Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Callan's Kicks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

New series begins Friday night at 6.30pm.

The return is badly timed - can’t see anything happening in Irish Politics in the next few weeks.

:pac:

Can’t stand that negative nult now, he should have stuck to what he calls ‘comedy’ .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,222 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Sean O’Rourke interviewing the presidential candidates was good, although the Boris Johnson impersonation has become a bit tiresome now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Boris Johnson ... has become a bit tiresome now.
    FYP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Great to see Callan's Kicks's back on air.
    He had some excellent sketches and rants in the last series. Hope this one lives-up to last.

It's not supposed to be just comedy; it's satire. To ridicule and be scathing about his targets. I think he succeeds - not always but often enough.
    I don't believe a satirist is expected to be constructive or provide solutions, or pull punches.

A bit of repetition in this week's episode but I'm happy to hear Boris or Leo again whereas Enda became tedious quickly.

And many of his impersonations - voices and vocals - are spot-on! No easy task I imagine. How many hours of writing,rehearsal and editing.

Some revealing information often included in his rants too. E.g. on the housing crisis. This week: a presidential canditate who promised to donate salary to charity and didn't. News to me. Or the detail of MMartin ordering green tea in a bar. Still makes me smile - cruelly.

Think I'll find the podcast to listen again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I love his miggledy stuff. I wonder has it been compiled in s YouTube clip or anywhere.

• Advertisement

Oliver Callan doing a great impression of Michael D right now on Radio 1.

Oh wait :pac: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Oliver Callan doing a great impression of Michael D right now on Radio 1.

Oh wait :pac: :D

I woke up during the post budget interview with Sean O'Rourke during the week and in my drowsy state I was certain it was Callan's Kicks I was listening to for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

I was never a fan, but I thought it was pretty good this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

plodder wrote: »
    I was never a fan, but I thought it was pretty good this evening.

No “Liberal Ladies” tonight sadly. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,997 ✭✭✭✭zell12

No “Liberal Ladies” tonight sadly. :(
    I guess a Síofrah and an Aoifah were too identifiable and spoke to daddy lawyer

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    I guess a Síofrah and an Aoifah were too identifiable and spoke to daddy lawyer

I think it’s Ciara actually.....

‘Callan Kicks The Year’ this afternoon on Radio 1 at 1.30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

‘Callan Kicks The Year’ this afternoon on Radio 1 at 1.30pm.

That's just a rehash of stuff we've already heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jay Zee wrote: »
    That's just a rehash of stuff we've already heard

Rte guide says it’s a new episode - lets see

Rte guide says it’s a new episode - lets see

Edit. Seems to be new intro segments that segue into material from earlier in the year.

Edit. Seems to be new intro segments that segue into material from earlier in the year.

Jeez... hey it’s ‘Xmas’ you don’t expect anything live or new from RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

That was terrible rubbish, but seeing it's RTE we'll definitely hear more. Maybe better in smaller doses. Anyway, I'll try and avoid.

That was terrible rubbish, but seeing it's RTE we'll definitely hear more. Maybe better in smaller doses. Anyway, I'll try and avoid.

Absolutely, ties in with Callan trying to make a name for himself as a ‘journalist’ or ‘columnist’ on the back of hammering everything the Taoiseach does.

Lazy lazy crud only appreciated by those who are unable to think outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Absolutely, ties in with Callan trying to make a name for himself as a ‘journalist’ or ‘columnist’ on the back of hammering everything the Taoiseach does.

Lazy lazy crud only appreciated by those who are unable to think outside the box.

Stults, Brenner, stults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I listened to Colm O'Regan's programme today and it was everything Callan is not; funny, subtle, clever - a delight.

How can RTE continue to dish up Callan's rubbish while someone of Regan's vastly superior talent is available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

First Up wrote: »
    I listened to Colm O'Regan's programme today and it was everything Callan is not; funny, subtle, clever - a delight.

How can RTE continue to dish up Callan's rubbish while someone of Regan's vastly superior talent is available?

First time I heard Colm I felt the same. However, he often has a slot on Drivetime and it is so samey samey. I was at a book presentation for schools two years running and he was the special guest. First year, he was great. Second year, he repeated his presentation!

honeybear wrote:
    First time I heard Colm I felt the same. However, he often has a slot on Drivetime and it is so samey samey. I was at a book presentation for schools two years running and he was the special guest. First year, he was great. Second year, he repeated his presentation!

Well Callan pretty well repeats his stuff every show!

O'Regan was brilliant today. I don't know his capacity for new material but I know that I'd make a point of listening to him whereas with Callan I just switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I heard the Callan show and thought it was good. Not his best by any means, but some of the sketches were good. Particularly the stuff about Michael D Higgins. And in reference to him be a "journalist", he was the only person in the media here to have the balls to say on live TV how dangerous is it for one man Denis O'Brien to have such a stranglehold over the media in this country. So for that alone I would consider him as having done some service.

