Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    You can come with us sure. :D Has anyone here ever actually gone to this? How do you even get tickets? Is there a lottery or something?

I don't know how it works now but back in 1993 when the Eurovision took place in Millstreet, which is not a million miles away from where I live, I tried to get tickets for the contest. However they were very scarce and those that were available were crazily priced for the time so I decided **** it and watched it on television.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I like that previous Eurovision winners/acts appeared and performed at the final. Måns also appeared during one of the semi finals (Netta can just do one at this stage though!) It just goes to show that if you do well at Eurovision, you’re not just forgotten about. That, combined with social media, can be a great way to get your name out there. Hopefully more young artists might be attracted to this

I also liked how they all performed another performer/winner's song in their own style. Mans did a really good ballad version of Fuego.

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

I also liked how they all performed another performer/winner's song in their own style. Mans did a really good ballad version of Fuego.

Yeah, was one of the highlights. Nice of Israeli Eurovision team to invite Eleni back after she came second to Netta. Maybe that could become a tradition to bring the second place act back the following year. Seems like a nice gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I don't know how it works now but back in 1993 when the Eurovision took place in Millstreet, which is not a million miles away from where I live, I tried to get tickets for the contest. However they were very scarce and those that were available were crazily priced for the time so I decided **** it and watched it on television.

I was at Irelands semi last year and the jury final. Great fun. Didnt get tickets to actually final- gold dust!

Loving Italy today. He was top in one of my early votes!

The female singer from the band just liked my tweet replying to the one above!

• Advertisement

I take it Norway won our boards Eurovision?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

lbc2019 wrote: »

Macedonia now the winners of the jury vote, whilst Israel got a big fat zero. We went many years without seeing nul points but we've seen quite a few in recent times.

The UK have lost five of their sixteen points, so Ireland are no longer last overall :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Jesus, that's a big blunder on Eurovision's part.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

So basically, it wasn't enough to rob Norway out of the win, now they take away their top five finish too just to rub salt into the wound. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

I think this pair would do well at ESC with something fresh and some slick staging to go with it. They would need an instantly catchy song and I think they could be an appealing act:

Macedonia now the winners of the jury vote, whilst Israel got a big fat zero. We went many years without seeing nul points but we've seen quite a few in recent times.

The UK have lost five of their sixteen points, so Ireland are no longer last overall :cool:

In reality it wasnt a nul points for anyone as Isreal got Televotes and Germany got Jury votes...????why??? Unfair on Isreal I think

We wouldnt have got to see Swedish guys disappointment lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

And another quirky little song and a good voice. Sorry, I'm having too much fun with this, would love to be the one selecting the Irish entry :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Could you imagine a world where Hozier was selected to represent Ireland, and dropped Take me to Church at the Eurovision.
    It's not catchy enough to stand out.

There were 41 entries this year. Slovakia, Turkey , Ukraine, Bulgaria , Luxembourg Monica, Bosnia & Herzegovina, and Morocco didn't enter.

Giving nearly 50 songs a second or third chance to make a first impression, ain't nobody got time for that. And there's lots of people who like to hear the song for the first time on the night.

Hozier would win with jury but I feel that sob stories are starting to too. It'll be like x-factor soon. (
    https://eurovision.tv/event/tel-aviv-2019/grand-final/results/ireland

1 point to Spain from the juries??? And it was Russia!

Norway's Jury/Televote swing was +/-251!

North Macedonia (189) Sweden (148) Czech Republic (143) and Azerbaijan (102) received a higher vote difference by the jurys whereas
    Russia (-118) Iceland (-148) and Norway (-251) were less favoured by them.

tenor.gif

Juries to Norway

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The person responsible for the voting errors!
    P0jYtna0_400x400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

That is a total farce about the Belarussian jury mix up. North Macedonia were robbed of the glory of winning the jury vote.

Really looking forward to Eurovision next year in The Netherlands. I'll try to go if I can. At least next's year's contestants won't receive abuse on social media about Israel, Palestine and BDS and hopefully Ireland can get some established artists to put themselves forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This song has grown on me...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

There's apparently been another voting mess up. This time with the Italian televote, which, if true, put Denmark in the final over Lithuania.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Time to scrap the tele-voting and revert back to jury voting.

It'll never happen though as the TV companies probably make far too much cash from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Time to scrap the tele-voting and revert back to jury voting.

It'll never happen though as the TV companies probably make far too much cash from it.
    There was also an issue with the Swedish jury vote so not sure that would fix anything.

To be honest I like the way it is now it maintains the tension right til the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

gmisk wrote: »
    There was also an issue with the Swedish jury vote so not sure that would fix anything.

To be honest I like the way it is now it maintains the tension right til the end.

I also seems to balance out this neighbour voting crap where you can nearly predict who every country is going to vote for before they vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

It's fine as it is voting wise to get an overall winner. It is very disconcerting after they've drawn out the jury votes for so long and then in the space of 5 minutes a litany of points are awarded to each country. They didn't actually explain what was happening either for a casual viewer i.e We will now present the collective and combined amount of points from all 41 countries to each country, leaving casual viewers thinking "WTF is going on?"

Still loving Soldi

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Still loving Soldi

I'm still listening too but I'm a bit disappointed the claps aren't as pronounced on the studio version :D:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

valoren wrote: »
    It's fine as it is voting wise to get an overall winner. It is very disconcerting after they've drawn out the jury votes for so long and then in the space of 5 minutes a litany of points are awarded to each country. They didn't actually explain what was happening either for a casual viewer i.e We will now present the collective and combined amount of points from all 41 countries to each country, leaving casual viewers thinking "WTF is going on?"

I'm a casual viewer, didn't know what was coming up, but understood what was happening when they explained it tbf.

Advertisement