Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I don't see how a simple answer is keyboard warrior stuff but as you'd prefer a longer answer I would be delighted to provide one.

Organisers go to a lot of bother to put on races. They make many simple requests of runners from time to time. They will ask that I wear my number on the front of my vest, that I run on the left hand side of the road, that I don't cut a particular corner on the course or that I don't wear headphones. Out of respect I will do what I am asked. It's as simple as that. An instruction is just that and I feel no need to defy them for my own needs.

He's banned himself, so he can't hear you. Which is ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Any suggestions for a nice run around Spanish Point (Clare)?. Out there for a wedding and will be staying at the Armada for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

New to this section, and reading through last couple of pages was surprised to see that headphones are not allowed in some races. Is this a common thing or very rare?

So far (only started running last year) I have never come across it. I only do local road races and fun runs in wicklow and wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

R.F. wrote: »
    New to this section, and reading through last couple of pages was surprised to see that headphones are not allowed in some races. Is this a common thing or very rare?

It is becoming more common. Runners wearing headphones often can't hear traffic, which is dangerous on open roads. They can't hear instructions from marshalls. They can't hear wheelchairs, ambulances, motorbikes coming behind them. They can't hear other runners overtaking and so veer out in front of them.

(Everyone says they are aware of their surroundings when listening to music, but still all of the above happen regularly)

People often think they need music when they are starting running. Nobody needs music to run. Try a few runs without headphones and you'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

That's true. Pretty much never run with headphones now, always wore them when I started.

Much prefer running without them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'm probably going explain this badly but wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. For the last 10 days or so I've been finding most of my runs a massive struggle compared to normal. Supposedly "easy" runs in particular - effort much higher, heart rate way up, pace way slower. I feel fine the rest of the time so not sick or anything, just knackered when it comes to running. Also tired muscles in my legs after sessions and long runs, which I never get normally. It feels like just being way less fit all of a sudden, but I didn't think fitness could just randomly drop like that. Sleep and diet both same as normal so no major changes there that would explain it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I can't imagine going to my GP with my only symptom being "I'm worse at running than I should be..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

eyrie wrote: »
    I'm probably going explain this badly but wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. For the last 10 days or so I've been finding most of my runs a massive struggle compared to normal. Supposedly "easy" runs in particular - effort much higher, heart rate way up, pace way slower. I feel fine the rest of the time so not sick or anything, just knackered when it comes to running. Also tired muscles in my legs after sessions and long runs, which I never get normally. It feels like just being way less fit all of a sudden, but I didn't think fitness could just randomly drop like that. Sleep and diet both same as normal so no major changes there that would explain it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I can't imagine going to my GP with my only symptom being "I'm worse at running than I should be..."

As I've been a couple of running books recently, the only other thing that springs to mind (if diet / sleep etc is ok as you say) is "overtraining" which seems to have some of those symptoms. But I wouldn't have thought you were guilty of that, going by Strava...?

Could be low iron levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

RayCun wrote: »
    Could be low iron levels.

+1, Just about to post the same.

Thanks, I was wondering about iron myself as I've had major issues with this in the past and am definitely prone to it. It felt different previously as I had a lot of dizziness too which I'm not having now, but it might be that all the same. Going to start taking it again and see if that helps. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Morning all. I'm getting married in September and hoping to run/jog the Derry Half Marathon at the start of said month.

I can run 5k in around 30-35 mins and do 1-2 fitness classes per week.

I'm wondering how to approach this, I'm not worried about time and just want to finish it. I've no doubt it will be a jog/walk day.

Any advice would be much welcome. Do I simply do 3-4 runs per week and have one run where I go longer and slowly increase my long run distance?

Thanks in advance.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    As I've been a couple of running books recently, the only other thing that springs to mind (if diet / sleep etc is ok as you say) is "overtraining" which seems to have some of those symptoms. But I wouldn't have thought you were guilty of that, going by Strava...?
    Oooh whatcha readin? Anything you'd recommend?

Good point actually although I wouldn't be worried about overtaining in my case, I've been taking the training fairly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

eyrie wrote: »
    Oooh whatcha readin? Anything you'd recommend?

Good point actually although I wouldn't be worried about overtaining in my case, I've been taking the training fairly easy.

The usual ones! Faster Road Racing at the minute, and finished The Art of Running Faster last week. Ones that get mentioned on here a fair bit.

No I think the grads plans are sensible in that respect, we're safe enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Morning all. I'm getting married in September and hoping to run/jog the Derry Half Marathon at the start of said month.

I can run 5k in around 30-35 mins and do 1-2 fitness classes per week.

I'm wondering how to approach this, I'm not worried about time and just want to finish it. I've no doubt it will be a jog/walk day.

Any advice would be much welcome. Do I simply do 3-4 runs per week and have one run where I go longer and slowly increase my long run distance?

Thanks in advance.

3-4 runs a week is the right approach with one of these being a longer run at the weekend or whenever suits your schedule.

I think if I were you I would find a 10K plan online and build up to that for time being and then follow a half marathon plan

Here is a novice plan but you will find plenty other ones online too https://www.halhigdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Novice-2-Half-Marathon-Printable.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

deisedude wrote:
    Here is a novice plan but you will find plenty other ones online too

Brilliant thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Any suggestions for a safe way to store cards at race? Assuming your travelling alone across the country and by public transport. There would be a baggage area, but not sure about leaving essential cards, train tickets etc there. Any suggestions appreciated 🙂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Never found a better idea than just having everything well hidden in the bag drop. Have had to do this with passport and plane tickets before. Just make sure it's wrapped up to be waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a safe way to store cards at race? Assuming your travelling alone across the country and by public transport. There would be a baggage area, but not sure about leaving essential cards, train tickets etc there. Any suggestions appreciated ��

Just get a flip Belt? I don’t even feel mine and I carry my phone and keys in it for every run I do. Perfect for cards if you get the zipped one.

Thanks Kelly girl, are they very secure? And how much would one cost? Thinking of doing the Mini Marathon in June, but I'm from Limerick so security of vital bits would be paramount, S🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks Kelly girl, are they very secure? And how much would one cost? Thinking of doing the Mini Marathon in June, but I'm from Limerick so security of vital bits would be paramount, S��

I find them really secure. Mine doesn’t budge and they are stretchy so very comfortable. I keep money and my parkrun barcode in the zipped pocket all the time and there’s a little key ring to attach your key to and then you tuck it into the belt. My iPhone in an Otterbox Defender (so big) cover fits into it too and I;ve carried gels etc too for marathons. Not sure what shops in Limerick would have them to try on but you’d get them online from the flipbelt webste for about €35 I think. As I said, I wear mine for every single run no matter how short so the price per wear is negligible.

• Advertisement

Thanks, 'Kelly' Will enquire

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Kellygirl wrote:
    I find them really secure. Mine doesn’t budge and they are stretchy so very comfortable. I keep money and my parkrun barcode in the zipped pocket all the time and there’s a little key ring to attach your key to and then you tuck it into the belt. My iPhone in an Otterbox Defender (so big) cover fits into it too and I;ve carried gels etc too for marathons. Not sure what shops in Limerick would have them to try on but you’d get them online from the flipbelt webste for about €35 I think. As I said, I wear mine for every single run no matter how short so the price per wear is negligible.

i picked up a v similar addidas version. great product

Got off the bus early, near a sports store after Parkrun. And they have 2 'belts' that would probably do the job. They both cost e20. Didn't really have a spare e20 today but will do next week. So will get one then, thank you 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Got off the bus early, near a sports store after Parkrun. And they have 2 'belts' that would probably do the job. They both cost e20. Didn't really have a spare e20 today but will do next week. So will get one then, thank you ��

Spiro, was that you getting off a bus earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Is it ok to split a long run into two runs on one day?
    Hubbie is following a plan that calls for 17km long run this weekend but we are doing a 10km race. I know people make up the mileage either side of the race. But I quite like taking in the atmosphere before and after a race. So would it be ok to do the race and then when we get home, step out to do the remainder of the mileage before getting changed and showered. But it will mean a break of probably 3 hours as we've to collect the child from my parents and they will keep us a bit of dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

If you are racing the race, race it and don't worry about the rest of the milage. Sure if you run it all out you won't be in the mood for running for a while :D

Otherwise, splitting up a long run into two negates a lot of the benefits of a long run, but doubles the washing, showering etc. It's better than not running, but not really a replacement. You could try doing the 17k run a few days before or after the 10k race, but you're probably messing around the the plan a bit more then. It's probably easiest to give the 10k a good go (maybe with a km or two warmup and cooldown) and not bother with the long run.

Warm-up 1-2k
    Cooldown 1-2k
    race 10k

no need to do an extra short run

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Thanks, 'Kelly' Will enquire

Any running belt will do - don’t see the appeal of the expensive flip belts myself

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭AhhHere

Cheap Flipbelt alternative: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZID6EFO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using one myself for 3 years and got the missus one too. Work a charm and 1/3 of the price of a flipbelt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Can anyone recommend any good marathons in Ireland in August/September/October? Dingle sold out, Galway bay seems to get dodgy reviews. Longford looks promising but a bit worried about heat.

Advertisement