Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Often have people asking would I know why a ewe/cows lambs/calves died and when I question them they will remark how they found them dead at a similar stage the previous year! So I tend to say they’re will be enough problems without keeping problems! Some of these problems at a few weeks can go back to poor colostrum etc.

I remember a hogget that lay on her lamb in a big lambing pen one year. It was put down to bad luck and she was ran on until the following year. The same ewe had twins the next year and lay on them both the first night, I'm convinced she smothered them on purpose rather than rear them. Lesson learned, they rear at least one lamb annually or out the gate and I've since changed to lambing later and outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

390kid wrote: »
    Lamb here born a week now is after losing power in both his back legs? Got off to a troubled start but is flying on the bottle and still is but can’t stand on his back legs? Any solution or idea to fix it or at least wat caused it?

Did you check his navel for an infection, or it could be infection like joint ill but in the spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

wrangler wrote: »
    Did you check his navel for an infection, or it could be infection like joint ill but in the spine.

Ye I did no infection in the navel got lame on one leg first then 3 days later he was down. Loads a power in the front legs and when he’s lifted up off the ground on the back he moves on with the front legs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

390kid wrote: »

Ye I did no infection in the navel got lame on one leg first then 3 days later he was down. Loads a power in the front legs and when he’s lifted up off the ground on the back he moves on with the front legs

Might it be swayback and a shot of copper might help?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Paralysis or pinched nerve i think

• Advertisement

We're only guessing really, I'd be going to a vet

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

We're only guessing really, I'd be going to a vet

Ye I think I’ll do the run later on with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone use growvite lamb or lamb thrive mineral drenches, do they have a positive effect on the lambs?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone use growvite lamb or lamb thrive mineral drenches, do they have a positive effect on the lambs?

We find that mixing cobalt sulphate with the first worm dose at 5 or six weeks of age gives a good kick for the lambs.
    We give animax to them at ten weeks and don't have to worry about it after then.
    Cobalt is deficient in our land and no matter how much cobalt is in the drench it'll only last a fortnight, the lambs can't store it..... the animax bolus is supposed to be slow release over three or four months

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

DJ98 wrote: »

I mix cobalt b12 50/50 with water and spray onto meal with knapsack
    They get what they need everyday
    Lambs would pine here after August without it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

I mix cobalt b12 50/50 with water and spray onto meal with knapsack
    They get what they need everyday
    Lambs would pine here after August without it

Very interesting. How exactly do you do it? Do you creep feed. How much would you spray on.

Hearing good things about the glass boulous. Anyone use them?

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Very interesting. How exactly do you do it? Do you creep feed. How much would you spray on.

Hearing good things about the glass boulous. Anyone use them?

Just spray on while filling buckets out of bin, give them the equivalent of a full dose every 2 weeks, no don’t creep this would be meal fed after weaning
    Find it handier than dosing lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

what do you do with the poor eaters?

ganmo wrote: »
    what do you do with the poor eaters?

Nothing, they might be getting less alright especially when group is large but no noticeable difference in thrive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

We give the lambs the mayo cobalt bolus and find them very good and easy to give and can notice in the lambs when they run out. We are low cobalt and need to keep them topped up and later in the year the late and replacements get the 4 in 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

We give the lambs the mayo cobalt bolus and find them very good and easy to give and can notice in the lambs when they run out. We are low cobalt and need to keep them topped up and later in the year the late and replacements get the 4 in 1.

Like you, we are low in cobalt.

I give bough in hog the Ewe 4in1, and I find it very good. The only issue I had was they had to be ~40kg minimum, which meant they had a while on our place before they were heavy enough

This year, I plan on giving them the lamb 4in1 as soon as they arrive.

After how long would you see the lambs need another bolus - I know they state 6 months, but I dont believe that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Like you, we are low in cobalt.

I give bough in hog the Ewe 4in1, and I find it very good. The only issue I had was they had to be ~40kg minimum, which meant they had a while on our place before they were heavy enough

This year, I plan on giving them the lamb 4in1 as soon as they arrive.

After how long would you see the lambs need another bolus - I know they state 6 months, but I dont believe that...

It all depends on the year, have seen at four months and three years ago 3 months. The bloom goes off the lambs and the fleece looks dry and back in the ditches. We bolus again and drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, just had a Hogget prolapse about a week after lambing. She didn't prolapse before lambing. Anyone ever have this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, just had a Hogget prolapse about a week after lambing. She didn't prolapse before lambing. Anyone ever have this before?

Have had ewe or two do it over the years.....got them back in and put on a harness till they settled down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What's the earliest you might expect to see weaned lambs for sale in marts?

Need a dozen lambs to graze around house

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    What's the earliest you might expect to see weaned lambs for sale in marts?

Need a dozen lambs to graze around house

Most Feb and March lambs would be finished for factory/butcher at home but there might be a few stores around mid-July.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Country lad

Always sell store lambs here end of July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Clipped all my replacement hoggets on Saturday and give them a mineral dose there in good order very easy clipped thankfully. Happy with last year's mules turned out good long sheep. Going clipping the rams later today see 1 off the texels coughing a good bit he would off got levafas diamond for last dose around last week a January shouldn't need done again he's 2 year old and on dry ground.

Was out looking at the hoggets last night, and I saw this in the grass...

Are they tapeworm eggs, or little tapeworms or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Tapeworms. Usually not a issue but I’d be dosing with something cheap like tramazole to get rid

Was out looking at the hoggets last night, and I saw this in the grass...

Are they tapeworm eggs, or little tapeworms or what?

Have you dogs, undosed dogs will keep them infected, we never have tapeworm but I saw a PM done on a ewe that had a mass of them in her, some could be a foot long

razor8 wrote: »
    Tapeworms. Usually not a issue but I’d be dosing with something cheap like tramazole to get rid

Would you dose them, when they are hoggets?
    I wasn’t planning on dosing then to be honest...

Have you dogs, undosed dogs will keep them infected, we never have tapeworm but I saw a PM done on a ewe that had a mass of them in her, some could be a foot long

No dogs here Wrangler...

But, we would have often had tapeworms here before, I thought they were more a lamb thing than an adult sheep though... seems I was wrong tho, if you saw them in a ewe...

No dogs here Wrangler...

But, we would have often had tapeworms here before, I thought they were more a lamb thing than an adult sheep though... seems I was wrong tho, if you saw them in a ewe...

Could've been a hogget too, a big sheep anyway. the advice is that they're no harm but like Razor I think dose them anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Would you dose them, when they are hoggets?
    I wasn’t planning on dosing then to be honest...

Hard without seeing them, are they lacking flesh, mucky backends? What was there dosing routine as lambs. Eg white drench, clear?

Advertisement