Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jr86 wrote: »
    I see they've fixed hurling matches now Monday. I'd imagine most will be postponed to week after though

A lot of those Saturday football matches did not get ahead (assume because of weather). However, I see they are now re-fixed for 12 / 1230 on Sunday which means anybody atteneding them cant go to Omagh! I'd have thought that putting them on Saturday would make more sense. There are a load of minor football matches fixed for Sunday as well while not many football fixtures on the Saturday! Maybe I am missing something but this does not seem too logical to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

I suspect Silke may be the only one of them who starts for Galway this year. And it could be at number 4.

I fear you're right because Walsh is safety first and not interested in players bombing up the wing for fear of risking a turnover

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Walsh does seem to put a lot of faith in how a player is going in training/current form. Just look at the disbelief in here last year about Thomas Flynn being picked to start against Mayo. At least I think it was Thomas Flynn, there was definitely eyebrows raised anyway.

There aren't many players you could argue are nailed on to start between 5 and 12 if Walsh has a full panel come summertime. Heaney and Flynn I'd say. Beyond that every position comes with a "but what about so and so" attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

grbear wrote: »
    Walsh does seem to put a lot of faith in how a player is going in training/current form. Just look at the disbelief in here last year about Thomas Flynn being picked to start against Mayo. At least I think it was Thomas Flynn, there was definitely eyebrows raised anyway.

There aren't many players you could argue are nailed on to start between 5 and 12 if Walsh has a full panel come summertime. Heaney and Flynn I'd say. Beyond that every position comes with a "but what about so and so" attached.

Great way to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

grbear wrote: »

Absolutely. I had heard Flynn was flying in training prior to that game but it was still a huge surprise to see him start after the league. Good way to be. Funnily enough I'd say Heaneys position, and wing back as a whole, will be one of the hardest to obtain. He generally plays 3 in midfield in championship so out of maybe 3 wing backs / working half forward, you've Molloy, Wall, Kelly, Heaney, McDaid, O'Donnell, Bradshaw (if he goes Daly at CB), Silke (if he sees him as a half back over cb), Brannigan. We were probably light in that area in previous years so nice to have options and go with form players

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Absolutely. I had heard Flynn was flying in training prior to that game but it was still a huge surprise to see him start after the league. Good way to be. Funnily enough I'd say Heaneys position, and wing back as a whole, will be one of the hardest to obtain. He generally plays 3 in midfield in championship so out of maybe 3 wing backs / working half forward, you've Molloy, Wall, Kelly, Heaney, McDaid, O'Donnell, Bradshaw (if he goes Daly at CB), Silke (if he sees him as a half back over cb), Brannigan. We were probably light in that area in previous years so nice to have options and go with form players

I'd worry about Daly physically for the CB position. You need a physically imposing player to stop strong running teams barging through you up the centre. Its too late now but I'd still prefer Kyne or even Duane in that position.

threeball wrote: »
    I'd worry about Daly physically for the CB position. You need a physically imposing player to stop strong running teams barging through you up the centre. Its too late now but I'd still prefer Kyne or even Duane in that position.

Maybe you will be proven right in time. However, from what I have seen of him so far at 6, I would give him a shot there. I'd certainly start him there v Tyrone. Duane had a lot of chances at 6 in the past (admittedly not recently) and failed to claim that position. I suspect that the next location for Kyne is on the bench rather than the pivotal no. 6 role!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I suspect that the next location for Kyne is on the bench rather than the pivotal no. 6 role!

I think he'll have his work cut out to start this year. I heard both Silkes have been called in aswell.

jr86 wrote: »
    I think he'll have his work cut out to start this year. I heard both Silkes have been called in aswell.

Surprised Cathal Silke is in there. He was in there before but I am not sure he made an impact to even make the bench that year.

Maybe you will be proven right in time. However, from what I have seen of him so far at 6, I would give him a shot there. I'd certainly start him there v Tyrone. Duane had a lot of chances at 6 in the past (admittedly not recently) and failed to claim that position. I suspect that the next location for Kyne is on the bench rather than the pivotal no. 6 role!

I'm not suggesting he should be switched out now, he hasn't done anything that would justify that but I would wonder if it might quickly become a problem. The Tyrone game should give an indicator. If we're up for it we could see a game not a million miles off championship pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Galway Hurling team to face Waterford
    #AllianzLeagues Semi final
    1 F Flannery, 2 P Killeen, 3 R Burke,
    4 D Morrissey, 5 A Harte, 6 P Mannion,
    7 G McInerney, 8 C Mannion, 9 J Coen
    10 N Burke, 11 J Canning, 12 K Hussey, 13 C Whelan, 14 B Concannon,
    15 D Glennon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Galway Senior Football team v. Tyrone
    #AllianzLeagues
    R Lavelle, E Kerin, SA O'Ceallaigh, D Wynne, G O'Donnell, J Daly, G Bradshaw, T Flynn, C Duggan, P Cooke, S Walsh, J Heaney, D Cummins, M Daly, A O'Laoí.

RMAOK wrote: »
    Galway Senior Football team v. Tyrone
    #AllianzLeagues
    R Lavelle, E Kerin, SA O'Ceallaigh, D Wynne, G O'Donnell, J Daly, G Bradshaw, T Flynn, C Duggan, P Cooke, S Walsh, J Heaney, D Cummins, M Daly, A O'Laoí.

If that team starts, O'Donnell could be considered lucky to retain his place above Kelly.

RMAOK wrote: »
    Galway Hurling team to face Waterford
    #AllianzLeagues Semi final
    1 F Flannery, 2 P Killeen, 3 R Burke,
    4 D Morrissey, 5 A Harte, 6 P Mannion,
    7 G McInerney, 8 C Mannion, 9 J Coen
    10 N Burke, 11 J Canning, 12 K Hussey, 13 C Whelan, 14 B Concannon,
    15 D Glennon.

Unrecognizable from the team that won the all Ireland and got to last year's. I don't think any other county has seen such an influx of new blood and positional changes.
    Last year we had no depth, this year we should have plenty by the looks of things.

If that team starts, O'Donnell could be considered lucky to retain his place above Kelly.

Is Comer out much longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

threeball wrote:
    Is Comer out much longer?

Comer is probably aiming for around the Connacht final.

Comer is probably aiming for around the Connacht final.

Hasn’t really been missed. Too much focus on him when he plays. Love to see him play in the half back line

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Hasn’t really been missed. Too much focus on him when he plays. Love to see him play in the half back line

I agree that for all the talk about him he doesn't bring enough scoring threat. It rarely breaks 2pts a game. Given the reputation you'd be expecting 4 to 5. Most of the other forwards often outscore him.
    Next year should suit him down to the ground if they bring in the advanced Mark. I definitely think he needs to contribute more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

BENDYBINN wrote: »

Still our only forward who gave real trouble to Dublin last year. On limited ball. Would like him to get his head up a bit more at times but he's still a huge weapon if used right.

There were periods in both the league final and All Ireland semi final when the Dublin full-back line couldn't handle him at all but then the amount of ball coming in dried up completely.

Still our only forward who gave real trouble to Dublin last year. On limited ball. Would like him to get his head up a bit more at times but he's still a huge weapon if used right.

Also, every team that plays Galway with Comer in it has a specific plan for how to deal with him (e.g. by double marking him or a sweeper in front etc.) which often means other players benefit more from Comer being on the team

• Advertisement

Also, every team that plays Galway with Comer in it has a specific plan for how to deal with him (e.g. by double marking him or a sweeper in front etc.) which often means other players benefit more from Comer being on the team

That’s the problem...every ball is played into him ,makes the other forwards redundant and easy to defend for opponents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

For those of us that can't make the matches today the Tyrone match is on TG4's youtube player streaming live.

The hurling is live on TG4 at 3.30.

Best of luck to both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Molloy is togged

This ref is annoying me already.

Two kickable frees he's given them were laughable and we get our first after 9 mins despite some obvious ones.

If this were any slower the grass would be growing quicker. Only one injecting any pace is Walsh and he's dropping his customary shots short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

threeball wrote: »
    If this were any slower the grass would be growing quicker. Only one injecting any pace is Walsh and he's dropping his customary shots short.

Doing ok now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

This is nothing short of a fantastic performance in the first half. Walsh is one of the best players in Ireland at present and Cummins continues to amaze with how he overcomes his lack of height in the air. Keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

When we get going we're hard to stop. Johnny Heaney and Danny outstanding once again but Shane is just a different class, his pace is incredible. Hopefully we keep this going for the second half, promising stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Big second half needed but not one poster can say they haven't been much more attacking in the League this year.

Heaney is everywhere and Shaney a different level to everybody else.

Definitely goals in Tyrone imo.

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This is nothing short of a fantastic performance in the first half. Walsh is one of the best players in Ireland at present and Cummins continues to amaze with how he overcomes his lack of height in the air. Keep it up

Anytime we go at them with pace it's like the opening of the red sea. When we start pissin about on the 45 it's getting turned over. Walsh leading the way with Heaney covering serious ground. Hate seeing Daly going back to the full back line. He's not suited to that any more than comer is.

Advertisement