Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Pity she finished the way she finished.
    No one's fault but her own.

Pity it ended the way it did, but she was a phenomenal talent. I think it's doubtful that the Mayo ladies scene will ever produce such a player again. One of the greatest women to ever play the game, and one the greatest players to come out of Mayo, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PressRun wrote: »
    Pity it ended the way it did, but she was a phenomenal talent. I think it's doubtful that the Mayo ladies scene will ever produce such a player again. One of the greatest women to ever play the game, and one the greatest players to come out of Mayo, surely.

I do not believe in years to come it'll come to the tarnish her legacy.

She was a truly phenomenal player.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

seligehgit wrote:
    She was a truly phenomenal player.

seligehgit wrote:
    I do not believe in years to come it'll come to the tarnish her legacy.

I still think Horan should have played her!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

crusier wrote: »

Crusier, you're on a lot of people's ignore list for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Crusier, you're on a lot of people's ignore list for good reason.

So stop quoting him please !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

That was a great win for us on Saturday. It was a decent contest but the better team on the night won, we looked more battle hardened and up for it. I felt Horan could have made some subs earlier with Keegan and Boyler coming in sooner. Ruane's goal was very well taken and came at the right time. Thankfully we held on despite some pressure at the end. What's the thoughts on the blue jersey? I said it reminded me of Dublin and Rangers too much but was a fan of it by full-time!

Looking at next week, Monaghan won't be an easy game but it could be worse. It's out of our hands regarding what Galway and Kerry do but at least Roscommon and Tyrone both have their games at home, with something to play for. Things have a habit of working out well for us during the last round of the league, hopefully that's the case on Sunday. It would be great to be back in a league final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

crusier wrote: »
    Mod: crusier, do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

PressRun wrote: »

It's a shame that her last contribution to Mayo Ladies football was to roar at her Carnacon team mates "Are yee fooking coming or not!!??".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's a shame that her last contribution to Mayo Ladies football was to roar at her Carnacon team mates "Are yee fooking coming or not!!??".

I wonder what those Carnacon teammates are thinking now. The brinkmanship blew up in their collective face. The one who was pulling them with her has retired after having a full GAA career. Can they say that they've equally achieved their potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tml73

Has anyone had their season ticket attendance updated from Tralee yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Delighted to see the Mayo GAA post on Facebook re giving time to thank the fans. The supporters give up so much of their time, energy and finances to follow the team. Nice to see it’s appreciated. Very good performance overall in Kerry, think Aidan O’Shea and Ruane could be the way to go with Midfield. The forwards are still a concern for me though in a tight match come championship or against a blanket defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Call me Al wrote: »
    I wonder what those Carnacon teammates are thinking now. The brinkmanship blew up in their collective face. The one who was pulling them with her has retired after having a full GAA career. Can they say that they've equally achieved their potential?

Yes they made fools of themselves and brought a real divide to the team with accusations that could be interpreted in many forms.
    They will understand the meaning of "thinking for oneself". It's not the end for some once a new manager comes in but they will have to wait. It's a harsh lesson for them but I don't have any sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Carol25 wrote: »
    Delighted to see the Mayo GAA post on Facebook re giving time to thank the fans. The supporters give up so much of their time, energy and finances to follow the team. Nice to see it’s appreciated. Very good performance overall in Kerry, think Aidan O’Shea and Ruane could be the way to go with Midfield. The forwards are still a concern for me though in a tight match come championship or against a blanket defence.

O'Shea played some of his best football in midfield under Horan, but prior to Saturday Id have doubted he can still do a job there. Time will tell... at least they dont have to worry about replacing his scoring threat.

Id much rather see DOC there, but he seems to have been moved back into the forwards

Carol25 wrote: »

Indeed I saw that last night.Really nice gesture.

Lots of young and not so young fans I'm sure will be anxious to press the flesh with their heroes.

Here's hoping we'll have clinched a league final place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Green&Red wrote: »
    I’d expect Monaghan to beat us, they have something to play for where we have the chance to make the final, no matter how you try and get your head around it they have something tangible to play for and I think we’ll see that.

However, I’d be delighted if we did go to the final, a game in CP that’s not Dublin and a good chance at winning it, especially if it was Kerry in the final, beating them again would be a real boost for the summer, good to have them young lads used to seeing the green and red as a superior team

Agreed. That is generally how most league games go. The team that needs it generally get the win. We had won a few early on, then met dublin who were stuttering. They win well. Id say ditto for the galway game. We meet kerry and they are comfortable, we win it. Similarly we have survived several seasons in this manner. Monaghans need is greater, so unless they capitulate under the pressure, they probably win it.

The Kerry win has been overhyped, just like the losses were over-played. Over the course of 75 mins we go from being a team struggling and horan being questioned, to being real challengers and expected to contest semi finals and finals. The pundits are guilty of the same garbage also, which only underlines how little effort they actually put in. We'd be better served not reading so much into it, either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Agreed. That is generally how most league games go. The team that needs it generally get the win. We had won a few early on, then met dublin who were stuttering. They win well. Id say ditto for the galway game. We meet kerry and they are comfortable, we win it. Similarly we have survived several seasons in this manner. Monaghans need is greater, so unless they capitulate under the pressure, they probably win it.

but they won't 'need' to win it unless Roscommon beat Kerry. Of course they'll be telling themselves going into the game that anything's possible etc., but I don't think their play will have the real desperate edge of a true 'must win' game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

but they won't 'need' to win it unless Roscommon beat Kerry. Of course they'll be telling themselves going into the game that anything's possible etc., but I don't think their play will have the real desperate edge of a true 'must win' game.

