Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random EV thoughts.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I regularly take the i-Pace or the BMW i3. 
    Charging for me is a mix between opportunistic and cost. 
    Before doing a long distance journey I'll mark off the free CCS Chargers. 
    If the journey is beyond the range of the car I'm driving I'll try and get to a free charger with around 40-50 km range left and then charge enough to have 40-50 km range left at my destination or to the Next Rapid charger. 
    If the free one isn't available then I'll go onto the next paid one. 
    I only use AC if I'm planning a stop in a City/Town on the way or at me start or end destination. 
    Fastned have charging graphs you can use to see where the sweet spot is for maximum KW charging with the minimum time penalty. 

https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/360000788848-Charging-with-a-Jaguar-I-PACE
    https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/204784718-Charging-with-a-BMW-i3
    I rarely ever for to the full 80% on Rapids as the time it takes gradually gets slower and you are better off doing 2 rapid charges than 1 long rapid charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tesla drop the standard range S and X again?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is this just a general chat thread?

Anyway, does anyone know if the esb charger in clifden is currently working? I saw some chat that it was out of service but the app was not reporting that it was. However that is old information.

Last update from zap map was that it was out of service but that was 3 months ago. Current information on ecars app is that it is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

JPA wrote:
    Last update from zap map was that it was out of service but that was 3 months ago. Current information on ecars app is that it is working.
    Call the ESB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,151 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

josip wrote: »

Some of those numbers are insane

0-300 in under 9 secs is Moto GP quick

Doesnt even make sense, 0-100 under 3secs, but only 6 secs more to 300, maybe traction limited and full 2000bhp not released till higher speeds?

Veyron supersport is like 18 secs to 300, its much faster than any hypercar out today

Even an F1 car is in the 9-10 sec range in race trim, maybe quicker in qualifying trim

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Some of those numbers are insane

0-300 in under 9 secs is Moto GP quick

Doesnt even make sense, 0-100 under 3secs, but only 6 secs more to 300, maybe traction limited and full 2000bhp not released till higher speeds?

Veyron supersport is like 18 secs to 300, its much faster than any hypercar out today

Even an F1 car is in the 9-10 sec range in race trim, maybe quicker in qualifying trim
    You have to remember that F1 cars are not optimized to be quick in a straight line, they are optimized to be quick around corners (hence the downforce)

Remove all the wings and you'd have a seriously quick car

ELM327 wrote: »
    You have to remember that F1 cars are not optimized to be quick in a straight line, they are optimized to be quick around corners (hence the downforce)

F1 cars accelerate much quicker up to a certain point the more wing they have to allow more and earlier grip. F1 cars are around a thousand horsepower, this is 2k, that's all there is to it. :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Sorry not sure where to put this.........do you have to pay for parking when you are using a public charging point?

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Sorry not sure where to put this.........do you have to pay for parking when you are using a public charging point?
    Completely down to the Local Authority / Land owner, same story for the rest of Europe as well.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Depends entirely on the local council, everywhere is different.

Cheers, boss was in dublin and left the car charging and went off............€80 fine for not paying for parking!!

I presume you pay by the day and not the hour when you need to charge?

Cheers, boss was in dublin and left the car charging and went off............€80 fine for not paying for parking!!

[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]Parking and Electric Vehicles[/font]
    [font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]While charging an electric vehicle in a Pay and Display Space or EV Charging Space in a Pay and Display location, payment must be made for parking during hours of operation indicated.[/font]

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic/parking-dublin

I don't own an EV, but I thought EV owners frown upon drivers taking up an EV charging spot for much longer than the car needs to charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I don't own an EV, but I thought EV owners frown upon drivers taking up an EV charging spot for much longer than the car needs to charge?

More of an issue with a rapid charger. Those are the ones that tend to be vital for people driving a long distance etc.

At a standard charger people are likely to be charging for hours so you wouldn't generally expect someone to be back bang on the end of the charge.

That said I still think that spending 10 hours on a charger at a train station is a stupid use of the resource.

• Advertisement

Like above, only really when it's DC Charging. 
    AC Charging I would only get annoyed when someone parks at an EV Spot but doesn't even bother to plug in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »
    That said I still think that spending 10 hours on a charger at a train station is a stupid use of the resource.

How else could a train station charge point be used though? You dont, generally, take a train to somewhere and get back in an hour or two? Its usually a workday activity.

What train stations should have is not one 22kW charge point. They should have a long bank of 3.6kW charge points.

KCross wrote: »
    DrPhilG wrote: »

How else could a train station charge point be used though? You dont, generally, take a train to somewhere and get back in an hour or two? Its usually a workday activity.

What train stations should have is not one 22kW charge point. They should have a long bank of 3.6kW charge points.
    Completely agree. most cars can't even charge at 22kw AC anyways.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Exactly, what a lot of train stations actually have are 7kW chargers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭zg3409

JPA wrote: »
    does anyone know if the esb charger in clifden is currently working? I saw some chat that it was out of service but the app was not reporting that it was. However that is old information.

