Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k spending spree

Options
  • 26-01-2017 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading about the girl who had €51k lodged to her account in error and decided to go on a spending spree and spent €25k of it within 9 days in Dunnes, Tesco, Centra, Heatons, Lifestyle, New Look and Shoe Rack.

She arrived into court with a sob story about never having disposable income before and never being able to buy presents for her family and that "Any young girl on social welfare like me would have done what I did". She conveniently claims that she "frittered" the money away and now has nothing to show for it.

The judge has adjourned it to April and asked for an assessment to see if she is suitable for Community Service. The real kicker was that when asked about repaying it, she said she was on Lone Parents and only got €250 a week, so could only afford to pay back €10-€20 out of this (I presume it's per week).

I think the book should be thrown at her. She's stolen money that she knew wasn't hers, has no remorse and had no intention of paying it back. There has to be consequences to your actions if you break the law.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

i think 99% of us would blow €51k on hookers and coke if it happend us

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

I don't understand how people don't have morals.
    I;ll get off me high horse in a minute but if I found money on the street, I put it into the nearest charity box or buskers box.
    I just don't feel right taking it. I'm quite happy with my lot, and it's not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Good luck to them getting that back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

The self entitled, money for nothing types are plentiful in this country. Knackers are knackers. And she did in her hoop spend that in tesco's and spar. Drugs and big screen tv's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

gercoral wrote: »
    I;ll get off me high horse in a minute but if I found money on the street, I put it into the nearest charity box or buskers box.
    I just don't feel right taking it. I'm quite happy with my lot, and it's not much.

It's the whole "so what" attitude that annoys me. I'm on lone parent so can only pay €10 a week. How about getting a fcuking job to pay it back??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭pavb2

I just don't feel right taking it.
    Same . . I would just live in fear of being karmacally retributed for taking it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The self entitled, money for nothing types are plentiful in this country. Knackers are knackers. And she did in her hoop spend that in tesco's and spar. Drugs and big screen tv's

3 grand on '2 crystal vases'!
    Is that what the kids are calling it these days??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What a blithering idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

The biggest knackers are "respectable" types who wear very expensive suits.

25k? 'Tis nothing.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/willie-mcateer-sentenced-for-fraudulent-anglo-loan-but-gets-no-extra-prison-time-773675.html

€7.2 BILLION and €8 MILLION

• Registered Users Posts: 35,721 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Poor person who lost it would have no hope with that attitude .
    Geez, how cruel are you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Dunnes, Tesco, Centra, Heatons, Lifestyle, New Look and Shoe Rack.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

pudzey101 wrote: »

I'm a 7-UP man myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

As far as I'm concerned it's the banks fault and they should be fully liable for any lost money. Couldn't care less about the morals of the woman who spent the money. Banks we're talking about here. Banks. Properly upstanding moral institutions. Give me a break with all the righteousness here. Complete waste of time of a court case. Bank should be fined for incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I'm a 7-UP man myself

So 8 hookers then. You'll have that money gone in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Just reading about the girl who had €51k lodged to her account in error and decided to go on a spending spree and spent €25k of it within 9 days in Dunnes, Tesco, Centra, Heatons, Lifestyle, New Look and Shoe Rack.

Wonder what she bought that cost €25K in those stores.

learn_more wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned it's the banks fault and they should be fully liable for any lost money. Couldn't care less about the morals of the woman who spent the money. Banks we're talking about here. Banks. Properly upstanding moral institutions. Give me a break with all the righteousness here. Complete waste of time of a court case. Bank should be fined for incompetence.

That's nonsense. It was an honest mistake by 1 frontline member of staff. The girl who's account it went into knew it wasn't hers and tried to spend as much as possible, as quickly as possible.

If, god forbid, you miskeyed an account number and it went into someone else's account and they spent, would you just say fair enough it was my mistake??

If I saw that happen, I'd tell the bank right away. You don't f*ck with a bank. They'll always win.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How do you fritter away 25k in 9 days in the places she mentioned.

What does she have to show for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's unbelievable that people actually believe you can just spend the money and somehow the bank won't find out and prosecute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If I saw that happen, I'd tell the bank right away. You don't f*ck with a bank. They'll always win.

Except in this case where they have feck all chance of the person giving the money back and even less chance of them having any assets to repossess, and even less chance again of the girl going to prison etc as she has a child. Id imagine she has a house sorted already so no need to worry about not getting a mortgage etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

She is lucky. Couple of weeks/months ago someone went to prison for something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Presumably if 50k of your dosh got transferred into my account in error and I spent it, you'd give me a thumbs up and say
    'At least you're not Denis O'Brien'?

dresden8 wrote: »
    The biggest knackers are "respectable" types who wear very expensive suits.

25k? 'Tis nothing.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/willie-mcateer-sentenced-for-fraudulent-anglo-loan-but-gets-no-extra-prison-time-773675.html

€7.2 BILLION and €8 MILLION

No the biggest knackers are the knackers. This bankers are worse crap is bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'd give them the runaround for a few weeks, passing them from person to person in my Refunds Department, losing their documentation and asking them to re-submit it all with all of their original birth certificates and driving licences.

No they shouldn't. If I dropped my wallet on the street it's my fault, but it's still not some knackers money. Finders-keepers is not a law.

The type of people who would assume to take this money are usually self entitled scroungers who never earned any themselves in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

That's nonsense. It was an honest mistake by 1 frontline member of staff. The girl who's account it went into knew it wasn't hers and tried to spend as much as possible, as quickly as possible.

If, god forbid, you miskeyed an account number and it went into someone else's account and they spent, would you just say fair enough it was my mistake??

If I did I wouldn't just think I was going to get it back easily. I would just hope I would and would blame myself if I didn't.

If I did I wouldn't just think I was going to get it back easily. I would just hope I would and would blame myself if I didn't.

Of course you would. I reckon you'd be on here within an hour with a rant about how useless the bank was at getting your money back and the person who swiped it was a scummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pull the other one. If you accidentally deposited 50k in the wrong persons account, they spent every penny of it and told you to **** off, you'd just say to yourself "Oh, my fault, lesson learned, oops!" :confused:

You'd be on here ranting about the evil bank that took your money. Rabble rabble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

This woman is a complete wagon. She should have to show receipts for everything she bought with the stolen money and get the biggest punishment the court can give her. But as we all know she won't because she will use her children as an excuse that she can't go to jail and the judge will take pity on her and she'll walk out of the court and laugh up his arse.

Advertisement