Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Eymmuroutraged Danu

It was all very hush hush how she got the gig and the song got the nod also? She just appeared and no general explanation how the entry got chosen?
    Obviously who you know in RTE if that is the best they could stoke up.

Apparently we got the lowest votes out of EVERY country in the competition (obviously less voting in semi final of course) but it is pretty damning result.

At least entries from the like of Jedward and Dustin were utter p*sstakes really and just a bit of (awful) craic. But this entry seemed to take itself seriously as a song/artist

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Apparently we got the lowest votes out of EVERY country in the competition (obviously less voting in semi final of course) but it is pretty damning result.

Yup. 16 points. Only three televoting points, and they came from the UK.

Moldova juries gave us 5, and the Italian juries gave us 8 (I'm still trying to figure out that one!)

Next up was Austria (which I actually quite liked) on 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,571 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It was all very hush hush how she got the gig and the song got the nod also? She just appeared and no general explanation how the entry got chosen?
    Obviously who you know in RTE if that is the best they could stoke up.

Graham Norton said on BBC radio this morning that Ireland came 11th in the semi finals. I was going to look up the votes to see if that was correct. Where did you find the results with Ireland being the lowest?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm in love with Lucy,

(had a wet dream about her last night :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

fryup wrote: »
    i'm in love with Lucy,

(had a wet dream about her last night :o)

Well, thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Eymmuroutraged Danu

Graham Norton said on BBC radio this morning that Ireland came 11th in the semi finals. I was going to look up the votes to see if that was correct. Where did you find the results with Ireland being the lowest?

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0519/1050391-eurovision-results-reveal-ireland-finished-last-place/

Well, thanks for sharing.

she is gorgeous though isn't she

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Better source here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Wilberto wrote: »
    Yup. 16 points. Only three televoting points, and they came from the UK.

Moldova juries gave us 5, and the Italian juries gave us 8 (I'm still trying to figure out that one!)

Next up was Austria (which I actually quite liked) on 21.

Italian go for that tranny / drag look which Sarah McTernan had going on.
    I've been to La Bella Paese enough to know what makes the men tick, subtlety isn't their thing, brassy and bold does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Was he being charitable and meant "joint eleventh"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I’m starting to get a hit peed off with the love-in that seems to be going on with the juries and Sweden. To be fair to Sweden, they usually come up with great tunes, and usually deserve their high placing, but i’m sorry, their song this year did not deserve to top the jury vote. It was a generic, middle of the road, dated song, you might’ve heard on the radio in the 90s. It’s only a matter of time before Sweden beat our record, if this is the carry on. Sweden could enter any kind of half decent song, and they’ll be amongst the favourites, because the bookies know how much the juries favour them.
    I usually like Sweden, they do good pop songs, and they “get” Eurovision, but the favouritism is starting to grate.

The Netherlands staging still not great apparently, he just sits at the piano for the entire performance.

does he even play it? he didn't for the encore :confused:

I’m sure he can play the piano, but I’m not sure if they actually play live instruments, or if it’s always a backing track

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nope, no live instruments are played at Eurovision :)

I don't doubt he can play piano though.

backing track? bit of a cheat then? thought all music performed was supposed to be live??

or am i still living in ABBA times?

Nope, no live instruments are played at Eurovision :)

This is what I've heard as well. Any instruments up there are essentially just props as it'd take far too long to set up in between acts otherwise.

Makes sense really, when you think about it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The thing about the political voting is that it doesn’t matter that much because each country that benefits will only get high votes from a few countries. Like Greece —> Cyprus and Cyprus —> Greece. Maybe Malta in there too. That not enough to win the show. When Ireland had all their ‘90s victories, that kind of neighbourly voting went on too. The cream rises to the top regardless. If the countries who get a handful of political votes aren’t good enough otherwise, the benefit is minimal.

The think about the political voting is that it doesn’t matter that much because each country that benefits will only get high votes from a few countries. Like Greece —> Cyprus and Cyprus —> Greece. Maybe Malta in there too. That not enough to win the show. When Ireland had all their ‘90s victories, that kind of neighbourly voting went on too. The cream rises to the top regardless. If the countries who get a handful of political votes aren’t good enough otherwise, the benefit is minimal.

This was always my argument as well. The best song usually does end up winning at the end.

I still just can't get my head around Norway. I mean, in both the Semi Final and the Final, the difference between the public vote and the jurors was massive. I can't see how there can be that much of a discrepancy between the two. I know the technical issues they had were mentioned, but that doesn't explain the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

RTE news said Ireland actually came last in the semi ,didn't think it was to bad a tune myself.

backing track? bit of a cheat then? thought all music performed was supposed to be live??

or am i still living in ABBA times?

Yep, that went with the conductors. I used to love them showing the conductors at the beginning of the song, and them giving the camera a wave. Gave the whole thing a bit of gravitas

• Advertisement

The think about the political voting is that it doesn’t matter that much because each country that benefits will only get high votes from a few countries. Like Greece —> Cyprus and Cyprus —> Greece. Maybe Malta in there too. That not enough to win the show. When Ireland had all their ‘90s victories, that kind of neighbourly voting went on too. The cream rises to the top regardless. If the countries who get a handful of political votes aren’t good enough otherwise, the benefit is minimal.

Yep, anyone that says it’s just all neighbours voting for each other, and that Ireland could never win it, really doesn’t know Eurovision. Things did go that way a bit around the time all the Eastern European countries started entering, but for the past 15 years or so, the best song on the night usually has won out

Just rewatched Eimear Quinn’s performance on Youtube. In fairness, the music is beautiful but, 23 years later, I still hate her voice. :D But it was still a distinctive song. But agree with whoever said that, had there been televoting then, Gina G would have won instead of coming eighth. I think she deserved a higher placing than that even just from the juries!

Any Eurovision nerds know, wasn’t this the year that prompted the inclusion of public voting? Was Eimear Quinn an unpopular winner? Or was it just people were becoming fed up of Ireland winning and it wasn’t personally about her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Europeans really don't care about Eurovision I thought they were mad for it. Literally nobody cares how does it get such high viewing figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The song was rubbish in fairness, that's no criticizm of Sarah either as there is only so much a singer can do when the material they have to work with is so bad.

To be honest she was as bad as the song. Was like a drunken karaoke effort from someone on a hen weekend. Honestly our entry was worst of the 41 and fully deserved to finish where it did.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Europeans really don't care about Eurovision I thought they were mad for it. Literally nobody cares how does it get such high viewing figures.

Traditional Europe doesn’t care about it so much, but ‘new’ Europe cares about it a lot.

I lived in Lithuania for over a year, and they are big into it. They still have X-Factor style shows to determine who represents them each year, and I’d imagine most countries out that way are similar. It’s headline news the week of the contest.

When I was there it was being shown open air in the main square on a big fcuk off screen, and there were well over a 2,000 people there watching it (this was when Jedward represented us the 1st time).

There are countries out there that would be desperate to win it for the publicity it would give them alone.

The camp factor and the voting. It’s really good fun to watch with friends, laughing at the inevitable funny bits that happen throughout the night. And, honestly, it’s just a great idiosyncrasy. A bit cheesy and crap but fascinating all the same. Nobody should take it too seriously and I don’t think anyone really does.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,082 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So we came last, eh?

Does anyone know how much this annual charade is costing us?

Who funds it?

Time to knock it on the head methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The thing about the political voting is that it doesn’t matter that much because each country that benefits will only get high votes from a few countries. Like Greece —> Cyprus and Cyprus —> Greece. Maybe Malta in there too. That not enough to win the show. When Ireland had all their ‘90s victories, that kind of neighbourly voting went on too. The cream rises to the top regardless. If the countries who get a handful of political votes aren’t good enough otherwise, the benefit is minimal.

Political or neighbourly voting doesn't work too well if you're out on the margins of Europe, so that works against Irl and UK. What neighbouring countries are going to vote for Ireland, the Brits and that's about it?
    NIMAN wrote: »
    So we came last, eh?

Does anyone know how much this annual charade is costing us?

Who funds it?

Time to knock it on the head methinks.

Ah I don't know, it's a bit of a laugh. We need to play to our strengths and give the other European voters a dose of the stereotypical cliched views of us. Drunken paddies, up for the craic, cailíns in nice short dresses showing a bit of leg and bosom. That'd get us a few votes but RTE would be incapable of trying something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Rock and Roll kids was a fantastic time. We should go back to basics. This year's entry was absolutely dire and so bland beyond belief. The song itself made no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

The Irish girl was really popular in Tel Aviv among the other contestants and on the Eurovision circuit in general. She had some personality to her.

If she'd been given an actual decent song and more support, she'd have done well on the promotional tour and thus come into Eurovision with more hype. As it was, the hype around her song was mainly how badly it was going to flop. Same with the German girls.

Advertisement