Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

CoBo55 wrote: »
    It’s for women are a front for AIG, try their site directly you could shave a bit more off.

Wife used IfW a couple of years ago. NEVER again! Worst customer service ever. Failed to send out documents then when they did they messed the address up and sent out documents to the wrong address then wanted my wife to sign a document that said she had lost them before they would replace them. All done by email with a chronically slow turnaround time.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

CoBo55 wrote: »
    It’s for women are a front for AIG, try their site directly you could shave a bit more off.

AIG came in at €440. I'll definitely be hitting 123 with the price match game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Miscreant wrote: »
    AIG came in at €440. I'll definitely be hitting 123 with the price match game. :)

I never bother contacting my outgoing insurer I just renew, it's their loss.

Wife used IfW a couple of years ago. NEVER again! Worst customer service ever. Failed to send out documents then when they did they messed the address up and sent out documents to the wrong address then wanted my wife to sign a document that said she had lost them before they would replace them. All done by email with a chronically slow turnaround time.

I used them last year I just printed off the cert no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Male 50+
    2l, 180 bhp vehicle
    Some business driving
    25k value
    €368 with aig

Lowest ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Warbeastrior

What do people think of this for myself. I think its high enough but everywhere else seems to be even higher.

Male
    2010 Nissan Pixo 1.0
    6 Years No Claims Discount.
    No Penalty Points
    No Claims

€455 with Aviva for fully comprehensive.

Nowhere else is under €500

Its gone up from last year even with another year NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Mrs O
    E300H
    Last years €670
    She had a claim for a headlight ;)
    €1500
    Thank God for bonus protection
    This years premium with an post
    €575
    15k business miles
    That time of year again.
    Renewal letter came in. No change in particulars
    Quote €547.
    Called them and got it reduced to €535. Won't do much better I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

That time of year again.
    Renewal letter came in. No change in particulars
    Quote €547.
    Called them and got it reduced to €535. Won't do much better I'd say.

Check if step back protection is still inplace..if not, could it be added.
    Without step back - heaven forbid would mean a theft/fire claim which as you know is non-fault would wipe out the current 5yr ncb percentage.

Always check the insurer is giving you the hybrid rate as cheaper than petrol alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Check if step back protection is still inplace..if not, could it be added.
    Without step back - heaven forbid would mean a theft/fire claim which as you know is non-fault would wipe out the current 5yr ncb percentage.

Always check the insurer is giving you the hybrid rate as cheaper than petrol alone.

I did thanks. There's full protection (2claims in 3years I think) then if there were to be a 3 rd claim step back would kick in.
    It's a diesel hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

I did thanks. There's full protection (2claims in 3years I think) then if there were to be a 3 rd claim step back would kick in.
    It's a diesel hybrid.

Sorry all hybrid rated better 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭hellyeah

Male 45. Full Ncb
    08 Ford focus 1.6 petrol.
    Chill 531euro.
    Axa 337 added breakdown 372euro.
    Fully comp.
    Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm going to start looking for my renewal over the next week. I'm a 40 year old male. My cheapest quote last year was its4women.

Renewal is €390 for 'Premium' and €405 for 'Premium Plus'.

Both are fully comp with 'Plus' also including:

Windscreen cover
    Roadside Assistance
    Home Start
    Emergency Overnight Accommodation
    Legal Expenses

Drive a 2015 Hyundai i30.

I'll be checking their own website as new customer to see what comes up. Last year it was €330/€357 so I'm hoping to get it cheaper.

Have to print out your own disc with its4women.

Edit: Just checked their website. Can get the Premier Plus for €351, standard Premier for €323.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Your Age: 27
    Car type and engine: 2014 A6 3 litre quattro
    Years driving: 10
    Any claims: No Claims
    Price and provider: Currently fully comp €650 with 123

Shopping around now, cheapest so far is axa with fully comp coming in at €590

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm going to start looking for my renewal over the next week. I'm a 40 year old male. My cheapest quote last year was its4women.

Renewal is €390 for 'Premium' and €405 for 'Premium Plus'.

Both are fully comp with 'Plus' also including:

Windscreen cover
    Roadside Assistance
    Home Start
    Emergency Overnight Accommodation
    Legal Expenses

Drive a 2015 Hyundai i30.

I'll be checking their own website as new customer to see what comes up. Last year it was €330/€357 so I'm hoping to get it cheaper.

Have to print out your own disc with its4women.

Edit: Just checked their website. Can get the Premier Plus for €351, standard Premier for €323.

Try AIG directly too. Try chill as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭BillieT

Female: age 62, Driving for years, never ever had an accident or made a claim, and I Just had a day from hell with 123.ie
    I had my car off the road for 4 months cos I couldn't afford it. Before that I was insured with 123
    So two weeks ago I got a fantastic quote of 281, again from 123. Promptly paid it, in case they changed their minds, then had to wait till this week to tax it.
    No sign of insurance disk after 2 weeks so I rang them this morning, they said I missed out a line on my address, and it would be another 98 euro. (I mean, I think it would be very hard for me to forget to put my house number and street number. ) And also, I was insured with them previously, so they had my address already anyway.
    So after a lot of back and forward with a guy who sounded lke a robot, he was just repeating the same thing over and over again. That it was my fault and I have to pay the extra 98. I said I'd rather cancel it. So I had to pay 60 for whatever, admin or something, and they are refunding me 217 or thereabouts.
    I shopped around all day afterwards, and I cant get insurance now, because my tax is out, and I cant get taxed because my inurance is out
    AXA came in at 414, but refused me because of the above
    sorry for the long rant.

