Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Heard that Anton O'Toole, the man that inspired arguably the greatest poem of all time died earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Heard that Anton O'Toole, the man that inspired arguably the greatest poem of all time died earlier today.

Dublin's fair jewel :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Hopefully the "Fair View" will get an airing this summer. They were quality.

Remember a while back, probably a good while at this stage, they were asking people to send in suggestions for a unique venue to record a pod in? Did anything ever come of that or was it dropped completely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Remember a while back, probably a good while at this stage, they were asking people to send in suggestions for a unique venue to record a pod in? Did anything ever come of that or was it dropped completely?

Yeah that was about a year ago and it just went nowhere. Not s surprise there aren't many logical venues outside traditional venues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Haven't listened to todays yet but this line in Ken's Irish Times piece about Guardiola after City went 6-0 up had me laughing hysterically:

'Pep looked less like a happy football coach watching his side make history and more like an anguished scientist whose prototype civil defence robot has just run amok at a trade show, slaughtering several bystanders'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Enjoyed the David O' Doherty pod.

Obviously he must be chummy with the boys, because he said a few things that Ken had said in previous shows - one that springs to mind is Poch being like a giant baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Arghus wrote: »

Obviously he must be chummy with the boys, because he said a few things that Ken had said in previous shows - one that springs to mind is Poch being like a giant baby.

Yeah he featured in the annuals when they used to do them too.

Anyone else find that Chelsea fella today a bit of an arse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Can Mbappé & Bamford play together...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Can Mbappé & Bamford play together...

That was very funny

I've just realised US Murph's radio show starts at 2pm over here.

I'm sure you can stream it on KNBR's website, I'm listening on the Tune In Radio app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Does anyone have a link to the video of the Liverpool data analytics guy Ken was on about? I know there was a NYT article but he mentioned some 20 minute presentation that one of them gave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Arghus wrote: »

I liked that ken send him a whatsapp with advance warning about naming his top 5 players, but it still had grey ticks beside it as he arrived into the studio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Murph still shoving "verbal broadside" into every pod. Jasus, it was never funny.

The only audio bed murph has consists of him saying "arlene foster"

Having said all that he was alright as Eoins stand in. Just wish he would stop trying to force the humour and over explaining simple points with long analogies.

Anyone else find that Chelsea fella today a bit of an arse?

"real fans just want to beat spurs or arsenal"

Chelsea finished above them.

"He has a bank manager vibe to him, he hasn't connected to supporters, he's unkempt, dishevelled and chain smokes and made homophobic remarks in the past"

But it's not about him personally.

He literally says his football is modern (like pep) but his personal demeanor is old fashionable. But it's not about him personally?

It was a bit condescending. Only "real" fans will understand why they're not giving him a chance, even though it was a successful season and as he said himself, they're on the way down because the investment had stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Cienciano wrote: »
    "real fans just want to beat spurs or arsenal"

Chelsea finished above them.

"He has a bank manager vibe to him, he hasn't connected to supporters, he's unkempt, dishevelled and chain smokes and made homophobic remarks in the past"

But it's not about him personally.

He literally says his football is modern (like pep) but his personal demeanor is old fashionable. But it's not about him personally?

It was a bit condescending. Only "real" fans will understand why they're not giving him a chance, even though it was a successful season and as he said himself, they're on the way down because the investment had stopped.

Thought it was hilarious that he used the homophobic slur as an excuse for Chelsea fans not connecting with him. Something tells me your average Chelsea fan in London wouldn't be too appalled by a homophobic remark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Did anyone else lol when Murph said he was going to rid Ken of his negative energy, or something along those lines. There was a pause and Murph made some strange gobble gobble sound. Then there was another pause, and they moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

hankless wrote: »
    Did anyone else lol when Murph said he was going to rid Ken of his negative energy, or something along those lines. There was a pause and Murph made some strange gobble gobble sound. Then there was another pause, and they moved on.

I have a mental image of a dreamcatcher. The size of the London Eye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

I hope thats the end of Ken's obsession with the law of attraction. They have flogged the topic to death. The law of attraction is a crock of sh1t, we get it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

They are scraping the barrel this week. Having said that I wouldn’t have minded a proper segment on the bailey TD swing scandal

dulux99 wrote: »
    Thought it was hilarious that he used the homophobic slur as an excuse for Chelsea fans not connecting with him. Something tells me your average Chelsea fan in London wouldn't be too appalled by a homophobic remark.

He also said the real fans that go to games don't care about style of football, just internet fans. Then later on said fans at the games can't watch that style of football.
    At least own pulled him up on getting Lampard in as manager after he slated Man-U for getting Ole in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

deisedude wrote: »
    I hope thats the end of Ken's obsession with the law of attraction. They have flogged the topic to death. The law of attraction is a crock of sh1t, we get it!

Its really such a boring subject, it's just another one of these miniscule things he gets hung up on. McGregor and Poch believe in it, who cares. People find inspiration in all sorts of different ways. Seems pretty weird to be so totally obsessed with this one belief.

Nice one from murph talking about Sarri kicking the Chelsea hat. "he just doesn't understand the club"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Declan Ricsssssssse

Declan Ricsssssssse

Trussst in meeee, trust in meee.

That was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Poch and lemons was gold....

I was just thinking the line of questioning of Hazard was fairly good and high pressure to get an answer and ken comes out with

"I hope Darrell Currie doesn't turn up at my door urging me to change my gas supplier"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Anyone else use Castbox to listen to their podcasts? I find it takes several hours after receiving the email about a new pod for it to show up in Castbox which is very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Anyone else use Castbox to listen to their podcasts? I find it takes several hours after receiving the email about a new pod for it to show up in Castbox which is very annoying

I've heard that about Castbox for a number of pods. I've had no issues with Podcast Addict for a few years now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Anyone using pocketcasts? Can't download any of this week's episodes with it.. even tried unsubscribe and resubscribe.. still no good

Keeps saying queued for download them download failed

Does anyone think Eoin's voice going funny while reading out Robert Troy's statement will be the next megamix.

Am I the only one who took an intake of breath when Gavan Casey mentioned people climbing Everest as a challenge, awful timing :o

The lads should make an audio bed supercut of Ken's "yeahs" as he struggled to keep up with the Annfield Wrap guys stream of non-stop chatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

lawred2 wrote: »
    Anyone using pocketcasts? Can't download any of this week's episodes with it.. even tried unsubscribe and resubscribe.. still no good

Having the same problem using Podcast Addict. Last refreshed podcast was 11 days ago.

• Advertisement

Having the same problem using Podcast Addict. Last refreshed podcast was 11 days ago.

Had to uninstall and reinstall the app - worked okay after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I saw on Twitter that Richie got married. Must not be together too long considering him talking about cancelling a first date when he messed up the Mick McCarthy interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

Powerful interview today with Hannah Tyrell, the poor girl suffered a lot...glad she has pulled through her difficulties and is flying on the sporting scene now.

I feel there can never be enough of these style of interviews to raise awareness of these various kinds of mental issues, even if it helps just the one person who is struggling then it is worth it.

All the best to Hannah in her future personal and sporting career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The boxing coverage was decent enough of the Taylor/Joshua fights but you would miss Andy Lee. I see he is on OTB about it. Pity the lads didn't get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

jaykay74 wrote: »
    The boxing coverage was decent enough of the Taylor/Joshua fights but you would miss Andy Lee. I see he is on OTB about it. Pity the lads didn't get him.

Andy Lee was on OTB.

Presume we wont be hearing from him on Second Captains anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

threein99 wrote: »
    Andy Lee was on OTB.

Presume we wont be hearing from him on Second Captains anymore

I think he was working with OTB for a good while even though he was on with Seconds Captains too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Raoul wrote: »
    I think he was working with OTB for a good while even though he was on with Seconds Captains too.

He was doing that Game of Thrones Podcast as well with them, I wonder do they insist on him only appearing on their OTB.

Hes great to listen to so as long as he appears on one of them that'll do me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Speaking of OTB, it's really gone downhill again. There is zero craic, interaction and mostly terrible contributors (johnny Giles being the worst) Andy Lee is a plus for them.
    Don't get me started on the crappy quiz - that's for a different thread

Speaking of OTB, it's really gone downhill again. There is zero craic, interaction and mostly terrible contributors (johnny Giles being the worst) Andy Lee is a plus for them.

Amazes me that they are still doing that. The forced bantz is cringeworthy. I think OTB would benefit from Gilroy being moved on. OTB is very stale.

It's not just OTB but a lot of Newstalk's shows are badly past their sell by dates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Once they became so heavily involved in Boylesports I zoned out. When they began to do gambling tutorials, advising newcomers how to get into gambling, I completely gave up. Absolutely disgusting carry on considering the epidemic of gambling addiction among their target audience.

I was at the recent Leinster 10 Year Celebration of their first Heineken Cup competition, in 2009. The MC was name checking all of the sponsors. I was bemused when he said '...and also, long-time supporter of Leinster Rugby, Newstalk's Off The Ball, and they are represented here tonight by Denis O'Brien.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Kevin kilbane and cunning ham are decent and they get some good contributors such as pat nevin and Ghrame hunter .... but the actual hosts and all that forced banter is beyond bad....they sound like they think that they are coming with grade A banter but it is pure poison

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Kevin kilbane and cunning ham are decent and they get some good contributors such as pat nevin and Ghrame hunter .... but the actual hosts and all that forced banter is beyond bad....they sound like they think that they are coming with grade A banter but it is pure poison

Graham Hunter has to be worst person on any show out there. Insufferable

Graham Hunter has to be worst person on any show out there. Insufferable

He's about as welcome as a stale fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

Is it just me or has there been a severe lack of GAA coverage so far? Hardly a peep about either of the championships, none of the big stories or previews/reviews really.

I mean, Offaly hurling is in free fall and they had Michael Duignan on regularly in the past, i’d love to hear his take on matters. Munster hurling championship has hardly been mentioned yet. Kerry struggle by Clare. Longford and Kildare was fascinating. Big games this weekend so assume Friday’s podcast will have some coverage but it has been wholly lacking in my opinion so far. Q

If Leinster were playing rugby, or Ireland in football (as it was today), you can’t breathe for all the analysis, insights and coverage from different pundits. Jut think they could do a little more with it in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Obrieski wrote: »
    Is it just me or has there been a severe lack of GAA coverage so far? Hardly a peep about either of the championships, none of the big stories or previews/reviews really.

I mean, Offaly hurling is in free fall and they had Michael Duignan on regularly in the past, i’d love to hear his take on matters. Munster hurling championship has hardly been mentioned yet. Kerry struggle by Clare. Longford and Kildare was fascinating. Big games this weekend so assume Friday’s podcast will have some coverage but it has been wholly lacking in my opinion so far. Q

If Leinster were playing rugby, or Ireland in football (as it was today), you can’t breathe for all the analysis, insights and coverage from different pundits. Jut think they could do a little more with it in my opinion

I love GAA, but it's painful listening to most pundits, players and managers.
    Just a load of nonsense punctuated with 'sure look' or 'listen'

With the exception of Oisin Mc who is excellent IMO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement