Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef Plan Movement (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I taught the ifa plan of targeting supermarkets who was selling Irish beef/lamb as a loss leader was a good idea.Surely this idea should be continued like going into supermarkets ,filling up trolleys and disrupting trade these supermarkets might not be long getting the message .
    Expecting farmers to hold back supplies would be an impossible task ,the real problem is there is too many cattle in the country ,too many calves every year so get beef plan to make it possible to export as many of these calves as possible!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

wrangler wrote: »
    Are you finally seeing the light, there is no practical way to put pressure on processors to increase prices. Totally immature and unreasonable to expect anyone come up with a solution when you're not prepared to support any effort.
    You've finally highlighted the c..p that I'm dealing with for the last 30 years from beef farmers
    In 2001 We held back cattle for three weeks to get a price and the farmers only let it hold for a few weeks when they started throwing cattle at the factories again.
    I hope that the Beef plan movement take warning from your post because there's a lot more like you
    Correction it was 2000 and as I have mentioned before I was at Kepak Clonee most nights during the blockade.
    I have never missed seeing the light and at that time I wasn't critical of farmers sending cattle as soon as there was a price rise cause we all knew it wasn't going to last more than a week.

Most people think that by with holding cattle they are going to effect prices whereas in fact they are playing into the hands of the beef processors by creating a glut and thereby reducing prices when those cattle come to slaughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

cute geoge wrote: »
    I taught the ifa plan of targeting supermarkets who was selling Irish beef/lamb as a loss leader was a good idea.Surely this idea should be continued like going into supermarkets ,filling up trolleys and disrupting trade these supermarkets might not be long getting the message .
    Expecting farmers to hold back supplies would be an impossible task ,the real problem is there is too many cattle in the country ,too many calves every year so get beef plan to make it possible to export as many of these calves as possible!!!!

Farmers got sick of that too we only got two or three good protests before it was left to just a few.
    I'd say if you go back far enough on boards here you'll get plenty belittling supermarket protests even though the processors hated us targetting their customers
    I'm surprised that factories don't offer less. they could offer 3.50 next week and still get cattle

Base price wrote: »
    Correction it was 2000 and as I have mentioned before I was at Kepak Clonee most nights during the blockade.
    I have never missed seeing the light and at that time I wasn't critical of farmers sending cattle as soon as there was a price rise cause we all knew it wasn't going to last more than a week.

Most people think that by with holding cattle they are going to effect prices whereas in fact they are playing into the hands of the beef processors by creating a glut and thereby reducing prices when those cattle come to slaughter.

So to stop you supplying they'd have to block the gates of the factory like the 2000.... except that's illegal now
    I had 40 cattle going to Kildare the first morning of the blockade so it cost me abit more than standing at the gates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

cute geoge wrote: »

In Ireland we consume less than 10% of the beef we produce yes more than half that goes through supermarket so the supermarkets in ireland account for about 6-7% of our total beef market. Morrison, the Co-op, ASDA etc in the UK really do not give a f@@k if we chain trollies in Irish supermarkets. All it dose is annoy Irish shoppers.
    Farmers got sick of that too we only got two or three good protests before it was left to just a few.
    I'd say if you go back far enough on boards here you'll get plenty belittling supermarket protests even though the processors hated us targetting their customers
    I'm surprised that factories don't offer less. they could offer 3.50 next week and still get cattle

Yes I belittled it because it was a stupid idea from an insipid organisation where every president had to have a tractorcade to Dublin during his tenure. It has gone out of fashion neither Downing or Healy have done it. Mind you Downing was not there long enough.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

they could offer 3.50 next week and still get cattle

Sad but true

In Ireland we consume less than 10% of the beef we produce yes more than half that goes through supermarket so the supermarkets in ireland account for about 6-7% of our total beef market. Morrison, the Co-op, ASDA etc in the UK really do not give a f@@k if we chain trollies in Irish supermarkets. All it dose is annoy Irish shoppers.

Yes I belittled it because it was a stupid idea from an insipid organisation where every president had to have a tractorcade to Dublin during his tenure. It has gone out of fashion neither Downing or Healy have done it. Mind you Downing was not there long enough.

