Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Are the new hue colour gu10s identical to standard ones or is there still a dimensional difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Are the new hue colour gu10s identical to standard ones or is there still a dimensional difference?

Might be some help

https://huehomelighting.com/philips-hue-gu10-spotlight-guide-dimensions/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭jones

Philips hue hub has been working flawlessly for almost 4 years carrying 50 bulbs.... Until today. Can't connect to it now at all tried to reset it leave it plugged out and a while then back in but it's stuck in a loop.

Very odd. Anyone else have this happen?or if anyone has a spare hub knocking around they no longer want? I don't fancy spending 60 quid on a new one. I wouldn't mind but i gave away one a few years ago for nothing when I got it packaged with a gu10 set. No good deed and all that ha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mine have been acting the ham last few weeks, some work normally then settings as timed on or off not working few days then ok then off again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Have the hue stripes behind TV but young fellow keeps getting behind TV and pulling them off... Kids eh

Might use them elsewhere but any other options for this. Have lamp in bedroom but what's the Philips bloom like would that be better for lighting behind tv?

TV in a corner and not mounted on wall so have sub woofer and router behind TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have the hue stripes behind TV but young fellow keeps getting behind TV and pulling them off... Kids eh

Might use them elsewhere but any other options for this. Have lamp in bedroom but what's the Philips bloom like would that be better for lighting behind tv?

TV in a corner and not mounted on wall so have sub woofer and router behind TV

Super glue?

Also is the TV secure as if not that's extremely dangerous as I'm sure you're aware as TV could fall on him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I always use Sugru for jobs like that, little loop to put it through, if that's not an option double sided velcro would probably do the trick

Clareman wrote: »
    I always use Sugru for jobs like that, little loop to put it through, if that's not an option double sided velcro would probably do the trick

Used gorilla tape and he still manages to get it off he loves the sticky tape

Trying to avoid glue

• Registered Users Posts: 27,827 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Used gorilla tape and he still manages to get it off he loves the sticky tape

Trying to avoid glue

Put up an electric fence ;)

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Put up an electric fence ;)

I've thought of it.. Just social services might be called

• Advertisement

Ok folks update on my hue bridge issue and any help much appreciated.

Hue bridge died after 4 years and wouldn't connect tried resetting etc and nothing worked so I gave in and bought a new bridge.

First up I had to manually add each of my 50 bulbs by serial number as they were obviously still assigned to my old hub, pain in the arse I thought but I'll hopefully never have to do it again.

I am now running into more problems, i added all the lights back but I cannot control via Google home anymore. I've removed hue from Google home and tried to add it again but it keeps telling me it cannot connect (I've a feeling it's looking for the old hub). Hue app itself is also acting up I can't connect to out of home control it just sits at connecting constantly (again this uses Google log in)

So basically how can I remove all remnants of the old hub from both hue and Google? Any other ideas on what might be going on?

Has anyone heard of this issue before?

Update on above I was half right... Philips hue online was still linked to my old hub I deleted the old hub and hey presto I'm back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Hue outdoor Lily spot light leaked after 18 months, I have started the warranty process with Hue will be interesting to see how they deal with it. Very slow so far.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My Lily's are over 2 years in now, and not a bother with them..... I'm quite impressed actually as they take an awful battering from the rain, and they are installed in soil.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have 9 between front and back, 5 in soil 4 on walls. This one was up on a wall so I'm surprised its having trouble, I'm suspect of 1 in the front thats in soil but nothing conclusive.

Looking at gu10 and is this a good price? Have 2 hubs already

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0152WXDOA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_W0jsFb3AT6NSV

Yeah, that’s a fairly decent price per bulb with a hub thrown in...

Yeah, that’s a fairly decent price per bulb with a hub thrown in...

Cheers purchased had to get another as 4 lights in dining room

So another spare hub try and get parents a bulb maybe they can use it

Typical i just bought a replacement hub ha. I do find it weird that the hub cant go above 50 lights i'm surprised they havent increased it yet be it with a new hub or some other method. I've 48 bulbs currently so cant start any new rooms - 48 sounds a lot but my kitchen and sittingroom alone have 26 gu10 spots so you do not be slow about filling up the 50.

First world problems i know

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jones wrote: »
    Typical i just bought a replacement hub ha. I do find it weird that the hub cant go above 50 lights i'm surprised they havent increased it yet be it with a new hub or some other method. I've 48 bulbs currently so cant start any new rooms - 48 sounds a lot but my kitchen and sittingroom alone have 26 gu10 spots so you do not be slow about filling up the 50.

First world problems i know

The Hub can go to 63 bulbs, but that is the hard limit. (63 bulbs + 1 hub = 64, which is 7 bit in binary).

Now in theory, the software could be updated to connect many more lights, but the more lights you have on the one hub, the more slow it becomes to activate the lights. And possibly also unstable.

Ever tried to turn all lights on in a room with like 30-40 lights ? You can see, how the lights are turned on in sequence and not all at once.

Good planning on how you group the lights and for example the Hue Essentials app and it's not a problem to run multiple hubs.

I've even Alexa support added now, but I have it connected to my OpenHAB smart home hub, so that I can group lights across the hubs. And I have 6 hubs in total.

/M

• Advertisement

Cheers i do not know where i got the 50 bulbs from should be able to add another room so haha

ps are the newer bluetooth versions the same size as the regular GU10 white ambiance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Cheers i do not know where i got the 50 bulbs from should be able to add another room so haha

50 bulbs max is the official recommendation. But you will only get in real trouble, when you hit 63.
    ps are the newer bluetooth versions the same size as the regular GU10 white ambiance?

i don't have any white ambiance ones. But the 4th generation GU10 color ones are a bit slimmer than the older ones. At least compared to gen2 and gen1.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Hi guys,

I have 2 separate lightstrips and a bulb in my living room, so 3 lights. Am trying to connect them to a dimmer switch, with the idea being that 1st click turns on all 3, 2nd just 1, 3rd a different light, etc. However I can't figure out a way to do this, does anybody have any suggestions?

I have added then as 3 separate lights in the summer switch accessory set up but it seems to only recognise all 3 as 1 combination and no option to operate them individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Hi guys,

I have 2 separate lightstrips and a bulb in my living room, so 3 lights. Am trying to connect them to a dimmer switch, with the idea being that 1st click turns on all 3, 2nd just 1, 3rd a different light, etc. However I can't figure out a way to do this, does anybody have any suggestions?

I have added then as 3 separate lights in the summer switch accessory set up but it seems to only recognise all 3 as 1 combination and no option to operate them individually.

Add then all to a room or zone. Create scenes with each setting you want.

So scene one is all three on.
    Second scene is only one on.
    Third scene is a different one on.
    You can then assign the dimmer to bthe room or zone and set the scene to the button push you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Just set this up, perfect. Thanks a million.

Question for the peeps with large Hue systems
    Was about to order a two pack of Hue ambiance GU10s then noticed beside it the INNR ambiance GU10s for half the price. The technical info seems identical.
    Would it be messing up the Hue system to start sticking in non oem bulbs?
    I will use routines on all my bulbs and motion sensors in time so dont want to be making lighting system unstable or messy, with multiple apps or conflicts of software updates. Should one solely stick to Philips to avoid any issues? If its the sake of a few quid I would rather stability over a few euro saved. Last thing I want is to be having to mess with apps and then uninstall apps and have a farce or routines that work some times then dont. I just want it to work with no issues. Anytime I see cheap stuff i think..... whats the catch
    I guess im asking are cheaper Hue compatible bulbs a false economy?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innr-Ambiance-Compatible-Required-Dimmable/dp/B0848YGD4B/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=3H1J3TXXBJTWS&dchild=1&keywords=hue+ambiance+gu10&qid=1598879048&sprefix=hue+ambiance+%2Caps%2C264&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHN0hOOUtFWkNHQlUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3MzExMzIyOUpLS0c1TVhYSDMyJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MTI2NzAyVDRaOUgxTzJKUTNRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

I’ve a couple of innr bulbs, have them outside under facade ,I’m glad they are outside because mine have a very slight buzzing noise ,I’ve read elsewhere that other people had same issue ,I’d stick to the Philips bulbs if inside

I’ve only ever used Philips Hue bulbs, have about 48 active installed ones and about 10 spares used for various occasions.
    Hue have never let me down and I’ve read a lot here about folks having various issues with non hue in a Hue system, but that’s not to say non hue will not work, I’m sure there are also folk with non hue bulbs that work just fine.

If you take your time and pick them up in deals, you can fill the house at the right price.

Yeah ill leave it, dont want any variables when it comes to light system. I think the old adage "buy cheap, buy twice" comes to mind.

Maybe a silly question but...why doesnt philips have any official special effects on the app or on a seperate app? Is there a reason they leave it too third party software like "mediavibe"? I notice a lot of the apps have patchy feedback. Would it not make sense for Philips themselves to have an official halloween app and christmas app etc instead of these third party offerings? Im sure the Philips R & D could have an app and light effects programmed and app running in no time at all.
    Only reason I can think possibly the light shows might prematurely wear out the leds due to the strobing and constant light level changes and cause them warranty issues? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Question for the peeps with large Hue systems
    Was about to order a two pack of Hue ambiance GU10s then noticed beside it the INNR ambiance GU10s for half the price. The technical info seems identical.
    Would it be messing up the Hue system to start sticking in non oem bulbs?
    I will use routines on all my bulbs and motion sensors in time so dont want to be making lighting system unstable or messy, with multiple apps or conflicts of software updates. Should one solely stick to Philips to avoid any issues? If its the sake of a few quid I would rather stability over a few euro saved. Last thing I want is to be having to mess with apps and then uninstall apps and have a farce or routines that work some times then dont. I just want it to work with no issues. Anytime I see cheap stuff i think..... whats the catch
    I guess im asking are cheaper Hue compatible bulbs a false economy?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innr-Ambiance-Compatible-Required-Dimmable/dp/B0848YGD4B/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=3H1J3TXXBJTWS&dchild=1&keywords=hue+ambiance+gu10&qid=1598879048&sprefix=hue+ambiance+%2Caps%2C264&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHN0hOOUtFWkNHQlUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3MzExMzIyOUpLS0c1TVhYSDMyJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MTI2NzAyVDRaOUgxTzJKUTNRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I use IKEA GU10s in my landing with no issues but your mileage may vary. I have a mix of innr B22 bulbs and garden spotlights, Philips light strips, E27 and GU10s and IKEA GU10s and never have a problem with any of them. Initial installation of the IKEA bulbs can be a bit of an endeavour but they work grand when up and running

Advertisement