Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

pac_man wrote: »
    Dublin have additional entries that will be released around the summer time.

Cheers, but im looking for an alternative really. Great as dublin is, I’d like to try something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

LaHaine wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any good marathons in Ireland in August/September/October? Dingle sold out, Galway bay seems to get dodgy reviews. Longford looks promising but a bit worried about heat.

There's a very scenic one in Monaghan at the end of September, if you don't mind a few hills and 4 loops of the same course

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Struggling to decide between joining club as senior or joining the same clubs Fit4Life. Has anyone else been in this position and how did you decide?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Goose76 wrote: »
    Struggling to decide between joining club as senior or joining the same clubs Fit4Life. Has anyone else been in this position and how did you decide?
    It really depends on the club and what range of levels the seniors cater for and what your ability is. Talk to the coach in the club in question and see what they think. You should find a group at a similar pace to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I see Run Galway Bay offer a double entry for their 10k at 10.30 and their half marathon at 12.15. Could one possibly keep warm in the interval? What could one do? It's early October and an interesting idea. But I'd have close on an hour between the finish of one and the start of the next

• Advertisement

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I see Run Galway Bay offer a double entry for their 10k at 10.30 and their half marathon at 12.15. Could one possibly keep warm in the interval? What could one do? It's early October and an interesting idea. But I'd have close on an hour between the finish of one and the start of the next

Would you have the possibility to have someone waiting for you there with a jacket and trousers for the break? Also, if possible, I'd definitely change tops between the 2 runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I see Run Galway Bay offer a double entry for their 10k at 10.30 and their half marathon at 12.15.

I'm genuinely curious, why on earth would anybody want to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

After a guy in my club did the Ballina 3 in 2 (three marathons in two days) a few weeks ago nothing surprises me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's probably aimed at people training for Dublin Marathon who want to do it as their last long run 3-4 weeks out from Dublin. It would be the equivalent of doing a 3/4 marathon which a lot of people do around that time. It'd work better though if they could enable participants to continue running after the 10k so there isn't a waiting period between the 2 events.

Because you can?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Because you can?

Because they can... run a 10k, wait for an hour and then run a half marathon?

People can do whatever they want but 99% of the time there is some rhyme or reason to what they are doing, this just seems like the worst of all worlds, all neither one thing nor the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Surely they would let you try out a few sessions before you join and then you can decide. Most clubs are fairly relaxed that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

In my club, it's based on pace, so the decision was made for me.

Because they can... run a 10k, wait for an hour and then run a half marathon?.

Yes, exactly. And then can say they ran 2 races in one day. No harm in that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

Because they can... run a 10k, wait for an hour and then run a half marathon?.

Yes, exactly. And then can say they ran 2 races in one day. No harm in that. :)
    And then let everyone on social media how awesome they were #bling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Probably a zillion answers to this in DCM threads but they are vast.

Is there a park and ride on the morning of DCM? Perhaps I'm late but any accommodation within a km of the bag drop is double price already. What do folk do from around the country? Been a while since I've run any marathonand a bit soon to start a DCM19 one. B&B better options as that is literally what you need? If someone knows where the relevant discussion is I would be much obliged if you can post a link to it, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Is there a park and ride on the morning of DCM? Perhaps I'm late but any accommodation within a km of the bag drop is double price already. What do folk do from around the country? Been a while since I've run any marathonand a bit soon to start a DCM19 one. B&B better options as that is literally what you need? If someone knows where the relevant discussion is I would be much obliged if you can post a link to it, thanks

Coming from Limerick I'd say the Red Cow is your best bet for a P+R. Don't think the Luas Red Line is affected until close to the race start time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As J said the Red Cow is probably best for park and ride...4 euro for all day parking and about the same for a return Luas fare into town. Travelodge in Blanch have rooms and breakfast on the night before DCM for 126 and it's about 800m from the commuter train to Connolly Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Plenty of free on street parking in the city centre on a Sunday, but I'd be looking for accommodation on a luas line and staying the night before.

RayCun wrote: »
    Plenty of free on street parking in the city centre on a Sunday, but I'd be looking for accommodation on a luas line and staying the night before.

Stayed at the Louis Fitz 2 years ago and they ran a shuttle bus on the morning and you can just get a luas back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

I parked in Citywest hotel and got the Luas in last year. Luas terminus is a five min walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Going to post a couple of questions here hope the right forum.

Long Background: Been back running almost a year now, had taken a long break due to sciatica/bulging disk issue and before that multiple breaks due to achilles. In this year have just had one break due to achilles and that wasn't injured due to running and I know what caused it so hopefully can avoid that injury in the future. 47 F In the last year have gotten good few parkruns done and pb is now 25.14, I've done two 10ks both tough ones fat turkey and sandymount run in the dark, pb 56 in howth. I'm now training for Half using HH novice. Have signed up for mini-marathon more to support a cause rather than the run itself, the Dubin Night run and RnR Half. HH Novice plan is really good and sticking to it really working for me. Running most runs at 6.30/km trying to go slower on the long runs and doing one interval session a week plus one s&c (need to do more s&c tbh). Heart rate is going down, staying injury free so far and building up the mileage.

Questions are:
    1) As well as the Half goal I want to improve my pb at 10k and make 10k something I am more comfortable with, have achieved that with 5k and 8k. Anything in particular I should do to meet that goal or will the half training get me there anyway?
    2) There's such a choice of races over the summer, and tbh I have half an eye on DCM now though I would have to get one of the returns at the start of the summer, are there any particular races that are favoured by DCM novices? I've heard Frank Duffy 10 mile is popular, any others?
    Going to join the novices mentored thread when it starts up, even if I don't make or get into DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Seesee wrote: »
    Going to post a couple of questions here hope the right forum.

Long Background: Been back running almost a year now, had taken a long break due to sciatica/bulging disk issue and before that multiple breaks due to achilles. In this year have just had one break due to achilles and that wasn't injured due to running and I know what caused it so hopefully can avoid that injury in the future. 47 F In the last year have gotten good few parkruns done and pb is now 25.14, I've done two 10ks both tough ones fat turkey and sandymount run in the dark, pb 56 in howth. I'm now training for Half using HH novice. Have signed up for mini-marathon more to support a cause rather than the run itself, the Dubin Night run and RnR Half. HH Novice plan is really good and sticking to it really working for me. Running most runs at 6.30/km trying to go slower on the long runs and doing one interval session a week plus one s&c (need to do more s&c tbh). Heart rate is going down, staying injury free so far and building up the mileage.

Questions are:
    1) As well as the Half goal I want to improve my pb at 10k and make 10k something I am more comfortable with, have achieved that with 5k and 8k. Anything in particular I should do to meet that goal or will the half training get me there anyway?
    2) There's such a choice of races over the summer, and tbh I have half an eye on DCM now though I would have to get one of the returns at the start of the summer, are there any particular races that are favoured by DCM novices? I've heard Frank Duffy 10 mile is popular, any others?
    Going to join the novices mentored thread when it starts up, even if I don't make or get into DCM.

Welcome to the Athletics forum.

If I understand you right stick with your half training and focus on that at the minute. As your fitness improves your times will too if all going well. Focus though at the minute on the half as that is your main goal. If at the end of the block you can then start a 10km training block or in the run up to the half do a 10km race and your time should improve if training is going well and you're following the plan.

There is the Dublin race series that leads to the marathon. They have a 10km, 10 mile and half. The half is normally the busiest out of these. All great races and well run. You can buy a bundle for these or enter individually.

If you have a nose on th sub-forum you'll find Athletics and running events, there is also a page updated by users with local races around the country so keep an eye on this.

There are plently of races as you say. Follow pop-up races and there is a Kia race series too. I think Athletics Ireland have one now too if I'm right.

All the very best and good luck with the goal. Have a read through others training logs and find people around your times and track their progress. Open a log yourself.

The half you are targeting is the RnR? That was a ferocious course last year so one of the toughest. Hopefully they have changed that. They night run can be a bit of a mess so mind yourself. You have picked two big events. Maybe have a look at a smaller one and club ones especially. There is the Terenure 5 mile in May and the Docklands 5km in June both run by clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

skyblue46 wrote: »
    As J said the Red Cow is probably best for park and ride...4 euro for all day parking and about the same for a return Luas fare into town. Travelodge in Blanch have rooms and breakfast on the night before DCM for 126 and it's about 800m from the commuter train to Connolly Station.

Usually no service on the Maynooth line for participants on the morning of the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Thanks aquinn for the reply. Looking back I was on this forum before way back in 2015, plenty of stop starts since then but this year has been the most consistent for me so fingers crossed.

I had a feeling I had picked two tricky ones which is why I wanted some advice before signing up for anything more. The night run should be ok, I did the run in the dark (mark pollock) last year and it was ok even though it was a huge crowd. I also did the sandymount run in the dark which is pretty hairy in parts but I survived. Rock n Roll sounds tough but I have plenty of time between now and then to get used to the distance and I could even run some of the route for training once they announce it.

I'll have a look at the sub-forms and maybe the Terenure. 5ks not so interesting now as parkrun fills that need!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Usually no service on the Maynooth line for participants on the morning of the marathon.

There was last year. I believe it got into Connolly about 8am (didn't go further than Connolly due to Irish Rail maintenance going on that weekend for some reason!). It was an option for me but drove in as suited better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

So how many miles/k's do you get out of your running footwear?

Zipppy wrote: »
    So how many miles/k's do you get out of your running footwear?

I generally replace mine every 500 miles. Good to have another pair or 2 of shoes in rotation too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Why was I trying to be clever and register for a local race in advance - pizzing rain here, the thoughts of going out in it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Seesee wrote: »
    Thanks aquinn for the reply. Looking back I was on this forum before way back in 2015, plenty of stop starts since then but this year has been the most consistent for me so fingers crossed.

I had a feeling I had picked two tricky ones which is why I wanted some advice before signing up for anything more. The night run should be ok, I did the run in the dark (mark pollock) last year and it was ok even though it was a huge crowd. I also did the sandymount run in the dark which is pretty hairy in parts but I survived. Rock n Roll sounds tough but I have plenty of time between now and then to get used to the distance and I could even run some of the route for training once they announce it.

I'll have a look at the sub-forms and maybe the Terenure. 5ks not so interesting now as parkrun fills that need!

The irish 5 mile is another one I really enjoyed in the lead up to DCM it might be a bit of a spin for you but the waterford viking run is also another one I enjoyed, it has a 1/4, HM and full but I am sure you find somthing closer to home

As far as I am aware, the RnR route has changed this year so back to its old one I think. I believe it was changed last year due to the Popes visit. I could be wrong though.

wont be long before the new DCM thread starts up again! I say the new mentor is being picked or contacted around now! should be a great thread looking forward to it again this year myself :)

Advertisement