Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 259

• 01-03-2021 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭

UFC_259_poster.jpg

Who wins 29 votes

Blachowicz
    0%
    Adesanya
    17%
    Morporkxtal191LuapyourdeadwrightHomelander 5 votes
    Nunes
    17%
    kwestfan08eurokevBurlap_SackJamieHPWhelo79 5 votes
    Anderson
    37%
    Morporkxtal191kwestfan08eurokevLuaphawaii501yourdeadwrightBurlap_SackJamieHPWhelo79Homelander 11 votes
    Yan
    0%
    Sterling
    27%
    Morporkxtal191LuapyourdeadwrightBurlap_SackJamieHPWhelo79Homelander 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Banger of a card!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

This one is definitely worthy of staying up, having a reheated pizza and a few cold ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I really like Anderson, she's a decent fighter and comes across as quite intelligent and funny on her Instagram YouTube videos, but she's going to get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I really like Anderson, she's a decent fighter and comes across as quite intelligent and funny on her Instagram YouTube videos, but she's going to get hurt.

The only thing that can beat Nunes is her own boredom or complacency. Or maybe, possibly Shevchenko.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Izzy saying he will be around 195lbs fight night. Jan surely be 230+ big difference but probably not far off what Costa and Romero weigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Ridiculously hyped for this one!
    Was honestly thinking about putting a tenner on Megan to win.. not that i really think she can do it, but if she did, im sure the odds are so stacked against her that youd make a nice return :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

santos rakic should be a great fight, same with yan sterling

Two fights there that are really hard to call

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sterling
    Id love to see Jan win , something about Izzy just rubs me up the wrong way ,

Agreed.

He spent days and weeks rubbing Paulo Costa's nose in it after he beat him.

We get it, you beat him. But there's no need to be a classless winner. Move on to the next opponent.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Agreed.

He spent days and weeks rubbing Paulo Costa's nose in it after he beat him.

We get it, you beat him. But there's no need to be a classless winner. Move on to the next opponent.

Yeah but man did you see the sheer amount of **** Costa talked in the run up to the fight? I actually put together a compilation of most of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tThLsko8_Vc

long story short, Costa talked an INSANE amount of ****. I really dont blame Izzy for trolling him post fight. Costa absolutely deserved it.

I think Jan can win this one tho. Watched Izzy v Gastelum last night and Gastelum had Izzy wobbled very early in that fight. Jan is bigger and hits harder than Kelvin, i think hes got quite a good chance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Izzy had me as a fan up until the Costa win. The way he celebrated the win hadn't got a picogram of class. He's a freak of a fighter, but after his last fight, I'd love to see him sparked by Jan.

Sterling
    Yeah but man did you see the sheer amount of **** Costa talked in the run up to the fight? I actually put together a compilation of most of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tThLsko8_Vc

long story short, Costa talked an INSANE amount of ****. I really dont blame Izzy for trolling him post fight. Costa absolutely deserved it.

I think Jan can win this one tho. Watched Izzy v Gastelum last night and Gastelum had Izzy wobbled very early in that fight. Jan is bigger and hits harder than Kelvin, i think hes got quite a good chance

Like others his actions after where a bit to much for me
    I also didn't like his excuse or lack of one for his clear breast issues ,

Yeah but man did you see the sheer amount of **** Costa talked in the run up to the fight?

Yeah but there's a lot of be said for having class in victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Casual MMA fan here - when she was around, Ronda Rousey was considered the best female ever right? What has Nunes marked now as the GOAT which is what I've seen her advertised as - she seems relatively new to the sport

Perhaps female MMA was still in its infancy and thats why Rousey dominated like she did? And the calibre of fighter that Nunes has been fighting has be of a much higher than Rousey in her hey-day?

Pardon my ignorance if any of the above is incorrect

Casual MMA fan here - when she was around, Ronda Rousey was considered the best female ever right? What has Nunes marked now as the GOAT which is what I've seen her advertised as - she seems relatively new to the sport

Nunes made her pro MMA debut a full three years before Ronda made hers

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Perhaps female MMA was still in its infancy and thats why Rousey dominated like she did? And the calibre of fighter that Nunes has been fighting has be of a much higher than Rousey in her hey-day?

Before Nunes, Rousey and Cris Cyborg were considered the two best female fighters ever.

Nunes destroyed both, in 2 different weight classes, and cleared out both divisions. Since September 2014 she has dominated everyone she's fought besides Valentina Shevchenko, who for me, is probably the only woman currently fighting who can genuinely challenger her and 100% #2 in the current female pound for pound rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Getting excited already

Should be a good show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Getting excited already

Should be a good show

It's not short of an epic fight card (on paper), let's hope the anticipation get's matched. Must also say that it is funny how sometimes the weaker looking cards can surprise

It's not short of an epic fight card (on paper), let's hope the anticipation get's matched. Must also say that it is funny how sometimes the weaker looking cards can surprise

Fully agree, have been up some nights and watched quick ending or slow fighjts between big names.

Only for the smaller names to have great fights.

Either way a few beers and some shouting at the telly haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Sterling
    I guess anything can happen but Megan Anderson seems way out of her depth here. Still looking forward to it but can't see her having much apart from that fluke chance any fighter can have.

Sterling

The biggest difference between Nunes and other women in MMA is that he has power, She hits & even moves like a bloke ,
    Everything she does looks strong powerful & purposeful ,

For example if you took footage of even Joanne or Rose for example and somehow blacked them out and just say there shadow I think you'd still know it was a women from there movements, not Nunes ,

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

Haven't got the option to buy the PPV on Sky yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Rousey's time in MMA ended when Nunes beat the **** out of her in about 4 seconds. Look the fight up. Nunes basically hurt her badly with the first punch she threw and then absolutely wailed on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

Sterling
    Haven't got the option to buy the PPV on Sky yet?

Its not PPV here, its on BT Sports 2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Rousey's time in MMA ended when Nunes beat the **** out of her in about 4 seconds. Look the fight up. Nunes basically hurt her badly with the first punch she threw and then absolutely wailed on her.

Rousey was finished after the Holm fight, she just didn't have the same confidence after being kicked in the head and picked apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Dying for these fights! I think the style matchup massively favours Izzy, but still excited to see him perform. P4P #1 fighter in the sport for me.

Nunes-Anderson probably won't be competitive at all, and tbh I hope Nunes wins just to add to her legacy.

Yan-Aljo is the fight of the night for me. Aljo is so talented on the ground, and has the physical advantage over 95% of the BW. Yan is one of the few fighters who gets better as the fight progresses; his power and clinch work is something to behold.

The whole prelims are excellent, all FW and BW, nice and technical.

Dying for these fights! I think the style matchup massively favours Izzy, but still excited to see him perform. P4P #1 fighter in the sport for me.

Nunes-Anderson probably won't be competitive at all, and tbh I hope Nunes wins just to add to her legacy.

Yan-Aljo is the fight of the night for me. Aljo is so talented on the ground, and has the physical advantage over 95% of the BW. Yan is one of the few fighters who gets better as the fight progresses; his power and clinch work is something to behold.

The whole prelims are excellent, all FW and BW, nice and technical.

Izzy is immense at the moment and a fun guy to watch, I think he is up for the task but changing weight always has risks.

I think Nunes is way ahead of everyone, her sheer power is insane

Having gone back over some old fights i think im leaning a bit more towards Izzy for the win. I think Jan just looks a bit too slow, and for all the talk of Polish Power, he really doesnt have a lot of KO wins. I think Izzy is just too evasive and an overall better striker, and having fought at HW in kickboxing i think the jump to LHW really wont be that big of a culture shock for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Izzy is immense at the moment and a fun guy to watch, I think he is up for the task but changing weight always has risks.

I think Nunes is way ahead of everyone, her sheer power is insane

Not for me. Her last two fights she couldn't get a finish and against GDR she got out of jail in that her takedown defence is so poor.

Advertisement