Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

cosatron wrote: »
    Be under no illusions that David Morris is responsible for corofin style of play. How his not in with Kevin Walsh is beyond me.

Unfortunately even if he was he wouldn't be listened to. I saw an article on rte yesterday with KW doubling down on his style of play. We'll all have to wait til next year for this team to start realising it's potential.
    He is with the Hurlers though.

cosatron wrote: »
    His stats with galway hurlers and coach with corofin. I think David burkes and conor cooneys legs are gone, I hope I'm wrong but they we very poor today

I can see how father time might have caught up with David Burke but Conor Cooney is a mystery. Shot the lights out in 17. Potential hurler of the year. Couldn't put one foot in front of the other last year or this.

spurshero wrote: »
    Only heard there about eanna Burke . Wish him a speedy recovery . Just goes to show gaa is only a game . Was giving out earlier about tommies being poor but that preparation can’t have being easy .

What happened him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Robson99 wrote: »
    Neither have hurled well since the 17 final

Cooney had some great games for Thomas's in the Galway championship last year

Wasn't great today or with the county last year, but I still think he has potentially plenty to offer

David Burke looked to be carrying an injury today, was slow and ponderous throughout

Shane Cooney will be looked at in Leinster surely

Hard luck to Tom's. Tough luck to lose Kenneth Burke before the final. Eanna Burke before throw in and Fintan Burke in the middle of the match itself. Difficult for a small club to lose talent like that and be able to replace them.

I'm not convinced David Burke is fully fit either. He didn't seem to be moving all that well today for a lad who usually glides over the turf.

Actually was just chatting to someone who'd be big into the hurling in Galway but he reckoned David Burke has done very little since the semi where he picked up a knock. Would explain a lot tbh

Kenneth was also a huge loss as well

They had two county minor all Ireland winners last year who are free to join the squad now for 2019 so that should help with depth.

But they really can't do without many given their playing pool.

Anyone know where goalkeeper Patrick skehill has been all year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

threeball wrote: »
    What happened him?

Pm

Whispers going round of Fintan Burke cruciate . Will be some blow to himself Galway and Thomas’s if true

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Well done Corofin, absolute class.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Unfortunately Thomas' lads lost sight of what it takes. When you see must of the team in 'recovery chambers' few days before of a game, you know they've lost the run of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Whispers going round of Fintan Burke cruciate . Will be some blow to himself Galway and Thomas’s if true

Looked serious straight away. I'm still mad they stuck bandages on his knee and put him back out there.

Was destined to be a big player for Galway this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

Pm

Could you pm me also?

Eanna seems a gent

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Unfortunately Thomas' lads lost sight of what it takes. When you see must of the team in 'recovery chambers' few days before of a game, you know they've lost the run of themselves.

Personally don't think there's any need for such comments "lost the run of themselves" "lost sight of what it takes". Very easy to take unfounded digs behind a keyboard

They were always going to be hugely up against it. Their talisman got a horror injury in the semi, it only emerged yesterday to many that one of their county players would be missing and why, and no doubt this would have truly affected their build up.

This is completely once in a lifetime stuff for them. They do trojan work in the area to simply field teams at underage. When Kenneth burke first started they were a middle of the road intermediate side. No-one in the club would ever dream they could actually make senior all Ireland finals

They took a hiding yesterday and are no doubt feeling terrible, criticising the performance is one thing, but criticising their attitude in the build up is out of order when frankly unless you're in the squad/ management team youve no idea.

Just my 2c - zero connection to the club

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Very well said. They let nobody down n should be proud of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

conor05 wrote: »
    Could you pm me also?

Eanna seems a gent

U might also pm me thanks

Frozen Veg wrote: »

They owe nothing to Galway hurling . Win an all Ireland few years ago And there will be nobody more disappointed with yesterday then themselves . They had a tough build up and they don’t deserved to be kicked when there down

They owe nothing to Galway hurling . Win an all Ireland few years ago And there will be nobody more disappointed with yesterday then themselves . They had a tough build up and they don’t deserved to be kicked when there down

Hear hear

These things happen. Even this great Corofin team were outclassed two years ago in the semi final, by - guess who - Dr Crokes. Every team has its bad days on the field but it doesn't make them a bad side overall

I've no doubt there's still more county titles in Thomas's and who knows where that will take them. They could have more rattles at another all Ireland yet

In a way it's no bad thing (injuries aside) the Galway championship is back so soon. I'm sure they're all keen to put yesterday behind them and get out hurling again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Pm

Would you mind sending me a pm about that as well please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Looked serious straight away. I'm still mad they stuck bandages on his knee and put him back out there.

Was destined to be a big player for Galway this year.

I'd say it might have been his own call to continue on; I really doubt they'd ask him to play on without he himself indicating that he would try. Really hope it's nothing more serious than a strained hamstring.

MfMan wrote: »
    I'd say it might have been his own call to continue on; I really doubt they'd ask him to play on without he himself indicating that he would try. Really hope it's nothing more serious than a strained hamstring.

Yeah sub had jacket off and was ready to go on so definitely not management's call to keep him on I'd say

Hopefully nothing serious, I recall he missed county semi with concussion, bad run of luck for a young lad

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

What a football performance from corofin .
    The high skill level was a joy to watch .
    The movement from the corofin players was unbelievable .
    They obviously are an extremely well coached team.
    That's the good part ....NOW
    WHAT THE HELL ARE GALWAY FOOTBALL MANGEMENT AT ???
    Galway football supporters would rather galway lost playing the corofin brand of football than the rubbish they are constantly been fed every time they play .
    What galway needs is proper COACHING ...it's obvious the talent is there but yesterday proved THE RIGHT MAN ISNT IN CHARGE !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

What a football performance from corofin . The high skill level was a joy to watch . The movement from the corofin players was unbelievable . They obviously are an extremely well coached team. That's the good part ....NOW WHAT THE HELL ARE GALWAY FOOTBALL MANGEMENT AT ??? Galway football supporters would rather galway lost playing the corofin brand of football than the rubbish they are constantly been fed every time they play . What galway needs is proper COACHING ...it's obvious the talent is there but yesterday proved THE RIGHT MAN ISNT IN CHARGE !!!!

Corofin are a club playing club teams. Horses for courses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

What a football performance from corofin . The high skill level was a joy to watch . The movement from the corofin players was unbelievable . They obviously are an extremely well coached team. That's the good part ....NOW WHAT THE HELL ARE GALWAY FOOTBALL MANGEMENT AT ??? Galway football supporters would rather galway lost playing the corofin brand of football than the rubbish they are constantly been fed every time they play . What galway needs is proper COACHING ...it's obvious the talent is there but yesterday proved THE RIGHT MAN ISNT IN CHARGE !!!!

I'd rather win. But thanks for speaking for all Galway fans. If you want moral victories speak to our near neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

What's that got to do with playing a style of football !!!
    A blind man could see the 3 or 4 corofin players that would /should walk onto the present day galway football team .
    It's obvious
    A former great player for a county/ doesn't mean that person is or can can make a good coach .
    Nothing to do with HORSES FOR COURSES !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

conor05 wrote:
    Could you pm me also?

Could someone pm me the story as well?

Galway scores 1 17 in poor conditions sat . They have played a bit more open in there last 2 games . They have a chance of getting to a league final if they beat Tyrone . They have been missing so many players during league that most on here were just hoping to avoid relegation . I’m not sure what people want . I personally think when they get all players back we could be thereabouts in summer . Dublin would be hot favs to beat us but after that we have as good as chance as anybody imo . To me at this stage people seem to be knocking Galway as it seems to be the In thing to do cause idiots like Brolly etc are saying it

Galway scores 1 17 in poor conditions sat . They have played a bit more open in there last 2 games . They have a chance of getting to a league final if they beat Tyrone . They have been missing so many players during league that most on here were just hoping to avoid relegation . I’m not sure what people want . I personally think when they get all players back we could be thereabouts in summer . Dublin would be hot favs to beat us but after that we have as good as chance as anybody imo . To me at this stage people seem to be knocking Galway as it seems to be the In thing to do cause idiots like Brolly etc are saying it

I think the main issue people have with the way we currently play is not so much the way we defend but the way we attack. It's too laborious. Tyrone attacked Dublin at pace the other night and won. Mayo attacked them at pace and just fell short in 2 all Irelands, Kerry attacked them at pace and beat them in a fiercely contested league game.
    Personally I think we have much better players than either Tyrone or Mayo and we're better balanced than Kerry who have the majority of their talent in the front 6. A small change of approach would yield huge benefits.

No one wants to ditch the defensive side as defence wins championships but we must transition with greater urgency. We already have the players in the panel to do this and are about to add Wall, Molloy and Silke. We saw what pace of transition looked like yesterday and what can yield. Long kick passes were the preferred method of moving the ball. There was always a runner off the shoulder. They only moved across the 45 to change the angle of attack and it was rare. There's no reason we couldn't do the same. Theoretically the players available to Walsh are superior to those available to Corofin.

threeball wrote: »
    I think the main issue people have with the way we currently play is not so much the way we defend but the way we attack. It's too laborious. Tyrone attacked Dublin at pace the other night and won. Mayo attacked them at pace and just fell short in 2 all Irelands, Kerry attacked them at pace and beat them in a fiercely contested league game.
    Personally I think we have much better players than either Tyrone or Mayo and we're better balanced than Kerry who have the majority of their talent in the front 6. A small change of approach would yield huge benefits.

No one wants to ditch the defensive side as defence wins championships but we must transition with greater urgency. We already have the players in the panel to do this and are about to add Wall, Molloy and Silke. We saw what pace of transition looked like yesterday and what can yield. Long kick passes were the preferred method of moving the ball. There was always a runner off the shoulder. They only moved across the 45 to change the angle of attack and it was rare. There's no reason we couldn't do the same. Theoretically the players available to Walsh are superior to those available to Corofin.

I would agree with a lot of that In fairness. But I’m hoping that we’re building for a big summer . As I said earlier I think in last 2 games we have used ball and being a bit more direct and I’m hoping we will continue to be more direct . The players available to Walsh would be stronger overall to those available to corofin but they would also be playing stronger opposition in fairness . Anyway we will see how it goes in Tyrone and go from there .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Was my first thought when it happened unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Robert2014

Congratulations to Corofin and hard luck to Thomas's. Hopefully some of the Corofin lads can go on and be integrated into the senior county team. Having some members of the squad that go up to Croke park expecting to win can't help!

In particular I hope Silke, Molloy and Wall can be brought in to support the weakest part of our team. It's great to have Division 1 status confirmed and a potential final place with one game to go. It will be hard in Omagh but with away wins in Monaghan and Mayo we should be optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Robert2014 wrote: »
    Congratulations to Corofin and hard luck to Thomas's. Hopefully some of the Corofin lads can go on and be integrated into the senior county team. Having some members of the squad that go up to Croke park expecting to win can't help!

In particular I hope Silke, Molloy and Wall can be brought in to support the weakest part of our team. It's great to have Division 1 status confirmed and a potential final place with one game to go. It will be hard in Omagh but with away wins in Monaghan and Mayo we should be optimistic.

I suspect Silke may be the only one of them who starts for Galway this year. And it could be at number 4.

Advertisement