Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Spent yesterday evening trying out that new 8Bitdo pad by playing Quick Shot. It's actually one of the games I originally had for my Megadrive when I was a kid, bought it for £30 in Tesco after winning money in a pub raffle. (My grandparents bought me a ticket, I wasn't an 8 year old gambler, I swear!)

Haven't actually played it in about 20 years - a part of my brain still vividly remembered every single track and sound effect, I must have burned them in with repetition. Catchy tunes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I'm going to give this a whirl as soon as I get a chance - it's supposed to be good:

https://twitter.com/GreatBitBlog/status/1125499815146684416

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got to the end game of FF5. Really enjoying the game. I've beaten the terrible PS1 version of this game before but so far nothing beyond the opening I remember of this game. The story really is utterly rubbish but it's enough to keep the game ticking along. Then again the story isn't what keeps the game going, it's the excellent job system.

So currently gaining enough JP to start unlocking the more broken top level abilities and turn my team into a bunch of unbeatable bad asses.

The end game is very interesting, you can go straight to the final dungeon but to do that would be to miss out on a lot. The whole world map has opened up and you can complete loads of side quests for top tier weapons, spells and summons. There's loads to do. Many later FF games did a similar thing but FF5 is the first that has done it, and probably only been matched by FF6 and FF12 for end game content that's worthwhile and fun (some games like FF10 have loads of not fun end game content).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Have played Double Dragon, Rygar and Monster in my Pocket on the NES recently. Got to the final boss in Rygar but no joy.
    Finding DD much more difficult than DD3, it's a more interesting game though.
    Beat Monster in my Pocket, it's an ok game, not terrible but wouldn't be dying to play it again.

IMAG0602.jpg

IMAG0615.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beat FF5 on the SNES.just a great fun game to mess around with and at 35 hours it's nicely paced.

Master of the Universe

Playing Gato Roboto on the Switch at the moment. Really enjoying it, it's slightly discounted on the Switch store at the moment - bit of a steal.

Imagine you're playing Metroid, however you are Samus's cat off exploring while Samus is trapped in the ship.

Most of the time is spent in a robo suit you find, however you've to sometimes get out of the suit as a cat to solve puzzles.

Only down size is is the length, I read you can finish it in about 3.5 hours

I played 2 hours last night and was only really getting into it, kinda saddened to think it would be over so quickly.

I got Gunlord X on the switch the other day and it's really good too - very turrican like !
    Gato Roboto is on my wishlist also.

Playing Final Fantasy Mystic quest.

Put 4.5 hours into. Feels like I've put a lifetime into it.

It's just a miserable experience.

The battle system is bad, everything is super simplified and the puzzle elements are brain dead. At least the music is nice.

I know the game was made by Square for the western audience to try and introduce them to RPGs but if I have of played this game back then it would have put me off RPGs for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just finished my first (bad ending) run through 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors and while there is no way I'd have played this 10 years ago I couldn't put it down...

So this is not what I am playing, but what I will be playing this weekend... I'm off to revival in the UK: https://www.revivalretroevents.co.uk/index.php/component/k2/item/37-revival-2019-event-information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Playing Devolver Bootleg. It's a series of 8 bit demakes of their other games. It's kind of awful but hard to put down at the same time. Finished Hotline Milwaukee anyway, which is more than I managed with the infinitely frustrating Hotline Miami 2.

Ape Out Jnr. is my favourite so far.

Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Playing Gato Roboto on the Switch at the moment..

I played 2 hours last night and was only really getting into it, kinda saddened to think it would be over so quickly.

Well I think that comment came back to bite me in the ass. It's apparently a 3.5 hour game, I'm at six hours now.

Would like to pretend it's because I'm trying to find all the hidden areas but I'm actually at what feels like end game and can't figure out where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not quite retro but I've just finished GTA IV.

Me: large library of unfinished retro and current gen games.

Me: I'll play GTA IV for the third time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Just finished my first (bad ending) run through 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors and while there is no way I'd have played this 10 years ago I couldn't put it down...

And done plus 15 hours into virtue's last reward... Going back to college in september so have only a few months left of retro gaming for a while :D

Master of the Universe

Well I think that comment came back to bite me in the ass. It's apparently a 3.5 hour game, I'm at six hours now.

Would like to pretend it's because I'm trying to find all the hidden areas but I'm actually at what feels like end game and can't figure out where to go!

As always, there was stupid door in a random corner that I assumed was just to a hidden area but it turns out it was to the final area of the game.

Finished it now anyway, all that added running around was actually a bit of fun.

Decided I needed more of the same and downloaded Hollow Knight for the Switch. Tried playing it before on Steam but didn't like the jumping as it felt off, so I gave up on it - turns out it was the bluetooth on my NES30 lagging!

It's gorgeous to play on the Switch, really suits handheld mode.

Master of the Universe

Any of you guys tried Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night yet? Spiritual successor to Castlevania, SOTN - hearing really great things about it.

Due a Switch physical release at the end of the month.

Played a little of it and dying to play more. Let's just say they nailed it. Friend is raving about it as well.

Its very good. Its the first Metroidvania I've played, including Sotn and Super Metroid, and I'm loving it. Seems like there's a ton of content too

• o1s1n wrote: »
    Any of you guys tried Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night yet? Spiritual successor to Castlevania, SOTN - hearing really great things about it.

Due a Switch physical release at the end of the month.

I'm holding out for this. It's getting rave reviews.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Excellent, really excited about trying it out. Kind of kicking myself for buying Hollow Knight now as I'm really enjoying it but two Metroidvanias at once is a bit mad. :eek:
    Its very good. Its the first Metroidvania I've played, including Sotn and Super Metroid, and I'm loving it. Seems like there's a ton of content too

Never played any before at all? Lot of great games ahead of you! I didn't get into them really until the Castlevania games on the DS in the mid 2000's. Very prompty went out then and bought SOTN and Super Metroid.

In fairness hollow knight is up in the upper echelons of metroidvania royalty.

Never played any before at all? Lot of great games ahead of you! I didn't get into them really until the Castlevania games on the DS in the mid 2000's. Very prompty went out then and bought SOTN and Super Metroid.

None, i remember watching my friends play super metroid as a child and the whole idea of backtracking to previous areas with new powers to progress really frustrated me. Approaching 30 now and I've finally realised I was wrong about the genre:pac:
    Hollow Knight is definitely on the radar now

None, i remember watching my friends play super metroid as a child and the whole idea of backtracking to previous areas with new powers to progress really frustrated me. Approaching 30 now and I've finally realised I was wrong about the genre:pac:
    Hollow Knight is definitely on the radar now

Wow, you have missed out on so much but also you've got a vast amount of amazing games to experience fresh. Serious, metroidvania is just such an amazing genre with Super Metroid being in my eyes the perfect game. If wanted to argue Symphony of the Night was better I wouldn't be able to and would just settle for a cold war stand off.

People complaining about back tracking in the games haven't played it or just have no patience because it's not backtracking, it's exploration. The joy you feel when you uncover a whole new section of the game world has only been matched recently by games like Breath of the Wild and Outer Wilds, two games that are built around rewarding players for exploration. Kind of jealous you get to play them for the first time!

BTW: my friend was saying there are hints that Bloodstained might be hiding a SotN style surprise

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wow, you have missed out on so much but also you've got a vast amount of amazing games to experience fresh. Serious, metroidvania is just such an amazing genre with Super Metroid being in my eyes the perfect game. If wanted to argue Symphony of the Night was better I wouldn't be able to and would just settle for a cold war stand off.

People complaining about back tracking in the games haven't played it or just have no patience because it's not backtracking, it's exploration. The joy you feel when you uncover a whole new section of the game world has only been matched recently by games like Breath of the Wild and Outer Wilds, two games that are built around rewarding players for exploration. Kind of jealous you get to play them for the first time!

BTW: my friend was saying there are hints that Bloodstained might be hiding a SotN style surprise
    I have Metroid and SotN on the vita so i'll make a start on one of them after bloodstained. I've inflicted a bit of RPG burnout on myself the last couple of weeks so this is definitely a welcome change of pace.

sotn is for me one of the greatest games ever made, play through it at least once per year forwards and backwards for past 10 years, love the game so much so Iam excited for this beyond explanation.. waiting for switch physical to arrive next week so trying to avoid all media since release, really want to experience it fresh. Very Very excited for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I find Metroidvanias grate on my nerves for some reason. Last one I tried was Guacamelee. I've another on the PS4.. think it's called Iconoclast played it for a couple of hours. I should probably just play SOTN or Super Metroid.. I do sort of enjoy Monster Boy I guess. Dunno if the WB games count as Metroidvanias.

Master of the Universe

I find Metroidvanias grate on my nerves for some reason. Last one I tried was Guacamelee. I've another on the PS4.. think it's called Iconoclast played it for a couple of hours. I should probably just play SOTN or Super Metroid.. I do sort of enjoy Monster Boy I guess. Dunno if the WB games count as Metroidvanias.

SOTN and Super Metroid will definitely change that for you alright. It's impossible to play those games and not like them, they're that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

SOTN and Super Metroid will definitely change that for you alright. It's impossible to play those games and not like them, they're that good.

Seconded. I played Super Metroid a few years back for the first time, and it just hooks you in. It’s an incredible piece of game design. Haven’t played SotN....yet....

Inviere wrote: »
    Seconded. I played Super Metroid a few years back for the first time, and it just hooks you in. It’s an incredible piece of game design. Haven’t played SotN....yet....

Christ. That's almost as bad as not getting 96 exits in super mario world :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Thankfully, I’ve done that :o Now as for o1s1n....

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Some games are just too good to finish...:D

Playing my PS3 when I'm back in my parents place at various weekends and enjoying the console far more than my mothballed PS4.

I've been playing through the original MSX Metal Gear on it. It's got a fair amount of jank but overall it really holds up and I'm having a surprising amount of fun with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I was playing konami xmen on the arcade this evening, its actually a lot better than I remembered. I used to play the 6 player cab they had in that place on Westmoreland street, wonder what happened to that? (as if you need to guess!)

Gameplay is as standard as can be, but like a lot of the 4+ player konami games of that period (simpsons, turtles, sunset riders, metamorphic force etc) the presentation is pretty great, like the intro after you credit up!

And without the noise of the old arcades (or mega low supergun) the music is fairly thumping too with good speakers, good job on making the game overall like a comic :)

And this is ingrained in my head for the night, "x,x,x,x,x,x,x MEN, x,x,x,x,x,x,x men!"

Master of the Universe

Finally got my hands on the recent M2 Virtua Racing release on the Switch. Can't put it down, absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Playing Simpsons Hit & Run for the Gamecube. Missed it first time round. Great fun!

Played and finished the PS3 port of the PS2 port of the mobile port of the MSX Metal Gear.

It's a really fantastic game that still holds up despite a few bits of jank. It's kind of weird that enemies can only see in a direct straight line but the game still remains very playable. There's a few obtuse moments I have to look up a faq for but apparently these had clues to them in the manual.

I'm currently playing Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake and it's a far more refined experience. It's extremely ambitious and is pretty much a 2D version of Metal Gear Solid as the scenarios and gameplay are nearly exactly the same. There's one obtuse moment as well involving reading a tap code message which is explained in the manual again. The SCC soundtrack is just incredible. Konami really had some great composers for their MSX games.

I made a start on Silent Hill 3 last night. Definitely enjoying it but not as much as its predecessor, although I figured as much that would be the case. The enemies I've come across so far don't have the depth as the ones seen in 2, however it's the music that's really sticking with me here, I feel constantly on edge playing as long as the awful soundtrack is there in the background, screeching away. Definitely one of the most effective use of sounds I've seen in a video game.
    Heather is handled very well too, avoiding the tropes usually associated with teen protagonists, namely angst, stupidity or obnoxiousness.
    The game looks fantastic for a title that came out in 2003, pre rendered backgrounds look great, same for the character models although I am seeing quite a few graphical errors, especially relating to lighting, shadows etc. This is on the pc version so maybe it's not so bad on console, but I must say it's in no way bad enough to detract from any enjoyment I've been getting out of SH3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just to say, this thread is 10 years old this month!

I made a start on Silent Hill 3 last night. Definitely enjoying it but not as much as its predecessor, although I figured as much that would be the case. The enemies I've come across so far don't have the depth as the ones seen in 2, however it's the music that's really sticking with me here, I feel constantly on edge playing as long as the awful soundtrack is there in the background, screeching away. Definitely one of the most effective use of sounds I've seen in a video game.
    Heather is handled very well too, avoiding the tropes usually associated with teen protagonists, namely angst, stupidity or obnoxiousness.
    The game looks fantastic for a title that came out in 2003, pre rendered backgrounds look great, same for the character models although I am seeing quite a few graphical errors, especially relating to lighting, shadows etc. This is on the pc version so maybe it's not so bad on console, but I must say it's in no way bad enough to detract from any enjoyment I've been getting out of SH3.

I've been meaning to play through SH3, but haven't even had time to start Born from A Wish yet! Might have to play a PC copy of it as I don't have RGB for PS2 or a working controller...

Strangely enough it isn't compatible on the 360 like SH2 and 4 are...

Looking forward to playing Maria's campaign though as I've actually never played it.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just to say, this thread is 10 years old this month!

Wow, crazy to think it hasn't hit its 10,000 post limit yet!

I was in Token last night and this afternoon (!).

Had a bit of a birthday bash there last night and my misses had completely forgotten how much she loves dance games - so she dragged me down again this afternoon for another go.

It's incredibly pleasant there on a Sunday afternoon, practically empty when compared to a Saturday night.

Saying that it was nice to see the place so full.

First time I've been there in ages, few of the monitors that had issues the last times have been improved a bit...some I wish I'd brought my degaussing wand along for!

The Sega Rally is absolutely glorious. Monitors are lovely, the force feedback is spot on, just brilliant.

• Advertisement

Any feedback on the expansion? My sister went the other week and they wouldn't let anyone in there. Must keep in mind going on a Sunday in future, it's mental how busy it is even after being open what, two years now?

Also haven't heard anyone mentioning Simpsons Bowling, apparently it's an awful game but I'm curious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Playing Druid on the ZX spectrum.

I can't tell the difference between it and gauntlet.

I remember a friend got it for Christmas.

Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Any feedback on the expansion? My sister went the other week and they wouldn't let anyone in there. Must keep in mind going on a Sunday in future, it's mental how busy it is even after being open what, two years now?

Also haven't heard anyone mentioning Simpsons Bowling, apparently it's an awful game but I'm curious :D

The expanded area is mostly tables, but they've a few games in there too.

From what I remember, a Sega Rally twin, Crazy Taxi, Total Nuclear Annihilation pin and a Superman generic cab.

They've giant VHS cassette tapes on the wall which actually looks kind of cool.

Didn't see any Simpsons bowling though! Might have been tucked away in the expanded area that I didn't get to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Stoner wrote: »
    Playing Druid on the ZX spectrum.

I can't tell the difference between it and gauntlet.

I remember a friend got it for Christmas.

Have Dandy on zx spectrum. Was that a prequel to gauntlet?

The Sega Rally is absolutely glorious. Monitors are lovely, the force feedback is spot on, just brilliant.

There is a sega rally 2 (3??) in the bowling alley near me and its an absolute pleasure to play.

K-Bowl naas

Wikidy wrote: »
    Have Dandy on zx spectrum. Was that a prequel to gauntlet?

Nope. But Ed Logg pretty much said he ripped Dandy off for Gauntlet.

Master of the Universe

Playing through lots of Famicom games at the moment.

I decided to turn my smaller PVM into horizontal mode again as all of my vertical shooting is being done on the Pony anyway.

Big BVM doesn't do 60hz NTSC composite so it's the only way I can play the Famicom.

Looks pretty nice for composite.

thumbnail-IMG-20190803-181039620.jpg

Played some MSR last night, I'm terrible at it...

I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 as part of the Retro Asylum games club - I've never played a FF game before.
    It's OK but a bit tedious....
    I'm just over 6 hours in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Been playing Micro Mages on the NES. Very fun game. Completed it there and would definitely play it again soon.

Didn't complete it in one go, used the password system over a few sessions.

IMAG0920.jpg

IMAG0940.jpg

Advertisement