Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolut Megathread.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Quackster wrote: »
    Have an AIB credit card and if you're making a payment to it from a non-Irish account, you have to use a separate specific IBAN to the IBAN for making payments from Irish accounts. Don't know why this is but maybe BOI are the same. Worth checking with them.

It worked before though?

Anyway put my card number in the 'To' field and it worked.

The sooner I can move my credit card to N26 or Revolut, I can leave BOI once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Trying to help a family member out , and looking for some help from you please.

She is getting 1500 euro sent to her revolut account (standard user) and wants to transfer this into her back account.

I assume she will get hit with fees for this transfer? , how much would she have to pay and any tips to get round it if this is the case ?

Thanks a lot.

if shes recieving it in Euros and withdrawing it to an Irish bank i dont think there will be any fees on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    if shes recieving it in Euros and withdrawing it to an Irish bank i dont think there will be any fees on it?

Thanks, yes it will be sent to here from another revolut user and she will then withdraw it to her back again.
    She hasn't received the 1500 yet, just wants to be sure she can then transfer it into her back account with no costs incurred as a standard user.

Thanks, yes it will be sent to here from another revolut user and she will then withdraw it to her back again.
    She hasn't received the 1500 yet, just wants to be sure she can then transfer it into her back account with no costs incurred as a standard user.

get her to do a test for it and try send 1,500e to her bank now, itll say if there are costs before you do the transfer

get her to do a test for it and try send 1,500e to her bank now, itll say if there are costs before you do the transfer

Thanks, she hasn't received the 1500 as yet into her revolut as yet, and doesn't want to receive the payment that way if she is going to get hit with fees for bank transfer.
    The 1500 she is due to receive is for an important payment which she has to pay on to somebody else /or withdraw it from an ATM, but afraid she will get hit with cost, she hasn't got much cash to spare, so losing out will hurt her financially.
    Its a complicated situation ! The other person wont do a bank transfer to her own account .

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭msmx5

Thanks, she hasn't received the 1500 as yet into her revolut as yet, and doesn't want to receive the payment that way if she is going to get hit with fees for bank transfer.
    The 1500 she is due to receive is for an important payment which she has to pay on to somebody else /or withdraw it from an ATM, but afraid she will get hit with cost, she hasn't got much cash to spare, so losing out will hurt her financially.
    Its a complicated situation ! The other person wont do a bank transfer to her own account.

I think wuff wuff mean that if you start the process of sending €1500 (even if the funds aren't there) it brings you to a final transaction summary screen where you Review the transfer before pressing "Send" here it will indicate if there is a fee. I have a standard account and went that far just now and it says its free if that's any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Revolut will not charge anything for it.

See 'Local payments in your base currency' at https://www.revolut.com/en-IE/legal/fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Its a complicated situation ! The other person wont do a bank transfer to her own account .

Thanks again.

There will be charges to withdraw cash from an ATM. This all sounds a bit ropey. Is it all above board?

McGaggs wrote: »
    There will be charges to withdraw cash from an ATM. This all sounds a bit ropey. Is it all above board?

100% above board , long story for her and an ex husband ! She’s as trustworthy as the day is long , he’s the slippery one !

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

I’m trying to send money to someone - over €100. It has triggered an email verification. But the email is not coming through - not in spam either. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

100% above board , long story for her and an ex husband ! She’s as trustworthy as the day is long , he’s the slippery one !

I was more worried that she was about to be scammed somehow.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I was more worried that she was about to be scammed somehow.

Oh she was scammed alright .. the day she walked up the aisle with him .

Thanks for the help .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If the account is new receiving and immediately withdraw to a bank account might trigger an temporary block on the account with money laundering questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Always worked before but getting an AIB refusal (not possible returning you to vendor) on Revolut when requesting transfer from AIB visa debit.
    Any thoughts b4 i phone them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Hi. I have a substantial amount of euro that has to be exchanged to stg in the app. I heard you get a better exchange rate in the app on weekdays so would I be better off waiting until tomorrow as its a back holiday today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hi. I have a substantial amount of euro that has to be exchanged to stg in the app. I heard you get a better exchange rate in the app on weekdays so would I be better off waiting until tomorrow as its a back holiday today.

It's not a bank holiday in UK.

I need to exchange 1500 euros to stg but once i go above 500 in the app revolut is including a charge . Is this new? I've exchanged similar ammounts in the past without any charge.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The standard account only has fx free up to a €1000 per month now, after that you will incur a 0.5% charge. Theo’s was started In August for some and September for others.

Found this new info

"Remember, if you exchange more than €1,000 during the month (in foreign exchange, cryptocurrency or precious metals), a fair usage fee of 0.5% will begin to apply in addition to the fees below. You can avoid this fair usage fee by signing up to a Metal or Premium plan and receiving unlimited exchange."

