Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM is intriguing for Thurs / Fri . Huge uncertainty . The Significant Weather map shows the potentially different types precipitation well for Thurs that is being currently modeled.

The track of the LP system has tracked more S over the last couple of days bringing the heavy band of moisture over the S of the country. The ECM is currently showing the low pivot and giving moderate snow in the SW for about 7 to 9 hrs and also large amounts over the rest of the S of the country.

GEgv8Im.gif

IA0o4JG.png

yyGl5p9.png

13wYl1c.png

MHfLEEO.png

dt9Z8fL.png

bgxEuWT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECMWF ENS output suggests the operational run is one of the most southerly in track....therefore treat with caution the current operational run... the precipitation is likely to track further north than shown.
    ENS for Dublin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Can compare these predictions with tomorrows run. I remember looking at the Snow prediction charts for the Beast and could hardly believe them as they were so foreign to Ireland, have the same feeling with this.

A way to go yet. Tomorrow will bring more clarity.

aiOr71Z.png

197W51z.png

FjBQelY.png

dmcuXVk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Meteorite58, when is the next update to that model?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Meteorite58, when is the next update to that model?

Will be out early tomorrow morning around 06.00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Anyone in North Dublin very happy with the charts so far, put your hands up.

dm9wl2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Anyone in North Dublin very happy charts so far,, put your hands up.

dm9wl2.gif

A north dubliner myself, even Kermit himself will be looking on in distraught

The Low Pressure Thurs

pROWOV7.png

HKdJh5M.png

uFQ4YHR.png

Freezing level

wroTThP.png

E29Y7Nv.png

yi9tYbo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

ZX7R wrote: »
    John.Icy wrote: »
    Mad the difference between here and Netweather over Thurs/Fri potential. I don't see a huge amount of different in the forecast airmass between here or the UK, but they are the ones very confident of snow. If anything on the ECM we have better conditions, better uppers, better dew points looking @aperge. More to snow than that but I trust others word on here when they say it looks marginal.

The infamous Steve Murr just called for up to 30cm in the SE of Ireland based on the ECM.

Are we underplaying the potential or are they completely overplaying?
    Bit of both net weather always over play things, in general more reserved here

On the net weather model output thread the last few days they really have being looking at every model run to the death as regards snow potential this week. Like jesus Christ its going to be a nowcast situation anyway. You would swear their lives depended upon it or something. Ive always been interested in the weather and i would love good snowfall but for the love of god. What will be will be .

guil wrote: »
    I'm working up around Kilteel/Eadestown first thing in the morning, into Blessington and then Ballymore Eustace later in the day, hopefully I get something to look at lol.

Am in Blessington (200m asl) so I'll be checking the lampposts tonight.

• Advertisement

Will need to watch the wind potential also on Thurs :)

Could be seeing a plethora of warnings yet.

q30dQsg.png

xsnzUnT.png

U7v1QtK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Dónal wrote: »
    Am in Blessington (200m asl) so I'll be checking the lampposts tonight.
    Stick on the kettle about 6am and I'll stop for a chat haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'm very surprised how laid back Met Eireann are about tomorrow and Wednesday. Maybe because the East is least at risk...
    Widespread snow showers tomorrow for the South and West with even a risk of a polar low and trough early Wed morning.
    As for Thursday I think for Cork the wind being onshore or not will be important. Likely be a mix of rain and snow before the low pivots and swings the wind offshore...then snow!!

Met Office giving some prolonged bands of snow/sleet pushing over Ireland tomorrow and Wednesday, interesting days ahead! :)

suwspu.png

5tyiom.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Will need to watch the wind potential also on Thurs :)

Could be seeing a plethora of warnings yet.

Doesn't get more exciting than a plethora of warnings, but do I dare get excited? And let me take this opportunity to thank all the posters in what has become my snow bible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Do I have time to change my lamppost to LEDs , I hear it makes nicer snow ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Time to draw the curtain on this thread! See ya all next week!

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Are the models bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

PROB30 TEMPO 2907/2910 3000 -RASN BKN006

2671f33ed1eaf7471ff5727106b4bb04.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I can just see the mayhem on Thursday here in Dublin with this snow. Airport closed, M50 meltdown..... bring it on!!!!

D

MeteoGroup via the BBC website is showing the front pushing up across Ireland on Thursday as rain into Cork city and the south west coast but very soon after turning to Snow into North Cork.

Very early days and a betting man would say it will be sleet or rain but if it becomes a reality Met Eireann might have to look at the Yellow Warning and increase for southern and midland counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

derekon wrote: »
    I can just see the mayhem on Thursday here in Dublin with this snow. Airport closed, M50 meltdown..... bring it on!!!!

D
    Dont get me excited

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Are the models bad?

Do not think so. Looks pretty samey since yesterday, at least for the next 48 hours anyway. Slushy mess followed by some snow showers inland and N/NW, some possibly stretching across the country (unlikely to stick)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

derekon wrote: »

D

It's going to be rain though, sleet at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Artane2002 wrote: »
    It's going to be rain though, sleet at best.

A slushy mess? This winter just gets better and better........

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Think of the nurses on the picket lines. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I'm very surprised how laid back Met Eireann are about tomorrow and Wednesday. Maybe because the East is least at risk...
    Widespread snow showers tomorrow for the South and West with even a risk of a polar low and trough early Wed morning.
    As for Thursday I think for Cork the wind being onshore or not will be important. Likely be a mix of rain and snow before the low pivots and swings the wind offshore...then snow!!

I would not say there laid back ,they definitely won't issue higher or more warnings about Thursday till at least 48 hours before hand the track of the low still not nailed down yet.
    The last few runs have the low tracking more southerly tonight it's seems further north a bit.
    As for tonight/tomorrow morning it really is a now cast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The icon is an upgrade for Thursday. Impossible to call correctly....will be a nightmare for Met Eireann where sees snow or rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

The icon is an upgrade for Thursday. Impossible to call correctly....will be a nightmare for Met Eireann where sees snow or rain.

I would risk it by saying follow the ICON for Thursday. It modeled Storm Emma fairly accurately.

Advertisement