That's the most stupid excuse I've heard for not getting the finger out, that is exactly why I was delighted to see BP s post, someone that was honest enough to say they wouldn't support because it'd cost.
    Look; I followed my own issues (amd beef price wasn't one) but I supported when I was needed but if it doesn't effect me it doesn't matter.
    A lot I'm benefiting from now was lobbied for by IFA , so of course i'M biased.

Was in the sheep factory all day yesterday so promised myself a firesde day today, probably go out for a few hours tomorrow and you know where beef price and trim can go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭memorystick

Stupid question- should we try to get the management of Bord Bia brought up in front of the PAC and get them to justify their ineffectiveness? Plenty of TDs need farmer support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Morning all.
    I think it is time to get a bit more streetwise.
    Blockades at the factory gates are a waste of time as it usually dwindles in support the longer the protest lasts and are illegal.
    Blocking up the streets in towns and cities will have a negative effect with a public who have become disconnected with the farming community. Remember it is now "cooler" to be a vegan than a farmer!
    You also cant and wont stop farmers with cattle coming of age for slaughter sending cattle without a plan in place.

Solutions.
    1. FINISHERS. Should be asked to plan ahead to have their stock finished 3 weeks earlier than usual. In my own scenario id push cattle to 29mts 28days if i could. If finishers finished 3 weeks earlier at 24, 30 and 36 months then if a boycott was called for 3days or even a whole week at shortish notice then they have 2 weeks to get cattle killed once the boycott is lifted. I would not ask the man finishing u16mt bulls for qa to take part in this boycott. They represent only a small % of the market so if 3k bulls were slaughtered it represents less than 10% of the weekly kill. Their margin needs every last day of feeding.

2. PROTESTS. Every single event held in this country by the President of the IFA Joe Healy and Minister Creed both should be followed and protest there. Even better if the cameras are there. Stand in front of them sabotage every meeting or junket the IFA hold or the minister attends. They are supposed to be representing farming as a whole not just the Dairy sector (no offence ladies and gentlemen milkers). They are elected in place by the people for the people to get better fairer deals in place. They are leaning on the side of the factories as that is where the power is and naturally enough power brings fear and these guys are afraid to tackle the big issues that fall at every farm gate in the country.Unfortunately we have our own breed on here who has his paw so long in the greasy till he has become soft to the establishment and hardened against his own kind. SHAME ON YOU RANGLER.

3. SUCKLER MEN. Forget about the few pound from yer BGDP schemes and the eurostars. As simple Simon stared at its conception it would result in more calves/cow/year and less greenhouse gases per livestock unit. So more poorer quality beef animals that mature earlier and kill out lighter with no profit for the suckler man nor the finisher. They pushed for 5 star cows that would rear a poorer quality calf more efficiently. Ive not met one suckler farmer who had a 5 star cow rear his best calf. Run a few quiet dairy bred milky 5 stars alright but let them be there to allow a good weanling take an extra sup of milk as needed.

4. NSAI. We need to get the NSAI on board get a few standards in place. Firstly there needs to be NSAI certification put in place and monthly checks on grading machines in factories and the weighing of the carcass. The IFA levies from our factory cheques should be transferred to this scheme to firstly pay for the NSAI certification of standard in carcass grading. These grading machines need to be checked monthly by an NSAI auditor and a system set up that shows conformity of standards on a daily basis. There should also be a set standard set up for skinning the hyde from cattle and especially on the over trimming of the carcass. If there is a set standard in place then there can be no deviations on losing the extra few kg from over trimming of fat or at the neck area.

5. The beef plan should also push for the weekly tonnage of beef to match the numbers killed. It is like comparing apples to oranges to expect poorer cattle (factories have been showing us poorer grades and weights on a sliding downward scale for the last few years) to be weighing as heavy dead as cattle with better weights and grades were 5 years ago. A 25kg decline in carcass is 1,000,000kg of beef on a 40k weekly kill! With beef brisket on the bone (cheapest cut) been quoted at €7 per kg in the butchers thats a whole lot of extra beef that had disappeared over time......OR HAS IT....!!

• Advertisement

Morning all.
    Blockades at the factory gates are a waste of time as it usually dwindles in support the longer the protest lasts and are illegal.
    Blocking up the streets in towns and cities will have a negative effect with a public who have become disconnected with the farming community. Remember it is now "cooler" to be a vegan than a farmer!
    You also cant and wont stop farmers with cattle coming of age for slaughter sending cattle without a plan in place.

Solutions.
    1. FINISHERS. Should be asked to plan ahead to have their stock finished 3 weeks earlier than usual. In my own scenario id push cattle to 29mts 28days if i could. If finishers finished 3 weeks earlier at 24, 30 and 36 months then if a boycott was called for 3days or even a whole week at shortish notice then they have 2 weeks to get cattle killed once the boycott is lifted. I would not ask the man finishing u16mt bulls for qa to take part in this boycott. They represent only a small % of the market so if 3k bulls were slaughtered it represents less than 10% of the weekly kill. Their margin needs every last day of feeding.

2. PROTESTS. Every single event held in this country by the President of the IFA Joe Healy and Minister Creed both should be followed and protest there. Even better if the cameras are there. Stand in front of them sabotage every meeting or junket the IFA hold or the minister attends. They are supposed to be representing farming as a whole not just the Dairy sector (no offence ladies and gentlemen milkers). They are elected in place by the people for the people to get better fairer deals in place. They are leaning on the side of the factories as that is where the power is and naturally enough power brings fear and these guys are afraid to tackle the big issues that fall at every farm gate in the country. Unfortunately we have our own breed on here who has his paw so long in the greasy till he has become soft to the establishment and hardened against his own kind. SHAME ON YOU RANGLER.

3. SUCKLER MEN. Forget about the few pound from yer BGDP schemes and the eurostars. As simple Simon stared at its conception it would result in more calves/cow/year and less greenhouse gases per livestock unit. So more poorer quality beef animals that mature earlier and kill out lighter with no profit for the suckler man nor the finisher. They pushed for 5 star cows that would rear a poorer quality calf more efficiently. Ive not met one suckler farmer who had a 5 star cow rear his best calf. Run a few quiet dairy bred milky 5 stars alright but let them be there to allow a good weanling take an extra sup of milk as needed.

4. NSAI. We need to get the NSAI on board get a few standards in place. Firstly there needs to be NSAI certification put in place and monthly checks on grading machines in factories and the weighing of the carcass. The IFA levies from our factory cheques should be transferred to this scheme to firstly pay for the NSAI certification of standard in carcass grading. These grading machines need to be checked monthly by an NSAI auditor and a system set up that shows conformity of standards on a daily basis. There should also be a set standard set up for skinning the hyde from cattle and especially on the over trimming of the carcass. If there is a set standard in place then there can be no deviations on losing the extra few kg from over trimming of fat or at the neck area.

5. The beef plan should also push for the weekly tonnage of beef to match the numbers killed. It is like comparing apples to oranges to expect poorer cattle (factories have been showing us poorer grades and weights on a sliding downward scale for the last few years) to be weighing as heavy dead as cattle with better weights and grades were 5 years ago. A 25kg decline in carcass is 1,000,000kg of beef on a 40k weekly kill! With beef brisket on the bone (cheapest cut) been quoted at €7 per kg in the butchers thats a whole lot of extra beef that had disappeared over time......OR HAS IT....!!

When you're as long trying to organise farmers to take action as I have, you will have a very different attitude. you have accused the wrong person of having their paw in the till, I have always said here that I got enough without claiming all my expenses, I have had two letters since I left asking me to send in my expenses, I'm probably entitled to at least two or three grand if I wanted to claim it .
    My landtake for the M6 probably made a couple hundred grand more due to the IFA/NRA road deal. and as for the tax concessions delivered on my lease, why would I want any thing more.
    I got more criticism about the last protest than I ever got over protests, how dare we disrupt cattle supply and then in the next breath what you doing about beef prices, you've only to go back here on boards to 2012 to see it. Imagine 25 farmers turning up for a protest in the middle of the country in Tullamore....you couldn't make it up , absolute joke. ''shame on them''
    You get to a point when you decide that people don't deserve my time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ya it sounds like a good idea, so it's a another seat at the table but this time has a button on the phone to stop supply is that the jist of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Right folks, I'll make this extremely clear. Remain civil to each when discussing here or your right to post in this thread will be removed. Cheap shots aren't going to be allowed here so please don't post those comments.

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The genomics scheme has nothing to do with producing the best weanling. It is about PROFIT. Christ, you can say it till you're blue in the face and still farmers don't get it.
    Annoys me that so much time and resources have been allocated to this scheme and it's all dismissed by 'know it all' gob****es.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

kerryjack wrote: »
    Ya it sounds like a good idea, so it's a another seat at the table but this time has a button on the phone to stop supply is that the jist of it.

As long as the Comp authority don't confiscate your phone, they'll be watching this crowd like a hawk.
    We weren't even allowed negotiate price when we'd meet the factories.
    The most subtle threat we could make was ''don't worry if you see us at the gate for a while....we want to measure it to see how many barrels it'll need''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Larry is still holding all the Aces he can sit back, slow down production send his workers home and wait till we come crawling back, because we have to eventually. Super markets won't care they will just horse out more chicken, the only one that will do well is local butcher and there ls the answer if everyone on the group stayed out of the supermarket and back to local butcher you might get a small squeeze there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

As Larry said years ago, he could could buy every farmer in Ireland for an extra penny in the lb.

All he really exposed with that statement is that farmers are stuck when it comes to dealing with nature. We’re price takers, now more than ever.

There’s no historic precedent of Irish people working together either, making any “mass movement” even harder.

Long-term, farmers need representation that will educate and inform the public about the true cost of food, be it local stuff and imported stuff. At the moment, processors and retailers are codding the people into buying what has the biggest margin for them. Farmers need to fight that battle. This might not lead to more high quality cuts of beef being bought but at least farmers will then have some control, whatever the consumer then decides to buy.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Morning all.

Solutions.

2. PROTESTS. Every single event held in this country by the President of the IFA Joe Healy and Minister Creed both should be followed and protest there. Even better if the cameras are there. Stand in front of them sabotage every meeting or junket the IFA hold or the minister attends. They are supposed to be representing farming as a whole not just the Dairy sector (no offence ladies and gentlemen milkers). They are elected in place by the people for the people to get better fairer deals in place. They are leaning on the side of the factories as that is where the power is and naturally enough power brings fear and these guys are afraid to tackle the big issues that fall at every farm gate in the country.Unfortunately we have our own breed on here who has his paw so long in the greasy till he has become soft to the establishment and hardened against his own kind. SHAME ON YOU RANGLER.

Well said Clough

The local politicians are what should be targeted. Now is the time to threaten them that farmers will not vote for any of them when the next election comes around.
    See what the pensioners and those against water charges achieved
    Depending on the IFA to help beef farming out is a waste of time and energy. They come out with the same ****e time and time again.
    We lobbied, we lobbied even harder we met this one and that one but we just couldnt do it. Why because they look after themselves first and foremost.
    All in bed together Larry, Politicians, IFA, Bord Bia, IMI ( another bunch of wasters) Teagasc ( Funded by the farmers and what is their purpose??) All watching their own corner and laughing at the farmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Demand for beef is falling, dairying is worth more to the economy than sucklers ever will be...... too many animals in the country....green gas emissions etc etc.

Give it a few years suckler farming will be a niche business and only then might there be a few quid out of it.

Talking of boycotting factories, supermarkets etc is unfortunately just a waste of good time.

Should we just do nothing......maybe. By the way doesn’t mean I’m happy with the situation but sometimes you have to known when the battle is lost.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Demand for beef is falling, dairying is worth more to the economy that sucklers ever will be...... too many animals in the country....green gas emissions etc etc.

Give it a few years suckler farming will be a niche business and only then might there be a few quid out of it.

Talking of boycotting factories, supermarkets etc is unfortunately just a waste of good time.

Should we just do nothing......maybe. By the way doesn’t mean I’m happy with the situation but sometimes you have to known when the battle is lost.

And poor prices across Europe, easy now for a buyer to turn to another country if you rise price, you have to be competitive at the end of the day.
    Ireland is the cheapest beef but costs extra to get to mainland Europe
    Too much dairy beef now too, processors can buy that anywhere in Europe but our suckler beef had a demand

• Advertisement

Is it worth looking into the Dairy men getting a grant of say €50 for every bull calf born and for them to be put down, instead of this €40 grant to suckler farmers
    Or is this too simplistic a view on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Demand for beef is falling, dairying is worth more to the economy than sucklers ever will be...... too many animals in the country....green gas emissions etc etc.