When you look into it further it's 1% on the weekends and bank holidays

I can confirm the charge was 0.5 % with a 50p transaction fee to transfer the money to a UK bank account....still good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

If I have an upcoming direct debit coming from the account, will it take it from another currently if not enough in my € balance or should I exchange other currency to € now? Any benefit either way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

PopTarts wrote: »
    If I have an upcoming direct debit coming from the account, will it take it from another currently if not enough in my € balance or should I exchange other currency to € now? Any benefit either way?

It will take it from whatever currency has enough for the payment, it will not spilt it between two currencies. No need to convert if it's enough to cover it

I can confirm the charge was 0.5 % with a 50p transaction fee to transfer the money to a UK bank account....still good value.

Probably too late now as you appear to have made the exchange but if you exchanged €1000 today and the remaining €500 at the *start of the next month you might have avoided the fee.

* To find out when your month begins go to your profile section of the app and under the Limits section click on either the "ATM" or "Currency Exchange" tile to find the "Limit Refresh date"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭gussieg

Hello just lately last few weeks, I've been getting update ID request emails from them, yet when I go into the revolut app, it doesn't seem to have anywhere to update them in.
    I did recently swap phone handsets with the app installed on it, could that be why?
    They keep threatening to stop me using it in the emails, and how do I get through to chat? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Stewball

gussieg wrote: »
    Hello just lately last few weeks, I've been getting update ID request emails from them, yet when I go into the revolut app, it doesn't seem to have anywhere to update them in.
    I did recently swap phone handsets with the app installed on it, could that be why?
    They keep threatening to stop me using it in the emails, and how do I get through to chat? Thanks in advance.

I got a request a few weeks ago, uploaded my passport details and I've just got another today - something about Brexit...

Why do they keep asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Stewball wrote: »
    I got a request a few weeks ago, uploaded my passport details and I've just got another today - something about Brexit...

Why do they keep asking?

I’ve been getting it the last year +, had updated my ID about a month before that. They’ve not done anything about it, just a reminder everytime I go on the app and an occasional email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Hi all can I lodge cash via BOI pass machine directly to a Revolut account and will it be instant or the same as a transfer via online account taking 24/36 hrs?

moonshadow wrote: »
    Hi all can I lodge cash via BOI pass machine directly to a Revolut account and will it be instant or the same as a transfer via online account taking 24/36 hrs?

No , they are a physical cash less bank.

You'll need someone to lodge to their BOI or other account and electronically transfer to your revolut account

Pleasant suprise to see a same day transfer show from PTSB to Revolut.

Not instant but made a payment from PTSB app last night (so would be processed today) and it showed in Revolut this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Stewball

Pleasant suprise to see a same day transfer show from PTSB to Revolut.

Not instant but made a payment from PTSB app last night (so would be processed today) and it showed in Revolut this morning.

I've noticed slightly quicker transfer times from PTSB to Revolut & N26 too.

Made a transfer from PTSB to N26 last night - it was in the account this morning.
    I also made a transfer from BOI to PTSB - still waiting for it to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Paid for a couple things today, haven't been taken from revolut balance yet... Any one else experiencing delays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Girlfriend send me money last Tuesday to my n26 account....Took a bloody week to arrive today....I sent from my own kbc to N26 and would be there the next day....BOI is taking the piss here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Can anyone help me figure out how to declare by Revolut card currency is Sterling on Amazon? In my account I can see that I have assigned my PTSB card as being in Pound Sterling in my payment methods, but my Revolut cards don't display the option to set the currency. The temporary hold transactions appear in the Euro Revolut account.

When I get to the checkout I don't get option to decide what currency I want to charge it in. I guess this is due to Revolut been seen as a pre-pay card but will the sterling figure be deducted from the sterling account, or will they do their conversion first?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Can anyone help me figure out how to declare by Revolut card currency is Sterling on Amazon? In my account I can see that I have assigned my PTSB card as being in Pound Sterling in my payment methods, but my Revolut cards don't display the option to set the currency. The temporary hold transactions appear in the Euro Revolut account.

When I get to the checkout I don't get option to decide what currency I want to charge it in. I guess this is due to Revolut been seen as a pre-pay card but will the sterling figure be deducted from the sterling account, or will they do their conversion first?

