Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

About 3 hours into this and the first section was great but now I'm in Midgar hunting rats and finding cats and it is sloowwwwww. The pop in is unreal too. Game looks good at first glance but try run through a street with more than 3 NPCs and it all falls apart. Music is awesome. Hoping it picks up again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I downloaded this the other day as it's one of the games included with PS+ but I gave up and uninstalled it after a few hours.
    Not my cup of tea at all. I didn't enjoy the combat system to be honest, but I'll admit that's probably just a case of preference given that so many people really seem to enjoy it.

I thought the world felt incredibly artificial though, it actually reminded me of sonic adventure in terms of interacting with NPC's on the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

This is my first time playing a FF game. I like it, it's good, not great but for a free game I'm happy with it.

I need 300% stagger and to complete it in hard for platinum. Does anyone know do you have to start a new game in hard mode or can you do chapter select and choose hard mode to get the trophy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

micah537 wrote: »
    This is my first time playing a FF game. I like it, it's good, not great but for a free game I'm happy with it.

I need 300% stagger and to complete it in hard for platinum. Does anyone know do you have to start a new game in hard mode or can you do chapter select and choose hard mode to get the trophy?

Just pick Chapter 1 and play it on hard mode and you will play through the game linearly. You can do them in any order though and it will still count.

300% is easy to get with Tifa and using one of the fights in Chadley's VR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Just pick Chapter 1 and play it on hard mode and you will play through the game linearly. You can do them in any order though and it will still count.

300% is easy to get with Tifa and using one of the fights in Chadley's VR.

300% easiest done on
    Fat Chocobo

Vicxas wrote: »
    300% easiest done on
    Fat Chocobo

It is indeed. I knew it was a fat something :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

I guess this would be fantastic as a free game on ps plus if I hadn't bought it like most here last year. I agree with most of the reviews here too. Too much filler for the sake of filler. Hojos lab damn near broke me, I might go back through it to master the combat but to be honest I'm in no rush. It was impossible to no have high expectations for this, the original is many peoples favorite game of all time. It's certainly not bad, but it's not amazing either.

Question for those who have the platinum or at least the dresses trophy: I know some dresses are affected by the amount of side quests you do. Do I need to replay side quests I already did in my first playthrough? For instance in chapter 3 I've already done all the side quests and selected 'sporty' for Tifa. Do I need to now redo all the side quests there and select 'exotic'?

ETA: Also, on chapter select is that little paper icon next to the music disc the manuscript icon?

Yes, I think that is the manuscript icon.

I would need to look it up to remember the dresses exactly, but the number of quests you do in the slums relate to the dress Tifa gets.

First play through I did all the quests to get that dress.
    Second play through I did a certain number but not all of them.
    Third play through I did no quests.

For Aerith, it depends on which quest lines you follow in Wall Market.

Optimal way would be to get one set on the 1st play through, a 2nd set on a hard play through and then use chapter select to tidy it up.

Hope that helps, but it has been a while since I've played it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Yes, I think that is the manuscript icon.

I would need to look it up to remember the dresses exactly, but the number of quests you do in the slums relate to the dress Tifa gets.

First play through I did all the quests to get that dress.
    Second play through I did a certain number but not all of them.
    Third play through I did no quests.

For Aerith, it depends on which quest lines you follow in Wall Market.

Optimal way would be to get one set on the 1st play through, a 2nd set on a hard play through and then use chapter select to tidy it up.

Hope that helps, but it has been a while since I've played it.

For Tifa it depends on the answer you give after doing all side missions in sector 7. There is a default one if you don't do the sidequests so choose the other two to reduce the number of runs required.

For Aerith the number of sidequests completed in sector 5 are the trigger, none, half and all.

Clouds are triggered by completing the two different sidequest lines in Wall Market and not completing either.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I've figured it out. One other question. I just did chapter 3 via mission select and it continued on to chapter 4 where I had to skip about 5 cut scenes in a row just to be able to get to the menu and seelct 'system'. The problem is my play log is not updating my stats;...it's the same as when I first compelted the game for the first time and I know i have 2 dresses for Tifa and 19/20 battle intel reports completed yet it says 1/3 for Tifa and 18/20 for battle intel. Is that normal?

It won't update until you get past Wall Garden and see the dresses.

Once done with chapter 3 you can skip to the sector 5 slums.

But what about the battle intel reports?

Iirc you need to do 1-19 to unlock number 20 and it doesn't unlock until near the end.

I mean the play log stats. I've already got number 20 but the problem is the play log is showing I've completed 18/20 when I know I've done 19/20.

Might want to check to see if there are any incomplete ones in your menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Is it cheap? In FFXIV we just call that an enrage, just means you've got to kill dragon butt more quickly :)

The main tip I'd have is just use lots of purple materia, in particular the one called 'ATB Assist'. Atb Assist gives a chunk of ATB gauge to other party members when the one with it equipped uses two ATB skills back to back (they can maybe be used 2 seconds apart or so, not sure of the exact timing)

It's good to have on Cloud cause he has a skill called Disorder which changes his stance into punisher and gives him back some ATB, Tifa can do the same with focus strike. That way you're constantly building ATB across the team as well as with other purple materias like ATB stagger, ATB guard, skillmaster etc. Use Barret's overcharge on cooldown if he has less than 2 ATB slots filled, Aerith's tempest also builds up ATB massively if it's fully charged but the enemy has to be stationary for it to work

Beating the VR stuff on hard is the hardest thing in the game so there's no real reason to do it to beat the main game.

I also don't think hard mode scales all that high anyway, once you level up a bit some of the boss fights actually end up being squishier for some reason. To the point you will regularly skip stagger gauges cause of it.

Pairing a green materia with an elemental materia is how I went about hard mode for the mobs, saving MP for boss fights.

If you know the main elemental weakness for enemies in the chapter it makes short work of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So is it recommended to start this on Hard whenever it comes to PC for an old school difficulty lover?

Hard mode isn't a hard mode as such, it is a 'play the game again with high level characters' mode.

Also it's so far from being like an old school game anyway, it's a genuinely forward looking idea for turn based battle systems imo (which some problems that hopefully the sequels fix). Got lots of problems with the complete package of FFVII Remake but they split the balance between action and turn based decision making in a really smart way which brings in ideas not just from the old game but also more fast paced action titles and even MMOs. Should have been a mess but wasn't (imo)

WRT difficulty I was disappointed to see the PS5 re-release doesn't have a super hard mode that actually demands fully maxed characters. When I went back I tried to beat some of the boss fights with unupgraded weapons and it feels much closer to what a truly 'hard' mode for ffvii remake should feel like. But I'd prefer the game provide that itself somewhere.

The PC version could be a good place to find a more balanced hard mode in the form of a mod which ends up more rewarding. The default main game lacks anything which rewards knowledge of mechanics I found

The final boss is pretty easy and disappointing I think. The game excels at these big scale almost raid style battles against giant behemoths but when it gets a bit too character action-ey it's a much more flakey combat system I find. Cause human characters are easier to read and punish (except Rufus who has the weirdest design for a boss fight I've seen, still don't really get that one tbh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I... made it. I... finished...Final Fantasy Remake...now...I can...rest...*dies of exhaustion*

In all seriousness, this is a lovely 15 hour game at best stretched out painfully thin over 35 hours +. I know some here love the nostalgic aspect and I'm not trying to take that away from you but let's be honest with ourselves: It really did not need to be this long.

It's not even the waves and waves of enemies or trash mobs it throws at you after JUST beating a boss that pad it out as you can make quick work of them. What drags the game out is the infuriating way it constantly interrupts you with mini cut scenes and "look here!" moments. Literally 1 or 2 steps then a pause for needless in-game chatter. I'd rather just one big long cut scene than being constantly interrupted as I'm running and exploring.

Even in boss fights it's constantly stopping to show a mini cinematic cut scene. The final, final boss fight in particular was actually fun but the game just wouldn't let me play it lol. As for the story, the ending was a confusing mess and I'm not even going to try to understand it. Too much sequel baiting.

It's a good game but it would have been way better if it was half the length. I'm gonna try and go for platinum now which I think will be more fun. I can skip cut scenes and focus purely on mastering the best aspect i.e. the combat on Hard difficulty. Should be a fun challenge without items. There also won't be the, 'are we there yet?' factor since I know where all the story beats are.

In short, I liked it overall but not enough to return for the sequel as the story didn't grab me despite liking the characters. I honestly can't understand how this is better received than Final Fantasy XV. People complained about the chapter 13 corridor section (which they patched) yet this one is the patched version of that x 100 and yet it's popping up frequently on Game of the Year lists? :confused:

P.S.the music was fire.

FFXV characters, storyline and systems were total ****e that's why. A very good game in many ways but awful in others. Likewise it's a 100 hour game that would be far better as a more concise 50 hour experience but the japs love a good grindy game.

IMO 7-R has the best story ever told in a game, best direction, best characters and by far the best soundtrack in any game ever. Maybe nostalgia tinted and the fact that I know the whole story already makes some of the stuff that means nothing to new players more significant to the ones that do. They definitely could have done better there but it's amazing when you do understand those little moments and flashbacks/forwards.

There is a lot of wait and see where this goes even for OG fans if you can be bothered. I love the potential twist of
    Seph and Airith knowing the past timeline and trying to change it.

The sequels to 7-R will expand in to a FF15 like open world which is why they will be next gen only and part of the reason the first part was Midgar only.

Definitely some strange choices made to service the old fans. I can see how the
    Zack
    moments make no sense for new players. The outcome of them doesn't even make sense for old fans either. TBH they should have been cut from the ending sequence.
    Likewise the Cait Sith (cat thing) scene after the plate falls.
    Yes it's true to the original and you will find out who or what it is in the sequels but it takes away from the tone of that scene and chapter with most new players reactions being wtf is that.

I think there's no doubt the sequels will have a semi open world of some sort to replace the world map from the original. 15 was a beta test for square to try their hand at that before bringing it to 7 remake and they did a pretty great job at it for their first attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,906 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Intergrade is out on 10th June, I'm mad to play it especially as it has a new mini game boardgame called Fort Condor that sounds like it could be good. I can't pay 70-80 for the PS5 version though just to play the dlc. Cheapest alternative i can find is buying the ps4 version for 35 in smyths, free upgrade to ps5 version and then pay 20 for yuffie dlc so 55 total but again bit much just to play the dlc. Now games should do standalone dlc like last of us and left behind.

• Advertisement

Intergrade is the remake from a slightly different perspective (Yuffie's)? Am I getting that right? FF7 remake remake...?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And is there still no word on the pc release?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Intergrade is the remake from a slightly different perspective (Yuffie's)? Am I getting that right? FF7 remake remake...?

They’ve done themselves no favours with this - it’s confusing

I think the gist is:

Playstation 4 users who purchased ff7 remake and have purchased a ps5 will get the “upgrade” for free.

Ie they can play the ps5 version of FF7 remake ( 60fps etc )

The yuffie dlc is an extra cost and is not coming to ps4 as far as I know

If you buy the ps5 version, it includes the Yuffie dlc ( approx $70 online )

Yeah, Intergrade is the fancy ps5 upgrade, free for ps4 owners. Yuffie is separate DLC only available on PS5. 20 euro to purchase for ps4 game owners or bundled with the ps5 edition which rrp looks like 80 euro which is ****ing crazy.

Can you not buy the DLC for the version of the game that came with PS Plus?

skerry wrote: »
    Can you not buy the DLC for the version of the game that came with PS Plus?

Edit:, Jesus i got go slower with my swipe text) Apparently not, no free upgrade, no dlc option i believe. They should have never added it to plus with those arrangements.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Sisterly not, no free tighter, no dlc option i believe. They should have never added it to plus with those arrangements.

Wow, that is classic Sony right there. Always a caveat. Or maybe it was Squenix decision, either way thats some grade A bullsh!t

You'll be able to get the dlc eventually on PS4, think it's exclusive to the PS5 for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I have the game for the PS4. Have not played the PS4 in a while so sold it and got credit plus 25% and am looking out when they are sold. Kept the game. So my question is once I use my disk with the season pass will I get the Yuffi gameplay

• Advertisement

The power of the PS5!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

Can we pre download ps5 version if we have ps4 version installed already ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sorry I'm missing the point on this

Ps4 version.

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1365119303545102337?s=19

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And still no feckin PC release date? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Polar101

So.. I've got the PS Plus version - does that mean the only way to get the PS5 update is to buy the game?
    I don't really care about the DLC, but is there no update version for PS Plusers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Polar101 wrote: »
    So.. I've got the PS Plus version - does that mean the only way to get the PS5 update is to buy the game?
    I don't really care about the DLC, but is there no update version for PS Plusers?

Afraid so. It's called out specifically for that scenario, ps+ version doesn't get the upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Not a fan of needing to replay chapters to get things you missed, drawback of the game not being 'open world' :/

Kiith wrote: »
    And still no feckin PC release date? :mad:

The new version of the game is timed exclusive for 'at least' another 6 months, I would not count on a PC release at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Wow they really made that difficult to upgrade from the PS4 version... very complicated altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Wow they really made that difficult to upgrade from the PS4 version... very complicated altogether

It’s no doubt difficult but they did warn everyone at the time remake was released on ps plus.

A lot more straightforward than it has been previously.
    The option to upgrade is usually buried in the normal store page whereas there is a separate store page for the upgrade this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

A lot more straightforward than it has been previously.
    The option to upgrade is usually buried in the normal store page whereas there is a separate store page for the upgrade this time.

I think it was because I had bought the physical copy but then later downloaded the digital one as it was free on the PSN so it took a lot of routing around, uninstalling it from the HDD, reinstalling from the disc and then going through the different game pages for a while trying to get the upgrade option to show up

I think it was because I had bought the physical copy but then later downloaded the digital one as it was free on the PSN so it took a lot of routing around, uninstalling it from the HDD, reinstalling from the disc and then going through the different game pages for a while trying to get the upgrade option to show up

You don't need to install from disc. Insert the play disc, go to the Upgrade listing and away you go.

On previous upgrades they were hidden behind the 3 dots on the store page and it didn't always allow you to upgrade either. Messy as f.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Any thoughts on the ending?

• Advertisement

lordlame wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the ending?

Of intergrade? I liked it.

Still not sure on the Zack stuff though.
    Is it a different timeline? The hole in the roof of the church that cloud made doesn't seem to be there so it looks it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When in bejaysus is this coming to pc. It was exclusive until April. I'm guess that deal has been extended now with the new dlc and ps5 version. It's probably another year wait now. Hope it's not more.

Hopefully we find out later today.

I think intergrade has a 6 month exclusivity deal so I'm hoping it will make the Christmas release schedule for PC.

Hopefully they actually use that time to throw some bells and whistles on to it like ray tracing features.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    When in bejaysus is this coming to pc. It was exclusive until April. I'm guess that deal has been extended now with the new dlc and ps5 version. It's probably another year wait now. Hope it's not more.

Yeah it's extended, I posted that up above lol. Square have said at least 6 months, I would take that to mean a PC release isnt' even a guarantee anymore. Which is a pattern that will follow through to all the entries

Doubt we'll see any more FFVII stuff this year tbh, probably not until after FFXVI comes out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm not sure if a PC port will fix the most issues, if they could cut out about 4 hours of the padding it would make things a lot better. Combat system is great alright, just all the boring stuff in between.

• Advertisement
Advertisement