Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I expected Malta to do a lot better than they did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Don`t know if this has been mentioned already but if anyone believes in omens there are a few for next year from an Irish point of view. Ireland`s first two winning Eurovision entries happened in Holland in years ending with zero. Could Ireland be the winner in 2020? Obviously first of all there will have to be a huge improvement in the quality of the Irish entry.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Don`t know if this has been mentioned already but if anyone believes in omens there are a few for next year from an Irish point of view. Ireland`s first two winning Eurovision entries happened in Holland in years ending with zero. Could Ireland be the winner in 2020? Obviously first of all there will have to be a huge improvement in the quality of the Irish entry.

Well, that omen is about to be broken next year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Now I seem to be in the minority that actually quite liked Austria, and I certainly think their song was better than ours, but still; better for them to be last than us!

I really liked Austria as well and was amazed to see it do so poorly. I actually had that one as sailing through to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Id say Ireland as as much chance of winning next year as the UK has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd say it's about 1000 times more likely that we finish last again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Who knows - by then, maybe the fallout from Brexit will react in our favour! The rest of Europe will be more aware of our existence and will vote for us. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

We came 18th in our semi final!(Last with 16 points).

So overall joint last with the Brits!
    Seriously need to sack whoever decides Ireland's contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    So overall joint last with the Brits!
    Seriously need to sack whoever decides Ireland's contribution.

Who do you want to replace them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Still feel bad for Norway- the juries crucified them!

Delighted I won money on them being Top Nordic country.

Netherlands deserved to win but I wasnt enamoured by the song.

Well done Italy on their 2nd place - I really liked Soldi- it was high up on my Spotify playlist

UK and Germany were awful and deserved their finish as did we, Ireland

Spain probably the hardest done by, last to go, but big party song!

• Advertisement

Brexit nothing to do with UK performance- it was a bad song! Non EU country won the Televote- Norway

Isreal won in 1979 just chose not to host again. The Hague hosted it

Michael Rice reminded me of the time we sent Ryan Dolan. Another hefty pub singer that finished last

• Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Michael Rice reminded me of the time we sent Ryan Dolan. Another hefty pub singer that finished last

At least he got to the final. Five of our six entries after him didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

It could well be, take a look at these facts;

Next year is the 65th Contest Ireland debuted in 1965!

Running Order in last year's final;
    22. Israel 2018 Winner
    23. The Netherlands 2019 Winner
    24. Ireland 2020 Winner?

Israel won 20 years after their last win.
    The Netherlands won 44 years after their last win.
    44 - 20 = 24, Next year will be 24 years since our last win! (1996)

• Registered Users Posts: 72,105 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I totally understand the frustration you Irish must feel about Eurovision.

Just once, I too would love to hear the news ‘Ireland are the bookies favourites to win this year’s Eurovision’, breezing straight through to the final, then going toe-to-toe with say, two other countries on the scoreboard on Saturday night.

Dare to Dream!

Dare to Dream?
    Its over. The money required to promote a very good act around Europe prior to Eurovision Ireland dont have - And would not be willing to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Just realised looking at the results table Serbia and Greece were actually placed quite far down the table. Thought both deserved much better. Certainly both should’ve been above the likes of Slovenia and even Denmark.

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

Just once, I too would love to hear the news ‘Ireland are the bookies favourites to win this year’s Eurovision’, breezing straight through to the final, then going toe-to-toe with say, two other countries on the scoreboard on Saturday night.

Dare to Dream!

The Irish and the Brits for that matter will make a comeback. They just need to come up with a different plan, be much more contemporary and daring. I mean Spain and France haven't won for 50 years and 42 years respectively, so compared to them we're still alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Dare to Dream!

If only.

RTE needs to send something competitive or risky/different. These pleasant but, ultimately, middle of the road songs they keep selecting are just going to be squashed at Eurovision. They should hold a proper National final again, one that is not in the LLS studio. The last time that happened was in 2008, although you could argue that was a joke because Dustin the Turkey was always going to win it.

Ireland's problem in the 21st Century is that we haven't settled on a selection format that works;

2002- 2005 You're A Star
    2006 -2007 Artists internally selected, Song chosen by public on Late Late Show
    2008 NF Held in Limerick, Dustin won.
    2009 - 2015 Eurosong on Late Late Show.
    2016 onwards Internal selections.

Also anytime we have a decent result it is immediately followed by disaster so we haven't been able to gain any momentum;

2003 11th, 2004 24th
    2006 10th, 2007 Last in final
    The Jedward years 8th and 19th, then a last place followed by 4 consecutive NQs.
    2018 16th, 2019 Last in SF, Last overall

We'll have to see how RTE respond to this year's result.

• Advertisement

I think we take the fact that we don't win way too seriously.

After all, 41 countries took part. One country won. So we and 39 others didn't win.
    We had more wins than anyone else and still the whinging goes on if we don't win more.
    You win some, you lose some, and some years we do better than others.

It's the taking part that matters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 tempmailtest mail

^ joint second

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

inthehat wrote: »
    I think we take the fact that we don't win way too seriously.

After all, 41 countries took part. One country won. So we and 39 others didn't win.
    We had more wins than anyone else and still the whinging goes on if we don't win more.
    You win some, you lose some, and some years we do better than others.

It's the taking part that matters.

This is Eurovision not the Olympics. At the very least a respectable result is what matters. Ireland have not had too many of those in the last 20 odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

LordBasil wrote: »
    If only.

RTE needs to send something competitive or risky/different. These pleasant but, ultimately, middle of the road songs they keep selecting are just going to be squashed at Eurovision. They should hold a proper National final again, one that is not in the LLS studio. The last time that happened was in 2008, although you could argue that was a joke because Dustin the Turkey was always going to win it.

Ireland's problem in the 21st Century is that we haven't settled on a selection format that works;

2002- 2005 You're A Star
    2006 -2007 Artists internally selected, Song chosen by public on Late Late Show
    2008 NF Held in Limerick, Dustin won.
    2009 - 2015 Eurosong on Late Late Show.
    2016 onwards Internal selections.

Also anytime we have a decent result it is immediately followed by disaster so we haven't been able to gain any momentum;

2003 11th, 2004 24th
    2006 10th, 2007 Last in final
    The Jedward years 8th and 19th, then a last place followed by 4 consecutive NQs.
    2018 16th, 2019 Last in SF, Last overall

We'll have to see how RTE respond to this year's result.

Rumour has it that there will be a new RTE head of delegation next year and that they are considering a return to the national final (this was already in the pipeline apparently even before the result on Thursday).

Who do you want to replace them?

The format ( and people) need replacing
    Who?, haven't a clue but not who has been involved lately ( whoever they are)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Such negativity from some posters saying that we can't afford to host it and aren't capable of putting on a show!! Of course we can afford it and of course we're capable of doing at least as good as anybody else. That kind of talk did the rounds as well back in the 80's and 90's, yet each time we hosted Eurovision we did a fantastic job. Remember Riverdance?? Never previously had there been such a breath taking interval act.

Success breeds success and failure breeds failure. And we've been stuck in a dismal failure cycle for too long. We need to be reaching the final most, if not every year. We need to be in the top ten most, if not every year. We need to be right up there vying with the top every now and then, be bookies favourite every now and then just like the other successful countries. Take Sweden, who of recent years, is always right up there. If we do that we'll be back in successful mode, back in contention and will eventually win it again.Just like in the highly productive late 80's to late 90's where we pulled off about 5 of our wins and came second to Italy in 1990. Success does breed success though winning nowadays is no easy feat.

Dare to dream? Of course we must and here's hoping for a huge improvement from next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

so Ireland were officially last , that is an appalling result.

acequion wrote: »
    Such negativity from some posters saying that we can't afford to host it and aren't capable of putting on a show!! Of course we can afford it and of course we're capable of doing at least as good as anybody else. That kind of talk did the rounds as well back in the 80's and 90's, yet each time we hosted Eurovision we did a fantastic job. Remember Riverdance?? Never previously had there been such a breath taking interval act.

Success breeds success and failure breeds failure. And we've been stuck in a dismal failure cycle for too long. We need to be reaching the final most, if not every year. We need to be in the top ten most, if not every year. We need to be right up there vying with the top every now and then, be bookies favourite every now and then just like the other successful countries. Take Sweden, who of recent years, is always right up there. If we do that we'll be back in successful mode, back in contention and will eventually win it again.Just like in the highly productive late 80's to late 90's where we pulled off about 5 of our wins and came second to Italy in 1990. Success does breed success though winning nowadays is no easy feat.

Dare to dream? Of course we must and here's hoping for a huge improvement from next year!

yeah, hosting it would be zero problem for RTE.
    RTE revolutionised ESC staging in 1988 and the 90s stagings, especially the one in Millstreet which was top class. Imagine that, they managed a spectacular show and staging in a horse arena in a village.

Not a problem for this country.
    it's just the getting the chance to win is the hard part lately

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

theres no big plan needed. a good song will generally still win the competition. its a good song and a good performer we need. In saying that Norway should have won the competition this year IMO. I had them backed at 28/1. Should have won. That jury vote thing is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I thought Madge did alright...esp the second song, i thought she pulled it off (am i a lone voice in the wilderness for saying that?)

*the interview in the backroom was cringey though pre-rehearsed questions & answers

Advertisement