Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭Homer

Are they vintage?

Bits of them are?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've had this fella a couple of years now and always wondered if it was a fake, anyone help me?

Found this link here, but not sure of reliability of site so still not sure if it's a fake

https://arum24.es/product/hublot-s-ii-diver-shop-ref-4024-747/?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭893bet

Where did you buy it? And how much did you pay?

893bet wrote: »
    Where did you buy it? And how much did you pay?

I didn't buy it, was won in a poker game, guy put it in and said was worth a few quid, he put it in for 200, I liked the look of it, told him if I won it he had 2wks to buy it back for the 200, never bothered, my full house won it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There is a rule of thumb for Hublot.
    If you didn't buy it from an AD yourself, it's likely fake.
    They are one of the most faked and perfected fakes out there.
    Lots of people won't buy them 2nd hand due to that.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    I didn't buy it, was won in a poker game, guy put it in and said was worth a few quid, he put it in for 200, I liked the look of it, told him if I won it he had 2wks to buy it back for the 200, never bothered, my full house won it

With out even looking at the pictures that would suggest a 99% chance it’s fake (unless the chap you were playing is a multi millionaire).

banie01 wrote: »
    There is a rule of thumb for Hublot.
    If you didn't buy it from an AD yourself, it's likely fake.
    They are one of the most faked and perfected fakes out there.
    Lots of people won't buy them 2nd hand due to that.
    893bet wrote: »
    With out even looking at the pictures that would suggest a 99% chance it’s fake (unless the chap you were playing is a multi millionaire).

He is minted, just didn't have a good night, I see what you mean about perfect fakes, if this is a fake it's a damn good one, quality is pretty excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

He is minted, just didn't have a good night, I see what you mean about perfect fakes, if this is a fake it's a damn good one, quality is pretty excellent.

Unfortunately, looking at the corrosion level on it, it may well be a fake. Unless it spent some time being kept in a salt vat.

Wear and tear is often a good indicator, as base metal plated does not stand up as well to good quality solid stainless.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Unfortunately, looking at the corrosion level on it, it may well be a fake. Unless it spent some time being kept in a salt vat.

Wear and tear is often a good indicator, as base metal plated does not stand up as well to good quality solid stainless.

Thanks, I'm still gonna wear it at times as I like it, but what has amazed me is, if its a fake, how damn good it is, the detail and quality of it is something else for a copy

Thanks, I'm still gonna wear it at times as I like it, but what has amazed me is, if its a fake, how damn good it is, the detail and quality of it is something else for a copy

Get it checked out.
    It could well be high quality fake, it may not.

Any decent jeweller would look at it and tell you one way or the other, usually FoC.

But agreed on the sentiment. I have an old thing I got on Canal Street in NYC, and I wouldn't part with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,878 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If it’s real he would hardly have put it in for 200

Cyrus wrote: »
    If it’s real he would hardly have put it in for 200

I'd have to agree.

Like, if you said you bought it for 200 euros I'd say that's a clear red flag and the watch is presumed fake until proven otherwise. Too good to be true, even allowing for a little more deviation from "true" value during a poker game.

So a bit of an update on this, someone mentioned the corrosion on back led them to believe it was a fake so I decided to give it a good clean, the crap on the back was from the original clear sticker on the back, took that off and it's in mint condition.
    A friend of a friend sorta knows the guy who I won it off and apparently he used to be renowned for placing mad stuff in for a few hundred quid and reckons he's the type of guy who would wear an original.

Here's the new pics after clean up, with the quality of it I'm like 70/30 in favour of being genuine now, rather than the 50/50 I was last week.

Will take it to a decent jeweller in next week or so and let you all know

So a bit of an update on this, someone mentioned the corrosion on back led them to believe it was a fake so I decided to give it a good clean, the crap on the back was from the original clear sticker on the back, took that off and it's in mint condition.
    A friend of a friend sorta knows the guy who I won it off and apparently he used to be renowned for placing mad stuff in for a few hundred quid and reckons he's the type of guy who would wear an original.

Here's the new pics after clean up, with the quality of it I'm like 70/30 in favour of being genuine now, rather than the 50/50 I was last week.

Aye, that certainly rules out some doubts.
    Get it checked!

