Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diego Armando Maradona 1960 - 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

I wouldn't have George Best in Maradona's league.
    Best achieved very little in the game if you ask me - in comparison with true legends.

Lol

People have short memories

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Same as George Best

He did it all at Man U, you'd swear the way some people talk he only played a few games

The Brits blew that hand of.god goal out of all proportion to what it was, a football incident

Ya, but Diego did it for country too. Obviously things were harder for NI with smaller population and a province divided .(but they had played at a World Cup in the 1950s) ... Best wasn’t exactly ....devoid of world class team mates , he had the likeS of Charlton And Law .

Diego was consistent for a lot longer too . Bear in mind the plague of Recentism . Many of us had tv to watch Diego’s career from start to finish .

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think if you took a million football fans from all over the world and asked them what was their favorite goal from the last 50 years his second against England in 86 would win easily.

Everything about that goal turned him from a mere mortal into a god like figure for many.

Agree

Funny thing is A Young Michael Owen scored a similar type of goal at WC 1998 against the Argies , for “Engerland”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Oh look.. The scurrilous post delving into Maradonas private life was removed .....

I wonder why ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The similarities in these goals is eery

https://youtu.be/l25IQqnksCs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

US2 wrote: »

Very similar indeed, however Messi was playing on a stunning state of the art pitch, Maradona was playing on a patchwork quilt, that was constantly shifting under foot (according to Gary Lineker)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Incredible player - I well remember his stellar performance in World Cup 1986 as an 11 year old lad watching the matches with my mates on the telly.

Given his health issues of late and his struggles with addiction, I wasn't all that surprised to hear of his passing.

RIP to a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Very similar indeed, however Messi was playing on a stunning state of the art pitch, Maradona was playing on a patchwork quilt, that was constantly shifting under foot (according to Gary Lineker)

Oh no doubt about it. Mardonna could do everything Messi can in a bog with kunf Fu tackles allowed , in a poor team while high on cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Grew up with arcade games in late 1980s and the period from 86-90.

With any of the arcade football games it was impossible to beat Argentina. There was managerial game on AMSTRAD and playing Argentina Maradona always scored the winner with 2 minutes to go. EVERY. ****ING. TIME. Broke my little heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Peter Shilton.... seems like such a bitter old man. And he's pro Brexit!

Well fúck 'im then! And does his missus know that? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

greenspurs wrote: »
    Oh look.. The scurrilous post delving into Maradonas private life was removed .....

I wonder why ??

because this is an RIP thread and people should have more class than to post allegations they can't back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Yeah I am little bemused by the sudden George Best love fest. Absolutely zero comparison in my books. Knocking in 6 goals against the mighty Northampton in a 3rd Rd FA Cup game ain't doing it for me.

Well both died on the same day, albeit 15 years apart. And if 6 against Northampton isn't good enough for you what about the two he scored against Benfica in Lisbon (aged about 12) to win a European Cup tie?

Bear in mind Benfica were one of the truly great teams of the 1960s. Twice EC winners (61 and 62) and runners up another three times (63,65,68).

I'd have Maradona ahead of Best, of course, but Georgie was a bit special.

Well both died on the same day, albeit 15 years apart. And if 6 against Northampton isn't good enough for you what about the two he scored against Benfica in Lisbon (aged about 12) to win a European Cup tie?

Bear in mind Benfica were one of the truly great teams of the 1960s. Twice EC winners (61 and 62) and runners up another three times (63,65,68).

I'd have Maradona ahead of Best, of course, but Georgie was a bit special.

I think most people would agree with that assessment. It's always a bit pointless comparing players and teams from different generations.

I really can't see a player coming in the future who will dominate the way Pele, Messi, Maradona did. There is no world class 18 year old genius leaving the world slack jawed at the moment.

Mbabbe and Haaland are OK but they are nowhere near that stratospheric level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

US2 wrote: »

In fairness Messi was playing against a crap Getafe side and Maradona was up against a very good England side in the most important football match of a lifetime for Argentina.

As an aside and without dragging the thread off course Messi will always be an all time great but never at Maradona's level as he never dragged his country to a world cup win but also and more importantly never tested himself away from Barcelona. I've always rated what Maradona did in Naples as his ultimate achievement and mark of the man. It's no joke to say it would be like Messi moving to a Real Betis or Getafe now and winning them the league, twice.

