Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

arctictree wrote: »
    Going to spray the ewes this evening. I notice a good few with big cuts on them where they are scratching and surrounded by flies. Same with some of the weaned ewes with sores on their udders. Weather can't help either.

Weaned the rest of the lambs yesterday. Born in april. Probably still need ewes but grass is kind of gone so its as well off for the lambs rsther than ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Have a 2 year old polled dorset ram here not a breed i know much about and wasnt a planned purchase, bought as ram lamb to get me out of a hobble after a mature ch ram got hurt out with the ewes. Had him with 8 early ewes and they were very hardy and well covered were outside during all the snow and had impressive kill outs def matched charollais. Had main bunch of sheep in yesterday to weigh lambs and this lads lambs are probably thriving the best in this heat they are mud fat off grass. Anyone use them before and how did you find them and what are the ewe lambs like as replacements?
    Has mostly being charollais used here the last number of years but only 1 being kept here next year to use on the ewe lambs cause there was too many loses after them in the poor spring weather. One vendeen bought already and have 2 nice texel hoogets i bought last year as ram lambs will keep one and sell other. Would def consider another dorest aswell as seem a good all round sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Have a 2 year old polled dorset ram here not a breed i know much about and wasnt a planned purchase, bought as ram lamb to get me out of a hobble after a mature ch ram got hurt out with the ewes. Had him with 8 early ewes and they were very hardy and well covered were outside during all the snow and had impressive kill outs def matched charollais. Had main bunch of sheep in yesterday to weigh lambs and this lads lambs are probably thriving the best in this heat they are mud fat off grass. Anyone use them before and how did you find them and what are the ewe lambs like as replacements?
    Has mostly being charollais used here the last number of years but only 1 being kept here next year to use on the ewe lambs cause there was too many loses after them in the poor spring weather. One vendeen bought already and have 2 nice texel hoogets i bought last year as ram lambs will keep one and sell other. Would def consider another dorest aswell as seem a good all round sheep
    I had a Polled Dorset here for a few years. Good lambs thrown by him but I felt he was lacking in the hind quarters. Hardy lambs though, as you said, and easily finished. Very good out of season breeders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭DJ98

I had a Polled Dorset here for a few years. Good lambs thrown by him but I felt he was lacking in the hind quarters. Hardy lambs though, as you said, and easily finished. Very good out of season breeders too.

Is there a big difference in the polled and horned other than the obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

DJ98 wrote: »
    None as far as I know, just different strains of the breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

DJ98 wrote: »
    None as far as I know, just different strains of the breed.
    I tried them both. The polled Dorset are lovely sheep. Good long thick lambs. They thrive very well. The horned Dorset’s are a poorer sheep imo. They don’t grow as well I haven’t kept many as replacements only a few Jacob X so can’t judge them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nick100

Cran wrote: »
    Needs department to go electronic for that to happen, and official stance is no plans for that.

I was talking to the girl from Cormac Tags at Sheep18 and she was selling wands and small printer and said that if a farmer has these that he/she can scan the bunch of lamns with the wand and then print the taglist with the wireless printer and just clip the printout to the dispatch docket at the mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nick100 wrote: »
    I was talking to the girl from Cormac Tags at Sheep18 and she was selling wands and small printer and said that if a farmer has these that he/she can scan the bunch of lamns with the wand and then print the taglist with the wireless printer and just clip the printout to the dispatch docket at the mart.

Did the dept, the marts and factories say they'll accept them like that?

ganmo wrote: »

I didn't ask them ganmo. I'll ring a mart now for the craic.

ganmo wrote: »

Your right ganmo,
    Rang Mart, they won't accept a printout now but expect that when EID is made mandatory they will. They themselves will be then using wands to read your batch of sheep and creating their intake dockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Cran

When eid comes in you wouldn’t need to fill in the numbers of the lambs in your dispatch docket. The factories and marts will scan you lambs and provide a printed list back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭arctictree

When eid comes in you wouldn’t need to fill in the numbers of the lambs in your dispatch docket. The factories and marts will scan you lambs and provide a printed list back to you.

Theoretically, should you even need a dispatch docket? Could the IT systems not handle all this automatically?

arctictree wrote: »
    Theoretically, should you even need a dispatch docket? Could the IT systems not handle all this automatically?

Asked that and answer is no plan to update dept system, we re the only ones that eid will cost anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Asked that and answer is no plan to update dept system, we re the only ones that eid will cost anything.

lucky us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Any idea on how much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

So will a Mart worker stand in pen of 20 lambs and wave the wand around to read them?.....what happens if a few lambs have heads down?....and don’t get read?

So will a Mart worker stand in pen of 20 lambs and wave the wand around to read them?.....what happens if a few lambs have heads down?....and don’t get read?

Yes that’s what I was told by ministers office, they will scan and provide print outs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

we use a reader here, if there's twenty in a pen you just keep moving the reader until you get twenty numbers.
    It has to be nearly touching the ears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What's the latest anybody has lambed sheep? If u didn't lamb till may/June the ewes would need very little feeding all winter and there would be good grass for them coming till lambing again saving feeding... The lambs would be weaned for the grass after the silage and run them all winter till the following janruary when there's big money for them??? Years like this make u think about it... Pros and cons??

PARAKILL
    0 WITHDRAWAL ON MILK&MEAT
    Oral drench with 12 week protection
    Kills all worms and worm eggs
    Kills all fluke mature and immature
    Kills cocci
    Kills ringworm on contact
    Kills/manage itch,ticks and flead
    Totally safe and natural product
    Dosing rate- 1ml per 10kg bodyweight
    Anybody ever use this came up on an ad on my Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Lambman wrote: »
    What's the latest anybody has lambed sheep? If u didn't lamb till may/June the ewes would need very little feeding all winter and there would be good grass for them coming till lambing again saving feeding... The lambs would be weaned for the grass after the silage and run them all winter till the following janruary when there's big money for them??? Years like this make u think about it... Pros and cons??

I was only thinking about this a few weeks ago.
    Our main problem to that would be winter feeding. We wouldn't have the grass to keep the ewes in good condition for mating (January/february) and finish lambs. I'd imagine weight gain would be significantly reduced in winter, using a lot of energy to keep warm. So feeling would be needed.
    Then there's the risk of a bad winter. We wouldn't have housing for both ewes and lambs. If you leave lambs out you will have a major problem with dirty lambs and I'm sure there would be some sent back.
    I was wondering would they be considered hoggots in the factory? Not much of a difference in price around that time, just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone sending their wool up to ulster, the wool board seems to be paying that bit better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Anyone sending their wool up to ulster, the wool board seems to be paying that bit better ?

Wonder would it be worth looking into, iv this years and last years to sell

I read into it all your wool is graded by master graders into 100 different grades then baled and sent till England till for auction... on average there paying 60p per kg.... would cost a lot till haul wool as its bulky so would it really be worth it... and sheepfarmer last year's wool would grade bad as they want fresh oily wool so till me the local merchant lifting it off the street is still best option.

Lambman wrote: »
    I read into it all your wool is graded by master graders into 100 different grades then baled and sent till England till for auction... on average there paying 60p per kg.... would cost a lot till haul wool as its bulky so would it really be worth it... and sheepfarmer last year's wool would grade bad as they want fresh oily wool so till me the local merchant lifting it off the street is still best option.
    That what i was thinking alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Does the wool board even accept wool from non NI farmers? I don't even sell my wool to the ulster wool board as they have a ridiculous system of paying you only half of the payment in the first year and then the remainder a year later. I understand their reasoning for doing so, but with the low value of the wool you would never even notice the payment coming in the second year. Better to sell to some of the southern buyers and get paid on the day. I got 55p/kg from Texacloth for mule wool from them in June and the Board were saying they would pay about 50p/kg for the same wool.
    To try and entice more people to sell their wool to the board, this year they have started to pay "new entrants" full payment for the first two seasons and then revert to paying it over two years after this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Does the wool board even accept wool from non NI farmers? I got 55p/kg from Texacloth for mule wool from them in June and the Board were saying they would pay about 50p/kg for the same wool.

They were on the farming indo, saying they’ve loads of demand from Chinese carpet buyers and are looking for extra supplies from down south. I’m too far away, but their offering an alternative to the traditional wool merchant, which is creating competition. Wool Prices appear to be at least 10c a kg higher in the north and England then down south.

Feck it, what it would cost to transport it up there the good would be gone out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

I am running out of slaughter tags for the lambs, should I order EID tags giving the proposed change?

Is it proposed or is the change set in stone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Anyone know where I can buy sponges for sheep online, my vet doesn't sell them

Advertisement