Colm O'Regan has never been funny. Predictable cliché humour about Irish mammies and tired Irish "observations". He has a good voice and should stick to voicing advertisements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

The Callan thing is just about one step above Joe Duffy's funny Friday.

Colm O'Regan has never been funny. Predictable cliché humour about Irish mammies and tired Irish "observations". He has a good voice and should stick to voicing advertisements.

He was very funny today. No, he didn't challenge media moguls, parody Michael D or slag Leo Varadkar but his stuff was witty and clever and I'd be happy to hear a lot more of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukonmaki

Has Callan's Kicks been scrapped? Been 6 weeks or more since it appeared on my podcast list!!

lukonmaki wrote: »
    Has Callan's Kicks been scrapped?
    No.
    RTE wrote:
    Callan’s Kicks returns to our airwaves for its 13th series next Friday 8th February.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukonmaki

serfboard wrote: »

Cheers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

lukonmaki wrote: »
    Has Callan's Kicks been scrapped? Been 6 weeks or more since it appeared on my podcast list!!

Unfortunately not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He was on Marion Finucane over the weekend. A very non-impressed Marion left just a couple of quiet seconds of 'dead air' after each of his little routines to make it clear that she wasn't laughing. He came across as a bit of an ass, almost begging for a sponsor for his podcast.

He was on Marion Finucane over the weekend. A very non-impressed Marion left just a couple of quiet seconds of 'dead air' after each of his little routines to make it clear that she wasn't laughing. He came across as a bit of an ass, almost begging for a sponsor for his podcast.

It's niche, but I'd consider sponsoring it.

As effectively the only show on RTÉ that dares to mock, satirize, or criticise the establishment (and indeed RTÉ itself, I like it. The quality of the impressions and the sketches admittedly vary, but I like it......and some people on various Radio Threads would have you believe I hate everything, so that must be saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,997 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Excellent send up of Joe Duffy in latest installment
    https://player.fm/series/2281704

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

BS. Ireland can't do comedy.

mattser wrote: »
    Ireland can't do comedy.
    Yes, because it has been scientifically proven that we have less funny people per head of population than any other country ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

He was on Marion Finucane over the weekend. A very non-impressed Marion left just a couple of quiet seconds of 'dead air' after each of his little routines to make it clear that she wasn't laughing.

Well given that he is the only comedian with the balls to do impressions of the sacred cows like Finucane and Duffy, I'm surprised that they let him in the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well given that he is the only comedian with the balls to do impressions of the sacred cows like Finucane and Duffy, I'm surprised that they let him in the door.

You never watched The Savage Eye then, with Joe tweaking his nipple clamps while ramping up the misery meter? Or saw the Apres Match or Irish Pictorial Weekly guys ripping off Joe Duffy and the woman from Clontarf?

You never watched The Savage Eye then, with Joe tweaking his nipple clamps while ramping up the misery meter? Or saw the Apres Match or Irish Pictorial Weekly guys ripping off Joe Duffy and the woman from Clontarf?

I think it was implied the poster meant “presently”.

mattser wrote: »
    BS. Ireland can't do comedy.
    yeah, Ed Byrne, Dara O'Briain, Dylan Moran

*extremely taxi driver accent*
    "Sure I could do that"

Disappointed there was no "Liberal Ladies", hopefully you'll include that next week if you're reading this Oliver. ;)

The flip-flopping of the host to whatever side of the debate the caller was on was a nice touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Just listened back. The random o'shea with interpreter skit was hilarious.

The Simon Harris voicemail sketch was pretty funny too. And yeah, he should bring back the Liberal Ladies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Genghis

I thought the last sketch was excellent, particularly the Tommy Gorman Vs Tony Connolly parody. Also like the Sharon Ni Bheolatron character, I imagine Sharon might not though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Surprised he gets away with much of it TBH. But this country protects its own and always did.

I absolutely loved his parody of Marian Finucane and her red wine and fags obsession. Good enough for her.

I think his take of Vlad and Murphy is excellent.

But.... it is not funny by any stretch. It is entertaining though. In a mild enough way, has to be, given the potential for court cases here.

Genghis wrote: »
    I thought the last sketch was excellent, particularly the Tommy Gorman Vs Tony Connolly parody. Also like the Sharon Ni Bheolatron character, I imagine Sharon might not though ;)

The SNíB sketch has been a staple for years but wasn't on last season I assume as her and Dobbo had been split from Six One (which was the basis for those sketches).

Agree the Tommy v Tony was amusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

got to admit, the man is good at the voices, gets a lot of them spot on.

NIMAN wrote: »
    got to admit, the man is good at the voices, gets a lot of them spot on.

Very poor at MLMCD.

Should forget that one.

He’s the best sketch artist /mimic in this country

Streets ahead of rosenstock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very poor at MLMCD.

Should forget that one.

He's bad at women? I'd give him a by-ball on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Very poor at MLMCD.

Should forget that one.

Isn’t he a Shinner himself?

• Advertisement
Advertisement