Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diego Armando Maradona 1960 - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I cannot fcuking believe I am writing about the death of Diego Armando...:(

GT89 wrote: »
    Andre Villas Boas thinks Fifa should get all teams should retire the number ten shirt. Whilst I am very saddened by Diego's loss, I think this is a tad over the top.
    https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/diego-maradona-andre-villas-boas-calls-for-fifa-to-retire-no10-for-every-club

Yeah it's too much. He doesn't need a tribute like that. The videos of his genius are monument enough to his greatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Agreed, he did what he did against the Juventus of Platini, and the great AC Milan side of the late 80's (Gullit, Van Basten and Co.).

I think your Real Betis/Getafe analogy is spot on.

Not really the same a signing for Getafe unless it was after they got a big cash injection. Napoli's success was no accident or fluke they were a team built to compete

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭dasdog

Well, Paolo Maldini said he was the best player he ever faced. That's good enough for me.

As did Franco Baresi who is ranked right up there.

I re-watched the HBO documentary last night. I'm going to watch the Mexico one now which I've yet to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Watching some clips from the Argentinian channels on Youtube, most of the presenters were in tears.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Not really the same a signing for Getafe unless it was after they got a big cash injection. Napoli's success was no accident or fluke they were a team built to compete

Perhaps somewhat comparable to signing for Man City or Chelsea a year after the Sheikh Mansoor or Abramovich takeovers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Different class.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

. Probably the same way a lot of Irish fans won't forget Thierry Henry's handball, that cost us a chance at a penalty shootout to reach the World Cup, but 11 years 7 days 17 hours & 36 minutes on, we've largely dropped the resent we still hold for it!!.

Naw, people still pissing on about it to this day as if TH was Cromwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

To stand out now you need olympic sprinter speed, magnificent two footed skills and unbelievable strength to overcome tackles from beasts like Virgil VD. To have all this, and the football nous needed to stand out at the very top ... at only 18... is going to be very hard to find again in my opinion.

Virgil VD is a pussy in comparison to the defenders in Maradona's days.
    Or indeed the ones that faced Pele, Best, Cruyff, Eusebio, di Stefano, etc.
    Agreed, he did what he did against the Juventus of Platini, and the great AC Milan side of the late 80's (Gullit, Van Basten and Co.).

I think your Real Betis/Getafe analogy is spot on.

Actually after the first league in 86 Juve really slipped and it was Milan with the Dutch and Inter with the Germans that were major opponents,
    Then Sampdoria appeared with Vialli and Mancini.
    Platini retired in 1987.

GT89 wrote: »
    Perhaps somewhat comparable to signing for Man City or Chelsea a year after the Sheikh Mansoor or Abramovich takeovers

No way.
    Napoli had money, but never at the level of Chelsea or most definitely City would have where they could go shopping.

Just looked it up, in 1986/87 squad that won Seria A only foreign player is Maradona himself.
    Compare that to Juve, Milan, Roma, Inter who all had top foreigners and more oftne than not more Italian internationals.

Brazil's Careca was brought in after they won the first league.
    Brazil's Alemao was brought in the year after.

So now way was it comparable to City or Chelsea.

That shows how fooking great he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Loved the guy regardless all his faults. His football was something amazing I grew up with and will never ever forget.
    RIP Legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah I am little bemused by the sudden George Best love fest. Absolutely zero comparison in my books. Knocking in 6 goals against the mighty Northampton in a 3rd Rd FA Cup game ain't doing it for me.

Sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

even his name is fcuking special.

Don't think "Nigel Smith" would have been a world class footballer.

As one writer said in the past twenty four hours , everything about him was " exotic " , Back in the eighties , the world was a much bigger place and many of the players around were only seen at WC time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Phenomenal footballer. Pity about his politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

coinop wrote: »
    Phenomenal footballer. Pity about his politics.

Explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

He was an unapologetic lefty, which in my eyes makes him even more of a legend.

jmayo wrote: »

No way.
    Napoli had money, but never at the level of Chelsea or most definitely City would have where they could go shopping.

Worth noting that for an apparent dirt poor club they still managed to go out a break the world record transfer fee (yes the source of the funds is well commented).

That is like Burnley going out today and breaking the world transfer fee to bring in Mpape. Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

_Brian wrote: »
    Another example of a fine talent fckued up by drugs.

When i see his name two things spring to mind, hand of god (cheater) and drugs. Not the legacy he could have left but those were his choices.

Ah would you stop and get off your high horse.

He won the World Cup in 86. and was majorly responsible for that.

He dragged an average an cynical team in 1990 to the World Cup final.

He had a fantastic club career and turned Napoli, an unfashionable club into Italian & UEFA champions,.

His career was not hampered by the problems you mention which came mostly after his career.

As for a cheat. Only the British media go on about that Hand of God goal and they need to move on. Maradona took a chance and got away with it.
    4 minutes later he scored the greatest goal I've ever seen and that's what that game should be remembered for.

With his skill came huge fame and pressure which I can imagine takes its toll and he was human and no wonder he had his well documented issues that have now led to his early demise.
    Also, his failed drug test was not for classs A drugs but ephedrine which he was adamant was a mistake by his trainer.

I think you should remember the joy he brought to millions (something very few people achieve) and celebrate him and not pinpoint on 2 things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

To stand out now you need olympic sprinter speed, magnificent two footed skills and unbelievable strength to overcome tackles from beasts like Virgil VD. To have all this, and the football nous needed to stand out at the very top ... at only 18... is going to be very hard to find again in my opinion.

The great soccer writer Brian Glanville, was fond of pointing out that one of the game's enduring attractions was that physique does not make the footballer. I think, in general, he's right although that may be changing with the increased emphasis on a scientific approach, ie statistical, approach to identifying and grooming young talent.

Write down a list of the very greatest players from the past 50 years. Any list would surely include:
    Lionel Messi
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Zinnedine Zidane
    Diego Maradona
    Johan Cruyff
    Franz Beckenbauer
    Pele

to name only the very pick of the crop. There are numerous other great players just underneath that category. They are all of different nationalities, shapes and sizes and some with, outwardly at least, great deficiencies. Messi is tiny, Zidane was slow, Maradona could only use one foot (Yes. True. Look at THAT goal again. He hardly touches the ball with his right foot. Look at the similar goal he scored against Belgium in the semi final and see how he contorted himself to use his only good foot rather than attempt a shot with his right. "The best one-footed player since Puskas" --who was a very similar stocky shape-- as somebody once pointed out)

Zidane and Ronaldo were magnificent 6 foot plus athletic specimens. Messi could have been a jockey. Cruyff was impossibly skinny. As was George Best.

Nowadays, however, those responsible for talent identification and development want big fast powerful specimens. It is becoming something of a template. All the more reason why we need some misshapen genius like Maradona or Messi or any one of the tiny Spaniards who dominated football in the noughties to come along and defy the odds again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The great soccer writer Brian Glanville, was fond of pointing out that one of the game's enduring attractions was that physique does not make the footballer. I think, in general, he's right although that may be changing with the increased emphasis on a scientific approach, ie statistical, approach to identifying and grooming young talent.

Write down a list of the very greatest players from the past 50 years. Any list would surely include:
    Lionel Messi
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Zinnedine Zidane
    Diego Maradona
    Johan Cruyff
    Franz Beckenbauer
    Pele

to name only the very pick of the crop. There are numerous other great players just underneath that category. They are all of different nationalities, shapes and sizes and some with, outwardly at least, great deficiencies. Messi is tiny, Zidane was slow, Maradona could only use one foot (Yes. True. Look at THAT goal again. He hardly touches the ball with his right foot. Look at the similar goal he scored against Belgium in the semi final and see how he contorted himself to use his only good foot rather than attempt a shot with his right. "The best one-footed player since Puskas" --who was a very similar stocky shape-- as somebody once pointed out)

Zidane and Ronaldo were magnificent 6 foot plus athletic specimens. Messi could have been a jockey. Cruyff was impossibly skinny. As was George Best.

Nowadays, however, those responsible for talent identification and development want big fast powerful specimens. It is becoming something of a template. All the more reason why we need some misshapen genius like Maradona or Messi or any one of the tiny Spaniards who dominated football in the noughties to come along and defy the odds again.

Add Gerd Muller and Eusabio to that list ahead of Zidane

US2 wrote: »

And Maldini ahead of both of them. Best players ever doesn't have to be forwards with token Beckenbauer

• Advertisement

I have to admit I was never Zidane's greatest fan.

Personally I thought he tended to drift in and out of games too much and gave away the ball a lot.

I'll tell you who was a fine fine player. Another Argentinian: Fernando Redondo.

He was an unapologetic lefty, which in my eyes makes him even more of a legend.

Isn't this part of his whole mystique in Argentina. The poor kid who never forget his roots. I don't know if it's actually true or not but I heard stories that through out their careers Tevez got a lot more love than Messi from the Argentine fans because he is a true barrio kid

Isn't this part of his whole mystique in Argentina. The poor kid who never forget his roots. I don't know if it's actually true or not but I heard stories that through out their careers Tevez got a lot more love than Messi from the Argentine fans because he is a true barrio kid

I think a lot of the antipathy toward Messi stems from the fact he left Argentina when he was 12 and has never played club football in Argentina. So there is a definite lack of "love".

Messi burst onto the scene with Barcelona in a different country in a different continent rather than say River Plate or Boca.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Lionel Messi
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Zinnedine Zidane
    Diego Maradona
    Johan Cruyff
    Franz Beckenbauer
    Pele

Ah for god sake what about Tony Cascarino?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

US2 wrote: »
    And Maldini ahead of both of them. Best players ever doesn't have to be forwards with token Beckenbauer

My list was in no way meant to be exhaustive, but the names you added just strengthened my point: Muller a stocky little short ass, lethal over 10m but without the sustained speed to play anywhere else; Eusebio a massive powerful athlete who was just the sort of stereotype that youth team coaches for the big clubs go for nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,584 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'll tell you who was a fine fine player. Another Argentinian: Fernando Redondo.

Over rated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be insensitive but does this sad news warrant being the main headline on both the main evening news bulletins, just seems extraordinary with what is going on in the world but more importantly closer to home, Patricia Carrick"s Death, 2 homeless men found dead on the streets of our capital city (One just a few yards from the Dail)

Maybe I'm wrong but WTF is going on in the crazy world.

You care as little for the individual fates of those poor men as you do Maradona. It's just a rhetorical launchpad for whatever clumsy student virtue signal you're running with.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

You care as little for the individual fates of those poor men as you do Maradona. It's just a rhetorical launchpad for whatever clumsy student virtue signal you're running with.

Have you ever tried walking with a clumsy student virtue signal, never mind running?

Maradona, however, could dribble through a packed defence before chipping over the bemused goalkeeper..... with a student virtue signal delicately balanced on the tip of his nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Lionel Messi
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Zinnedine Zidane
    Diego Maradona
    Johan Cruyff
    Franz Beckenbauer
    Pele

Fat Ronaldo
    Puskas
    Zoff
    Garrincha
    Best etc

Most wud prob put similar in their top 50, assuming they have some knowledge of the all-time greats.

The very best ever is subjective but you'd assume wud come from list of Maradona, Pele, Messi, Ronaldo x2 etc.

A lot depends on who the first player was to make your jaw hit the floor as a young fella.

My pick is Maradona as I watched Mexico '86 as a young fella, amazed at what he could do.

Advertisement