Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Apart from a brief spell of heavy rain as the front passed over here yesterday evening, rainfall was desperately light throughout. I have noticed more than once when stratiform/nimbus clouds are higher in the sky than normal and lack the usual attending lower stratus ( like much of yesterday) then you'll not get much rain from them.

This is strange.

We had heavy rain all evening, and it became thundery just before the clearance late last night

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Here there was about 11mm from just after 18.00 yesterday until about 09.00 this morning - nothing since, and now it's sunny, warm, and windy. Really depressing if you're trying to grow anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭endainoz

tromtipp wrote: »
    Here there was about 11mm from just after 18.00 yesterday until about 09.00 this morning - nothing since, and now it's sunny, warm, and windy. Really depressing if you're trying to grow anything.

Rain followed by heat is ideal if you want to grow anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

endainoz wrote: »
    Rain followed by heat is ideal if you want to grow anything.

that's exactly what happened here in Meath. We had a cold damp week 2 weeks ago where nothing grew for over a week and then once the temperatures rose from last Saturday and we got rain the growth has gone like crazy over the past 4 days.

But wind is not ideal if your ground is still rock hard and dry, and warm wind dries things out faster than cold wind. The rain moistened the surface - the earth is still dry below that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tromtipp wrote: »
    But wind is not ideal if your ground is still rock hard and dry, and warm wind dries things out faster than cold wind. The rain moistened the surface - the earth is still dry below that.

There can't be that many places still left bone dry after what has been a very unsettled week in many places with several hours of heavy rain across the whole country yesterday? Thursday and Friday also saw many hours of heavy rain across most places apart form the south-west.

The soils will recover, they always do. The next 2 weeks look fairly unsettled apart from a few dryer days later this week so you are bound to get more spells of rain.

Several hours of light rain here yesterday (ca 11mm in total), none at all earlier in the week. This is the same pattern we've had in previous dry years - places within 50 to 60 km of any coast get rain, places in the middle miss out. I remember two years ago being in heavy rain in Killaloe, 15 km away, getting home to find we'd had none - the shoulder of the Arra mountains makes an effective weather shield, even though the actual 'mountains' are tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Gonzo wrote: »
    There can't be that many places still left bone dry after what has been a very unsettled week in many places with several hours of heavy rain across the whole country yesterday? Thursday and Friday also saw many hours of heavy rain across most places apart form the south-west.

The soils will recover, they always do. The next 2 weeks look fairly unsettled apart from a few dryer days later this week so you are bound to get more spells of rain.

Here in Sligo the ground is still rock hard. Today's gale and sun hasnt helped. Grass is green but hard and crispy. Maybe that Monday Tuesday rain will soak us. 30mm for 21 days not nearly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Up to 92mm of rainfall for June in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

38.8mm so far at my location in Kilkenny, 37.7mm in Kilkenny city this month.
    We could do with more rain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

RobertKK wrote: »
    38.8mm so far at my location in Kilkenny, 37.7mm in Kilkenny city this month.
    We could do with more rain.

Gurteen had 15mm in May and 19 so far in June, not a lot after a dry Spring.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

6.8 mm today and 83mm for the month.

16.6c
    993 HPA.
    Saw wind

North Kerry

Dunsany now sitting on 57.7mm for June up to yesterday, which makes June the second wettest month of the year so far only the mighty rainfall totals of February likely to remain unbeaten by this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I think it was on this day in 2008 when I recorded an hourly total of 47mm. My highest hourly to date.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think it was on this day in 2008 when I recorded an hourly total of 47mm. My highest hourly to date.

That must have been 21 June. I think some broke their wettest June day on record, a sign from nature for the rest of the summer I suppose :rolleyes:

EDIT: Seems it was more focused on the south on 21st and north on the 22nd.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That must have been 21 June. I think some broke their wettest June day on record, a sign from nature for the rest of the summer I suppose :rolleyes:

EDIT: Seems it was more focused on the south on 21st and north on the 22nd.

You are right Syran, it was on the 21st.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

108mm now for june in sw donegal on my weather station, normal service resumed

45mm in Sligo now

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Persistent light to moderate rain since lunchtime close to Westport, which has cleared now. Todays's total up to 9:45 pm: 20.4 mm. June so far 51.4 mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

1.6mm in tipp yesterday(Monday) bringing my total for the month so far to 69.6mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

pauldry wrote: »
    45mm in Sligo now

46mm in Roscommon for June now. Of which 36 is since 15th. We might get the first month with close to normal rainfall since February

All but 3 Met Éireann stations (Gurteen, Athenry & Mace Hd) are running close to or well above their average rainfall totals for this part of the month to date now although many stations still well behind on their monthly average, but with more rain or showers expected before the end of the month in most places, this should be rectified somewhat.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Walnut Salad

The land really soaked up all that rain. There will be superb growth in the next few weeks.

The land really soaked up all that rain. There will be superb growth in the next few weeks.

It was badly needed. I got 100 mm so far in North Kerry.

First half decent drop of rain here this evening in a long long time. Nothing particularly heavy but persistent enough to 'get in deep'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

First half decent drop of rain here this evening in a long long time. Nothing particularly heavy but persistent enough to 'get in deep'.

Yep - got that here - a proper wet day.
    Only 18.8mm but enough to be the wettest day in 4.5 months - since 7th February - which tells a tale in its own right

Had 6m last night.
    32 this week
    107 for the month.

No rain, since 3am and it's 20c . Have we the making of another drought? :D

Panic over here as well. My garden pond, first filled in 1993, thereafter kept topped up with rainwater, dried up for the first time in 2018. I was worried there'd be a repeat, with the loss of another generation of larvae of dragonflies etc. But with the help of a big black plastic rain-collecting sheet it's now looking healthy again.

I didn't bother lifting any spuds though, even though yesterday was the day for it - let them have a bit more moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Only 43.2mm here and lower at 41.5mm in Kilkenny city.

So we need a lot more rain here.

• Advertisement

59mm in Sligo now

Will prob be 100mm by June 30.

Sunny today though and 38mm of that 59mm
    came during nights so we dont mind that

Advertisement