Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Prices are all over the shop TBH. I got a 2016 GX5Hs with 13K miles and a Mitsubishi service for €28.5K last November (10.5K plus trade innof my Auris Hybrid Touring). I’ve seen same spec with double the mileage at 37K in Westbrook. I may have just been lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Oh right, I need an S model so :P

It's Siobhan, she is lovely. They know about me annoying their head about cars :-)

From what I know, Phil sent me a vid but I have to watch yet, its the newer model so would be the same as a 2016. That's what I think Phil said....

Yep the video is here. It's a goregeous looking motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Had a call to buy the car ...... couldn’t understand the concept of plugging it in! Don’t know if it was a windup. She didn’t sound young. Wanted to know it she can run on petrol alone and not charge it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I guess the Outlander use the same infotainment system as the Nissan Leaf? the all around monitor etc looks the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I guess the Outlander use the same infotainment system as the Nissan Leaf? the all around monitor etc looks the same?

I have a L24 but doesn't look the same...
    Check H E R E and let me know...

Nope - the Leaf has a half decent one.

The Outlanders one is really bad. I use Google maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

stimpson wrote: »
    Nope - the Leaf has a half decent one.

The Outlanders one is really bad. I use Google maps.

Through android auto or apple car play?

duploelabs wrote: »

The 2016 I drove had no support for it

More was wondering if the nav was same?

duploelabs wrote: »

2018 and later I think had CarPlay/Android Auto. Most had the Mitsubishi one which is rubbish.

No one checked my link above, isnt !??
    Some 2017 models have the newer head unit, without the buttons on the sides.

My reserved one doesn't have the touch screen even if is a late 2017 model.
    Kind of I'm happy here as last thing I wanted Google and the three letters knows where I am in and with the car as well...

• Advertisement

I think I just might have convinced my OH to get the Outlander after the Diesel Outlander died last week, it just died in the middle of Kilkenny and they still don't know what's wrong with it.

Lucky she wasn't in the middle of overtaking or pulling out onto a main road with a truck coming, Jesus, when you think about it, she says she'd never trust it again, so she's toying with the idea of getting the PHEV, we'll see.

I think I just might have convinced my OH to get the Outlander after the Diesel Outlander died last week, it just died in the middle of Kilkenny and they still don't know what's wrong with it.

Lucky she wasn't in the middle of overtaking or pulling out onto a main road with a truck coming, Jesus, when you think about it, she says she'd never trust it again, so she's toying with the idea of getting the PHEV, we'll see.

This one here is a beaty...just haven't got the cash and time to get it.

rolion wrote: »
    This one here is a beaty...just haven't got the cash and time to get it.

It's lovely alright but she wouldn't import, too much hassle. + have to see what's the story with the Diesel.

It's lovely alright but she wouldn't import, too much hassle. + have to see what's the story with the Diesel.

There are lots of PHEVs locally in the range of basic 3 and 4 series...few in 4hs, none in GX5HS... i will say is well worth it,top of the range and it has black seats (most of the 5 series have red seats). Is a beasty and a beauty ...
    Bribe her as a weekend away !?? ;) You pay for the benefit of being maried... ? Does that works ??

rolion wrote: »
    There are lots of PHEVs locally in the range of basic 3 and 4 series...few in 4hs, none in GX5HS... i will say is well worth it,top of the range and it has black seats (most of the 5 series have red seats). Is a beasty and a beauty ...
    Bribe her as a weekend away !?? ;) You pay for the benefit of being maried... ? Does that works ??

How do you import it anyway , never did it before, see she doesn't know what's the story with her diesel yet + she'd have to come up with the cash to buy which could only happen if she sells private and I know she wouldn't be bothered with it all. Import + sell + pay vrt, register it etc.

How do you import it anyway , never did it before, see she doesn't know what's the story with her diesel yet + she'd have to come up with the cash to buy which could only happen if she sells private and I know she wouldn't be bothered with it all. Import + sell + pay vrt, register it etc.

Importing is very easy when you deal with a garage !

Painful to sell a faulty car to repair it to sell it private...
    Try a Mitsubushu dealer garage, they may take a trade in against a curent stock of PHEVs ?

But ,i share your feelings as it took me weeks to get my wife used to connect the charging cable in the EV every evening...cant tell you how many morning "ahh,i forgot the cable..." wake up ,drive her to work / collect her from work... history now but it took a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Vrt is easy, book an appointment, fill in forms, bring documents, be nice and pay with a card.

Selling is a pain to be fair, I got london car brokers to inspect buy and ship the car to me.

kanuseeme wrote: »

Not bad but she likes the outlander or at least she did ............... lol.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads, not sure what she's planning now, she's waiting for it to be fixed then probably go to a dealer and see what the craic is then.

They're going to replace the ECU probably because there was an ECU recall on it and they're probably hoping that fixes it lol, it's a Mitsubishi dealer.

