Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The wide open expanses of Croke are a myth

Pearse stadium is bigger, as the The Hyde

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/september-road-the-long-and-the-short-of-pitches-1.1844127

Anyway as I said it would take a major Kerry and Tyrone collapse for a Galway v Mayo final to happen, unlikely

But Father Tod we're in the league final if we come through on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

seligehgit wrote:
    I wonder if our Castlebar native Niall McGarry is making a financial contribution?

He offered previously didn't he?

Mayo County Board declined his offer.

This should have been done about 4/5 years ago. So so far behind the 8 ball on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The wind and rain generally help galways defensive system in salthill, and mchale park for that matter. Mayo are generally playing them eariler in the year too which would be more prone to rain and wind, whereas the height of summer we are closer to CP. Now obviously we can and maybe should still be winning those games, but I believe those factors do have a sizeable effect on how a game plays out and are probably underestimated by fans/pundits. It could also explain why, despite having a strong side there now, galway are still waiting for their first win in a championship knockout game in croke park in almost two decades, which is in itself a staggering fact. But when you consider their gameplan, how they get wins and when/where they tend to be going well, it indicates that the wheels do seem to come off the better the pitches/weather gets, whereas mayo seems to be the inverse of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

@MayoGAA: Here is the Mayo to face Monaghan on Sunday in @Elverys MacHale Park at 2pm. It shows 6 changes from last weekend's win https://bit.ly/2HAg7CI. #mayogaa #gaa https://twitter.com/MayoGAA/status/1109182306978332678/photo/1

Still a pretty useful team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    It didn't feel very homely when we were there a few weeks back...

We win there a lot more than we lose.Our record there is far superior to machale park the last few years.Galway have won once there in 18 years.Without oogling or thinking too hard about it weve probably won 30+ games in that time there.Id fancy Galway to beat us in machale park or salthill but Mayo to win in Croker.

Just saw the team there,Horan doing what hes done all season and making 5-6 changes every game.
    I think Monaghan will want it a bit more on sun and that might shade it for them.
    Great competition for places in the Mayo squad though and super to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Here it is by the way, no need for that Twitter yoke

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. Eoin O'Donoghue - Belmullet
    5. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    6. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
    7. James McCormack - Claremorris
    8. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
    9. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy
    10. Fergal Boland - Aghamore
    11. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    12. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber(C)
    13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    14. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    15. Conor Diskin - Claremorris

Horan must have decided that Diskin had spent enough time in purgatory for his indiscretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Horan must have decided that Diskin had spent enough time in purgatory for his indiscretion.

Indiscretion?

• Advertisement

Indiscretion?

From what I heard he didn't follow rules and that is why we haven't seen him so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

km79 wrote: »

@MayoGAA: Here is the Mayo to face Monaghan on Sunday in @Elverys MacHale Park at 2pm. It shows 6 changes from last weekend's win https://bit.ly/2HAg7CI. #mayogaa #gaa https://twitter.com/MayoGAA/status/1109182306978332678/photo/1

That team is more than capable of getting the job done. Strong bench to use too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Probably the weakest Mayo team that has started any league game this year. If this was a key championship game Barrett,Higgins,Boyle,Keegan,Moran,Reape would all be starting. Horan happy with his lot and not bothered if Mayo reach the final or not is the message sent out with that team.

Probably the weakest Mayo team that has started any league game this year. If this was a key championship game Barrett,Higgins,Boyle,Keegan,Moran,Reape would all be starting. Horan happy with his lot and not bothered if Mayo reach the final or not is the message sent out with that team.

Horan is building a panel.Look at the subs to come in, there's a lot to be said for finishing with your strongest team these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

HBC08 wrote: »
    Horan is building a panel.Look at the subs to come in, there's a lot to be said for finishing with your strongest team these days.

He has used all of the league to build the panel. This was meant to be more important game with the opportunity to reach a final and win a national title. If Mayo lose on Sunday its because Horan chose not to start with a stronger team.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Well there goes my theory, wasn't expecting all the elder statesmen to start but I thought we would see Keegan, Higgins and Barrett start. I think Boyle and Moran will be used as impact subs this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I wouldn't have made that many changes but it's an interesting selection nonetheless. Every outfield player is under 30 years old by my reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I wouldn't have made that many changes but it's an interesting selection nonetheless. Every outfield player is under 30 years old by my reckoning.
    Aren't Jason Doherty and Kevin McLoughlin in their 30s?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Isn't it a great situation to be in where he can make 5 or 6 changes for the last game safe in the knowledge that they have Div 1 secure, plenty of players used, two good away wins and the outside chance of a final, plus if it's for the winning late on he can spring some real experience from the bench, all without the services of one of the best free takers in the game.

This time last year they needed McLoughlin and about 11 steps to safe them late on the last day.

Whatever happens Sunday I think we as fans should be a little bit confident that we will see the Mayo we have become used to this decade as the summer get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Aren't Jason Doherty and Kevin McLoughlin in their 30s?

Not until later this year. According to an old programme I have, McLoughlin will be 30 in May and Doherty is 30 in November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Moran,Reape would all be starting.

Not sure both of these are nailed on. Could be either/or at full forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Not sure both of these are nailed on. Could be either/or at full forward.

Does anybody know why Reape was playing for his club instead of being in Kerry?? Working if he's not around this weekend either. Might be on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Does anybody know why Reape was playing for his club instead of being in Kerry?? Working if he's not around this weekend either. Might be on the bench

Dont think he's good enough for this level tbh. Very good Intermediate player but doesn't always work making the jump to county.

Lovely day for a game of football

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

seligehgit wrote: »
    Lovely day for a game of football

According 2 program ....no Andy. Boyle Keegan or Higgins.

Just seen Higgins and Andy in the stand
    A win is a bonus to Horan is the way it’s being approached which is fair enough

Is this on tv at all?

Is this on tv at all?

No

That’s the best half of league football in Castlebar in years

Not sure how the umpire /ref decided on a yellow for the foul on clarke
    It was a red or nothing
    So a red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

km79 wrote: »
    Just seen Higgins and Andy in the stand
    A win is a bonus to Horan is the way it’s being approached which is fair enough

Looks like it wouldn't matter anyway the way things are going in Galway v Tyrone.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement