Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

With the Outlander, there are a few ways to use it

If you use it and plug-in regular at home, the MPG will be high
    likewise, if you just use it as a hybrid ICE car then the MPG is low 40's avaerage

I have a leaf24 and think one of these would be great as our main car (using it mostly in EV mode as needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

slave1 wrote: »
    Outlanders were/are huge in the UK because of tax/BIK/congestion charge incentives and many were bought for these reasons and there was an article I read a few months back that many used company car Outlanders still had charging cables wrapped and they were only bought for the benefits listed and not cheap or eco purposes.
    I think the mpg is shocking, I'm getting nearly 60mpg in my CRV, dropping to maybe 56mpg at this time of year and to look at 40mpg or less is just unreal, very rarely drive the CRV around town as we have a L30 for that so cannot advice on town mpg

CRV hybrid or diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The Outlander is a great car if it suits your usage. EV only range is ~30km, so if you usually do less than that during the day, or if you commute 30km each way and can charge at work, then it could be ridiculously cheap to run. Add to that low tax, free parking, free charging, discounted tolls and the savings add up.

Below is the data logging from some of my trips (when I could be bothered to run the software). It's not representative of my driving as there are a few long trips logged overe christmas. Even at that it's returning 70mpg plus the electric usage, and the electric would be negligible - my total electricity cost for December was €15.

If you are doing big motorway miles then it's not for you. If you do mostly city miles, but occasionally need the range (and you need a big SUV) then it's a great car to drive.

Fvm9fBO.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

vectra wrote: »
    CRV hybrid or diesel?

132 1.6 Diesel

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

Have just taken the plunge & purchased a 2016 Outlander as the 'family' car. Based on the normal daily driving pattern, we should get away with mostly EV driving which will be great :)

ESB charge card applied for & now just need to get the home charger installed now :D

• Advertisement

rev2.0 wrote: »
    Have just taken the plunge & purchased a 2016 Outlander as the 'family' car. Based on the normal daily driving pattern, we should get away with mostly EV driving which will be great :)

ESB charge card applied for & now just need to get the home charger installed now :D

While you’re waiting for the card, any rfid card will unlock the chargers.

Also, register for https://easygo.ie. They are putting free chargers in Lidl stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Got my insurance renewal quote 900 !!
    AA is having a laugh - it was only 500 last year
    Anyone have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

foodaholic wrote: »
    Got my insurance renewal quote 900 !!
    AA is having a laugh - it was only 500 last year
    Anyone have any recommendations?

Its4women.. seriously.
    They quote for men also, can you imagine a company starting up called its4men, the outcry.

Anyway went from 470 to quotes of 800 back to 500 with its4women. Premiums are rising though.

Thanks

foodaholic wrote: »
    Thanks

An post gave me decent quotes the past couple of years. Worth ringing around a few places though. Each one has a target demographic that they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

123 undercut my quote by 1,000 euros last year (Class 1 insurance) and then came down another 250 euros this year.

Chance their online quote.

I can’t understand how the insurance companies do it - such a huge variation in quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Would anyone have experience of the towing capacity of the Outlander?
    Thinking of downsizing from a car and a hilux to one vehicle here. Mostly under 30k short trips but 4-6, 2-300km round trips per month, with no end of journey charge points.
    Doing 25-30k per year with irregular 2t towing capacity required.

Thinking of downsizing from a car and a hilux to one vehicle here. Mostly under 30k short trips but 4-6, 2-300km round trips per month, with no end of journey charge points.

PHEV towing capacity is 1.5 tonne. Diesel is 2 tonne.

Never towed anything. I’d say it would be great if you’re below the weight limits as electric motors produce max torque at 0 RPM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

stimpson wrote: »
    PHEV towing capacity is 1.5 tonne. Diesel is 2 tonne.

Never towed anything. I’d say it would be great if you’re below the weight limits as electric motors produce max torque at 0 RPM.

Thanks, I'd rarely need above 1.5t when I do my sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Bear in mind the gvw is probably in our around 2,000kg on them also so if you're on a b license you'll only have 1,500kg to play with anyway

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for all the posts on this lads, v helpful.
    I was going to buy one but reading here I think I could be barking up the wrong tree.

I travel to work 85km each way 2 days per week, some weeks I have to go 3 times, but it might be once per month. There is a charge point at work now.
    I'm doing around 30,000 km per year.
    Id travel to matches around Connacht, maybe 5 trips to Dublin a year.

I currently have a 172 Skoda Superb estate 2.0 diesel. On trips to work I'm getting around 40mpg, on the way home its 50mpg due to traffic.
    I need to have the space for the 2 kids, I train the football team and I cycle so I need room for the bike.

I'm still torn as to whether this motor would save me money or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

yop wrote: »

I'm still torn as to whether this motor would save me money or not.

Hard to say, you will need to put some figures into a spreadsheet. If you were to sell your Skoda now privately, you would lose a lot of money on it as it is relatively new. If you bought a brand new Outlander, you will have fairly high depreciation too the first few years

One thing is certain, you will save a lot of money on fuel, given that electricity at night rate is at least 80% cheaper per km than diesel. And you can charge at work too, which is free.

Would you not wait for a bit and think about it, in a few months time you will be able to buy a Kia eNiro, which is fully electric, has a very long range (guts of 500km), seems to cover your needs and will save you a fortune on fuel (while probably keeping its value well)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

unkel wrote: »
    Hard to say, you will need to put some figures into a spreadsheet. If you were to sell your Skoda now privately, you would lose a lot of money on it as it is relatively new. If you bought a brand new Outlander, you will have fairly high depreciation too the first few years

One thing is certain, you will save a lot of money on fuel, given that electricity at night rate is at least 80% cheaper per km than diesel. And you can charge at work too, which is free.

Would you not wait for a bit and think about it, in a few months time you will be able to buy a Kia eNiro, which is fully electric, has a very long range (guts of 500km), seems to cover your needs and will save you a fortune on fuel (while probably keeping its value well)

Thanks for coming back, tbh I had never even heard of the eNiro so I'd certainly look at that. :)

Good points re the Skoda. I just spotted a lovely Outlander for sale there in Mayo and it turned my head. Need to slap my head back again! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

yop wrote: »
    Thanks for coming back, tbh I had never even heard of the eNiro so I'd certainly look at that. :)

Good points re the Skoda. I just spotted a lovely Outlander for sale there in Mayo and it turned my head. Need to slap my head back again! :D

Is the eNiro not much smaller than the Outlander?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Both are 5 seat. Outlander is taller, 30cm longer, has more boot space and has 4WD, so yes it is bigger than the Niro

yop will have to take both for a test drive to see if they suit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Has anyone got recommendations for outlander tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Anybody know the approximate price of the tyres for the outlander.

I've been recommended Michelin CrossClimate+ as a good all weather, and they won the WhatCar test last year:

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/owning/whats-the-best-all-round-tyre/n1161

Price depends on size - ring around a few fitters for prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

I just got two Hankook 225/55/R18 tyres from Donnelly Tyres in Glasthule (next door to Mitsubishi dealer). They were €150 each :eek:

Will probably have to replace the other two in the next few months, so if anyone has a better steer on where to get tyres cheaper, I'd love to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Had a look at a second hand one of these yesterday. It's it normal to see them plugged in and on charge when looking at a second hand car? None of the ev's there were plugged in.

Had a look at a second hand one of these yesterday. It's it normal to see them plugged in and on charge when looking at a second hand car? None of the ev's there were plugged in.

They don’t need to be constantly on charge in a showroom. Especially if they are not being used daily. It’s better for the battery if it’s kept <80% if it’s going to be standing for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

stimpson wrote: »
    They don’t need to be constantly on charge in a showroom. Especially if they are not being used daily. It’s better for the battery if it’s kept <80% if it’s going to be standing for a long time.

Thanks. If you were looking to buy one should you see it charging beforehand to make sure its all working or is there never an issue with that?

• Advertisement

Thanks. If you were looking to buy one should you see it charging beforehand to make sure its all working or is there never an issue with that?

I’ve never heard about an issue with one not charging. There is a battery gauge on the days like the fuel gauge.

If it’s an Outlander, there is an Android app called PHEV Watchdog that will show you the SoH (State of Health) of the battery. You need a compatible ODBC reader to check it out.

http://phevwatchdog.net

TBH, you’d want to do your homework before buying one. If you do a lot of motorway driving then you’d be better off with a diesel.

Advertisement