Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Call me Al wrote: »
    The red given was directly in front of me, and in my opinion it was a blatant quick elbow in the head as they went for the ball.
    It was quick as lightening when he did it, but it was definitely done with bad intent. And the 2 Monaghan supporters beside us thought the same.

His reaction did look like he knew he had done something stupid
    They are a filthy team all told
    Every year the same stuff out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

The red card was called by the lineman too from what I could tell and he had a perfect view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

km79 wrote: »
    It happened in line with me
    He was caught with forearm/elbow
    Expect he is concussed
    Not quite sure how the ref/umpires decided it was yellow not red

Yeah I was over the the far side.

Thought it was a head injury and he'd been knocked out cold?

Great news he appears to be ok.

Not many "visitors" tonight.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Looking forward to next weekend. Should be great football and hurling finals. I don't know anything about the camogie. One things for sure, Mayo are never down and out. Last year's early exit has rejuvenated them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

That’s the best half of league football in Castlebar in years

Not sure how the umpire /ref decided on a yellow for the foul on clarke
    It was a red or nothing
    So a red

I only saw it in real time but I thought he was going for the ball, accidental IMO
    Saw the red back on the news, terrible decision.
    Thought the ref was terrible for both sides at times

Great to be in a league final
    Thought KMcL, Doc and Diarmuid were outstanding. The young lads did great, McCormick and Boland in particular were very good.
    Disappointed with some of the tackling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Thought the red was a red myself, clearly led with the elbow into the tackle. As Martin would say, don't think there was any real malice in it, but it was dangerous and could have been avoided.

Great display, Final in HQ will benefit both teams. Was delighted to see Boland play as well as he did. I think himself and McLoughs add so much in terms of creativity, both on and off the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The foul on Clarke wasn't a red. It was one of those where you hsve to challenge if your the forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not many "visitors" tonight.......

Concentrating on my own county today, but from reports and highlights it looked a great performance from Mayo. Some lovely long range points and the new lads looked very sharp. O`Shea again very good in midfield. Tbh I do not pass a lot of regards to the league early on, but look more to the latter stage as an indicator of how teams are shaping up for the championship and ye look in great nick.
    Enjoy the day out and good lucky Sunday. It should be a cracker of a game, and do the Dubs no harm to see ye back in the big smoke playing for silverware so early in the year.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Concentrating on my own county today, but from reports and highlights it looked a great performance from Mayo. Some lovely long range points and the new lads looked very sharp. O`Shea again very good in midfield. Tbh I do not pass a lot of regards to the league early on, but look more to the latter stage as an indicator of how teams are shaping up for the championship and ye look in great nick.
    Enjoy the day out and good lucky Sunday. It should be a cracker of a game, and do the Dubs no harm to see ye back in the big smoke playing for silverware so early in the year.

I of course wasn't referring to you and other regular contributors from other counties ;)
    Great to see ye back up anyway
    Hoping for an away weekend trip again next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

jr86 wrote: »
    Perhaps but I wouldn't fear them one bit, this is a superb opportunity to grab some national silverware

Two super wins in a row now, hopefully we can truly consign that Dublin debacle to just a horrible one off performance. In fairness the Galway game was desperate conditions.

I wouldn't fear them either, but I think it'll be a different Kerry to what we saw in Tralee.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great win. Solid throughout. Real challenging for positions now.
    I see the St email has us playing Galway🙈🙈

Will be a different Kerry next Sunday but will be a lot of young lads so hopefully our experience will help us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is it just me but id be quite happy without making a league final and all the hype an ****e that would bring etc. The target is a Connacht final win and the super 8's, i dont think a league final does anything to help that.

Well i've completely changed my mind, :pac: really looking forward to next Sunday now. Seemed to be great excitement yesterday, was listening to MWR on the runway in Stansted but they were terrible with the updates early on. I was following them on the rte gaa twitter, surely someone could have had that open in the commentary box??

Monaghan Review

Mayo News Football Podcast 2019

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-03-25T05_45_40-07_00.mp3

Good article in yesterday's Times on James Horan's second coming by Michael Foley.

Well worth a read.

Horan reports in today's Indo match report that Tom Parsons is "progressing well" whilst Cillian O Connor trained yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

PARlance wrote: »
    Thought the red was a red myself, clearly led with the elbow into the tackle. As Martin would say, don't think there was any real malice in it, but it was dangerous and could have been avoided.

Great display, Final in HQ will benefit both teams. Was delighted to see Boland play as well as he did. I think himself and McLoughs add so much in terms of creativity, both on and off the ball.

He was very good yesterday and offered a threat when he got his hands on the ball. I would worry about his size and ability to take tight hard marking as he is a bit light.

Courtesy of the Connaught Telegraph.

MAYO goalkeeper David Clarke, and midfielder Matthew Ruane are expected to fully fit for next Sunday's Allianz National League Division 1 final against Kerry in Croke Park.

Clarke was carried off before half time in what looked at the time a serious injury.

It proved to be no more than concussion.

Meanwhile midfielder Ruane,who came off as a blood substitute in the third quarter,did not return to the action due to a cut above his eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PressRun wrote: »
    I wouldn't fear them either, but I think it'll be a different Kerry to what we saw in Tralee.

With the obvious exception of the addition of Clifford and the possible lack of a storm I don't see how much different Kerry will be.

Clifford and James O'Donoughe do bring a bigger scoring threat than they had last week but at the same time the areas where Mayo did better, i.e the midfield and running at the defense, will not really have changed much for Kerry

Other than Gavin White in the half back line coming back from Crokes I don't see any other additions to the Kerry midfield and defense that will solve the problems they had in Tralee.

Sure enough the younger guys might be a bit more hardy and ready for the fight than they were last week but all in all I think Mayo will have the physical edge in those areas that Kerry are at the weakest.

Well i've completely changed my mind, :pac: really looking forward to next Sunday now. Seemed to be great excitement yesterday, was listening to MWR on the runway in Stansted but they were terrible with the updates early on. I was following them on the rte gaa twitter, surely someone could have had that open in the commentary box??

I too am all for this league final thing.

• Advertisement

With the obvious exception of the addition of Clifford and the possible lack of a storm I don't see how much different Kerry will be.

Clifford and James O'Donoughe do bring a bigger scoring threat than they had last week but at the same time the areas where Mayo did better, i.e the midfield and running at the defense, will not really have changed much for Kerry

Other than Gavin White in the half back line coming back from Crokes I don't see any other additions to the Kerry midfield and defense that will solve the problems they had in Tralee.

Sure enough the younger guys might be a bit more hardy and ready for the fight than they were last week but all in all I think Mayo will have the physical edge in those areas that Kerry are at the weakest.

I think they just might be more up for it than they were down in Tralee. I think they knew they were safe when they played us and possibly targeted the Roscommon match as the one to win to get into the league final.
    I'm sure we'll be up for it too though. It's a terrific opportunity to win a national title for the first time in ages and a brilliant chance for the young fellas to get some valuable Croke Park experience before championship. I'm very excited for it and keen to see who Horan picks. No reason not to continue to trust the young players who have gotten us this far, I think.

As am I now ! I had actually changed my mind before the match at the weekend anyway and was disappointed at HT when it looked unlikely we were going to make the final

On David clarke i knew he was concussed looking at him and I think the Connacht Telegraph May be jumping the gun assuming he will be let play just 7 days later

I think they just might be more up for it than they were down in Tralee. I think they knew they were safe when they played us and possibly targeted the Roscommon match as the one to win to get into the league final.
    I'm sure we'll be up for it too though. It's a terrific opportunity to win a national title for the first time in ages and a brilliant chance for the young fellas to get some valuable Croke Park experience before championship. I'm very excited for it and keen to see who Horan picks. No reason not to continue to trust the young players who have gotten us this far, I think.

As they said on Radio Kerry "some of these young lads might have thought, this playing for Kerry is easy, after 5 wins in a row"

I can see the narrative this week being similar to the narrative after the 2017 SF drawn game.

Then we were told that Kerry would learn more from the drawn game, just like we will be told that Kerry will learn more from the Tralee game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

agreed, but whilst we will have the edge in those areas, we will still lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

As am I now ! I had actually changed my mind before the match at the weekend anyway and was disappointed at HT when it looked unlikely we were going to make the final

On David clarke i knew he was concussed looking at him and I think the Connacht Telegraph May be jumping the gun assuming he will be let play just 7 days later
    I don't think Clarke will be back on Sunday eithet, notwithstanding the fact that he was signing autographs and jn hundres of selfies by 3.30 :-)

Matthew Ruane wasn't walking straight as he came off the pitch either. He might have come off with a cut to his head but I think the damage was more than that little cut.
    Hopefully I'm wrong though and they're both back in and full health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He was very good yesterday and offered a threat when he got his hands on the ball. I would worry about his size and ability to take tight hard marking as he is a bit light.

No doubt that he's not the biggest lad around but brains over brawn (in a few cases, certainly his role) for me. An intelligent player won't be leaving himself 50/50 battles. Plenty of lads in the Dublin set-up who you would say are on the light side.

I'm just a big fan and have been from the start really. I see him giving us something that Dillon used to give us. Would love to see him getting a good run out in Croker though and I would start him for the final but all that said, I'm not sure he's in my starting 15 just yet when everyone's back. Come the Summer, it would be great to have him well established as a solid option off the bench. Something different than the 4 or 5 "strong runners" we've had (been limited) to spring from the bench in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

No doubt that he's not the biggest lad around but brains over brawn (in a few cases, certainly his role) for me. An intelligent player won't be leaving himself 50/50 battles. Plenty of lads in the Dublin set-up who you would say are on the light side.

