Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k spending spree

Options

Comments

..........The real kicker was that when asked about repaying it, she said she was on Lone Parents and only got €250 a week, so could only afford to pay back €10-€20 out of this (I presume it's per week).................

No doubt she spends plenty on drink & cigarettes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

If she gets a repayment plan of 20 per week then it will take her over 20 years to pay back the money she blew in 2 weeks. Assuming no interest is charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭brevity

Jesus, if she took the money and invested in a college course or some sort of self improvement I'd be willing to give her a break but a "shopping spree" and Centra & Tesco...Set your sights a little higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

**** it. The banks can take the hit in my opinion.

So long as the tax payer doesn't end up footing the bill I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'd have robbed the money too. But I wouldn't have stuck around to go to court.

Would you get a monorail for 51k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Nobodys asking where the money came from, some people asume its straight of the evil corperate banks profits. In reality it could have been some companys payroll or a stage payment gor somebody house build. Imagine loosing 25k of your mortgage and being told by some chancer they will pay you back 20 quid a month off there social welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Augeo wrote:
    No doubt she spends plenty on drink & cigarettes though.

And how do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭seenitall

Dunnes, Centra and a few dinners out... Gawd, what an absolutely sinful lack of imagination! Makes me really mad!

The thing to do in this situation was to immediately, BUT IMMEDIATELY book last minute flights and a couple of days in one of the fancy pants luxury resorts in Bora Bora, St. Barths, or similar, where all the Hollywood luvvies go to "unwind". 4, maybe 5 days altogether, €50000 gone, done and dusted.

Centra, ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Caliden wrote: »
    **** it. The banks can take the hit in my opinion.

So long as the tax payer doesn't end up footing the bill I don't care.

In one form or another, everybody else will pay to make up for the loss of what was stolen! - Higher bank charges etc.....and that means you, me and everyone else will pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Scarlet for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

imitation wrote: »
    Nobodys asking where the money came from, some people asume its straight of the evil corperate banks profits. In reality it could have been some companys payroll or a stage payment gor somebody house build. Imagine loosing 25k of your mortgage and being told by some chancer they will pay you back 20 quid a month off there social welfare

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It's unbelievable that people actually believe you can just spend the money and somehow the bank won't find out and prosecute you.

I blame Monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There is relevant case law on the matter to guide anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation. The famous case of finders versus keepers.

Any money that suddenly appears in my bank, may consider itself my money from then on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

brevity wrote: »
    Jesus, if she took the money and invested in a college course or some sort of self improvement I'd be willing to give her a break but a "shopping spree" and Centra & Tesco...Set your sights a little higher.

In fairness we likely all shop in Tesco and Centra during the week.

However, Heatons, New Look and Shoe Rack tells you all you need to know about this case.

Chancers deserve a bit of jail time to take the edges off.

keavebm wrote: »
    And how do you know this?

I know everything kid ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Derrynaflank

I won €50 in the local GAA lotto once; I bought myself a rectal thermometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

KC161 wrote: »
    Rarely if ever did this happen with the old sort code/account number system.

That SEPA thing is a load of cobblers.

You do know that the IBAN is comprised of the "old sort code/account number system"?

pavb2 wrote: »
    Same . . I would just live in fear of being karmacally retributed for taking it

if you believe in Karma can you not also believe that same note fell from the wallet of a rich banker and was maybe meant for you??? if you're gonna go all superstitious on it.

Bad Karma for keeping say a €50.00 note that blew under your nose of a windy night??
    I mean if you found money on the street, not in your account

on the other hand, wasn't there a case before like this and the person told the bank and they took it back and charged the receiver for that one transaction or something, I seem to remember something like that. as someone said earlier, so she's an idiot or knacker etc, we're talking about banks here.... the same banks who chased a widow for interest on a mortgage she cleared in full (the 240K mortgage, not the 1700 owing). Her husband hung emself with the stress they put them under (Priory Hall) and she gave the bank every penny of the insurance to clear the debt in full...she has no house either. they have their cash and she has no house and kids and still they came after her for the extra seventeen hundred.....Good I'm glad the scrote spent it on them!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

gercoral wrote: »
    I don't understand how people don't have morals.
    I;ll get off me high horse in a minute but if I found money on the street, I put it into the nearest charity box or buskers box.
    I just don't feel right taking it. I'm quite happy with my lot, and it's not much.