According to cpinfo.ie both outputs were in use today. It seems to have started communicating on the 11th of July and one and both sides have been used since. There is another charger in clifden too at abbeyglen hotel, see plugshare app but no reports recent, may be for customers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

ELM327 wrote: »

Yes F1 cars are highly restricted for straight line performance, but still not bad even with restrictions

0-300 in 10

Full tank of fuel, running in eco mode :)

V10 monsters back in the day ran low 8's

Schumacher 2003 V10 was supposdely clocked at 9.3 secs in the wet vs fighter jet

On the Lotus it's Formula E tech, williams enginering supplying battery tech

Some battery too

800kW charge rate from a 70kWh pack

21c disscharge rate ( 1500kW/70kWh )

Battery can emptied in less than 3 minutes flat out driving

Nothing new, Veyron can go through a full tank in 9 mins

How else could a train station charge point be used though?

That was my point. Putting a 22kw charger at a train station is a waste of a resource.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Yes F1 cars are highly restricted for straight line performance, but still not bad even with restrictions

0-300 in 10

Full tank of fuel, running in eco mode :)

V10 monsters back in the day ran low 8's

Schumacher 2003 V10 was supposdely clocked at 9.3 secs in the wet vs fighter jet

On the Lotus it's Formula E tech, williams enginering supplying battery tech

Some battery too

800kW charge rate from a 70kWh pack

21c disscharge rate ( 1500kW/70kWh )

Battery can emptied in less than 3 minutes flat out driving

Nothing new, Veyron can go through a full tank in 9 mins

I'm that special kind of nerd that watches classic F1 full races on sky sports f1, just to hear the v10 air splitting noise or the screaming v8 noise just before the ecomentalists ruined a great sport.

I'm excited by formula E, and if you watch F1 for decades you'll see that it is the pinnacle for sports car development and sometimes the innovation helps road cars years down the line. Hopefully FE does the same for EVs

I've been lucky enough to get to 2 grand prixs, Estoril in 1995 and Australia in 1999.
    The one thing that didn't come across on F1 TV coverage, was the absolute assault on your eardrums from the banshee wail of those V12s and V10s.

I don't know what the V8s and V6s sound like trackside.
    No matter how fast and technologically advanced Formula E gets, it's sensory perception to a spectator is 50% less than that of Formula 1.
    Which is a massive problem for the interest levels in the sport.

zg3409 wrote: »
    does anyone know if the esb charger in clifden is currently working? I saw some chat that it was out of service but the app was not reporting that it was. However that is old information.

According to cpinfo.ie both outputs were in use today. It seems to have started communicating on the 11th of July and one and both sides have been used since. There is another charger in clifden too at abbeyglen hotel, see plugshare app but no reports recent, may be for customers
    DSC06547.JPG
    The Charging station at abbeyglen hotel looks like a dodgy place to hang out after dark :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭zg3409

redcup342 wrote: »
    zg3409 wrote: »

DSC06547.JPG
    The Charging station at abbeyglen hotel looks like a dodgy place to hang out after dark :o

The good news is this hotel has a large backup generator, and a parrot

I've been lucky enough to get to 2 grand prixs, Estoril in 1995 and Australia in 1999.
    The one thing that didn't come across on F1 TV coverage, was the absolute assault on your eardrums from the banshee wail of those V12s and V10s.

I don't know what the V8s and V6s sound like trackside.
    No matter how fast and technologically advanced Formula E gets, it's sensory perception to a spectator is 50% less than that of Formula 1.
    Which is a massive problem for the interest levels in the sport.

V8s were fantastic, could hear them from miles away. At LeMans the Diesel hybrids were great because of the kinda "rush" they produced but the V8s and occasional V10 were much more fun.

• Moderators Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone have any clue about this charger at Turners Cross in Cork?
    https://goo.gl/maps/R5kTybFymLPMssSU8

I've tried to contact EC Charging, or E-stations or anyone about it, but got zero replies.

There's a NFC area to tap a fob or card against, but at least the ESB card does nothing to it.

Anyone have any clue about this charger at Turners Cross in Cork?
    https://goo.gl/maps/R5kTybFymLPMssSU8

I've tried to contact EC Charging, or E-stations or anyone about it, but got zero replies.

There's a NFC area to tap a fob or card against, but at least the ESB card does nothing to it.

They seem to be in place for over 1.5 years now and no one knows who owns them or how to get them started. Its a mystery! :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105696119

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Won't be so quick to turn of the VESS anymore: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/boy-who-was-knocked-down-by-electric-car-he-did-not-hear-coming-settles-case-for-55000-937868.html

Mind you I wouldn't generally be careless enough to drive into a 5 year old while pulling out of a parking spot.....

• Advertisement

Compo culture strikes again

High Court. I wonder what were the legal costs for this case.

he boy also suffered a laceration to his head when the car door hit him.

Sounds like a comedic sketch. Knocked them down, then swings the door open when getting out of the car.

