Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭893bet

Agreed, they sometimes get it wrong too. Declaring a correct piece as incorrect, when the reality is they just don't know. Personally I would never buy a used piece without seeing it with the caseback off. If a seller is willing to advertise with pictures of the caseback off showing its markings, and the movement; then generally speaking, they; and the piece are genuine. Its something fake sellers will never do, remove the caseback for a prospective buyer. I always think its a good test, if they are confident in removing the caseback to prove a pieces provenance.

Agreed. Things are not always as they seem. Lots of untrustworthy sorts about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Agreed, they sometimes get it wrong too. Declaring a correct piece as incorrect, when the reality is they just don't know. Personally I would never buy a used piece without seeing it with the caseback off. If a seller is willing to advertise with pictures of the caseback off showing its markings, and the movement; then generally speaking, they; and the piece are genuine. Its something fake sellers will never do, remove the caseback for a prospective buyer. I always think its a good test, if they are confident in removing the caseback to prove a pieces provenance.

Even case back off in some cases isn't a great help unless the buyer is hugely experienced.
    Some pieces are available with fully cloned movements.
    Others have a decorated rotor and enough "dressing up" to pass even that cursory test if not very experienced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭theheavyhitter

893bet wrote: »
    Agreed. Things are not always as they seem. Lots of untrustworthy sorts about.

A big problem with vintage is Frankenwatches. I have seen some really convincing ones that are a mixture of genuine old parts, and made to look old dials and hands. The markings, movements, engravings, etc were all correct.
    But the dial and hands weren't original, the lume was stained to patina it, and dial oven baked most probably to give it the right vintage look.
    Archie did a good video on a Redline Submariner he was brokering, and found out it had the wrong (genuine Rolex) caseback from a 5513.
    This is why I avoid vintage as its a minefield, unless one takes the piece to a watchmaker who really knows what he is looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Luckily the community in Ireland is small enough to eliminate the untrustworthy characters

Maybe not eliminate, but they're certainly obvious when they show up.

With regards to watches, it's easy enough to google a good quality photo of a watch with the back off to compare with a fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Birneybau wrote: »
    Quartz watch, states automatic on the caseback

And 300Meters water resistant on the front, whereas it's 200M on the back. But all the detail aside, it looks horrendous...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Speaking of Fake watches, has anyone seen intime04 website ?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Jaysus, they actually sell Rolex papers to go along with the watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Graham1978 wrote: »
    Speaking of Fake watches, has anyone seen ****website ?

Rep watch websites is against the charter.

But some sites sell lots of fake designer gear and even give fake receipts from shops! :eek:
    Fake rolex box, rolex bag and papers can be had for €25. The top quality watches could fool someone, but the box and papers aren't as good quality imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Dodgy with a capital DODGE!

The seller seems a bit off

https://www.adverts.ie/17662872

Date window looks dodge. 5 very far left

Purchased from Trotters in Bethnal Green lol

edit - place actually exists

It’s a customised pvd thing with third party bits and pieces and the blue date wheel is one of them which is not aligned for the watch
    Horrid looking thing imo

Didn’t realise they had replaced the date wheel. Total franken aside from the pvd.

Agree it looks a total mess.

It’s a customised pvd thing with third party bits and pieces and the blue date wheel is one of them which is not aligned for the watch
    Horrid looking thing imo

Why on Earth would you mod a Rolex?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Eoin wrote: »

i wonder does Juan pablo know he is collaborating with that site:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

stumbled across this thread, has me wondering now...bought a watch for my old man off Chrono24. Omega, paid a good bit for it. Anyone care to take a look at pics and give their tuppence worth on its authenticity? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

TomasMacR wrote: »
    stumbled across this thread, has me wondering now...bought a watch for my old man off Chrono24. Omega, paid a good bit for it. Anyone care to take a look at pics and give their tuppence worth on its authenticity? thanks

Put up some good quality pics (use macro mode if your camera has it) and someone here will be able to give you an idea of whether its real or fake

• Advertisement

Time wrote: »
    Put up some good quality pics (use macro mode if your camera has it) and someone here will be able to give you an idea of whether its real or fake

tLN9bNf.jpg

DGAZPDK.jpg

What’s the reference number?

Also it looks like a serial number is printed on one of the lugs. I can just about see it.

Googling this will often reveal a lot about a watch (less hits the better).

What’s the reference number?

Also it looks like a serial number is printed on one of the mugs. I can just about see it.

Googling this will often reveal a lot about a watch (less hits the better).

Ref is 48323132.

I don't understand what you mean by serial number printed on one of the mugs?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Probably got "lugs" turned into "mugs" by spellcheck T.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ref is 48323132.

I don't understand what you mean by serial number printed on one of the mugs?

Sorry meant on the lugs. Typo. Number printed in tiny print on back of watch.

ah ok...I wouldn't have understood lugs either being honest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭scott1974

Sorry meant on the lugs. Typo. Number printed in tiny print on back of watch.

christ...no idea how you spotted that:eek:. had it right up to my face and thought it was a scratch until I took a photo and zoomed in. fair play. I take it this is a good sign?

38gllEN.jpg

christ...no idea how you spotted that:eek:. had it right up to my face and thought it was a scratch until I took a photo and zoomed in. fair play. I take it this is a good sign?

No hits when you google it is good!

Watch looks ok but not familiar with the model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

No hits when you google it is good!

Watch looks ok but not familiar with the model.

It’s an omega deville prestige, but I’m not sure of what the reference it is. Most of them have Roman numerals rather than just indices

Advertisement