Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diego Armando Maradona 1960 - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The true stamp of greatness - getting slagged off by Eamon Dunphy.

Dunphy is wrong about everything nearly all of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Never has the phrase "Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam" seemed more apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Even a tennis ball...even recently

A sad sight though!

Maybe I missed the joke but that's from a film :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I don't have many sporting heroes, but Maradona was one of them.

Enrxxr3WMAI4mST?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

sydthebeat wrote: »
    who would have though in 1997, when he retired, that he would be dead before Pele ???

I think everyone. I did see him personally about 20 years ago I could never thought that man was 40 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The recent film documentary about him was great. It centred around his time in Naples after his heroics at Mexico 86. He was a god there and was sad to see the Italians boo him in the final in 90 after Argentina knocked them out in the semis. Although it was funny to see, as his National anthem played as the players lined up in the final and the Italian support booing it, he was saying “ye sons of bi+ches....”. What a character.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

seamus wrote: »
    I always found it bizarre how much the "hand of god" incident was applauded and celebrated in the football world as an iconic goal.

It was blatant cheating in front of a global audience and in the highest competition the sport has. It should have been vilified as a dismal failure of the officials and an alarm bell about how normalised cheating and foul play had become in the sport - anything goes so long as you can get away with it.

The other goal he scored in that game though, that was something else.

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

It certainly was blatant cheating, but it is still iconic - one of the most famous goals in history.

I honestly can't remember it being applauded in too many quarters.

But I think it resonates a bit still with people because it gets to the heart of the mystique of Maradonna: the sublime genius mixed with the darkness. Of course he would have to score perhaps literally the greatest goal of all time in the exact same match.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Another example of a fine talent fckued up by drugs.

When i see his name two things spring to mind, hand of god (cheater) and drugs. Not the legacy he could have left but those were his choices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

RIP - one of the last of the living legends, drinking scoops with Paidí o Sé tonight, the dudes won't know themselves.

BN-UT179_0818DI_H_20170818194712.jpgMaradona-web-2-750x392.jpgmaradona-mural-argentinos-juniors-stadium-buenos-aires-buenosairesstreetart.com_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He ran around a field and kicked a ball and got paid silly money for it. Fair play to him for making a life out of that but it's hardly a real job is it.

Anyway RIP to him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

The best of all time and a character leading napoli to those league titles and Argentinas world cups cements his place as the greatest player to have played the game

Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Saw him in the San Paulo stadium in 1990 v Soviet Union. Great team, Jorge, Canniga, Batista, Maradona, class team. Argentina 2 USSR 0.

Lucky enough to be based in Paestum, just outside Naples and went down with a crowd of lads from Ferbane to see the great Maradona in his adopted city.

Great times to be an Irish supporter.

6 wrote: »
    Doubt he was partying too hard as a toddler

ok, 40 or so years.

Of course he was also a very fit man in his twenties, maybe not as fit as footballers today but fitter than most men his age. Cocaine and alcohol are not a good mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Anniepowaa

_Brian wrote: »

When i see his name two things spring to mind, hand of god (cheater) and drugs. Not the legacy he could have left but those were his choices.

Ha legacy he could have left? He's the most iconic footballer to exist you clown

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Anniepowaa wrote: »
    Ha legacy he could have left? He's the most iconic footballer to exist you clown

Cheats and druggies don’t do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Diego's passing was the top story on Nuacht RTÉ this evening. RIP to the hand of god. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Still think that would be given as a Terry Butcher own goal nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

An absolute magician with a football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Best I've seen. Sad day. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Seen him play at Hampden in the late 70's as a young lad with my dad. Can't say he made an impression in my mind at the time because i was in awe of seeing Kenny Dalglish in the flesh but i do remember my dad raving about him. Probably didn't help that i was only 7 at the time and couldn't see much unless i got on the auld lads shoulders either.

Anyway in my mind the greatest ever for what he achieved with Napoli and of course Argentina . R.I.P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Cheats and druggies don’t do it for me.

Oh do grow up.

He came from nothing and became the most famous footballer on the planet. He must have been under extraordinary pressure as a human being.

Have some perspective for goodness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

He'll never be matched for the talent, personality and moments of brilliance he created.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rip legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Oh do grow up.

He came from nothing and became the most famous footballer on the planet. He must have been under extraordinary pressure as a human being.

Have some perspective for goodness sake.

The likes of Maradona can be put alongside those other chipped geniuses such as Best or Alex Higgins. I actually think their failings makes them all the more appealing.
    I thought he was great regardless of what the perfectionists feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

His last comments were that he would like to score against England again , this time with his right hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Don't mean to be insensitive but does this sad news warrant being the main headline on both the main evening news bulletins, just seems extraordinary with what is going on in the world but more importantly closer to home, Patricia Carrick"s Death, 2 homeless men found dead on the streets of our capital city (One just a few yards from the Dail)

Maybe I'm wrong but WTF is going on in the crazy world.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,277 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I always think football genius when I see his name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

The greatest talent the game has ever seen.... Remember Monday nights back in the mid 80's and watching Italian football highlights on RTE 2... What a league that was back then, full of the worlds greatest players and Maradona was head and shoulders above every other player in the League.........

Rip.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

The greatest ever.

Advertisement