Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Thanks but isn’t that for covering over switches? I think a blank plate would be better?

Yes, there are a good few other options on Amazon but most just cover and give access to existing light toggle switches. You also have third party (friends of Hue) switches
    https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/friends-of-hue/switches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I have 3 shelves (vertically above each other) that are a metre long each, so wanted a 1 metre lightstrip under each and had bought connection cables to connect them up the wall.

The strip won't be going 3 metres horizontally, it is 3 x 1m I was looking for.

I've the same set up and bought the 2 x 2m strips to try cover the 3 shelves. Cut to size at the cut mark to find that the spare 1ms are now redundant :(
    THE ALM wrote: »
    Just to note, the new lightstrip will allow cutting and reconnecting of cut pieces

Can you link to these please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

tonc76 wrote: »
    Can you link to these please?

Not sure if available to buy as yet, not far off I would imagine but here are some details

Edit: Here you go

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cross post from the bargains thread:

Anyone have any spare Hue Bridges bought from starter pack deals? Mine is possibly giving up (constantly saying "offline", can't add devices to it), and hue support is pretty much non existent in Ireland.

Alternatively, Anyone had this issue and know what's going on? I first noticed it when Google home would sometimes say it couldn't turn on/off lights because hue couldn't be reached. Also noticed in Home assistant where my motion sensor appeared to be toggling unavailable every minute (this caused my HA automation to assume its Lux value was 0, and thus turn on my outside lights).

Does anyone know if the hue outdoor sensor reports lux like the indoor sensor does?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Does anyone know if the hue outdoor sensor reports lux like the indoor sensor does?

Let me know where you can see lux and ill check for yiu

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Would anyone have a spare hub they are willing to sell?

My folks managed to post theirs back to the alarm company when returning some piece of equipment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Would anyone have a spare hub they are willing to sell?

My folks managed to post theirs back to the alarm company when returning some piece of equipment.

Had a few a few months back (came with cheap bulb starter kits etc). Adverts normally has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Not sure if it helps but there is a sensitivity control for daylight on them within the app which I imagine is using Lux?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

They look like GU10 LED's. I say that because I had the exact same bulbs.

The new Hue GU10 colour bulbs are the same size as the Hue GU10 White Ambiance & White Only bulbs (as in the same size as regular non Hue GU10 bulbs).
    510941.png

The old Hue GU10 colour bulbs were much larger and only fit into certain fitting types.
    510942.png

So if going for colour, you'd be better off getting the newer 'smaller' version

These are the bulbs that I have in the house

What hue bulbs can replace these?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EygAn58zVriL518A6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FazEGWqzwniM5cYi7

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

These are the bulbs that I have in the house

What hue bulbs can replace these?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EygAn58zVriL518A6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FazEGWqzwniM5cYi7

Those are regular GU10 bulbs (220v), so any of the Hue GU10 bulbs will work (with the exception of the original 'bigger' Colour GU10 bulbs).

So;

All Hue White Ambiance GU10 bulbs
    All Hue White only GU10 bulbs
    Newer Hue colour GU10 bulbs (as they are now the same size as the above ones)

Let me know where you can see lux and ill check for yiu
    Not sure if it helps but there is a sensitivity control for daylight on them within the app which I imagine is using Lux?

The app "Hue Essentials" shows me lux values for each of my indoor sensors.

Cross post from the bargains thread:

Anyone have any spare Hue Bridges bought from starter pack deals? Mine is possibly giving up (constantly saying "offline", can't add devices to it), and hue support is pretty much non existent in Ireland.

Alternatively, Anyone had this issue and know what's going on? I first noticed it when Google home would sometimes say it couldn't turn on/off lights because hue couldn't be reached. Also noticed in Home assistant where my motion sensor appeared to be toggling unavailable every minute (this caused my HA automation to assume its Lux value was 0, and thus turn on my outside lights).

For anyone who ends up having this issue, I spent the day debugging this with Hue yesterday. Uninstalling and reinstalling the hue app resolved this for me.

Unfortunately in the process, I tried to delete what I suspected to be a faulty motion sensor (it was not faulty) but with the bridge going offline regularly, the delete likely went bad, and the sensor got into a state where it could not be added to the bridge via the hue app. Many hours later, Hue suggested using a 3rd party app to add the sensor, and I landed upon "Hue Essentials", which added the sensor fine, and once I deleted the sensor via Hue Essentials I could add it via the Hub app.

Hue Essentials gives way more info btw. Battery %, temperature readings, light readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The app "Hue Essentials" shows me lux values for each of my indoor sensors.

i see a lux reading for my outdoor sensor the same as my indoor sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Those are regular GU10 bulbs (220v), so any of the Hue GU10 bulbs will work (with the exception of the original 'bigger' Colour GU10 bulbs).

So;

All Hue White Ambiance GU10 bulbs
    All Hue White only GU10 bulbs
    Newer Hue colour GU10 bulbs (as they are now the same size as the above ones)

Cheers

Existing bulbs held in by clips take it same will go for Hue bulbs?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Cheers

Existing bulbs held in by clips take it same will go for Hue bulbs?

yeah, they are literally a like for like replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭PreCocious

Apologies if already mentioned but there are 1600 lumen Hue bulbs available now. This (for me) was a big gap in the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Intrigued by this smart lighting, 200 page thread!!!

Came across these https://www.did.ie/tcp-smart-wifi-4-led-b22-rgbw-bulbs-strip-lighting-and-socket-bundle-smabun5-smabun6-prd , like the idea of no hub.

Question is, can the light still be turned on/off from the existing switch on the wall? Just thinking can the kids still turn on/off lights via wall switch.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yes but you will have to turn it on manually in order to use the bulbs features

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Intrigued by this smart lighting, 200 page thread!!!

Came across these https://www.did.ie/tcp-smart-wifi-4-led-b22-rgbw-bulbs-strip-lighting-and-socket-bundle-smabun5-smabun6-prd , like the idea of no hub.

Question is, can the light still be turned on/off from the existing switch on the wall? Just thinking can the kids still turn on/off lights via wall switch.

Thanks.

If you have a lot of IOT devices i think when you dont have a hub if you start trying to add more and more of these bulbs they are like individual connections on your network. Very soon you could have an overcrowded network. Ie 15 of these bulbs would be 15 extra connections on your router wherein 15 extra saay hue bulbs with a hub would be only a single extra device on your router. So if you intend to grow your setup a hub would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to link two Nest Bridges. I am installing two outside lights each of which are paired on different bridges. I would like to be able to control them as one room so they have the same scene. Painful doing them separately.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to link two Nest Bridges. I am installing two outside lights each of which are paired on different bridges. I would like to be able to control them as one room so they have the same scene. Painful doing them separately.

Why two bridges? Philips Hue is mesh wireless. If you're having difficulty with signal add more bulbs to improve the coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Didn’t dawn on me! Have been installing hue for a long time. Long bungalow originally two rooms opposite ends of house. Still have a gap in the middle. I will try to add all bulbs to one bridge.

Didn’t dawn on me! Have been installing hue for a long time. Long bungalow originally two rooms opposite ends of house. Still have a gap in the middle. I will try to add all bulbs to one bridge.

Yep add more bulbs to fill the gap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Attempting to replace battery in hue sensor but can't get the little screw out. If I keep at it I'm going to wring it. Any suggestions?

Attempting to replace battery in hue sensor but can't get the little screw out. If I keep at it I'm going to wring it. Any suggestions?

Make sure you're using the correct size mini Phillips. If you've already wrung it and don't have a a screw extractor tool try using a wide rubber band on the head of the screwdriver
    https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/posts/remove-a-stripped-screw

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Use a blade to pull the sides towards you as in the backing plate, pry it towards you as you turn the screw, do not put pressure on the screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Hi all,

I have the wireless dimmer switch and see I can add 5 different settings, however it seems I can only add the setting to 1 light? Is there any way that I can set it up so 1 push of the button activates a bulb, 2nd activates a lightstrip, 3rd turns on both etc?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I have the wireless dimmer switch and see I can add 5 different settings, however it seems I can only add the setting to 1 light? Is there any way that I can set it up so 1 push of the button activates a bulb, 2nd activates a lightstrip, 3rd turns on both etc?

Cheers

Create your own scenes with the lights you want, then add them to the dimmer switch

Advertisement