Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very windy in Sligo with big branches just breaking off the trees I presume because they are heavy in foliage and so dry. The perfect combo. Rain imminent though and at 23mm for June on day 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Still no rain here, just a brisk warm wind ripping away any moisture we might have got from dew or mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A lot of inland areas still need a lot of rain, so that chart isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rain just can't seem to get going here at all. Barely enough to dampen the ground so far. Hopefully that next batch coming from the west will have a bit more punch to it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

and it's raining here. Not much, but steadily. If it keeps it up all night maybe I'll be able to rescue my garden pond.

• Advertisement

35mm of rain in 5 hours in Co Kerry so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

8mm here in tipp and it is raining since before 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

pauldry wrote: »
    35mm of rain in 5 hours in Co Kerry so far

I had 20 in the North of the county

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Had some spits on and off here this evening but no real rain. A bit of a lee effect from the Wicklow mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

8mm here in tipp and it is raining since before 6pm

Finished with 17.6mm from that system this evening drought well and truly over in my area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Near Westport it was mostly gale force wind-blown drizzle with some short-lived spells of more intense rain during the hours of the weather front's passing. The ground appears refreshed, but remains rock hard. The 12mm total over the past 10 hours gave it time to soak in a bit, though. Here's hoping that the heavy showers 'promised' over the next couple of days will soften the ground further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Well this morning YR had 35mm forecast for here for Saturday

Updated this evening and now its down to 7mm!

Is this the star of the downgrades for the weekend?

Yep - just as I suspected.
    The front has passed here now and got a total of 5.1mm from it.... less than a sixth of what was forecast 4 days ago.

The Atlantic rain just ain't what it used to be:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Yep - just as I suspected.
    The front has passed here now and got a total of 5.1mm from it.... less than a sixth of what was forecast 4 days ago.

The Atlantic rain just ain't what it used to be:eek:

Well its lashing in Arklow from that Atlantic rain since around 8pm
    13mm so far and rising,making the june total 87.2mm
    Wind gusting to 70kmh with that
    A nasty night out there,here in the east

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Well its lashing in Arklow from that Atlantic rain since around 8pm
    13mm so far and rising,making the june total 87.2mm
    Wind gusting to 70kmh with that
    A nasty night out there,here in the east

Can see the strong radar returns over you now alright.
    It just never got as heavy in the West for whatever reason.

Edit to say. You've had 87mm in 20 days. I'ts taken 80 days to reach 87mm here (since early April). And most of that fell in the space of 3 days.
    You'd wonder who was in the East and who was in the West!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Only recorded 7.5mm from the passing of that Atlantic front this eve in my own location just east of Castlebar. I am also interested to see that it produced more rain near Arklow on the east coast. The band of rain that came from the east a couple of nights ago actually delivered nearly 2mm more here.
    I was walking through some fields locally earlier and the ground is certainly still quite hard underfoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

20.3mm from the front and this mornings showers in Arklow
    June total 94.5mm
    Certainly no drought here now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport recorded just 6mm yesterday and 1.3mm so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mortelaro wrote: »
    20.3mm from the front and this mornings showers in Arklow
    June total 94.5mm
    Certainly no drought here now!

Jackpot summer for us farmers on the East Coast again so far, I've plenty fodder for the cows now but gonna keep the Fert out and keep making the silage because I know the odds are we'll pay for it at some stage ha.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Jackpot summer for us farmers on the East Coast again so far, I've plenty fodder for the cows now but gonna keep the Fert out and keep making the silage because I know the odds are we'll pay for it at some stage ha.

Jackpot for you and poor Reggie is struggling :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain total for the month for Dublin 16 now at 56.2mm. More than March, April and May combined (47.4mm for the 3 months).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another miserable day here in Meath, very wet and showery after a night of rain. Hopefully we will get a drying trend this week, ground is getting very soaked here with so much rainfall since last Tuesday, easily the wettest week I've seen since sometime back in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gonzo wrote: »
    another miserable day here in Meath, very wet and showery after a night of rain. Hopefully we will get a drying trend this week, ground is getting very soaked here with so much rainfall since last Tuesday, easily the wettest week I've seen since sometime back in February.

I thoroughly blame you with your doom and gloom forecasts ;)

30mm of rain in Sligo for June now

8mm from "the rain"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Apart from a brief spell of heavy rain as the front passed over here yesterday evening, rainfall was desperately light throughout. I have noticed more than once when stratiform/nimbus clouds are higher in the sky than normal and lack the usual attending lower stratus ( like much of yesterday) then you'll not get much rain from them.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

pad199207 wrote: »

+1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »

thankfully it won't be all doom and gloom over the coming week, we should have a few dry and warm days later this week which will be a break from all the rain.

It does look like this is going to be a wetter June than last year, particularly in eastern areas which have already seen alot of rain this month. Western areas will be catching up this week but even there it should become dryer from Wednesday if only for a few days. If the charts look unsettled I just call it as I see it and if it looks like we are entering a a warm and dry spell i'll go to town on the warm and sunny weather.

Gonzo wrote: »

Will you ever stop moaning. It's badly needed if you want to see veg on your dinner plate :D
    We had practically no rain for 3 months

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A thread to discuss the rainfall patterns of the current year. This chart below shows the mean rainfall trend (expressed as the 28 day running percentage total) for Ireland (Rep) since the start of 2018:

sWZ4ZEA.png

As can been seen, and has been observed by many on this forum, dry spells (really anything below 75% of normal) have been increasingly short supply since late July last year right up to the present, with anomaly values up to 275% during late February/early March this year. Thankfully, the trend, as can be seen in the chart above, is now trending downwards and hopefully this will continue over the next few weeks. A long dry spell (as much as I hate them myself) is what is needed over Ireland right now to help dry out the land a bit and to add a bit of cheer to these bizarre times.

Data used is from Met Eireann.

OP be careful what you wish for in future, just sayin';)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

With you ever stop moaning. It's badly needed if you want to see veg on your dinner plate :D
    We had practically no rain for 3 months

and we had 7 to 8 months of deluges before that! Once the tap is switched on it's very difficult to stop it!

Spring was great this year, I really enjoyed that dry weather and it was badly needed to dry out the land after an incredibly wet late Summer into Autumn and into Winter period.

Now that we are back into an unsettled/mixed pattern it's time to start looking for that next decent spell of warm and settled weather as it is summer and a few weeks of proper summer weather would do us all the world of good!

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Apart from a brief spell of heavy rain as the front passed over here yesterday evening, rainfall was desperately light throughout. I have noticed more than once when stratiform/nimbus clouds are higher in the sky than normal and lack the usual attending lower stratus ( like much of yesterday) then you'll not get much rain from them.

Yep - long time since I've seen a "sky is on the ground" day here.
    Did yesterday's front stall in the East, or why did they end up with twice the rain we got in the west?

Advertisement