Revolut is a sterling card, it'll take the money from your Euro balance and convert to sterling as you pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cheers, explains why I don't get the option to designate it an sterling account like it does with my Irish card. And I guess that explains why I don't get the conversion option either at checkout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Revolut is a sterling card, it'll take the money from your Euro balance and convert to sterling as you pay
    It depends on the Revolut card. Some supplied here are coded as Irish while others are coded as UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lucylou2020

Could someone help me possibly?...I have set up a Revolut account for my husband tonight and added a virtual card. I have spent over an hour trying to add money using his Ulster Bank business card but keep getting the same message saying "Oops...something went wrong". I can't figure out what the problem is. Have checked all personal details and everything appears correct.
    I myself have a similar set up with Revolut which is linked to my BOI account and have never had any issues.

Would the issue be with Ulster bank and the fact that the account is a business account?
    Many thanks in advance

Could someone help me possibly?...I have set up a Revolut account for my husband tonight and added a virtual card. I have spent over an hour trying to add money using his Ulster Bank business card but keep getting the same message saying "Oops...something went wrong". I can't figure out what the problem is. Have checked all personal details and everything appears correct.
    I myself have a similar set up with Revolut which is linked to my BOI account and have never had any issues.

Would the issue be with Ulster bank and the fact that the account is a business account?
    Many thanks in advance

Instead of adding his bank account, add money and instead of bank transfer select debit or credit card

Instead of adding his bank account, add money and instead of bank transfer select debit or credit card

Thank you for your reply. That is what I did try. I tried adding money using his bank card as that is what I do with my own account. I have never set up a transfer before so went with the easiest option. Just baffled that it won't allow me to add any money

Thank you for your reply. That is what I did try. I tried adding money using his bank card as that is what I do with my own account. I have never set up a transfer before so went with the easiest option. Just baffled that it won't allow me to add any money

is the card in his name and not the business name?

• Advertisement

is the card in his name and not the business name?

Yes it is in his name. I wonder would Ulster bank have stopped it because it is Revolut? I essentially want to clean up his account as he taps his card several times a day now. I will try adding money again tonight. Hopefully it is just a glitch in the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yes it is in his name. I wonder would Ulster bank have stopped it because it is Revolut? I essentially want to clean up his account as he taps his card several times a day now. I will try adding money again tonight. Hopefully it is just a glitch in the system
    Can he make other online purchases with it? Is it this one? The Ts&Cs don't specifically say it can be used online, while the ones for other cards do.

https://digital.ulsterbank.ie/business/cards/business-card.html

The company mightn't allow cashback with it either which Revolut top-ups are treated as.

I have spent over an hour trying to add money using his Ulster Bank business card but keep getting the same message saying "Oops...something went wrong". ...

This might sound bizarre but I have found some odd issues that result in the generic "Oops...something went wrong" message can be fixed by ensuring you have a valid Eircode set under your personal details in the Revolut app.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Can he make other online purchases with it? Is it this one? The Ts&Cs don't specifically say it can be used online, while the ones for other cards do.

https://digital.ulsterbank.ie/business/cards/business-card.html

The company mightn't allow cashback with it either which Revolut top-ups are treated as.

Yes that must be it. He has this account years. It is essentially a personal account but because he farms alongside his main job, it is a business account for that reason. He can do everything that I can do with my current account. He has it linked to PayPal, gets regular cashback, etc. Am just baffled. Will try it again tonight when he gets in from work. Many thanks for all your help

msmx5 wrote: »
    This might sound bizarre but I have found some odd issues that result in the generic "Oops...something went wrong" message can be fixed by ensuring you have a valid Eircode set under your personal details in the Revolut app.

Yes have the eircode set on it. Checked that last night also. It's a pity that Revolut doesn't give an explanation for not processing the transaction e.g contact your bank. At least you would therefore know which end the problem lies with!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yes that must be it. He has this account years. It is essentially a personal account but because he farms alongside his main job, it is a business account for that reason. He can do everything that I can do with my current account. He has it linked to PayPal, gets regular cashback, etc. Am just baffled. Will try it again tonight when he gets in from work. Many thanks for all your help
    Be aware that Revolut charges a 1% fee for top-ups using commercial cards.

Quackster wrote: »
    Be aware that Revolut charges a 1% fee for top-ups using commercial cards.

Thank you for that information. I didn't realise that. Would I be better setting up a bank transfer instead?

Thank you for that information. I didn't realise that. Would I be better setting up a bank transfer instead?

Yes bank transfers would avoid that, i actually sent cash from n26 to revolut instead of doing a top up in error.

Only took a few hours so no big inconvenience as topup would be immediate.

Yes bank transfers would avoid that, i actually sent cash from n26 to revolut instead of doing a top up in error.

Only took a few hours so no big inconvenience as topup would be immediate.

Thanks very much. Will try that so.

Ireland to host Revolut's entire European Operations according to this article in tidays business Post (can't link as it behind paywall).

• Advertisement
Advertisement