I'm just a big fan and have been from the start really. I see him giving us something that Dillon used to give us. Would love to see him getting a good run out in Croker though and I would start him for the final but all that said, I'm not sure he's in my starting 15 just yet when everyone's back. It would be great to have him well established as an option of the bench. Something different than the 4 or 5 "strong runners" we've had to spring from the bench in recent years.

He's certainly very similar to Dillon alright. he was hugely impressive at under 21. He seems to have bulked up a little so the additional strength will do him no harm. Has a great eye for the posts and he's an excellent foot-passer too.

I'm just a big fan and have been from the start really. I see him giving us something that Dillon used to give us. Would love to see him getting a good run out in Croker though and I would start him for the final but all that said, I'm not sure he's in my starting 15 just yet when everyone's back. Come the Summer, it would be great to have him well established as a solid option off the bench. Something different than the 4 or 5 "strong runners" we've had (been limited) to spring from the bench in recent years.

My thinking after Sunday is the same as this
    I’ve always seen him as Alan Dillon type player and one we badly lack
    But he is on the small side
    However he has shown he can kick a point from long range now so certainly a real option off then bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Me too. I won't be there but I bought one of these in Elverys today to put up outside the house. Mon the lads!:D

C1-000000000001050116-636Wx636H?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wzODYyNnxpbWFnZS9qcGVnfGltYWdlcy9oNGMvaGM0LzkxNTkwNTgwNjMzOTAuanBnfDJlNjIwNzA0NjE0NjI2MzA3ZjIzM2JlZWExOGNiMzhjYjc4MTFhMTZkMDBjZTI5OTUwYmJkZjRmNWIxNGMyYTY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

My thinking after Sunday is the same as this
    I’ve always seen him as Alan Dillon type player and one we badly lack
    But he is on the small side
    However he has shown he can kick a point from long range now so certainly a real option off then bench

He's a touch on the small side, but I think he's a lot stronger than he was in previous years, and he's not afraid to get stuck in. Thought he shook off a few tackles on Sunday that I wasn't expecting him to be able to. Reminds be a bit of Kevin McLoughlin in that regard. Great to see him playing well - he looks full of confidence.

I was fairly impressed with Darren Coen too. He's a little errant in his shooting at times, but he's good to win a ball and he's not afraid to just turn and shoot. Has a bit to go and don't think he's a starter in a full team, but a good option to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Squatman wrote: »
    agreed, but whilst we will have the edge in those areas, we will still lose!

I'm not so sure. I think Mayo have a roaring chance here

I think we're two teams in similar situations. I don't know is it a hangover from Kerry dishing out hammerings to Mayo in the 00s but I never fully understand the pessimism so many Mayo fans of playing Kerry in recent years, when its clear they're very much a side in rebuilding. I noticed it a lot in the 2017 matches

We both had very disappointing 2018 campaigns, both eliminated earlier than usual, which gave us an opportunity to both come back much more prepared for the league with many new additions to the squad

I think its been a funny league campaign in many ways. Tyrone have only gotten going in the latter rounds, Dublin have only shown patches, Monaghan really weren't at the races (Blessed not to be relegated) and Galway were up and down throughout

So Kerry's 6 wins do need to put into context (as admittedly do Mayo's 5), in that I'm not sure how much evidence there is they have actually improved hugely on last year just yet, given the standard of opposition at this early stage in the season.

I'm not trying to be overly disrespectful to Kerry here, and maybe this is all wishful thinking. I have no doubt all this minor success will lead to senior success in the future, however I'm not sure they'll have the balance in their side just yet. I certainly would give Mayo a fine chance here, as I would have given to Galway or Tyrone if they got through

• Advertisement

I get the impression people think I'm being pessimisstic? I'm not! I think this final is a great opportunity. I just think it could be very competitive match, which will do us no harm either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I get the impression people think I'm being pessimisstic? I'm not! I think this final is a great opportunity. I just think it could be very competitive match, which will do us no harm either.

Nope, we should be expecting to win it. We have a strong bench to back us up, key will be Clifford and O'Shea and how their performances are. Clifford should still be coming back from his time out, both could destroy us on their day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Some stats from the Tralee match.

Kerry

First half with the strong wind

0-7 from 17 efforts on goal

Second half

0-4 from 8 efforts on goals.

Total 0-11 from 25 scoring opportunities

Mayo

1st half

0-4 from 8 efforts on goal

2nd half With the strong wind

1-6 from 13 efforts on goal

Total 1-10 from 21 scoring opportunities

In summary a contest ruined by the wind. The goal was key and Kerry more wasteful when they had the strong wind advantage cost them.

Clifford if he starts could bring the xfactor and on dry calm day Sean O'Shea could cause serious. For Mayo to win they will need to dominate the middle eight again and deliver a top defensive performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 centralchill

yop wrote: »
    Nope, we should be expecting to win it. We have a strong bench to back us up, key will be Clifford and O'Shea and how their performances are. Clifford should still be coming back from his time out, both could destroy us on their day

How did the other two younger players from Claremorris play on Sunday? I didnt see the game... Diskin and McCormack?

Squatman wrote: »
    agreed, but whilst we will have the edge in those areas,we will still lose!

50 50 game IMO.

Although in an overall sense we have a dismal record against Kerry in the championship and many of us are still haunted by the 2014 semi final replay.:(

Some of the historical baggage in relation to the past vis a vis the kingdom has been overcome by this group of players.

However checking back on the records we've never beaten them in a national final.So same has to be put right and there's no time like the present.:)

How did the other two younger players from Claremorris play on Sunday? I didnt see the game... Diskin and McCormack?

Conor Diskin went off injured in the first half.He had'nt made a huge impression although if I recall correctly he set up one point.The jury is out,he's very young and needs more game time but unlikely to get a lot of it at this point in time.

James Mc Cormack had a decent game,plenty of gas in the tank and scored a nice point in the first half.Definite potential there.

Very happy with them. Lots of potential. Our young players have been excellent in this campaign. A real plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

seligehgit wrote: »
    Conor Diskin went off injured in the first half.He had'nt made a huge impression although if I recall correctly he set up one point.The jury is out,he's very young and needs more game time but unlikely to get a lot of it at this point in time.

James Mc Cormack had a decent game,plenty of gas in the tank and scored a nice point in the first half.Definite potential there.

He showed up really well and he has good pace. He was mad to get into attacking and if he was seen in one instance by AOS across the other side of the pitch(all alone), he would have been in for a goal as Monaghan were down to 14.

Do we think Horan will be entirely focused on winning Sunday's game when it comes to his team selection. Or will there still be a degree of experimentation with an eye on the 'real business' of the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Only ****e tickets on sale
    When will upper tiers be released?

• Advertisement

Do we think Horan will be entirely focused on winning Sunday's game when it comes to his team selection. Or will there still be a degree of experimentation with an eye on the 'real business' of the championship.

OH I think they will go for it.

It's a national final, a chance of silverware.

The league business is done, this is now an once off game
    They should have learned enough in the last 7 games to know what to work towards for the championship

I don't think they would do any else but be totally focused on this game.

I think he will stick with the players who got them this far. Why not? Would be unfair to drop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Only ****e tickets on sale
    When will upper tiers be released?

Just noticed that too. I can't get 4 together in Lower Cusack. Keep a check on it tomorrow for upper level.

OH I think they will go for it.

It's a national final, a chance of silverware.

The league business is done, this is now an once off game
    They should have learned enough in the last 7 games to know what to work towards for the championship

I don't think they would do any else but be totally focused on this game.

I dunno. The team Horan put out for the Monaghan game suggests winning the league is not a high priority for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

cocoman wrote: »
    Just noticed that too. I can't get 4 together in Lower Cusack. Keep a check on it tomorrow for upper level.

The Lower Cusack is "reserved" for season ticket holders from competing counties (i.e. they will all be seated there first), so there will be very few tickets available for it. You've a far better chance getting four together in the Lower Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I dunno. The team Horan put out for the Monaghan game suggests winning the league is not a high priority for him.

I'd agree with Tod, in the final now and in it to win it. Team Mayo will start on Sunday will likely be a stronger and more experienced team than what will start v New York in May.

But the Monaghan game was completely different.

Winning that gave you nothing other than a win, they needed other results to get to the final.

Sunday is a one off game with a national title up for grabs.

Completely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

BandMember wrote: »
    The Lower Cusack is "reserved" for season ticket holders from competing counties (i.e. they will all be seated there first), so there will be very few tickets available for it. You've a far better chance getting four together in the Lower Hogan.

Bringing the kids so looks like I'll be in the Davin :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭muddle84

[PHP][/PHP]
    I'd agree with Tod, in the final now and in it to win it. Team Mayo will start on Sunday will likely be a stronger and more experienced team than what will start v New York in May.

Based on Horans approach to the league I believe what he is saying about his approach. He will start the lads that are doing the best in training. Age or experience doesn't matter. I think this is how he will pick the team next weekend, it doesn't matter how they played in the past if they're getting roasted in training then they're on the bench or on the stand. I think this is a great approach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Plainly my arguments from last week about why Mayo should take the Monaghan game seriously were used by Horan on Sunday. Only logical explanation I can think of.

I'm surprised Kerry are strong favourites for Sunday. It seems like it should be an even enough match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement