Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k spending spree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gercoral wrote: »
    I don't understand how people don't have morals.
    I;ll get off me high horse in a minute but if I found money on the street, I put it into the nearest charity box or buskers box.
    I just don't feel right taking it. I'm quite happy with my lot, and it's not much.

That's the same as the person in the OP, theft. What you do is drop it into a Garda Station and then after 90 days, or whatever the limit is, the Gardaí will give you the money if it isn't claimed. Then you can give it to a charity or busker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Took all her friends and family out for meals every night for two weeks. And then ignored the bank trying to contact her.
    She knew what she was doing was wrong. She should have to pay back every penny.
    But agree with the above, why is she not looking for a job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Amazing how yer man that done something similar was jailed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/teenager-jailed-after-20-000-mistakenly-lodged-into-account-1.2933483

A lack of convictions is no reason to avoid a jail sentence for such a large sum.

Sexism of the highest level.

Lone parent me arse, every child has a father.

And I know what i'm talking about, my ex is claiming the One Parent Family Payment even though I am actively in my child's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

KC161 wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/teenager-jailed-after-20-000-mistakenly-lodged-into-account-1.2933483

A lack of convictions is no reason to avoid a jail sentence for such a large sum.

And I know what i'm talking about, my ex is claiming the One Parent Family Payment even though I am actively in my child's life.

Oh ho, a few people here won't like that. Although you are 100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

“Any young girl on social welfare like me would have done what I did.”
    No, they wouldn't dear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

Estrellita wrote: »
    No, they wouldn't dear.

Are ye going out together?

Are ye going out together?

What?

Oh ho, a few people here won't like that. Although you are 100% correct.

I've had the 'lone parent' card thrown at me in the past

I must stress though, I AM NOT HAVING A GO AT ANYONE.

But where is the consistency in the legal system?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Surprised this doesn't happen more often, IBANs are way too long and easy to get a digit wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Whenever a story like this is posted on facebook by the Independent or the Times there are streams of comments decrying 'But the bankers!!'.

How many years will pass before this line stops being trotted out? It's like the catch-all excuse for all sorts of abdication of financial responsibility.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    Surprised this doesn't happen more often, IBANs are way too long and easy to get a digit wrong.
    Rarely if ever did this happen with the old sort code/account number system.

That SEPA thing is a load of cobblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

If you're not living together, the child lives with her and you don't have joint custody then she is entitled to claim the One Parent Family Payment. It is means tested anyway so any money you are giving to support your child will be taken into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

A simple phone call would sort that, but, you'll have to pay her more money...

jca wrote: »
    A simple phone call would sort that, but, you'll have to pay her more money...

Paying money every week without fail.

The article from the Irish Times.
    A woman went on a massive spending spree after a bank accidentally deposited more than €51,000 into her account, a court has heard.

Margaret McDonnell (23) spent the money on items for her children, including bedclothes, clothes and shoes, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court was told on Wednesday.

For two weeks, Ms McDonnell ate out every night and bought gifts, including two crystal vases and a “crystal mushroom lamp”. She also brought family and friends out to dinner.

She spent a total of €24,946 from the accidental deposit. At Wednesday’s hearing, McDonnell, of Rathvilly Park, Finglas, Co Dublin, pleaded guilty to 13 counts of theft of cash from Bank of Ireland on dates between March 7th and 16th, 2013.

Judge Cormac Quinn adjourned the case to April next and ordered a Probation Service report to assess Ms McDonnell’s suitability for community service. Det Karl Smith told the court that, in March 2013, a Bank of Ireland customer went into the bank’s Finglas branch to get details for his account to allow the transfer of €51,808 into it from a foreign bank account.

He was given an IBAN number, but when the money did not show up later in his account he contacted the bank again. It was then discovered he had been given the details for Ms McDonnell’s account instead of his own.

The €51,808 had dropped into her account on March 6th. The following day, Ms McDonnell withdrew €5,000 from her account. Over the next nine days, she spent large amounts in Dunnes, Tesco, Heatons, Centra, Lifestyle Sports, Shoe Rack and New Look.

On discovering its mistake, the bank took back the €26,862 remaining from the original deposit. They also wrote to Ms McDonnell asking her to repay the rest of the money, but she ignored the letter. After her arrest, Ms McDonnell accepted full responsibility for spending the money.

She told gardaí that she had thought the money was hers as it was in her bank account. "I just went on a high. It was such a lot of money. It was in my account so as far as I was concerned it was mine,” she said. She said she spent the money “on everything and anything, stupid things”.

Asked if she was bothered by the fact she had stolen the money, she told gardaí: “If only you knew me, you would know I was bothered by this. “Any young girl on social welfare like me would have done what I did.” She said she ignored the letter from the bank because she was scared and had realised she had done something wrong.

Oisín Clarke BL, defending, said that his client had never had disposable income to spend before and had never been able to buy gifts for friends or family. He said Ms McDonnell had never been in trouble before and had always tried to live her life in an upright fashion.

Mr Smith said it was highly unlikely Ms McDonnell would re-offend. He said that she could not believe how stupid she had been. He said she had “flittered the money away” and had nothing to show for it.

Mr Clarke said Ms McDonnell was in receipt of €250-a-week in lone-parent allowance and could only afford to use €10 or €20 out of this to repay the stolen money.

If you're not living together, the child lives with her and you don't have joint custody then she is entitled to claim the One Parent Family Payment. It is means tested anyway so any money you are giving to support your child will be taken into account.
    Even when I was with her she was doing it. I think you get where this is going.

She's blocking joint custody because of the money she'll lose and will have to look for a job (her words,not mine) plus her youngest child is soon to hit the 7 (not my child, a different one)

You know what I mean anyway, don't want to go off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Lads the bankers screwing the country out of billions doesn't make every other theft correct.... So can that stop being used as an argument in cases like this?

She knew what she was doing, ignored the letter when she got caught and tried to spend it all as quickly as possible. Now is claiming that she is on social welfare and can't pay it back? Complete bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Rarely if ever did this happen with the old sort code/account number system.

That SEPA thing is a load of cobblers.

It often happened. And when it happens now it's down to a digit in the sort code or bank account being wrong or miskeyed.

An IBAN is made up of the following:

IE26 (country code) AIBK (Bank Code) 931234 (sort code) and 12345678 (account number).

If you get the country or bank code wrong it won't go anywhere, so it's always a mistake on the sort or account number.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's the whole "so what" attitude that annoys me. I'm on lone parent so can only pay €10 a week. How about getting a fcuking job to pay it back??

Other than that what gets me, is that she decided to blow it. Surly someone with limited means should make it last , give herself an extra 100 euro a week. That's a better standard of living for ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Didn't a similar thing happen to an 18 or 19 year old chap and he went to jail only recently?

• Advertisement

It often happened. And when it happens now it's down to a digit in the sort code or bank account being wrong or miskeyed.

An IBAN is made up of the following:

IE26 (country code) AIBK (Bank Code) 931234 (sort code) and 12345678 (account number).

If you get the country or bank code wrong it won't go anywhere, so it's always a mistake on the sort or account number.
    What I meant was entering a wrong digit thus ending up in the wrong account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Tbh if it happened to me I'd assume I'd be liable to pay it back whenever the bank copped their mistake.
    No point in taking the massive risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Reading the article there it sounds like the case is ongoing? No judgement passed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Winterlong wrote: »
    Reading the article there it sounds like the case is ongoing? No judgement passed yet?

As per my OP, adjourned unit April and a report to be done to assess her suitability for community service. It's quite obvious she's been lined up for a light slap on the wrist and no real consequences for her actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

She is at fault for spending money that she invariably knew was not hers, and should have to repay the full amount through some kind of an instalment scheme.

As for some of the name calling in this thread? Utterly shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

dfeo wrote: »
    Didn't a similar thing happen to an 18 or 19 year old chap and he went to jail only recently?

He had 17 previous convictions to his name for theft, assault, making threats and criminal damage so they were probably less inclined to go easy on him.

He had 17 previous convictions to his name for theft, assault, making threats and criminal damage so they were probably less inclined to go easy on him.

I agree, however if it was this young girl with that record the outcome would probably be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

gercoral wrote:
    I don't understand how people don't have morals. I;ll get off me high horse in a minute but if I found money on the street, I put it into the nearest charity box or buskers box. I just don't feel right taking it. I'm quite happy with my lot, and it's not much.

This makes me laugh. Charity me hole, another bunch of robbers and as for the banks a bunch of clowns. People have short memory's when it comes to the banks and charities. Banks screw you out of your money so the big knobs at top get richer and the majority of charity's are the same. She should have spent every cent of it

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

I'd have robbed the money too. But I wouldn't have stuck around to go to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why wouldn't she spend it? There are generations of families existing entirely on free money.

Advertisement