I know I wouldn't feel comfortable in it again , I'd be afraid pulling out on a main road with the kids in the back or overtaking......bloody thing just died, no warning, no lights flashing no errors in the ECU, nothing.

What sort of battery and range is on it?

What sort of battery and range is on it?

Think it's 7.7 Kwh for the BMW.

Outlander has 12 Kwh. 2019 has 13.8 Kwh.

Big difference is the Outlander can be fast charged but sadly only has about 3.5 Kw charging, 7 Kw would have made a nice difference.

I'm just reading tha mpg suffers a lot in winter in the Outlander PHEV because it's impossible to drive in winter in EV mode only with the heater on, if you want heat the engine runs simple as that and mpg drops like a stone. This seems ridiculous for anyone doing local runs.

It seems that it can do about 56 Mph in Winter and up to 94 Mpg in the warmer weather.

The outlander Diesel does about 36-38 mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

I'm just reading tha mpg suffers a lot in winter in the Outlander PHEV because it's impossible to drive in winter in EV mode only with the heater on, if you want heat the engine runs simple as that and mpg drops like a stone. This seems ridiculous for anyone doing local runs.

It seems that it can do about 56 Mph in Winter and up to 94 Mpg in the warmer weather.

yeah i think thats why it has heated seats which can run on ev.
    Plus you can preheat the outlander while plugged in using an app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

As my mother says, put another jumper on then

• Advertisement

It's ridiculous really , if there's battery energy and you're doing short trips you should be able to use the battery for heat.

Preheating is grand but the engine will come on soon after you set off to maintain heat.

Battery degradation is also an issue I'm reading, seems to be more software related I think but no real fix from Mitsubishi.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It's ridiculous really , if there's battery energy and you're doing short trips you should be able to use the battery for heat.

As already said, heated seats... that comes from the battery and is all you’d need after preheating.

The GX3 doesn’t come with an electric heater and must run the engine for heat. Everything else does. It’s totally possible to run it on EV mode with electric heater on, but range will suffer. The heater is 4kw so it does pull quite a bit.

You can preheat the car while it’s plugged in which will reduce the need for additional heating. Think 30 mins of heating is an additional 2kW of heat you can put into the car. Heated seats and wheel are great.

Also, talk of mpg is meaningless as it’s highly dependent on your use case. If your commute is well within EV range you should be able to get very high mpg regardless of the weather.

There are DIY fixes for battery degradation. It seems the batteries are mostly fine but the BMU is very pessimistic. I have been using the heater hack and my SoH has been going up .4 Ah/1000km. There is also a hack to reset the BMU by dropping the Aux battery to 8V. I currently have >90% SoH and rising so haven’t felt the need to try that yet.

If she has a long commute I would question if it’s the car for her. If she does a short commute or mostly drives around town and needs occasional range then it’s a good option.

KCross wrote: »
    As already said, heated seats... that comes from the battery and is all you’d need after preheating.

How so ? I have heated seats in the i3, also in the Leaf and heated seats alone are not enough.

• Advertisement

The GX3 doesn’t come with an electric heater and must run the engine for heat. Everything else does. It’s totally possible to run it on EV mode with electric heater on, but range will suffer. The heater is 4kw so it does pull quite a bit.

You can preheat the car while it’s plugged in which will reduce the need for additional heating. Think 30 mins of heating is an additional 2kW of heat you can put into the car. Heated seats and wheel are great.

Also, talk of mpg is meaningless as it’s highly dependent on your use case. If your commute is well within EV range you should be able to get very high mpg regardless of the weather.

There are DIY fixes for battery degradation. It seems the batteries are mostly fine but the BMU is very pessimistic. I have been using the heater hack and my SoH has been going up .4 Ah/1000km. There is also a hack to reset the BMU by dropping the Aux battery to 8V. I currently have >90% SoH and rising so haven’t felt the need to try that yet.

If she has a long commute I would question if it’s the car for her. If she does a short commute or mostly drives around town and needs occasional range then it’s a good option.

How can you run on EV alone with heat ?

her commute is about 100 Kms, currently averages about 35-38 mpg in the Diesel Outlander , or did until it died lol.

The basic model outlander gh3 has the heating problem,

I believe when you go to gh4 it can heat the cabin on battery, not sure maybe one else can help with that.

The battery, yes seems to be a BMU problem, its programmed to drop the SOH of the battery and results in reduced range. There seems to be a few DIY fixes involving draining the 12v system of power and resetting the BMU back to factory settings.

I get about 40 km on battery, (151) not bad , got mine in march and to date average is 1.72 L/100 km.

Come winter heater will be set and I will control it by turning the heating system on and off.

Its only 5 seats because of the battery pack, the diesel version has 7, and a type 1 charger and chademo. 17 kw max 30% to 80% in 20 minutes.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908151162378?make=BMW&radius=1500&postcode=l201bg&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2016&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Petrol%2FElectric%20Plug-in&maximum-mileage=60000&page=1

the BMW has a range of 40 km. I know nothing of the car only a reviewer said steering is not responsive a high speed.

How can you run on EV alone with heat ?

her commute is about 100 Kms, currently averages about 35-38 mpg in the Diesel Outlander , or did until it died lol.

Apologies. I’m mistaken. You can run the demister without firing the engine. If the climate control is set it 10deg or more than ambient temp then the engine will fire.

At 100km it’s questionable if a PHEV is worth it TBH. It will get similar mpg to the diesel over that range. I visit the in-laws which is 160km round trip and I get 45mpg with a charge on the other end.

45 mpg is a lot better than the diesel lol, still if half or a quarter can be met with ev or mix and the more we can keep the battery topped up the better. Shame her work has no charging, that would be ideal.

In warmer months more use could be made of the battery.

The diesel is not efficient at all even if the outlander isn't very aerodynamic.

GH3 are cheaper, you can buy a lot of heat with the money you save.

I got 3.4 l / 100 km on a 100 km commute, with one charge

On a 50 km commute and 50 km back with a charge, its better than 100 mpg as that is all the dash tells me.

What is her commute? motorway? charge at both ends?

How so ? I have heated seats in the i3, also in the Leaf and heated seats alone are not enough.

Each to their own then. You must be a cold being!

Heated seats and preheating has always been enough for me.

45 is with 2 charges. It would be more like 35 with only one charge. If it was me I’d be looking at a RAV4 hybrid for that commute.

GH3 are cheaper, you can buy a lot of heat with the money you save.

I got 3.4 l / 100 km on a 100 km commute, with one charge

On a 50 km commute and 50 km back with a charge, its better than 100 mpg as that is all the dash tells me.

What is her commute? motorway? charge at both ends?

M9 Carlow - Kilkenny and back or just north or Carlow town about 4 km from m9 access.

No charge at work.

KCross wrote: »
    Each to their own then. You must be a cold being!

Heated seats and preheating has always been enough for me.

Depends on the commute maybe but no I won’t sit in a cold car neither would she heated seats and cold car not a hope.

• Advertisement

45 is with 2 charges. It would be more like 35 with only one charge. If it was me I’d be looking at a RAV4 hybrid for that commute.

35 mpg with 1 charge over 100 km ? That is 1 charge from home no charge at work.

With her commute, the engine will be on a lot of the time, so I would not worry about heat,

With a little effort she could maximise the battery, and get better mpg than the diesel.

Any chance charging at work could become a possibility?

Depends on the commute maybe but no I won’t sit in a cold car neither would she heated seats and cold car not a hope.

I wouldn’t sit in a cold car either or suggest anyone else to or suggest extra clothes etc. I’m just saying I find preheating plus heated seats more than enough. YMMV.

With her commute, the engine will be on a lot of the time, so I would not worry about heat,

With a little effort she could maximise the battery, and get better mpg than the diesel.

Any chance charging at work could become a possibility?

She said they’re building a new building for work and will put in charge points but will be a while yet.

If that was the case if I were here I’d get an ioniq 2nd hand.

The diesel isn’t efficient but the car itself isn’t efficient 35-38 mpg , if I try hard enough over about 80 km I can get about 39 mpg .

M9 Carlow - Kilkenny and back or just north or Carlow town about 4 km from m9 access.

No charge at work.

If me with that journey,

get into preheated and charged car drive to m9 on battery, on the m9 press charge, you get heat then.

Then off ramp Kilkenny press charge again to turn off engine and continue to work on battery.

Reverse for the way home, using engine for motorway portions, battery is not going to last long at 120 km/h

if you can get an outlander from a dealer for a test run, it would help.

and of couse after she can do this.

320 km airport run with one quick charge I got 42 mpg.

what are you doing Stimpson?

Cruise at actual speed limit based on satnav. Probably 60% motorway. The breeze block aerodynamics don’t help at that speed. It does much better around town.

I just did a run from Dublin to Slane. Started with 89% battery and did 42km at 75mpg. Will report back when I get home.

Press charge?

As you said better around town, I would use the battery as much as possible and on a motorway charge it up and then deplete as you arrive home.

If the engine is running, might as well throw any excess energy into the battery for use later.

Even 75 mpg is good.

If I’ve to go on a long trip in the I3 Rex I’ll use the Rex at 75% when allowed then use it on the high speed roads and battery on low speed roads and in town.

If I’ve to go on a long trip in the I3 Rex I’ll use the Rex at 75% when allowed then use it on the high speed roads and battery on low speed roads and in town.

Well, Outlander is a kind of big, no, bigger version of your i3 rex solution.

• Advertisement

Ok so results are in. 85km split 50/50 between motorway and N road gives 46mpg. That’s without heat and using charge mode on the motorway.

Pretty much what I get going to the in-laws with 150km and a charge at the other end.

Advertisement