Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Indices are quite common
    Nice watch enjoy :-)

The reference is 4832.31.32. I can’t see anything obviously wrong with it anyway. I’m not a Roman numerals guy personally, maybe in 10 years when I’m in my 40s but I feel like they’re too old looking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Many thanks to all of you for verification which would’ve cost me. I bought it off a Dutch guy on Chrono24 who seemed very genuine (yes I know). He had no box but had the papers/cards with the wallet. Sent me scans of his passport and utility bills before buying. One thing he said which was interesting was, the cut that Chrono24 take for the secure purchase is meaningless. Basically, if you organise the secure sale where the recipient has to sign for the item, it amounts to nothing as the seller can choose the shipment method, so basically the seller can send a box through UPS etc with a plastic swatch watch inside for what you think is your new Rolex...once you’ve signed without opening Chrono24 are off the hook. As far as they are concerned, you’ve signed and are happy with the goods and if you go back to them you’ve no comeback...so we went through PayPal, no charge additional charge with Chrono24.

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Many thanks to all of you for verification which would’ve cost me. I bought it off a Dutch guy on Chrono24 who seemed very genuine (yes I know). He had no box but had the papers/cards with the wallet. Sent me scans of his passport and utility bills before buying. One thing he said which was interesting was, the cut that Chrono24 take for the secure purchase is meaningless. Basically, if you organise the secure sale where the recipient has to sign for the item, it amounts to nothing as the seller can choose the shipment method, so basically the seller can send a box through UPS etc with a plastic swatch watch inside for what you think is your new Rolex...once you’ve signed without opening Chrono24 are off the hook. As far as they are concerned, you’ve signed and are happy with the goods and if you go back to them you’ve no comeback...so we went through PayPal, no charge additional charge with Chrono24.

As they say “buy the seller”. The whole C24 guaranteed thing is well known to be useless but there’s a ton of reputable sellers on there. Boxes and papers can be faked too so not having them in reality means very little

As far as I’m aware chrono24 hold the funds until the buyer is happy and then the funds are released, otherwise empty boxes would be turning up left right and centre

It’s held in escrow which is automated when you sign for it, it goes. It’s happening a lot, he warned me of it...he flips watches and had good feedback and I took a risky punt on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭893bet

https://www.adverts.ie/17539814

Possible it’s real. No hits from the serial number.

But the feedback coupled with the fake omega in the withdrawn adds.....

893bet wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/17539814

Possible it’s real. No hits from the serial number.

But the feedback coupled with the fake omega in the withdrawn adds.....

All that guy sells is fakes, no way would i touch this. I notice that a lot of the fakes are listed with addresses in more working class areas, and usually the sellers are selling . So for me any luxury watch listed with an address in finglas etc.. is immediately suspicious. The reality is in areas like that people generally can't afford a rolex, never mind a rolex, several pairs of high end shoes, and two or three canada goose jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭micks_address

wow thats a bold sweeping statement, fair enough the watch is a shi55ter and the seller is a scum bag trying to con people but to say an entire working class areas residents cant afford a rolex etc is absolute crap

Id agree with you but I do wonder sometimes when I see expensive items listed in area's that might have bad rep re crime etc. Another thing I've noticed is seller's listing watches in area's they don't live in which I find odd. I'll message them for an item listed in eg swords and they will say they are based in dundrum..

Time wrote: »
    All that guy sells is fakes, no way would i touch this. I notice that a lot of the fakes are listed with addresses in more working class areas, and usually the sellers are selling . So for me any luxury watch listed with an address in finglas etc.. is immediately suspicious. The reality is in areas like that people generally can't afford a rolex, never mind a rolex, several pairs of high end shoes, and two or three canada goose jackets.

Wtf. Plenty of people in Finglas who are cash rich and have a lot more disposable income than those that live in affluent areas. Not to mention, seeing as you are generalising, all those peasants in Finglas are more than likely involved in crime and expensive goods which are small such as jewellery and watches are often purchased and used to launder cash ;)

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Wtf. Plenty of people in Finglas who are cash rich and have a lot more disposable income than those that live in affluent areas. Not to mention, seeing as you are generalising, all those peasants in Finglas are more than likely involved in crime and expensive goods which are small such as jewellery and watches are often purchased and used to launder cash ;)

Look i wouldn't assume that nobody in those areas is able to afford luxury watches but the fact is its far far less likely that they can. Thats not a generalisation its a fact that can be verified by looking at income distribution on the CSO maps. Couple that with profiles that have large amounts of luxury goods that are regularly counterfeited and its reasonable to have suspicions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

This forum needs a ****e posting thread, its a shame polluting an informative thread with bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭emo72

Well, I take it no one is going to be buying a second hand Rolex, with minus 3 feedback anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Time wrote: »
    Look i wouldn't assume that nobody in those areas is able to afford luxury watches but the fact is its far far less likely that they can. Thats not a generalisation its a fact that can be verified by looking at income distribution on the CSO maps. Couple that with profiles that have large amounts of luxury goods that are regularly counterfeited and its reasonable to have suspicions.

Reminds me of a fella I know in work. He's a massive mortgage so he could buy a house with the right postcode. He works late, weekends and bank holidays to pay for it.

His boss lives in Cabra, drives a new Q7 and has a lovely collection of watches :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

oxocube wrote: »
    Reminds me of a fella I know in work. He's a massive mortgage so he could buy a house with the right postcode. He works late, weekends and bank holidays to pay for it.

His boss lives in Cabra, drives a new Q7 and has a lovely collection of watches :o

Haha.

Love those people that pride themselves in working like a dog to pay for an address because others are beneath
    them. Maybe when their headstone is being erected they can have the postcode of their still to be paid for house put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

oxocube wrote: »

Yet neither are a good indication of "success" if you will.

Health & Family the rest are just toys and trinkets. It's all relative to how you gauge success I know several well off couples that would give up all their supposed wealth for the kids they can't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I know several well off couples that would give up all their supposed wealth for the kids they can't have.

and I know for a fact that my parents would definitely have traded me for a nice watch several times when I was a youngster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Homer wrote: »
    and I know for a fact that my parents would definitely have traded me for a nice watch several times when I was a youngster :D

Ah they probably would've taken less if asked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Ah they probably would've taken less if asked :D

Fact :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Something not quite right here...

NzEzYmNjOTQ2MTFkYjE4YjA0MGI4Njk4MzY5NGFmZGO9IUS9LI4PhuVWdtn1WFK7aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNzE0Y2VlNWMxN2Y0ZjIyYzkzNDIwMTc4MTM5NDc2OWEzMDk3YTA4MWUzY2ZhMjEwZTFiMTgzM2Q4MmFlMDYxMi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTN4Mjk0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Case looks wrong, as do the numbers and can't seem to find any manual wind Seamasters with sub seconds that also has a six underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I wonder if it’s real 😂

https://www.adverts.ie/17959809

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

before it's nuked and people can only see a blue banner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Buy buy buy :D

For a cheap replica, they went to an awful lot of hassle to fake the bag/box and documents.

I've reported a few fake ad posts to adverts but they don't seem interested in taking them down

I've reported a few fake ad posts to adverts but they don't seem interested in taking them down

Links? Usually they are good enough. Miss the odd one.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

takes more than one report being submitted that is one of the reasons for this thread

Yeah, thats why some of us mods hang out here - *sometimes* a single report of a fake on an ad is effectively "he said, she said" and folks who may not be watch experts then have to decide; on threads like this there is usually a good consensus, or known experts that can help :)

In that case :

http://www.adverts.ie/15579437

http://www.adverts.ie/16006545

From the same seller. Once he makes a sale he deletes all pictures, and somehow changes the figure is was sold for by withdrawing the sale.

Sold one to me this way and when I contacted him he ignored me, I got pushy and he blocked me and told me he'd report me to the guards for being threatening, and left me a negative review to boot.

I got the neg review erased but that's all that happened. I've reported other watches since that clearly look fake now that I know better.

God knows how many he's cleared, pick them up for a fiver on eBay then sell them for ten times that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Those Oris watches have repainted dials and new crystals, most are from India. They're not original but I wouldn't say they're fake.

• Advertisement

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Those Oris watches have repainted dials and new crystals, most are from India. They're not original but I wouldn't say they're fake.

Are they vintage?

Advertisement