BillieT wrote: »
    Female: age 62, Driving for years, never ever had an accident or made a claim, and I Just had a day from hell with 123.ie
    I had my car off the road for 4 months cos I couldn't afford it. Before that I was insured with 123
    So two weeks ago I got a fantastic quote of 281, again from 123. Promptly paid it, in case they changed their minds, then had to wait till this week to tax it.
    No sign of insurance disk after 2 weeks so I rang them this morning, they said I missed out a line on my address, and it would be another 98 euro. (I mean, I think it would be very hard for me to forget to put my house number and street number. ) And also, I was insured with them previously, so they had my address already anyway.
    So after a lot of back and forward with a guy who sounded lke a robot, he was just repeating the same thing over and over again. That it was my fault and I have to pay the extra 98. I said I'd rather cancel it. So I had to pay 60 for whatever, admin or something, and they are refunding me 217 or thereabouts.
    I shopped around all day afterwards, and I cant get insurance now, because my tax is out, and I cant get taxed because my inurance is out
    AXA came in at 414, but refused me because of the above
    sorry for the long rant.

You don't actually need insurance to tax a car just write random numbers for the policy number. They'll still tax your car for you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

PsychoPete wrote: »
    You don't actually need insurance to tax a car just write random numbers for the policy number. They'll still tax your car for you

+1

I have being taxing cars online for many years now and never once put in my correct insurance policy numbers.

Thank you
    My husband tried that, and put the 123 policy number, they came back and said that the insurance had to be up to date.
    But I am gonna try that again tomorrow. I cant even go into the tax office because they never even sent me the disc. It's so fricken stressful

+1

I have being taxing cars online for many years now and never once put in my correct insurance policy numbers.

Thanks a mill. It didnt work for us today. But I am gonna try again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Thank you
    My husband tried that, and put the 123 policy number, they came back and said that the insurance had to be up to date.
    But I am gonna try that again tomorrow. I cant even go into the tax office because they never even sent me the disc. It's so fricken stressful

Put a random expiry date in the future for the insurance on the Motor tax site, there is no validity check done so it should issue the tax disc at the end. In the 10 or so years I have been renewing my tax online, not once have I put in genuine details. Choose an insurance company, enter some random digits for the policy number and a date in the next few months for expiry and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Did you cancel with them? Was it within 14 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

Recently got my first quote in my own name on a car.
    Driving experience: 3 years (2 on provisional, 1 on full license)
    Car: Solid 1.8 diesel Mitsubishi lancer
    Age (of car) : 2011
    No points/claims
    Value around 3 or 4 thousand
    Rang up every Tom, dick and Harry in the country including a few brokers.
    Managed to get €850 fully comprehensive with AXA as apposed to €1400 through the broker I usually go with.
    FBD wanted €3,500 and were the dearest.
    Just goes to show you have to call everyone and you can negotiate down to a price that suits.
    Expected to pay way more, very satisfied

Wheety wrote: »
    Did you cancel with them? Was it within 14 days?

It was 16 days. They never even got in touch with me, but waited till I called them looking for my insurance disc, to tell me I owed more money.
    It's all turned out ok now though.

Thanks to all the good advice above, I put an old Insurance number on the motor tax onine, and was able to tax my car.
    Then I shopped around and found Supervalue Car Insurance, which came in at 341, and their customer service was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

Your Age: 27
    Car type and engine: 2014 A6 3 litre quattro
    Years driving: 10
    Any claims: No Claims
    Price and provider: Currently fully comp €650 with 123

Shopping around now, cheapest so far is axa with fully comp coming in at €590

Hey Pete, I'm basically the same as you (Same car, near same age etc) with cheapest so far being axa at €577...did you manage to get it any cheaper with another company?

laneooo wrote: »
    Hey Pete, I'm basically the same as you (Same car, near same age etc) with cheapest so far being axa at €577...did you manage to get it any cheaper with another company?

No I haven't. It was cheaper to go with axa directly. AIG were the next cheapest at €640 and itsforwomen were around the same. Most places were €700-800 and liberty were closer to €1000

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mankteln

Your Age: 33
    Car type and engine: 2007 mercedes c180 1.8 petrol
    Years driving: 6 years full licence
    Any claims: 4 years no claims (no car for first two years!)
    Price and provider: 1k with the AA (Also pay for AA membership so that's another 100 or so on top)

Renewal coming up next month and AA are offering €950 so been shopping around, cheapest I've found so far is its4women at €711. They don't offer any no claims bonus protection which I have at the moment(and having started off with no no claims bonus I know that's worth it's weight in gold!) so not keen to switch to them. AXA (who I was with previously) are offering €840 and they have some protection (it's step back so you lose a year), anyone know what other companies offer NCB protection at this stage (lots tend not to offer it until you're full/5+ years)

..... ...... I cant get insurance now, because my tax is out, ...

You don't need tax to get insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mankteln

It's a diesel hybrid.

Can I check who you are with for the NCB protection? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keithb93

Male
    Full license for 5 years
    4 years no claims bonus.
    VW Golf GTD 2.0 Diesel 2016

The cheapest quote I could get is 750 with AXA through GMIB.
    Every year I have had to switch insurance company as the renewal always increases. Honestly i thought it would be cheaper 750 considering I almost have full no claims bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

Age 42
    Male Full Irish 25 years
    NCB 7 Years
    Peugeot RCZ

€738 through my local broker to RSA
    I can get it about €680 though several national brokers but happy to have a relationship and an office in my hometown and to support a local business.
    The quote is the same as last year which is disappointing. I though having an extra years bonus makes a difference,apparently not I'm on full bonus after 5 years (I thought it went up to 9?)

Advertisement