They win and they are not relegated. Stands to reason they will be up for the game more than most games so far this year. I dont think mayo are as concerned with reaching the league final as monaghan will be to stay in D1

They win and they are not relegated. Stands to reason they will be up for the game more than most games so far this year. I dont think mayo are as concerned with reaching the league final as monaghan will be to stay in D1

TBH I don't buy that.:)

I'd like to think they'd be going all out to win it.Mayo should have no lesser an incentive to reach a league final.

A winners mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I've completely changed my mind
    I hope we go all out to win it now
    National title not to be sniffed at and would be a great introduction for the likes of Ruane plunkett and macdonagh

km79 wrote: »
    I've completely changed my mind
    I hope we go all out to win it now
    National title not to be sniffed at and would be a great introduction for the likes of Ruane plunkett and macdonagh

I'm exactly the same over the last few days.

I don't think I could sit around on Sunday afternoon and go "Meh" if they failed to finish the league on a high and failed to give themselves a chance to play a league final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭HBC08

[/b]

We have really struggled to beat Galway recently, especially with their defensive system.
    So I'd not be too confident of winning.
    Another game v them may help in trying to solve that.

I watched the match v Kerry back after being at it on Saturday.
    Should have won by much more.
    Wasted a lot of opportunities in the second half.
    I'd say Mayo would have the beating of them again in a final.

Would be a different ball game playing Galway in croker as opposed to MacHale park or Salthill.Would love a shot at them in HQ

HBC08 wrote: »
    Would be a different ball game playing Galway in croker as opposed to MacHale park or Salthill.Would love a shot at them in HQ

I don't think so

Galway would setup defensively, Mayo would struggle to break them down, Galway would score a late goal on the break

Anyway a Galway v Mayo final is probably the least likely of all the weekend outcomes

Galway have an 12 gap to make up on Kerry, so they would have to beat Tyrone by lets say 5 (in Tyrone) and have Kerry lose by lets say 7 to Roscommon to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I can't see anything but us going flat out for a win. Horan has an opportunity to get an early feather in his (new) cap. Plenty of senior players have had little to show for all their efforts in recent years.

If you put yourself in the management team/players shoes, rather than a supporter, then it's easy to see that there'll be plenty of hunger for a chance of to play a final vs Kerry or Galway. A real opportunity, with Dublin out of the running, to get some success.

I expect as near a championship team as possible and that in itself will be interesting. Let's hope Tyrone will do us a favour. It would be some craic if we got in thanks to the Rossies...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

It's certainly a great opportunity to win a national title, especially now that the Dubs won't be there. I really do hope they go for it. Would be nice to have a bit of croke park excitement so early in the year, especially after the last gasp efforts to even just stay in div 1 the last couple of years.

Saw that Cillian isn't expected back for the Monaghan match either. Is his recovery taking longer than was expected?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Winning is a habit so we need to continue on and go and win the final. McHale park seems to haunt us and I'm happier playing away from home now at this stage.

Horan should be aiming to get us to the league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭HBC08

I don't think so

Galway would setup defensively, Mayo would struggle to break them down, Galway would score a late goal on the break

Anyway a Galway v Mayo final is probably the least likely of all the weekend outcomes

Galway have an 12 gap to make up on Kerry, so they would have to beat Tyrone by lets say 5 (in Tyrone) and have Kerry lose by lets say 7 to Roscommon to get in.

I'd like to see Galway try to set up defensively against Mayo in the wide open expanses of Croke where we rarely lose and they rarely win! It's our preferred home pitch at this stage.

Ok all,a job opportunity that might tickle your fancy.

Undoubtedly for all you Mayo fanatics with a healthy interest/involvement in your local clubs with suitable accounting/administrative skillsets.

https://www.gaa.ie/the-gaa/administration/employment-opportunities

A very positive development either way.

I wonder if our Castlebar native Niall McGarry is making a financial contribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I'd like to see Galway try to set up defensively against Mayo in the wide open expanses of Croke where we rarely lose and they rarely win! It's our preferred home pitch at this stage.

It didn't feel very homely when we were there a few weeks back...

The wide open expanses of Croke are a myth

Pearse stadium is bigger, as the The Hyde

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/september-road-the-long-and-the-short-of-pitches-1.1844127

Regardless, only seven county grounds around the country then claim to utilise the maximum playing space of 13,050m²: Casement Park, Antrim; Cusack Park, Ennis; MacCumhail Park, Donegal, Pearse Stadium, Galway, O’Connor Park, Offaly, Semple Stadium, Tipperary and, you’ve guessed it, Dr Hyde Park, Roscommon.

Croke Park in contrast measures 144m x 86m.

Anyway as I said it would take a major Kerry and Tyrone collapse for a Galway v Mayo final to happen, unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

seligehgit wrote: »
    Ok all,a job opportunity that might tickle your fancy.

Undoubtedly for all you Mayo fanatics with a healthy interest/involvement in your local clubs with suitable accounting/administrative skillsets.

https://www.gaa.ie/the-gaa/administration/employment-opportunities

A very positive development either way.

I wonder if our Castlebar native Niall McGarry is making a financial contribution?

I believe he stated last year that the offer was still on the table.

Much more of a commerial/marketing/sponsorship role than accounting/administration.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement