Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭REDBULL68

The Boot Inn, is a listed structure dating from the early 16th century, and older portions from the 13th century, if the DAA even touch it ,its a court case ,big time .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Karppi

16/34 cannot be used in combination with the parallels for exactly the same reason I set out above.

Also, 05/23 closed in 1989, when the (now) 28L/10R opened and annual passenger numbers were around 5m. (It takes around 6 weeks in summer to exceed 5m now). 29/11 closed in 2007. That’s what happens in airport development, and was envisaged in 1969. All the land for the north parallel runway was owned by the airport. That’s Long Range planning. There’s no hankering back to the old layout of a triangle of grass runways from the 1930s Those days are long gone.

Post edited by Karppi on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

seen as we are in the realms of talking about what coulda shoulda woulda.

I always think the DAA should expand the airfield into the Blue car park, removing it entirely. Removing the R108, continuing the Harristown Road out to the R122

Turning this large long plot of land into the Cargo area.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Listed structures can and have been removed or demolished if needs be. It is not like they would be touching it without planning permission to do so but there is (correctly) very little chance it would stand in the way of such vital infrastructure if needs be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Qaanaaq

All of North County Dublin is very good soil, yet there are massive housing projects still being built. Its historically the vegetable garden for Dublin.

Corballis house wasn't as historic as they thought, once they took it apart. I'm sure the Boot Inn will get preserved.

Also what is the point of posting on a discussion forum if you just want a one way dialogue? It's not discussion, it's just talking to yourself.

Post edited by Qaanaaq on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Fingal CoCo's county development plan prevents the change of use of any land to airport parking. DCC and what was QuickPark can continue but nothing new will be zoned that way. That just leaves nearby hotels to operate some limited amount of airport parking but they generally need the space for paying guests, not just cars.

I'm not sure if DCC have the same prohibitions but I'd imagine they take the same approach if any change of use was submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

Correctly? It’s part of our heritage.

I apologise if I seem passionate about this, but I do have an interest in archaeology and conservation of historic structures, and I know it’s a slippery slope if you condemn one historic building just because of infrastructure needs.

Where do you stop? Demolish the GPO to build apartments? Bulldoze Newgrange to build a housing estate?

Hence why the Boot Inn which is a very old and important building should be preserved at all costs.

Exactly my point. I have been an advocate for enforced green belts in Fingal for years. Swords is already too big. There should be an immediate moratorium on developments in the area to allow it to consolidate and the community to mature and use the infrastructure available.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭gossamerfabric

The public good outweighs your desire to maintain old buildings. The old terminal should have been torn down, if need be rebuilt block by block elsewhere because where it is at present causes millions of passengers a kilometre or more on each trip through the airport. That parcel of land on which the airport sits is Ireland's path to the world outside.

• Advertisement

I think that comparing the Boot to the GPO building is a bit of a stretch, let alone Newgrange.

As has been said already, there is a mechanism within the Planning legislation to document, preserve (not necessarily on site) anything of historical significance (I seem to recall that some plaster mouldings from Corballis House are preserved somewhere) and demolish. I have no doubt that, come the time, daa will apply for permission to demolish it.

Nope, if anything it should be refurbished/extended.

T2 is the terminal that in theory needs to be moved, to the north apron.

You are just interested in what pleases you aesthetically without regard to practicalities...An an Taisce adherent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Economics101

So do Fingal CC not only want a passenger numbers cap allegedly because of road access problems, they would seem to want to stymie access further by restricting car parking.

It is crazy that one local authority can strangle Ireland's majot acces to the rest of the world.

To be clear, and to avoid any confusion, this is where T2 should be

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Just to clarify before I reply, do you mean T1 or the original 1940s building called the Old Central Terminal Building?

The art deco building of considerable architectural significance

I'm afraid that's a worse location. You could only get a single sided pier associated with that location. In fact, if you were hellbent on building a terminal there, you'd try to associate it with Pier 1 (aka Pier D) which would require the demolition of numerous hangars (which you would put where?) including the ones to the west (left) of those you have ringed. Take a look at this instead. You'd loose all the southside stands that currently support Pier 4.

Airport planning is not a simple "plonk it here" exercise

• Advertisement

So what? Your argument might have had some force 20+ years ago. T2 is where ir is: end of.

You can't unscramble this particular omlette.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭highdef

@dublincc2 , please tell me where the 5 storey shopping area is in T2? I've travelled through T2 numerous times and have only encountered a single storey of shopping, with a few eateries up on a mezzanine….are there another 3 storeys above that again that I have been somehow missing all this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

Newgrange, the GPO and The Boot Inn. Ireland's architectural and historical heritage big three, all of equal importance to the country and its people.

In centuries to come people will surely look back in horror at the idea people had of possibly altering The Boot Inn's brilliance.

To just round this up instead of repeating myself, T2 should’ve been built on the north apron, Pier C (which iirc was relatively new) should never have been demolished and Pier D never extended to make 05/23 unusable.

This is water under the bridge now, I am simply trying to highlight how shortsighted the DAA have been with regards to infrastructure development.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have repeated yourself over and over, all the while ignoring that your proposed location for T2 is appalling.

Like I have said, it’s water under the bridge and T2 is where it is, but it would simply have been better placed on the north apron. I fail to see how any issues with location couldn’t be remedied. It very clearly has a shorter taxiway to 10/28R and 05/23.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

C'mon lads, don't give the troll oxygen and it'll soon smother with boredom (and lack of attention). A quick glance at posts in other forums should be enough to tell you what you're dealing with.

Would there ever be consideration for a parallel 05/23?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭dublin12367

On a different note, passenger numbers up 9% in March to 2.6m. Boosted by an Early Easter. Cap severely under pressure now!

Advertisement