Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 259

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

One thing I would say is that Aljo will be defending the belt next time, so he should be able to approach it with a more conservative style

Why? I mean, sure, established champions often get a hidden benefit when it comes to judges scoring cards (Jon Jones being a prime example) but Sterling is a paper champion after what happened in Saturday's fight. It's almost as if there is no champion in that division now and I can't see Sterling going into the fight with any advantage in the judges' subconscious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,607 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mailburner wrote: »
    I think he can close the gap and next time we might have 4 razor close rounds but you'd still have to think if it were 2-2 going into the 5th that Yan would still finish the stronger.
    Into THIS 5th round, 100%. Yan was takin the 5th for a unanimous decision.
    But the gap between 2-2 and 3-1 going into the 5th isn't pretty small. If Aljo can scrape 1 extra round from 4, then suddenly he's 2 clear going and Yan needs a finish.
    One thing I would say is that Aljo will be defending the belt next time, so he should be able to approach it with a more conservative style which might suit him better.

Defending the belt makes no difference to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭Homelander

Sterling
    US2 wrote: »
    Heres a look at that terrible commentary again.

At one point when Joe was going on about how Jan was being outstruck and falling behind, I was thinking "seriously, what fight is he watching?" but ended up doubting myself.

That fight was particularly bad I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Mellor wrote: »

Defending the belt makes no difference to anything.

I disagree. Mentally it can change a fighters approach. Look at Tyron Woodley or GSP as an example.

I disagree. Mentally it can change a fighters approach. Look at Tyron Woodley or GSP as an example.

The discussion was about scoring.
    If the fighter changes his approach, he'll be scored accordingly. The belt doesn't affect scoring.
    ie If Sterling is more conservative. That would be reflected in the scoring.

I honestly think he has a huge opportunity to go ahead and have a lessons learned session a fix a poor gameplan. I'll be interested in the odds for the rematch.

The discussion was about scoring.
    If the fighter changes his approach, he'll be scored accordingly. The belt doesn't affect scoring.
    ie If Sterling is more conservative. That would be reflected in the scoring.

I honestly think he has a huge opportunity to go ahead and have a lessons learned session a fix a poor gameplan. I'll be interested in the odds for the rematch.

I wasn't part of any scoring discussion you were having in the post you quoted me.

I wasn't part of any scoring discussion you were having in the post you quoted me.
    I was discussing scoring. Funny that you're telling me that I was refering to.
    Brussels Sprout post also referred to scoring in his quote/post.
    As were other posters.

If you were discussing something else then have at it.

I was discussing scoring. Funny that you're telling me that I was refering to.
    Brussels Sprout post also referred to scoring in his quote/post.
    As were other posters.

If you were discussing something else then have at it.

You originally responded to my post and disagreed with me as we were talking about the same thing. We weren't, so not sure why you responded to me. Anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Same mechanism as a von flue choke. Head position was the same. Just locked it up from half guard.

Ah okay, nice to know. I love the von flue ever since i got caught in one in one of my first ever classes haha. I was like "what the **** is this sorcery?? im being choked even tho i have control of his head?!?" :D
    The FightPass Prelims were the best part of the whole night. First 5 fights had 5 finishes and they included the Fight of the Night (Nzechukwu vs Ulberg) plus three really impressive performances by Uros Medic, Amanda Lemos and Sean Brady who all looked like stone cold killers. Trevin Jones had a nice win in the opener and the final fight had the weird spectacle of "Crystal Meth Dominc Cruz" (Tim Elliot) ground and pounding Jordan Espinosa while accusing him of being a wife beater. Well worth watching them all in their entirety.

Yeah the prelims were great. I watched them on fight pass too. Was great to see Cruz beat that little scrote after his ****ty comments about Megan Andersons looks. Fight pass has been a godsend this past year

• Advertisement
Advertisement