The bull calf from the dairy herd is going to have tone go the Bobby-calf road too, the believe from teagasc/journal etc that lads are going to keep rearing calves to beef nd at a lost/barely break-even is dumb-fonding.....
    The crap been spouted re sexed semen and more better breed beef bulls been is simply window dressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The bull calf from the dairy herd is going to have tone go the Bobby-calf road too, the believe from teagasc/journal etc that lads are going to keep rearing calves to beef nd at a lost/barely break-even is dumb-fonding.....
    The crap been spouted re sexed semen and more better breed beef bulls been is simply window dressing

As long as lads are willing g to pay stupid money in the calf ring, this will continue on. The dairy man /woman just takes the price there. The last couple of trips to the mart with calves amazed me. Getting near 100 euro over what's being paid in the yard. Farmer buyers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

My understanding is sexed semen results are only average, could we develop a veal business in this country. Can’t see how they will square the circle with our farming image if we have to deal with Bobby calves.

Trying to put meat on Jerseys and Holsteins is akin to trying to fatten a greyhound.

From my perspective having given it a lot of consideration I’m going to cut back and play the system as much as possible. Better than being a busy fool for someone elae

Neighbour sold beef this week from dairy bred anguses 7Rs and an O
    So the Rs are out there somewhere. rearers should stop buying the potential Os
    Shouldn't need a destruction scheme if the dairy farmers couldn't move the poorer ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Neighbour sold beef this week from dairy bred anguses 7Rs and an O
    So the Rs are out there somewhere. rearers should stop buying the potential Os
    Shouldn't need a destruction scheme if the dairy farmers couldn't move the poorer ones

I know from my last few trips to the mart certain farmers want my calves. They are happy with the calves, I'm happy with the price. They know they are getting good Angus calves from British friesian cows. Takes the lucky bag risk out of it

whelan2 wrote: »
    I know from my last few trips to the mart certain farmers want my calves. They are happy with the calves, I'm happy with the price. They know they are getting good Angus calves from British friesian cows. Takes the lucky bag risk out of it

Magic words there is british friesian,
    factory told neighbour that he should get QA, He'd have 12c/kg extra, I told him he'd be unlikely to find that percentage of Rs again, He only has eight, imagine trying for QA and maybe only one or two being good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Maximise subsidy , minimise exposure to farming , in a subsidised marketplace it is virtually impossible to profit enough to subsist. The Beef plan movement can ensure that farmers are compensated in return for providing a subsidised product : ensure subsidy is transparent and not watered down by govt agencies and 3rd parties .French farming is a template for them , highly radicalised and highly subsidised.

Magic words there is british friesian,
    factory told neighbour that he should get QA, He'd have 12c/kg extra, I told him he'd be unlikely to find that percentage of Rs again, He only has eight, imagine trying for QA and maybe only one or two being good enough

You get QA on all cattle above O= most angus grade that or better QA is a gimme the first time. For some one with only 10-12 cattle and selling in 1 or 2 goes Qa is very easy to manage. A well if QA you can get the AA bonus. Some plants you have a once off registeration fee other jus pay it flat anyway. Some factorys along with not paying QA will penalize you another 10-20c/kg or not take you cattle for slaughter anyway.

Even if you are only getting the 12c/kg and AA bonus on a 330 kg Carcass it is worth 72 euro/head.

As a matter where did he send them were they machine graded or eye graded. Even at that there is a factory in the midlands where the price is sh!te but Friesians will grade ''R'' or so I am told with certain loads. Having said that after transport you are no better off.

Slava Ukrainii

From the Clare WhatsApp group;
    Gort Mart tonight at 8pm.

Everybody from the counties of Clare and Galway this is your meeting tonight.

Make sure everybody on this page goes and also send a txt to every farmer on your phone in particular the people not on what's app .

You should get them to do likewise. Ring a few local farmers and fill your car. This is a team effort,all it takes is a call . You will not win this battle on our own.

The time has come to stand up and fight for your right to farm.

If you can retype and send the below message to all farmers on your phone.

" Beef Plan meeting in Gort mart tonight 8pm last chance for Beef and suckler farmers .The time has come to stand up and fight. You cant afford to miss this meeting.Pass on this message to all farmers involved in beef. "
    Eamon Corley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You get QA on all cattle above O= most angus grade that or better QA is a gimme the first time. For some one with only 10-12 cattle and selling in 1 or 2 goes Qa is very easy to manage. A well if QA you can get the AA bonus. Some plants you have a once off registeration fee other jus pay it flat anyway. Some factorys along with not paying QA will penalize you another 10-20c/kg or not take you cattle for slaughter anyway.

Even if you are only getting the 12c/kg and AA bonus on a 330 kg Carcass it is worth 72 euro/head.

As a matter where did he send them were they machine graded or eye graded. Even at that there is a factory in the midlands where the price is sh!te but Friesians will grade ''R'' or so I am told with certain loads. Having said that after transport you are no better off.

QA has feck all to do with grades. Every packet of mince they send out is QA on the consumer side whether it came from a fancy bullock or a 12 year old p cow. It's only free advertising for them

Mooooo wrote: »
    QA has feck all to do with grades. Every packet of mince they send out is QA on the consumer side whether it came from a fancy bullock or a 12 year old p cow. It's only free advertising for them

I agree QA had little to do with grades and that meat from cattle that do not get QA payment because of grading O- or below is soldas QA. However QA is paid on all cattle above O=. Wrangler post was giving the opinion any O grade cattle did not get QA which is incorrect

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I think beef plan is going the way I feared it would. It’s a populist movement and like any populist movement has done absolutely nothing to contain peoples expectations. What’s worse a lot of it’s members are using it as a stick to beat the established farm organizations with.

When the buzz dies I have a feeling the emperor will be found to have no clothes on. And then all that will be achieved is a weakening of our representative bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I think beef plan is going the way I feared it would. It’s a populist movement and like any populist movement has done absolutely nothing to contain peoples expectations. What’s worse a lot of it’s members are using it as a stick to beat the established farm organizations with.

When the buzz dies I have a feeling the emperor will be found to have no clothes on. And then all that will be achieved is a weakening of our representative bodies.

What's the alternative?

It mightn't, If it fails it'll just prove that IFA did all it could,
    If by some freak that farmers do withold cattle and it succeeds, then it proves what I was saying......without a lever we were at nothing.
    Cattle will have to be witheld for more than a day or even a week Most processor would have access to enough cattle to keep them going for a long time, Unlike the protest in 2000 the gates won't be blocked, they'll be able to bring in their own cattle.
    IFA was reasonably unaffected by the reforming of ICSA, This'll be the same

Trade is fairly sick now, wonder why they're not moving.....7000 farmers should be able to be disruptive.
    Sure won't prices be rising after christmas anyway.......or so I'd be told

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Need to pick winnable fights and take baby steps; e.g. carcass trim - aim to get a farmer/rep on the factory floor to check nothing underhand is going on.

This isn’t the be all and end all but is more realistic than trying to get lads to withhold cattle for days or weeks on end

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I couldn't make it to Gort last night, but watched the video there. All I can say is play play to them. Raised some very good points. If they come to Clare, I'll be there.

• Advertisement

Need to pick winnable fights and take baby steps; e.g. carcass trim - aim to get a farmer/rep on the factory floor to check nothing underhand is going on.

This isn’t the be all and end all but is more realistic than trying to get lads to withhold cattle for days or weeks on end

Processors wouldn't allow it and even if they did he wouldn't be a month in the place before he'd be accused of being in the factory pocket....you couldn't make it up really.
    That was the problem before mechanical grading, no one trusted the graders, there is no answer to this. If you go back here posters were accusing dept AOs of letting factories see their records

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Trade is fairly sick now, wonder why they're not moving.....7000 farmers should be able to be disruptive.
    Sure won't prices be rising after christmas anyway.......or so I'd be told

It's over 10 thousand now. And there not moving because their sticking to the plan. And the plan is to have 40k before they start proper. In fairness you properly need that number to make it meaningful. The trade is gone to ****e altogether so that will help to swell their ranks aswell. Their putting in some time and effort travelling around the country trying to get it going, it's a shame the messiah from the west didn't take a leaf outta their book rather then sitting on his hands, but why would he sure isn't milk going grand.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    It's over 10 thousand now. And there not moving because their sticking to the plan. And the plan is to have 40k before they start proper. In fairness you properly need that number to make it meaningful. The trade is gone to ****e altogether so that will help to swell their ranks aswell. Their putting in some time and effort travelling around the country trying to get it going, it's a shame the messiah from the west didn't take a leaf outta their book rather then sitting on his hands, but why would he sure isn't milk going grand.

IFA didn't put out the hand of friendship to ICSA all those years ago either, This crowd have met IFA haven't they. I've heard so much gossip about them, I don't know what to believe.
    Farmers wouldn't withold cattle in 2013, can't see them giving support to IFA to do it now. Any way the BPM would be better off to be independent of IFA at the moment

BPM Meeting here IN Mullingar tonight

Are you going?

Are you going?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

IFA didn't put out the hand of friendship to ICSA all those years ago either, This crowd have met IFA haven't they. I've heard so much gossip about them, I don't know what to believe.
    Farmers wouldn't withold cattle in 2013, can't see them giving support to IFA to do it now. Any way the BPM would be better off to be independent of IFA at the moment

I wasn't referring to any meetings or getting the ifa in behind them. I was on about the inaction over the the last number of years. But more importantly the realisation that you can't just send out a txt and expect an army of farmers to turn up. These people need to be stirred up and got going, radical protest doesn't come naturally to us. I think the BPM guys understand this and that's where the other farm organisations always fall down. It's a sad statement really but allot of farmers need help to convince/motivate them to back a plan that's designed to help them.
    I can see perfectly well how it frustrated you over the years.

Will you go to the meeting? Twould help kill a piece of the evening for you!

• Advertisement

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to any meetings or getting the ifa in behind them. I was on about the inaction over the the last number of years. But more importantly the realisation that you can't just send out a txt and expect an army of farmers to turn up. These people need to be stirred up and got going, radical protest doesn't come naturally to us. I think the BPM guys understand this and that's where the other farm organisations always fall down. It's a sad statement really but allot of farmers need help to convince/motivate them to back a plan that's designed to help them.
    I can see perfectly well how it frustrated you over the years.

Will you go to the meeting? Twould help kill a piece of the evening for you!

I put a lot of work into ICSA, Farmers were generous too, I think we were collecting €50/hd, beef farmers were looking for an alternative at the time too. didn't take off the way I thought it would
    BPM could do worse than meet them, Their chief exec Eddie Punch is very good. Office and infrastructure in place in the centre of the country

I put a lot of work into ICSA, Farmers were generous too, I think we were collecting €50/hd, beef farmers were looking for an alternative at the time too. didn't take off the way I thought it would
    BPM could do worse than meet them, Their chief exec Eddie Punch is very good. Office and infrastructure in place in the centre of the country

That makes sense. Crazy to have to go putting all this work into something that's already in place. At the very least, they could benefit from their expertise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I watched most of the video but lost patience with the Q&A session as unfortunately you cannot hear most of the audience questions/comments.

One thing thing that Eamon Corley said that caught my attention was in relation to producer groups. He said that some of our producer groups could sell directly from farm to the customers base (via contracts with smaller abattoirs) at the cost of production plus a margin so if a few farmers can get it everyone will want it.

I thought the movement was going trying to get the same deal for all farmers or did I pick it up wrong. It's at 18.00 on the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

That makes sense. Crazy to have to go putting all this work into something that's already in place. At the very least, they could benefit from their expertise.

Couldnt agree more. We need as many competent speakers as possible representing us. They have been there before.

Base price wrote: »
    I watched most of the video but lost patience with the Q&A session as unfortunately you cannot hear most of the audience questions/comments.

One thing thing that Eamon Corley said that caught my attention was in relation to producer groups. He said that some of our producer groups could sell directly from farm to the customers base (via contracts with smaller abattoirs) at the cost of production plus a margin so if a few farmers can get it everyone will want it.

I thought the movement was going trying to get the same deal for all farmers or did I pick it up wrong. It's at 18.00 on the video.

You have to get out there and sell the whole animal, extraemely hard work and you could be competing with the abbatoir that's slaughtering. for you.
    They'll be competing for local markets too, you don't want to go that route.
    Corley should've stayed with his producer group and worked on that, they're not going to run all ireland as one group, if they could gather 1000 cattle a week they'd be better off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement