Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

deezell wrote: »
    The thing with Ryanair is, you don't breathe easy until you are standing at you destination. It always feels like a trial, or endurance test. You can sense this tension from the assembled passengers from check in until you clear the destination airport. I'm sure there are 'I survived Ryanair' lapel badges.

Jesus wept. :rolleyes: Overexaggerate much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭deezell

MOH wrote: »

Nope, one ****ty experience too many. Not cancelling a snowbound flight until at the airport, when it was obvious it was shagged, forcing people to make a useless journey. Other airlines with same departures had cancelled 4-5 hours earlier, their passengers could stay in bed. Being allocated 2 seats either end of a 3/4 full aircraft, which later turned out to be their new policy. Next time tried to book seat together, and they had preallocated ALL the centre seats to 'random' check ins, so I ended paying for two seats with a stranger between us. In Eindhoven, middle of nowhere and not even 'near' Amsterdam, (its not even near Eindhoven), I witnessed a plane load of Italians being told to go to baggage reclaim and collect their baggage as their flight was cancelled. Plane not even there. Collect your bags and f**k off. Poor Bs. Wander around in the middle of nowhere. Rumours then circulating that dublin flight wasn't there (it wasn't, just delayed), the sick feeling I'll never forget. I've already posted about getting a baguette served in arse paper. I'd fly ryanair if the flight was trivial and unimportant, bagless and on my own, and I could walk or train or bus away if it went pear shaped. Otherwise its not worth the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Ya man, imagine being told your flight is cancelled and you just arrived at Warsaw Modlin.

Ryanair staff say "if you want us to give you a hotel tonight you are going to have to accept a flight in 3 days time or you can fly to stansted in the morning and then back to Cologne later in the night"

And when it all goes wrong they say "What did you expect, you got your flight for cheap"

You book an alternative flight + hotel for the next day according to their rules, then you have to figure out how to fit all your stuff into a 1MB PDF file :pac:

Now it really is a "phew no problems this time"

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I said CORK.... most of you 30 seconds relates to "real" airports. FFS, AL only started using airbridges years after they were installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Nope, one ****ty experience too many. Not cancelling a snowbound flight until at the airport, when it was obvious it was shagged, forcing people to make a useless journey. Other airlines with same departures had cancelled 4-5 hours earlier, their passengers could stay in bed. Being allocated 2 seats either end of a 3/4 full aircraft, which later turned out to be their new policy. Next time tried to book seat together, and they had preallocated ALL the centre seats to 'random' check ins, so I ended paying for two seats with a stranger between us. In Eindhoven, middle of nowhere and not even 'near' Amsterdam, (its not even near Eindhoven), I witnessed a plane load of Italians being told to go to baggage reclaim and collect their baggage as their flight was cancelled. Plane not even there. Collect your bags and f**k off. Poor Bs. Wander around in the middle of nowhere. Rumours then circulating that dublin flight wasn't there (it wasn't, just delayed), the sick feeling I'll never forget. I've already posted about getting a baguette served in arse paper. I'd fly ryanair if the flight was trivial and unimportant, bagless and on my own, and I could walk or train or bus away if it went pear shaped. Otherwise its not worth the stress.

?

THey don't claim Eindhoven is Amsterdam, they fly directly to the main Amsterdam airport. this is like claiming that cork isn't near dublin. And Eindhoven airport is about 6km from Eindhoven city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

BarryM wrote: »
    I said CORK.... most of you 30 seconds relates to "real" airports. FFS, AL only started using airbridges years after they were installed.

Never used Ryanair from Cork, they don't really fly anywhere in the North Western European Mainland.

But yes there are some exceptions at some of the Airports they don't really have many flights from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Nope, one ****ty experience too many...

Yep, they're not great when stuff goes wrong.
    But I could list a dozen rubbish airline/flight experiences I've had with Alitalia, British Midland, Cyprus Airways, Air New Zealand ... probably a dozen with Aer Lingus alone.

But statements like
    "You can sense this tension from the assembled passengers from check in until you clear the destination airport. I'm sure there are 'I survived Ryanair' lapel badges." are pure hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I get this email every time:
    Dear Customer,

We have been advised of security delays at XXXXXXXX airport.

We ask that customers departing from XXXXXX airport arrive at the airport as early as possible, preferably 2 hours before their scheduled flight departure time, to ensure they have sufficient time to clear airport security and to be at the boarding gate at our recommended 30 minutes prior to scheduled fight departure time.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Ryanair Customer Service

Oh yawn! There are never any delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

They spam the crap out of my inbox for one flight. Can’t wait to block them but can’t until the flight is taken in case they send me something important.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

But I could list a dozen rubbish airline/flight experiences I've had with Alitalia, British Midland, Cyprus Airways, Air New Zealand ... probably a dozen with Aer Lingus alone.

But statements like
    "You can sense this tension from the assembled passengers from check in until you clear the destination airport. I'm sure there are 'I survived Ryanair' lapel badges." are pure hyperbole.
    I actually agree about the sense of tension getting a Ryanair flight it’s definitely a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

I get this email every time:

Oh yawn! There are never any delays.

That’s because most people heed the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭deezell

Locker10a wrote: »
    I actually agree about the sense of tension getting a Ryanair flight it’s definitely a thing

Thank you Locker10a, so I'm not imagining it, I'm not a Hyperbolex as Moh suggests.

Allinall wrote: »
    That’s because most people heed the email.
    In this particular case they don't.

I can show up 40 mins beforehand and always make the flight comfortably.

It is just spam as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I’m just back from Faro. Absolutely the worst airport experience I have ever had.( the flight was fine)

I had a bag to check in this time (normally I don’t but doing a friend a favour) so I booked plus fare which basically means one checked bag and a allowed a cabin bag on board. Flight 15.25, arrived at the airport at 13:00 and the board showed gates 46 - 50 for check in. Joined the queue at 13:05 for desk 48. Safe bet or so I thought. After 10 mins it was apparent that all the queues were slow moving. Very slow moving. At approx 13.30 a Ryanair employee came through the queues and declared they were closing line 48. And advised us to move over to the other queues, mostly line 49. And she walked away. We sort of agreed among ourselves where we would be in the ‘new’ queue. And shuffled forward slowly. Then another employee closed line 47. And told them to move in line 46. (Line 50 was reserved for flex + fares, and was effectively not a line as such, but appeared to be busy) then at around 14:00 they decided to close line 46. So now -effectively - there was only one check in desk open. Line 49. As we got closer we could see there was massive problems with cabin size bags. The staff at the desk were sending anyone who had not paid for cabin bags to a RY kiosk to pay for the cabin bag and they were using line 50 to check in those passengers - once the had returned from the kiosk with proof of payment. I let a fair number of passengers who were flying to Manchester go in front of me as they were starting to panic. I eventually got checked in at 14:15 and by the time I got through security it was time to go to gate.

If Ryanair introduce new bags rules they should ensure that airports are staffed accordingly. I took a photo on my phone at one stage and the single queue awful.
    (I don’t know how to post mobile photos on here). Awful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

In this particular case they don't.

I can show up 40 mins beforehand and always make the flight comfortably.

It is just spam as far as I am concerned.

I think you’re missing the point.

If everyone turned up 40 minutes before the flight, there would be chaos.

It’s for this very reason they send out emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

But statements like

Not great is an understatement. It's fine when travelling solo but having flown with them to lanzarote last year I'll never fly them again with kids

Clueless ground staff
    No offer of food for the baby
    No offer of a hotel
    Lies from ground staff
    Waiting to the last minute to cancel so no hotels were available (thankfully we had relatives whose couch we could sleep on and we could get some formula ). This seems a common trick of theirs. There were 70+ year olds sleeping in airport seats.
    Lies from the airline about why the delay occurred and a refusal to pay compensation
    Being given a fake number by their customer service rep when I called the helpline

I have had bad experiences with airlines before but only one has come anywhere close to experiences with Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

redcup342 wrote: »
    Air Lingus usually have much better slots (Early Morning and late evening)

Don't have some weird baggage Policy

Staff are paid a decent wage

Use the Air Bridge in Airports (So you aren't waiting for a Bus to get to and from the bus)

I flew Aer Lingus Brussels-Zaventum to Dublin this week and we got bussed on arrival in Dublin to terminal 2. This wasn’t a small regional aeroplane either like they use for Glasgow for which you also get bussed

I’d have been just as happy walking in terminal 1 as we do with Ryanair. I doubt there was any time difference.

Where’s the point in booking a seat and people sitting where they like? On a recent flight I booked an aisle seat. I boarded plane only to find someone sitting in my seat. The steward kept saying “Please take your seat” not understanding that I couldn’t as someone else had! That someone else was ignoring us both so wasn’t going to budge. The steward again asked me to take my seat as I was blocking the aisle. I asked him to find out what seat the cuckoo should be in so I could sit there. Again I was told to take my seat. The cuckoos companion used her loaf and checked what seat he should be in and told me. Problem solved. I feel that the stewards poor understanding of the English language contributed to the problem.

I see that RY say anyone who doesn’t pay priority or check in their cabin bag will be charged €20 at check in desks or €25 at gate.

Hopefully it stops what was clearly causing problems at Faro yesterday.

If anyone wants a laugh. I had priority as part I’d the plus fare. Yesterday they were using the gates AL normally use, and their planes were parked where the AL ones used to park. Down at the very end of the airport. So they used busses. And the first bus filled up with priority passengers and headed off in the direction of the plane. Only the crew hadn’t boarded and the doors were still closed.

After a few mins he drove off with us still on board and we went for a tour of the airport. Back to where we embarked (and where the non priority passengers were still waiting). Back out again to the apron and a nice slow spin down the length of the airport and back to the plane again. This time they let us off, even though there was ‘straps’ across the doors and we had a few mins wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Where’s the point in booking a seat and people sitting where they like? On a recent flight I booked an aisle seat. I boarded plane only to find someone sitting in my seat. The steward kept saying “Please take your seat” not understanding that I couldn’t as someone else had! That someone else was ignoring us both so wasn’t going to budge. The steward again asked me to take my seat as I was blocking the aisle. I asked him to find out what seat the cuckoo should be in so I could sit there. Again I was told to take my seat. The cuckoos companion used her loaf and checked what seat he should be in and told me. Problem solved. I feel that the stewards poor understanding of the English language contributed to the problem.

Why didn't you just ask them to move, have a bit of backbone. Someone can hardly ignore you if your standing over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I wonder how much grace period Ryanair will give on the new baggage rules? We flew from Malaga last Tuesday and there were loads of people at the gate with non priority bags and no charges levied.
    I saw one family of assorted ages carting some clearly overlarge bags with them, all non priority, and they were simply taken from them free at the gate with only a few words of rebuke.
    The teenage son had a backpack on him that was nearly as big as himself - he was let through into the plane, even though it was undeniably larger and heavier than it should have been. Room was eventually found for it in the overhead bins.
    To crown it all, the mother then went up and down the plane, against the incoming crowd, to obtain adjacent seats for her younger daughter. These were found, as some people moved to accommodate her.
    It's this sort of taking the pi$$ that caused all the changes in the first place, so I hope Ryanair put a lid on it very soon.

ASOT wrote: »
    Why didn't you just ask them to move, have a bit of backbone. Someone can hardly ignore you if your standing over them.

I did. He seemed convinced that he was in the right seat and refused to acknowledge me. As I was traveling alone it didn’t matter where I sat. He seemed a tad tired and emotional. My problem was that the Steward couldn’t understand the problem and kept telling me to take my seat. I couldn’t as someone else had.

I’m not lacking in backbone but know when I’m talking to a brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

If Ryanair introduce new bags rules they should ensure that airports are staffed accordingly. I took a photo on my phone at one stage and the single queue awful.
    (I don’t know how to post mobile photos on here). Awful experience

you cant blame the airports for Ryanair moving the goal posts to suit their bottom line. You can bet that there was no consultation from Ryanair on this cos

1. Ryanair not wiling to share /commission this extra income that is being collected
    2. Ryanair wont pick up the cost for extra staff need now to handle the flight

So.... moan at Ryanair for creating this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I wonder how much grace period Ryanair will give on the new baggage rules? We flew from Malaga last Tuesday and there were loads of people at the gate with non priority bags and no charges levied.
    I saw one family of assorted ages carting some clearly overlarge bags with them, all non priority, and they were simply taken from them free at the gate with only a few words of rebuke.
    The teenage son had a backpack on him that was nearly as big as himself - he was let through into the plane, even though it was undeniably larger and heavier than it should have been. Room was eventually found for it in the overhead bins.
    To crown it all, the mother then went up and down the plane, against the incoming crowd, to obtain adjacent seats for her younger daughter. These were found, as some people moved to accommodate her.
    It's this sort of taking the pi$$ that caused all the changes in the first place, so I hope Ryanair put a lid on it very soon.

I can't see a long period of grace at all and there should not be.
    I booked flights to England before the baggage changes and have had plenty of e mails reminding me of the changes as had every other person that booked before or after.
    Ryanair have rules ,play by there rules and everything runs smoothly.
    People like to push the rules , but it just ruins things for everyone else.
    I like Ryanair what you see is what you get.
    Just to add I travel with Ryanair with my son who is special needs I always inform them of this when booking ,there staff have always gone above and beyond to accommodate us

Masala wrote: »

you cant blame the airports for Ryanair moving the goal posts to suit their bottom line. You can bet that there was no consultation from Ryanair on this cos

1. Ryanair not wiling to share /commission this extra income that is being collected
    2. Ryanair wont pick up the cost for extra staff need now to handle the flight

So.... moan at Ryanair for creating this problem.

I was moaning at RY. It was their at their check in desks. I didn’t blame the airport , I said it was the worst airport experience I ever had. And it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

joeysoap wrote: »
    I was moaning at RY. It was their at their check in desks. I didn’t blame the airport , I said it was the worst airport experience I ever had. And it was.

But a lot of airports don’t have Ryanair staff. It’s airport staff who check you in. Despite what people think.... Ryanair don’t pay airports on a per bag basis. So dumping another 90 bags at checkin staff is no cost to Ryanair.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The check-in staff are the ground handlers. Only at the tiniest airports do the airport authority even offer ground handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You used to be able to have different luggage on each leg of a return trip but it looks like you now have to add the same luggage to both trips. I used to only get a check in bag for my homeward bound trip but now have to book luggage for both trips, no one trip option anymore. Unless I'm missing something.

Don't like booking single trips each way if I can avoid it.

I always book each leg as a separate booking for the same reason. I don't always have luggage on one of the legs.

Ryanair assume that what bags go out come back.

• Advertisement

Another trip to Faro coming up. (My friend is clearing out his apartment and I am his mule :).

Small bag only on the out leg so RY wins this €17 - don’t know how they do this tbh as the taxes and charges have to be more than that.

Return - Al are slightly cheaper basic fare but AL checked bag is €40. Ry plus (I’ll have a checked bag and a cabin bag) is roughly €32. So roughly the same in the end. I’ll go AL.

I agree with L1011. The staff member who closed her line was at the Manchester boarding gate when we were in the departure area. Probably had to close check in and go to boarding gate. Can’t be in two places at same time.

Advertisement