Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

59.9mm here now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good thing we are to get more rain as it’s only 45mm for the month so far, so still very dry overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

99mm for Sligo town now

39mm from last nights thunderstorms

Markree got 6mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

RobertKK wrote: »
    Good thing we are to get more rain as it’s only 45mm for the month so far, so still very dry overall.

Presume ye got nothing from last nights showers in kilkenny so?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

outlook looks very unsettled and mostly cool over the next 7 to 10 days with plenty of rain or showers. The Atlantic is making a comeback big time over the next 1 to 2 weeks with rain or showers probably every single day from tomorrow in most places.

Precipitation amounts of the next 10 days somewhere between 40 and 80mm of rain with some places likely to get close to 100mm.

240-777UK.GIF?26-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

pauldry wrote: »
    99mm for Sligo town now

39mm from last nights thunderstorms

Markree got 6mm

Live a stones throw from Markree and we got a hell of a lot more.
    Pools of water in fields around 7AM after the downpours.

Presume ye got nothing from last nights showers in kilkenny so?

1.8mm only

So Finner had 4mm and Markree 6mm but Sligo town 39mm

How do Met Eireann cover this sort of anomally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

So Finner had 4mm and Markree 6mm but Sligo town 39mm

How do Met Eireann cover this sort of anomally?

Short answer is they don't - but you would have to say that paucity of climatalogical stations anywhere north-west of Gurteen is something that they should be looking to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

On target for near 5 inches of rain for the month of June in Arklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Mortelaro wrote: »
    On target for near 5 inches of rain for the month of June in Arklow

What would you usually average in June Mortelaro?

51.6mm now here in north east Kilkenny, so we can easily take more rain to make up for the previous few months.
    I just want underground springs to be getting some repair from the rainfall, my own well has been under pressure - not too bad but it would have been really bad if the rains had not come, so I just love this rain and I say more please :D I can see the faces of horror on some :pac: but we have to take what comes...

Despite all the potent showers around yesterday, no real big rainfall values were recorded at any of the reporting Met stations. 13.7mm at Malin head was about the height of it followed by Cork Apt's 7.4mm. Johnstown, Casement, Claremorris and Markee, 4 stations located in regions that would have seen the worst of the storms, came in with combined average of just 3.4mm, with Markee's total of 6.7mm being the tops from that group.

New Moon

What would you usually average in June Mortelaro?

Under 4

A lot of heavy showers today
    123.2mm june total so far
    8.1mm so far today

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Despite all the potent showers around yesterday, no real big rainfall values were recorded at any of the reporting Met stations. 13.7mm at Malin head was about the height of it followed by Cork Apt's 7.4mm. Johnstown, Casement, Claremorris and Markee, 4 stations located in regions that would have seen the worst of the storms, came in with combined average of just 3.4mm, with Markee's total of 6.7mm being the tops from that group.

Well Sligo town had 39.5mm yesterday and 15mm so far today with a monthly total of 114.5mm now so drought completely eased though ground still hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

In Westport it was raining for most of today and 19,8 mm accumulated up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

A further 8mm in Kildare bringing the monthly total to 113mm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the next 10 days are trending wetter and wetter especially for the northern half of the country with well in excess of 100mm of rain forecast to fall in many areas.

Southern half of the country still looks wet but not as much rainfall expected there. The next week see's potentially the most unsettled spell of weather we've had since February with no shortage of rainfall.

216-777UK.GIF?27-12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM is even wetter looking.

DNv6R8x.png

watlantic wrote: »
    In Westport it was raining for most of today and 19,8 mm accumulated up to now.

I was there today. It pretty much rained non stop with thundery downpours at times too.

As is the theme with Climate Change drought will quickly turn to flooding in the coming 10 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Lucky I'm driving to Donegal tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport is at 107.4mm now for the month of June, we have definitely turned the corner as regards a drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sparksfly wrote: »
    We have had our first rain in months today (Thursday) . Started in earnest about 7:50 pm and is pelting still. It is very welcome.
    I will update on the well situation next Thursday.

So what level is at it now? It must be nearly back to normal.

Three days of rain here now. The brown patches on the lawn are long gone, and the grass is growing very quickly .

So what level is at it now? It must be nearly back to normal.

Three day of rain here now. The brown patches on the lawn are long gone, and the the grass is growing very quickly .

Ahh remember droughts.

Rain at 128.3mm for month now and still lashing

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Recorded 103.3mm so far this month near W'port, more than half of that in the past three days, and it's still raining as I write...
    Drought seems over, as I'm going for a PINT later today (with a massive meal, of course) to celebrate the recovery and new growth in the garden :D

142mm in Sligo town now

142mm in Sligo town now

You've passed me out, that's some going
    After a dry day yesterday and so far dry today, Arklow total stays at 125.2mm

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You've passed me out, that's some going
    After a dry day yesterday and so far dry today, Arklow total stays at 125.2mm

After last night we are up to 153mm

But Finners past me out

Theyr at 159mm

Rainfall totals at from the reporting Met Éireann stations for the June so far (up to 28th yesterday) with the percentage totals included (and ordered by) for the same period:

W2NPy6E.png

Much variation across the country with the NW now excessively wet while the S. Midlands remains quite dry.

Yesterday's UK Met map just to keep archived. What a grim looking set up for late June:

cQHJv3F.gif

New Moon

• Advertisement

I think the past 4 days in particular has put the tin hat on this June for many people. First half of July not exactly looking great either but hopefully it won't be as chilly or as wet as the past 4 days have been. Certainly for northwestern areas this has now been a deluge June with many eastern and southern areas also having a wetter than average June.

Advertisement