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Aye, that certainly rules out some doubts.
    Get it checked!

Only way to be sure is pop the hood off. I wouldn’t even trust a dealer as they wouldn’t be familiar with the model.

Are they Flat head screws on the case back?

Yes, the engraving on back and strap lock is properly engraved and not just etched, maybe another reason why it may, just may, be genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yes and I'd say it's either been off before or it's fake. I don't know much about watches but I'd imagine high end watch builders would line up the screws in the same orientation.

Perhaps it's just my ocd :(

Yes, the engraving on back and strap lock is properly engraved and not just etched, maybe another reason why it may, just may, be genuine

If the screws are flat it is very very likely fake.
    Hublot use a slotted screw that's notched. Needs a notched driver to turn.
    The look flat, but are recessed further on each side of centre

The model number on the case back throws up this https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/hublot/subaquaneus/1951.1/29205/item/62148.

How does that compare to yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Are you thinking they should be 'H' screws? All the pics of an S-II that I can find show flat head screws, although of course I can't be absolutely certain they are genuine either!

A pic of the clasp might be helpful.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Yes and I'd say it's either been off before or it's fake. I don't know much about watches but I'd imagine high end watch builders would line up the screws in the same orientation.

Perhaps it's just my ocd :(

Orientation for Hublot Bezel screws in particular is a common tell.

If the screws are flat it is very very likely fake.
    Hublot use a slotted screw that's notched. Needs a notched driver to turn.
    The look flat, but are recessed further on each side of centre

The model number on the case back throws up this https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/hublot/subaquaneus/1951.1/29205/item/62148.

How does that compare to yours?

Damn, Big one here is digits on dial go 10,20,30. The one in pick goes up in incriments of 5 and has a black dot

Anjobe wrote: »
    Are you thinking they should be 'H' screws? All the pics of an S-II that I can find show flat head screws, although of course I can't be absolutely certain they are genuine either!

A pic of the clasp might be helpful.

Pics of clasp

Here's another gen to compare with.
    https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/18241281-hublot-s-ii-turnlock-2000-meters-diver-1951-1-men-2000-2010

Looks like H screws on the back to me in those pics but it may be lighting.

The Bezel on your watch is totally off.
    Maybe a special order? Or fake?

Actually does the turnlock function work?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Is that dirt or crap welding on the clasp ?

Maybe a bad pic but no dirt or no sign of crap welding

Here's another gen to compare with.
    https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/18241281-hublot-s-ii-turnlock-2000-meters-diver-1951-1-men-2000-2010

Looks like H screws on the back to me in those pics but it may be lighting.

The Bezel on your watch is totally off.
    Maybe a special order? Or fake?

Actually does the turnlock function work?

That's the only thing that is saying 'fake' to me, the bezel, I've said it earlier, the build quality is something else, I've a few decent (tw steel, eco drives) and this pisses all over them.

Would any jeweller look at it or should I pop into a certain one?

That's the only thing that is saying 'fake' to me, the bezel, I've said it earlier, the build quality is something else, I've a few decent (tw steel, eco drives) and this pisses all over them.

Would any jeweller look at it or should I pop into a certain one?

Weirs are I think the Hublot dealer in Ireland.
    Not sure if I'd ask them tho, maybe contact Hublot with the serial number.
    Is the serial number also visible on the clasp and matching?

As for the quality, don't let that sway you too easily.
    Copies are available for some watches that are near exact down to weight and material used.
    Panerai and Hublot in particular have a lot of near exact copies out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

OmegaGene wrote: »
    100% this ^
    Hublot fakes are top notch, contact hublot themselves and they will check the serial number for you

Surely whoever faked it would just use a known serial number though, No?. Although they probably keep a list of fake watches and serial numbers they've seen.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Surely whoever faked it would just use a known serial number though, No?. Although they probably keep a list of fake watches and serial numbers they've seen.

And if you get multiple enquiries for the same serial?
    It flags to the manufacturer that it has been copied.
    Or see one for sale on a rep website you can check it as "known fake" serial.

• Advertisement

Damn, Big one here is digits on dial go 10,20,30. The one in pick goes up in incriments of 5 and has a black dot

The one on WF looks fake even. Zoom in on a pc to the 12 o clock bezel and its off centre.

Advertisement