I'll call bullsh!t on that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Berserker wrote: »
    Wonder what she bought that cost €25K in those stores.

Rumours that she now has the biggest air max collection in the country

• Advertisement

By far the most striking thing about this whole story is that she spend €25k in nine days, buying things for herself and her family and claims to have spent that sum in Dunnes, Tesco, Heatons...and SHOE RACK.

If I was a criminal mastermind like this wan and got my hands on €50k that I was too stupid to figure out I couldn't keep, not for a moment would I consider spending any of my ill-gotten gains in Shoe Rack.

Shoe Rack ffs.

I;ll get off me high horse in a minute but if I found money on the street, I put it into the nearest charity box or buskers box.
    I just don't feel right taking it. I'm quite happy with my lot, and it's not much.

In a scenario where it would be very hard to find who lost it I doubt you would.

Ive found a sum of money twice. Once I found 120 euro on the ground while walking from the pub to the night club, I was already hammered but we still managed to drink the 120 euro in the club. The other time was a 50 euro note leaving a match, that got us 3 rounds of drink in the local on the way home.

No way was that money getting back to the original owner in either case so might as well enjoy it. Totally different if you found money on the floor at work or something like that as you have a good chance of locating the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

jester77 wrote: »
    Surprised this doesn't happen more often, IBANs are way too long and easy to get a digit wrong.

There's a checksum digit or digits in a bank account number. It's easy to transpose numbers, do this guards against that. Of course that doesn't help if a valid number is imputed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

lawred2 wrote: »
    You do know that the IBAN is comprised of the "old sort code/account number system"?

Yes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Cienciano wrote: »
    Rumours that she now has the biggest air max collection in the country

Soon to appear on FB buy and sell pages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Candie wrote: »
    By far the most striking thing about this whole story is that she spend €25k in nine days, buying things for herself and her family and claims to have spent that sum in Dunnes, Tesco, Heatons...and SHOE RACK.

If I was a criminal mastermind like this wan and got my hands on €50k that I was too stupid to figure out I couldn't keep, not for a moment would I consider spending any of my ill-gotten gains in Shoe Rack.

Shoe Rack ffs.
    And Heatons. It makes Pennys look like Brown Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

It's the whole "so what" attitude that annoys me. I'm on lone parent so can only pay €10 a week. How about getting a fcuking job to pay it back??

+100

Self entilitment attitude hand outs lone parent (only the bad ones) there are genuine cases who work hard , dole heads who don't wish to work , government is ****e attitude and will take everything , give nothing back and overall contribute nothing to anything

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'll call bullsh!t on that

why?! i'm just a weirdo who feels something bad will happen to me if i do it. i feel like i'm stealing..i'd rather have it out of my hands, and give it to someone who might need it more. like i said, i'm working, earning a wage. i;m not going to walk over money that i find on the street, but i will give it to someone who i think may need it more than me. now, im talking about 10cent or 1euro.

however, if i found a wallet with money, of course ill try and locate the owner. if not, straight into the nearest garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

In a scenario where it would be very hard to find who lost it I doubt you would.

Ive found a sum of money twice. Once I found 120 euro on the ground while walking from the pub to the night club, I was already hammered but we still managed to drink the 120 euro in the club. The other time was a 50 euro note leaving a match, that got us 3 rounds of drink in the local on the way home.

No way was that money getting back to the original owner in either case so might as well enjoy it. Totally different if you found money on the floor at work or something like that as you have a good chance of locating the owner.

just gonna copy and paste what i wrote to another poster:
    why?! i'm just a weirdo who feels something bad will happen to me if i do it. i feel like i'm stealing..i'd rather have it out of my hands, and give it to someone who might need it more. like i said, i'm working, earning a wage. i;m not going to walk over money that i find on the street, but i will give it to someone who i think may need it more than me. now, im talking about 10cent or 1euro.

however, if i found a wallet with money, of course ill try and locate the owner. if not, straight into the nearest garda station.

i genuinely wouldnt feel right spending money that isn't mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It's unbelievable that people actually believe you can just spend the money and somehow the bank won't find out and prosecute you.

I blame Monopoly for spreading this myth...

Advertisement