Actually Maradona's achievement would still be greater given how poor both Real Madrid and Barcelona are at present and how all conquering Juve and Milan where in Maradona's era.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

seamus wrote: »
    Maybe that's it. Anything I would have heard about it would have come from an Irish perspective, so there was probably considerable schaudenfraude about the goal and the Irish really enjoyed how much it irked the Brits.

Not just the Irish.
    Most of the major powers especially those in Europe could not stand the English as every time their fans or their clubs fans visited their countries they caused riots.

sport-football-pic-1980-european-championship-in-turin-england-1-v-1-picture-id78988597

I remember watching Euros 1980 and Italian riot police firing teargas and charging through stand during England Belgium match.

I can still picture ref offering hankerchief to I think Ray Clemence as he was affected by tear gas.

Two bitter oul bollox's because Maradona ran rings around them in front of the world. That's why. Christ lads build a bridge....

Remember his 2nd goal against them in WC86? He opened up England's mighty defense like it was a grown man playing against toddlers.

This is why a lot of English don't like him.

:pac:

To be fair a lot of English rate him as world's greatest and voted his second goal best one ever.

The thing that the English rarely ever point out is the amount of times they fouled him in that match, including a few elbows to the head.

Fecks sake if it was today they would have 2 or 3 players sent off.

Maradona's personal demons are well documented. More documented than most. Hell, even our own Paul McGrath admitted to playing PL games either still pissed or hungover.

What is annoying is how Maradona was thrown under the bus in 1994. This whole "high on drugs" etc, the apparent crazy goal celebrations is just a load of tabloid bollocks

I read the official FIFA report. Maradona was explicitly cleared of cheating or attempting to cheat. It was a complete fcuk up. The Ladybook version:

Maradona had a personal trainer in a bid to help him get fit for the WC. This personal trainer was a former South American body building champion. The trainer had Maradona on dietery supplements etc. All perfectly legal and above board.

When they got to Boston, the personal trainer had ran out of a particular supplement and literally walked into a pharmacy in Boston and picked up the next best thing as a subtitute. Now this substitute contained ephedrine which is a common ingredient found in every bathroom cabinet up and down the country and used to unblock noses.

Every team doctor is given a list before a tournement with a list of banned substances. Like TUIs in cycling etc if a player is on mediciation etc then this is declared. But because Maradona had a personal trainer he was not given the list and had no idea as he had no communication with the official Argentinian team doctor. Sounds mad now but this was 26 years ago.

The fcuk up was that the personal trainer gave Maradona this supplement which inadvertently triggered the positive result. It was not an attempt to cheat and FIFA acknowledged this.

If it had actually been declared beforehand there would have been zero problem. It sounds comical and almost unbelievable but this is all from the official FIFA Report.

The personal trainer was also banned for his part and in fact the report has harsher words for the trainer and the Argentinian FA for not policing the matter better.

Oh yes. Ephedrine is a stimulant and not a drug but of course that does not stop the whole "druggy" narrative. A failed drugs test gets you a 4 year ban in athletics. A stimulant result gets you a 3 month ban but yet Maradona was handed the same suspension as the cocaine test in 1991.

By contrast the Spanish player Camacho tested positive for the exact same substance at the 86 WC but got a slap on the wirst after blagging his way out it. No suspension or anything of the sort.

spook_cook wrote: »
    I really have to ask how old you are. It's only tens years since all the wailing over being the "33rd team" embarrassment.

No idea what this means

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I think most people would agree with that assessment. It's always a bit pointless comparing players and teams from different generations.

I really can't see a player coming in the future who will dominate the way Pele, Messi, Maradona did. There is no world class 18 year old genius leaving the world slack jawed at the moment.

Mbabbe and Haaland are OK but they are nowhere near that stratospheric level.

To stand out now you need olympic sprinter speed, magnificent two footed skills and unbelievable strength to overcome tackles from beasts like Virgil VD. To have all this, and the football nous needed to stand out at the very top ... at only 18... is going to be very hard to find again in my opinion.

spook_cook wrote: »
    That pretty much answers my question then, thanks.

So you're.pretty.much talking yourself then

Fine by me

Well, Paolo Maldini said he was the best player he ever faced. That's good enough for me.

• Advertisement

For a time certain commentators in the England tried to claim that the second goal was in fact an OG by Butcher.

So they squared the hole:

"The first goal should never have been allowed- blatant hand ball and Butcher scored the second goal when he slid in. So really Maradona never legitimately scored against us ergo we won."

Agree

Funny thing is A Young Michael Owen scored a similar type of goal at WC 1998 against the Argies , for “Engerland”

The Owen goal was not similar to the Maradona goal. The Owen goal was just pace and a good finish.

The Maradona goal he had to take the ball from his own half, back to goal, pivot and turn, beat half the England team, then go round the keeper and keep his head to finish while getting raked down the back of his leg in a last ditch attempt to concede a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I wonder why ??
    because this is an RIP thread and people should have more class than to post allegations they can't back up.

I meant that because of who posted it, it was just removed .

It was very tasteless, and a bit petty, and without foundation....

Amazing anecdotes, and stories from so many players about D.A.M , just goes to show how fcuking special he was on the pitch..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

even his name is fcuking special.

Don't think "Nigel Smith" would have been a world class footballer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU9kactY4Yc

1990 Napoli (as reigning champs) v AC Milan

This is a great ding dong battle. Mightly stuff- not a free flowing 4-4 draw but just the way everything is a battle. Quality.

You can see the way Milan are pretty damn quick to close down Maradona. I watched that great Milan team a lot but you never saw them having to react so quick to an opposition player like they do here. Just shows you the respect/fear they afforded him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU9kactY4Yc

1990 Napoli (as reigning champs) v AC Milan

This is a great ding dong battle. Mightly stuff- not a free flowing 4-4 draw but just the way everything is a battle. Quality.

You can see the way Milan are pretty damn quick to close down Maradona. I watched that great Milan team a lot but you never saw them having to react so quick to an opposition player like they do here. Just shows you the respect/fear they afforded him.

What a player Ruud Gullit was as well. Majestic. The Italian league was really on another level from the mid 80's to the early/mid 90's.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    In fairness Messi was playing against a crap Getafe side and Maradona was up against a very good England side in the most important football match of a lifetime for Argentina.

As an aside and without dragging the thread off course Messi will always be an all time great but never at Maradona's level as he never dragged his country to a world cup win but also and more importantly never tested himself away from Barcelona. I've always rated what Maradona did in Naples as his ultimate achievement and mark of the man. It's no joke to say it would be like Messi moving to a Real Betis or Getafe now and winning them the league, twice.

Actually Maradona's achievement would still be greater given how poor both Real Madrid and Barcelona are at present and how all conquering Juve and Milan where in Maradona's era.

Agreed, he did what he did against the Juventus of Platini, and the great AC Milan side of the late 80's (Gullit, Van Basten and Co.).

I think your Real Betis/Getafe analogy is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I meant that because of who posted it, it was just removed .

It was very tasteless, and a bit petty, and without foundation....

Amazing anecdotes, and stories from so many players about D.A.M , just goes to show how fcuking special he was on the pitch..

Agreed. It was an arsehole comment. If it was a non-mod they would have been banned immediately.

Pretty sad that an RIP thread about the greatest footballer of all time gets the eternal whingers shuffling to their keyboards to start slagging. if you want to attack his character / personal life do it on another thread. Have some shred of respect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Andre Villas Boas thinks Fifa should get all teams should retire the number ten shirt. Whilst I am very saddened by Diego's loss, I think this is a tad over the top.
    https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/diego-maradona-andre-villas-boas-calls-for-fifa-to-retire-no10-for-every-club

• Advertisement

GT89 wrote: »
    Andre Villas Boas thinks Fifa should get all teams should retire the number ten shirt. Whilst I am very saddened by Diego's loss, I think this is a tad over the top.
    https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/diego-maradona-andre-villas-boas-calls-for-fifa-to-retire-no10-for-every-club

Yeah while I am deeply saddened that is completely OTT. What happens when Pele dies...

The #10 should be kept on even as a testament to Maradona to remind us of his talent and how lucky we were to have him warts and all...

Advertisement