesnt work for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There was a fella on First Dates last night and he said he was in car crash and got a big enough pay out and he spent to all on holidays. (That's how it sounded to me)l

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Fücking hell, 75 grand for that? How can that be justified? Where is it that she lost earnings? She couldn't do leisure activities. How is that worth 75 grand? A fücking joke, this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There was a fella on First Dates last night and he said he was in car crash and got a big enough pay out and he spent to all on holidays. (That's how it sounded to me)l

That show is a car crash in itself...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Go easy on her, this can happen to anyone. I bought one of them teeling whiskeys in dunes that came with the nice jar mug with screw lid. One day I decided to make coffee in it and it broke. And I was too stupid to even think about suing!!

• Advertisement

100grand in 7 months IIRC?

Advertisement