Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I'm getting a hue bridge is full try deleting some routines message when trying to add some new lights to a new room.

Any idea what my options are? I deleted a few routines I don't use too often and that allowed me to add the new room with two new lights l, but I've also added 6 new lights elsewhere that I cant add to a new room plus I want to add a couple of simmer switches.

I don't think I've that many bulbs/accessories
    Think I've about 35 bulbs 7 dimmer switches and 4 sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

and I landed upon "Hue Essentials", which added the sensor fine, and once I deleted the sensor via Hue Essentials I could add it via the Hub app.

The Hue Essentials is the best app for Hue around on Android and for smart phones in general, full stop. It also lets you control multiple Hue Hubs at the same time and even add Ikea Trådfri hubs, if you are so inclined.

I have 6 Hue Hubs due to the amount of bulbs, I have, and it would be a nightmare with the Hue app.

For those, who are on Apple, the Hue Lights app is the equivalent. It won't manage multiple Hubs, like Hue Essentials, but it's much more versatile and it actually still supports the old v1 Hubs even after Philips abandons them.
    Uriel. wrote: »
    I'm getting a hue bridge is full try deleting some routines message when trying to add some new lights to a new room.

Any idea what my options are? I deleted a few routines I don't use too often and that allowed me to add the new room with two new lights l, but I've also added 6 new lights elsewhere that I cant add to a new room plus I want to add a couple of simmer switches.

I don't think I've that many bulbs/accessories
    Think I've about 35 bulbs 7 dimmer switches and 4 sensors.

The problem is, that the Hue app sometimes replicates, doubles and fills up the memory with adding the scenes over and over again. Also here, try use the Hue Essentials app and do a clean-up. Mind, it will delete all custom scenes, so you will have to recreate them.

Also be aware, that 63 bulbs will be your hard limit per hub. You certainly should consider a 2nd hub, when you hit 50.

/M

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Welcome to the Hue club......

The colour bulbs are teh premium product, and are priced as such.

The white bulbs are the entry level bulbs and are priced to entice users to teh system, who they hope will eventually invest more down the line on colour bulbs when they see how good teh system is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would only buy when on offer....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I would only buy when on offer....

Have never paid full price and always on Amazon.

Irish retailers like Harvey Norman just can't compete on price even in a 'sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Delayed prime day is coming up so make an account on CamelX3 & load up your wants, particularly starter kits as they're the best value, then as the alerts come in, buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Welcome to the Hue club......

The colour bulbs are teh premium product, and are priced as such.

The white bulbs are the entry level bulbs and are priced to entice users to teh system, who they hope will eventually invest more down the line on colour bulbs when they see how good teh system is.

Oh ok thanks i honestly thought there was some error, there would be very little production cost difference between them. Lord they would want to have a decent guarunteed life span for 40 yo yos for a bulb:rolleyes: I wont be replacing the 20 in the kitchen with colored ones i guess just yet:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Oh ok thanks i honestly thought there was some error, there would be very little production cost difference between them. Lord they would want to have a decent guarunteed life span for 40 yo yos for a bulb:rolleyes: I wont be replacing the 20 in the kitchen with colored ones i guess just yet:P

Come back 6 months after you buy the first few and see if you have the same opinion :D
    These bulbs are an addiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

After my initial starter kit I bought most of mine on sale. I set a Keepa notification for a target price and only bought when they were on sale. I now have 15 bulbs (4 colour), 2x led strip with extensions, 2x motion sensors, 3x dimmer switches

• Advertisement

After my initial starter kit I bought most of mine on sale. I set a Keepa notification for a target price and only bought when they were on sale. I now have 15 bulbs (4 colour), 2x led strip with extensions, 2x motion sensors, 3x dimmer switches

an addiction :eek: Well reason I am getting a starter kit as Im currently using TP link wifi plugs for my lights with 40 watt "vintage" bulbs. The tp link wifi plugs although bloody great are starting to crowd my 2.4ghz radio channel so wanted to move some less important stuff off the wifi onto the zigbee radio waves thus freeing up bandwidth. Have not much knowledge of zigbee so will be interesting. Im hoping to match the warm vintage glow of my incandescents with the color hues. I shall report back in a few days :cool:

I got my first Hue bulbs in 2013, and within about 3 years, I had the entire house kitted with Hue (45+ bulbs with, 4 sensors, and 11 dimmer switches)

95% of my bulbs are all colour (I replaced all the White only & White Ambiance bulbs with colour when they could be got in deals)

My Advice, just buy the colour bulbs now so you don't need to buy the white only ones first and then replace them.

Halloween & Christmas are so much more fun with Hue Colour bulbs...

I got my first Hue bulbs in 2013, and within about 3 years, I had the entire house kitted with Hue (45+ bulbs with, 4 sensors, and 11 dimmer switches)

95% of my bulbs are all colour (I replaced all the White only & White Ambiance bulbs with colour when they could be got in deals)

My Advice, just buy the colour bulbs now so you don't need to buy the white only ones first and then replace them.

Halloween & Christmas are so much more fun with Hue Colour bulbs...

I looked up some of the Halloween and Christmas scenes on youtube but most seem to be related to outside lights which look great. but do those scenes not becoming a bit annoying after an hour or so inside the house? Almost disco like:confused:

Edit, I see with Hue labs you can control the flashes etc so it can be a very gradual color change etc so all good :D

I looked up some of the Halloween and Christmas scenes on youtube but most seem to be related to outside lights which look great. but do those scenes not becoming a bit annoying after an hour or so inside the house? Almost disco like:confused:

Edit, I see with Hue labs you can control the flashes etc so it can be a very gradual color change etc so all good :D

Set up a lamp or 2 in each front room, open curtains and looks great.

I looked up some of the Halloween and Christmas scenes on youtube but most seem to be related to outside lights which look great. but do those scenes not becoming a bit annoying after an hour or so inside the house? Almost disco like

Hue Halloween app, only on for the 90 minutes or so the kids are trick or treating..... sound via a Bluetooth speaker hidden under the car.

Kids and parents alike love it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hue Halloween app, only on for the 90 minutes or so the kids are trick or treating..... sound via a Bluetooth speaker hidden under the car.

This plus 100,its great fun, i was keeping an eye on the camera last year and set off the thunder & lightening as someone came it, i was the biggest child of them all :D

I have a spare google home mini and a power outlet in the porch so that would actually be pretty cool working with the porch light. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Has anyone setup the Philips hue recessed lighting? I have recessed lights which I thought were spots but they are not. When I YouTube the installation it’s showing them with E27 connectors attached but I require them hardwired.

Has anyone setup the Philips hue recessed lighting? I have recessed lights which I thought were spots but they are not. When I YouTube the installation it’s showing them with E27 connectors attached but I require them hardwired.

You mean GU10 type you want....

Newbs first impressions of Philips Hue Color Bulbs

Setup: Piece of cake complete in mere minutes no hassle. (Hub has a cool blue light also that looks well near router) Love LEDS:P

Bulbs: The speed at which they change color is amazing there is no lag and they all change at the same time there is no delay between the bulbs that I can see. They are completely synced, quite amazing. The colors are great I was looking for a nice candle color warm orange similar to an incandescent which I got. I use dimmer plug controllers on all my lamps so can be a pain to increase the light. These are handy. Also at the blink of an eye you can go from a soft candle glow to full on light if you want to read something.

App: Is good but the routines I have 2 small issues/ things i would have liked to see.
    (SMALL ISSUE) On my TP Link Kasa smart plugs you could also set up Dusk to Dawn settings but it would give you a time also displayed they were to come on / off at which would change with the local google dawn dusk information ie before dusk you would see this on the app
    Kitchen Lamp (18.04)
    Hall Lamp (18.04)
    Then after dusk when the lights turned on, app would display the dawn turn off time
    Kitchen Lamp (05.44)
    Hall Lamp (05.44)
    Small issue but I thought it was a nice little feature you could see how day after day the times would decrease/increase as the seasons / earths axis changed. I used this also to plan my evening activities lol (check kasa getting dark at 18.04 so ill do xxx at 5pm:P
    It gives a quick reminder also how many hours your lights are on for also in case you want to make adjustments.

A MUCH Bigger issue: Now maybe I have this wrong but another great feature of the TP Link KASA Smart Plug was the ability to set a routine using both sunset and a set time. (IE: Turn Plug on at Sunset then Switch Plug OFF at 1am)

It seems on the Philips hue app you either have a Specific time to turn on or off or DUSK to Dawn setting, There doesnt seem to be a way to combine a Dusk setting with a specific time off
    Is there a work around for this or am I doing something wrong seems bizarre, I can only assume I am wrong because that is a huge oversight so maybe someone on here can point me in the right direction. I dont want to leave all my lights on during winter from 5 pm to 8am :( 18 hour intervals:eek:

All in all decent system. I will definitely be getting a motion sensor and some GU10s bulbs (user above ill let you know how that goes you asked about that)

The Zigbee protocol seems great and I might invest in some Philips Hue Smart plugs and retire some more of my wifi smart plugs that are WIFI vampires

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Hue-Bluetooth-Google-Assistant/dp/B07YQHTK8R

Its 8/10 but if there is a simple way to combine dusk and specific time off routine ill go up to a 9:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

A MUCH Bigger issue: Now maybe I have this wrong but another great feature of the TP Link KASA Smart Plug was the ability to set a routine using both sunset and a set time. (IE: Turn Plug on at Sunset then Switch Plug OFF at 1am)

It seems on the Philips hue app you either have a Specific time to turn on or off or DUSK to Dawn setting, There doesnt seem to be a way to combine a Dusk setting with a specific time off
    Is there a work around for this or am I doing something wrong seems bizarre, I can only assume I am wrong because that is a huge oversight so maybe someone on here can point me in the right direction. I dont want to leave all my lights on during winter from 5 pm to 8am :( 18 hour intervals:eek:

I find this an issue as well.
    I have set up two routines so the first turns on at sunset and the second turns everything off at a certain time.
    Its not ideal but its the best i could do.

I find this an issue as well.
    I have set up two routines so the first turns on at sunset and the second turns everything off at a certain time.
    Its not ideal but its the best i could do.

Hi Ireland thanks for input I see, hmmm that seems to involve shutting all your hue lights on and off at the one time. Shame as I set different light timings in different areas with the kasa set up

For instance using my tp link plugs and kasa app i had this set up

Kitchen lamp: Dusk on , Off 3am,
    Hall entrance Lamp: Dusk on, Off 1am
    Landing lamp: Dusk to Dawn
    Uplighter Kitchen: Dusk to 11PM

So I had quite different light needs in different house areas depending on activity levels. So a complete light blackout across the house at a certain time isnt great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Hi Ireland thanks for input I see, hmmm that seems to involve shutting all your hue lights on and off at the one time. Shame as I set different light timings in different areas with the kasa set up

So I had quite different light needs in different house areas depending on activity levels. So a complete light blackout across the house at a certain time isnt great

you can set the routine to just turn off the room you want. but if you have 5 rooms then its 10 routines in total.

All this can be done with Hue,
    Just means you'll need more routines (5 in total for the above), but it can be done.

1 routine at Dusk for the 4 rooms above, to turn them all on.
    Then 4 separate individual routines to turn each room off at the time you want.

I see ok Andy and Rover I misunderstood the app so its a bit easier on the Kasa. I will familiarise myself with it so more. I thought a routine was the start and end of a light sequence i didnt realise a daily light cycle could be made up of 2 routines. Makes sense Ill try that today:cool:
    Thanks guys

i didnt realise a daily light cycle could be made up of 2 routines. Makes sense Ill try that today:cool:
    Thanks guys

Yep, if you use the same routine to turn off lights, you only get an 'off' option, whereas if you turn lights off in their own separate routine, you have more options for turning them off, like fading out etc...

Usually in winter I'd have 3 routines for some rooms: i.e. Sitting room: 4pm turn/fade on a bright scene like Energise or Concentrate with a 30 minute fade, then at 6pm, fade that scene into a Relax (warmer & not as bright) scene over 30 minutes or so, then at 11pm, fade the room off over a 30 minute period.

You mean GU10 type you want....

To be honest I would need someone to come out and have a look at what I need

- I has 1X recessed light in the porch that I would like to change to Philips Hue

- 3X recessed lights in the Hallway I would like changed to Philips Hue

- 2X Under Cabinet recessed lights in the Kitchen I would like changed to Philips Hue

Would I be best to get an electrician to have a look?

To be honest I would need someone to come out and have a look at what I need

- I has 1X recessed light in the porch that I would like to change to Philips Hue

- 3X recessed lights in the Hallway I would like changed to Philips Hue

- 2X Under Cabinet recessed lights in the Kitchen I would like changed to Philips Hue

Would I be best to get an electrician to have a look?

Take pictures of the bulbs/fittings and post them here, and also photos of them removed if you can..

At a guess I'd say the ones under your kitchen cabinets are 12v, and also not GU10.

Take pictures of the bulbs/fittings and post them here, and also photos of them removed if you can..

At a guess I'd say the ones under your kitchen cabinets are 12v, and also not GU10.

Grand. I will Take Photos this evening

• Advertisement

Grand. I will Take Photos this evening

You will need to change the tails and some fittings may not take the lamps depending....

The latest GU10 led hue are smaller and as close to the halogen equivalent.

If it's the case you need to remove the transformer at each fitting and change the tsil to 230v GU10 style....

Advertisement