Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

How's lambs doing in the fields for yous? Thankfully doing well here no losses since lambs went till the fields noticed 1 other ewe weeded on 1 side since she went out. Lambs doing well have them all dosed none are dirty missed tailing 1 lamb or it broke as I tell the aul fella. More Fertiliser going on here Saturday grass coming well hoping till have silage lifted and good after grass for mid June for weaning the lambs. Anybody use turbo sheep on lambs? Or what do you give them at weaning time mineral wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Lambman wrote: »
    PARAKILL
    0 WITHDRAWAL ON MILK&MEAT
    Oral drench with 12 week protection
    Kills all worms and worm eggs
    Kills all fluke mature and immature
    Kills cocci
    Kills ringworm on contact
    Kills/manage itch,ticks and flead
    Totally safe and natural product
    Dosing rate- 1ml per 10kg bodyweight
    Anybody ever use this came up on an ad on my Facebook.
    Did you ever try it Lambman?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

How's lambs doing in the fields for yous? Thankfully doing well here no losses since lambs went till the fields noticed 1 other ewe weeded on 1 side since she went out. Lambs doing well have them all dosed none are dirty missed tailing 1 lamb or it broke as I tell the aul fella. More Fertiliser going on here Saturday grass coming well hoping till have silage lifted and good after grass for mid June for weaning the lambs. Anybody use turbo sheep on lambs? Or what do you give them at weaning time mineral wise.

Very happy with thrive this yr. Anything about the fields, doing very well. Have a wee out break of scald in a few is my only trouble so far.

Never did 390kid sounds too good till be true interested till hear from anyone who has used it though. Ardmc are you weighing lambs regularly or just guessing thrive by looking at them? Weighed mines when I was giving them there first dose will weigh again when getting second dose that's it then no more weighing till there ready for factory. Any lambs not thriving during this period is the ewes fault so a few could be marked for the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

lambs have done unbeliveable this year, a good 10 days ahead in terms of thrive id say, and there was very little nuts fed to ewes post lambing so thats another thing ahead of other years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

What weights are mid March on lambs at now ?

Yea same as that I tried till keep costs down this year fed alot less meal prep lambing and once ewes and lambs went till grass no feeding at all have also cut back about 80% on mineral and feed buckets over the course of the year. There handy but there expensive! Mid March born lambs on average over singles and doubles on good grass should be between 24-28kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Never did 390kid sounds too good till be true interested till hear from anyone who has used it though. Ardmc are you weighing lambs regularly or just guessing thrive by looking at them? Weighed mines when I was giving them there first dose will weigh again when getting second dose that's it then no more weighing till there ready for factory. Any lambs not thriving during this period is the ewes fault so a few could be marked for the hook.

Just by looking at them Lambman. All horned lambs born in April. So time enough till dust of the weighing scales in October!!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I have a lamb 6 weeks old with what I suspect is joint ill on one leg. It's still thriving though . Is there anything I can do to treat it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

Looking to order tags but need them by wednesday so would want them delivered Tuesday, any of the tag companies offer next day delivery or did I leave it too late?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

DJ98 wrote: »
    Looking to order tags but need them by wednesday so would want them delivered Tuesday, any of the tag companies offer next day delivery or did I leave it too late?

Cormac would be your best bet, I'd say. Sign up and order today and ring them first thing in the morning, anyone I've heard talking about them has said they are very good in cases like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

How many lambs (40 kg) or ewes would a 8 x 4 trailer hold approximatley? Would you get 10 lambs into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

DJ98 wrote: »
    How many lambs (40 kg) or ewes would a 8 x 4 trailer hold approximatley? Would you get 10 lambs into it?

Yes you would fit 10 lambs no bother and probably 12 even if they were 46/47kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Bit about feeding lambs specific foods to make em high in omega3...

Interesting idea... anyone know if teagasc or anyone are looking at meat from this angle?

https://www.farmireland.ie/news/world-news/omega-lambs-and-fitbit-cows-new-zealand-responds-to-alternative-protein-threat-38125125.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Lambs are thriving well and there’s been less spent on meal thus far but the bastardized processors have noticed and have said yup I’ll have that in my pocket thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Willfarman wrote: »
    Lambs are thriving well and there’s been less spent on meal thus far but the bastardized processors have noticed and have said yup I’ll have that in my pocket thank you!

The competition authority are looking at the insurance sector atm. I wonder if they’ll have a look at the large meat processors, just to reassure the average farmer, that the market is functioning correctly and that prices are arrived at in a clear and fair manner.

Separately, I read theres a picket on icm today and there’s a write up in the farming indo on it, well done ICSA !!! Great to see somebody trying to stand up for the small sheep farmer !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The competition authority are looking at the insurance sector atm. I wonder if they’ll have a look at the large meat processors, just to reassure the average farmer, that the market is functioning correctly and that prices are arrived at in a clear and fair manner.

Separately, I read theres a picket on icm today and there’s a write up in the farming indo on it, well done ISCA !!! Great to see somebody trying to stand up for the small sheep farmer !!!

It really is a pointless exercise, Processors have never raised prices while protests are ongoing

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Young95

What sort of net margin are you folks making per ewe annually putting last year behind cuz of such a bad year 😅

Young95 wrote: »
    What sort of net margin are you folks making per ewe annually putting last year behind cuz of such a bad year 😅

I used to be all for sharing such information, but now I don’t think it should be given out so freely on an open forum...
    You wouldn’t expect an answer if you asked a lad in the pub how much he gets paid... ;)

Teagasc have reports which should provide some useful info...
    https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2018/teagasc-national-farm-survey-results-2017.php

Or... maybe I’m just getting crankier and more cantankerous as I get older... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Separately, I read theres a picket on icm today and there’s a write up in the farming indo on it, well done ISCA !!! Great to see somebody trying to stand up for the small sheep farmer !!!

Too right - this government has let cartels and vested interests run riot across the economy with the small man being hammered at every turn

• Advertisement

I used to be all for sharing such information, but now I don’t think it should be given out so freely on an open forum...
    You wouldn’t expect an answer if you asked a lad in the pub how much he gets paid... ;)

Teagasc have reports which should provide some useful info...
    https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2018/teagasc-national-farm-survey-results-2017.php

Or... maybe I’m just getting crankier and more cantankerous as I get older... :)

yes completely understand but I do think we sheep farmers need to be more like are diary friends who are more open bout finances if we sheep farmers want to become more business minded and driven 🙂

yes completely understand but I do think we sheep farmers need to be more like are diary friends who are more open bout finances if we sheep farmers want to become more business minded and driven 🙂

I agree, and I think sharing information like that is excellent - but only in a private group, not put up for public consumption...

None off us would be at it only for the cheque in the post. I'd say some British farmers are fair sweating about leaving Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

What sort of net margin are you folks making per ewe annually putting last year behind cuz of such a bad year ��

Im clearing €27 a lamb which works out at €38 a ewe.

I am consistently scanning 1.8 to 1.9 lambs per ewe joined, keeping mortality under 10% from scan to sale so I have roughly 1.65 lambs weaned then i take out 0.25 of a lamb per ewe for replacements so that is me back to 1.4 lambs to sell @ €27 net profit a lamb leaves me with a NP of €38 a ewe......

thats with all lambs off grass and a doing things as well as i can so it's frightening to think I would need a 1000 ewes to get a wage from it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

roosky wrote: »

!

Quotes back €1 a kilo on hoggets and springs in a matter of a little over two weeks, so there’s nearly all your €27 gone.

Quotes back €1 a kilo on hoggets and springs in a matter of a little over two weeks, so there’s nearly all your €27 gone.

Im lambing march 20th onwards so the price has always settled nice and low by the time i am selling but although its low there is less variation year to year so i just know i have to do lambs off grass or cant make money and also need very little meal to ewes to make it work

I am consistently scanning 1.8 to 1.9 lambs per ewe joined, keeping mortality under 10% from scan to sale so I have roughly 1.65 lambs weaned then i take out 0.25 of a lamb per ewe for replacements so that is me back to 1.4 lambs to sell @ €27 net profit a lamb leaves me with a NP of €38 a ewe......

thats with all lambs off grass and a doing things as well as i can so it's frightening to think I would need a 1000 ewes to get a wage from it !!!
    Thanks for your honesty but I see the crowd in Athenry r making 40 euro a lamb so they say but there again there fix cost arnt real if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea, €40-50/ewe is about what ours hovered around for the last ten years before we destocked

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, €40-50/ewe is about what ours hovered around for the last ten years before we destocked

If i was up at your flock size wrangler and had your economies of scale im sure id push them into the €40 a ewe :D:D

• Advertisement

Thanks for your honesty but I see the crowd in Athenry r making 40 euro a lamb so they say but there again there fix cost arnt real if that makes sense

where was that figure quoted, never seen it that high from Teagasc always through it was in or around the €30 mark

Advertisement