I actually missed that bit :D

All I can think of is this bit from hotshots now:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

New double charger opened on the A55, its about 90km from Holyhead. 50kW and will charge at 125A instead of the useless Electric Highway ones which max out at 31kW with the Ioniq.

I'll be using it on Sunday on my way back to Dublin.

https://twitter.com/engenieUK/status/1152178775716704257?s=09

Actually that’s a question I had, anyone use a charger in the uk? How do they work? I presume you have to pay for them.
    Very handy to have a few on the A55, i’d imagine they will be busy with cars heading to the port!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There are a few options on the A55, Electric Highway with their old DBT chargers, they max out at 31kW for the Ioniq.
    Engenie have contactless payment on their chargers, they've only just installed the charger at the Talardy hotel. They charge 36p/kWh but will be free for the next two weeks.

I also used a charger in Sheffield, there's was activated by a website. Tbh it's a bit of a mess at the moment, the government have asked operators to use contactless payment by next year, and have threatened legislation if companys don't,

Any else ever spot an EV on a road close to a charger and think, the race is on! :D

Chargers as rare enough, and when one is on route there's typically only ever 1 fast charger. Seems like if I spot another EV on a motorway there's a high possibility they'll be pulling into the next fast charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Funny that you say that. I was on the M11 the other day and passed a Leaf going Leafspeed. Shortly after, he passed me and headed up the road, turning in to the Gorey MSA.

I didn't need a charge, so he had his little panic for no reason. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just back from a fortnight in the south of Spain. Didn't spot a single EV. Plenty of Ioniq hybrids though, for some reason. They must not follow Nyland over there (you don't want those ones he said pointing at the hybrid and PHEV :p) and / or taxation and incentives must be bad for EVs...

Such a contrast with my last trip to the Netherlands only a few weeks ago. EVs everywhere. Must be the second country in the world after Norway for EV penetration. Tesla Model 3 was the best selling car (!!!) in NL in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

My wife while parking our rental i3s yesterday just off a paved road decided to “blip” the accelerator to overcome a tree root just like she was driving her old heavy diesel Volvo SUV.......... The screams from me and the kids as we lunged forward toward a Dutch canal with seemingly the thrust of a titan rocket will haunt my dreams for years to come:eek:

The brutal acceleration of the i3, the ability of the skinny wheels keep traction and the brakes of the mini beast surely defy the laws of physics. Despite that we have all fallen for the i3, even with the unusable infotainment system and those silly doors which make quite a lot sense for two small kids who when bored like to play with electric windows.

I hope my wife does not figure out that BMW traffic assist is similar to pro-pilot or we will be trading in our 3 week old leaf for a new pug like i3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is my charging scan from last night.

https://flic.kr/p/2gG9i8K

Why does the car, once fully charged, have another hefty peak of around 1.6kW?

Is this the battery balancing I have heard about?

Quick question.
    In order of power output/speed of charge, what are the general names of chargers. ie. Are the 50KW DC or 350KW DC chargers referred to as "Fast" or "Rapid" chargers?
    22KW AC chargers are referred to as what?

I assume a "trickle charger" is just a standard 3 pin socket.

Quick question.
    In order of power output/speed of charge, what are the general names of chargers. ie. Are the 50KW DC or 350KW DC chargers referred to as "Fast" or "Rapid" chargers?
    22KW AC chargers are referred to as what?

I assume a "trickle charger" is just a standard 3 pin socket.

Unfortunately the terms are sometimes swapped around. Even eCars have different terms so there isnt one definitive answer.

Trickle charge AC
    3-pin socket using granny charger @ ~2kW

Slow charge/ Fast charge AC
    Generally anything upto 3.6kW on AC is slow and greater than that is fast but Im not sure there is an exact definition of it

Rapid DC
    <50kW, however eCars call these fast chargers so that muddies the waters a bit.

High Power chargers DC
    <150kW, I think

Ultra high power DC
    >150kW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Is it possible to get a ev or even phev that fits 3 baby car seats in the back seat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You will have to try your seats, it's the only way.

EV - Tesla Model S and X almost guaranteed they will fit, most other EVs not so sure. Ioniq, Tesla Model 3 and Leaf have reasonable rear seating, 3 adults would (just) comfortably fit to give you an idea. All other EVs that I can think of are too small.

PHEV - Try Mitsubishi Outlander and Kia Optima

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the difference between state of charge BMS and state of charge display are? There's a difference between the 2 of them on my ioniq. Not sure what make of that.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the difference between state of charge BMS and state of charge display are? There's a difference between the 2 of them on my ioniq. Not sure what make of that.

The car lies a little about your state of charge. When the display says 100% it's actually around 95%. This is to allow space for regen and degregation. The SOC BMS is the actually charge level.

BMS state of charge is the actual state of charge
    Display state of charge is what is displayed to you.

When the display state of charge reaches 0% the car will shut down, however there will still be 2-5% BMS state of charge that is not accessible

Similarly at display 100%, BMS will be at 95-97%

• Advertisement
Advertisement