Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It's weird not having a day one patch, hope it doesn't fix much as no way I'm waiting til Friday.

Apparently there are some pretty bad texture loading/LOD issues in the current version.

Tho mine arrives in an hour, I ain't fecking waiting for non blurry textures.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 juanpablo1983

Delighted for all of ye who have received it. Never thought I would see the day, a remake would be upon us. Was 14 years old when I first played this and to this day, still one of the best times of my life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wouldn't trust any sit that so far gave this 90+ on Metacritic but doesn't look like a disaster either.

3.5/5 from Kat Bailey and quite a positive review. Only real issues are the side quests, padded out feeling and the story going full kingdom hearts but she praises it for taking chances and not playing it safe and the excellent combat system.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-review

Lots of technical issues cropping up so will wait for PC version. Seems like all the texture streaming/LOD issues look like it's more set to be a next gen game??

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wouldn't trust any sit that so far gave this 90+ on Metacritic but doesn't look like a disaster either.

3.5/5 from Kat Bailey and quite a positive review. Only real issues are the side quests, padded out feeling and the story going full kingdom hearts but she praises it for taking chances and not playing it safe and the excellent combat system.

Lots of technical issues cropping up so will wait for PC version. Seems like all the texture streaming/LOD issues look like it's more set to be a next gen game??
    Looking at the game and comparing it to stuff like God of War and Gears 5, it just sounds less like the hardware isn't capable and more like there's issues just with FFVII itself.

Like there's no way this linear game needs a PS5 or high performance SSD to stream its assets. It's probably a bug, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ordered from Smyths at 8:37 this morning. Shipment notification at 11:47, nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So you don't trust any of the 38 out of the 64 reviews that have given it a score of 90+? But you're happy to pick the joint third lowest to base your views on?

Confirmation bias right here, based on your FFVII views. I don't think you wanted this game to be good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So you don't trust any of the 38 out of the 64 reviews that have given it a score of 90+? But you're happy to pick the joint third lowest to base your views on?

Confirmation bias right here, based on your FFVII views. I don't think you wanted this game to be good.

Because all 38 are nobodies and easy allies who are awful reviewers.

Once you get to the 80s is where you get the ones who I'd consider good videogame writers.

Also I picked that review not because it's low but because Kat Bailey is a fantastic writer when it comes to RPGs and has a great understanding of them. Really respect her thoughts on them and have been following her since she she was on 1up

The fact that she says the game takes risk and doesn't play it safe is a massive positive for me.

But you seem to have your own confirmation bias about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Metacritic is a strange beast, ton of 100's for multiple games that definitely don't deserve and then under 60's (one I saw the headline "great game but not everyone likes slow rpg's"). MC is just a nice overview to get an average. Then it's a select few sites I might look at but really can't trust any of them these days. Both nobodies and popular sites can get it very wrong sometimes.

I really hope it's not still a practice where devs only get bonuses if MC is above a certain score.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭_Puma_

This was off my radar because i just assumed it was a remake of the original, re-skinnned with some new battle system etc... FF7 was probably the game that I spent the most time playing during my PlayStation 1/2/3 days (Each console I had a play thorough)

From the Kotaku review this morning, this is a different animal altogether and it sounds brilliant. I then realize its episodic and a playstation exclusive. Check mate Square Enix. Time to sources a PS4 and will likely be investing in a PS5 come time for the next episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

_Puma_ wrote: »
    This was off my radar because i just assumed it was a remake of the original, re-skinnned with some new battle system etc... FF7 was probaly the game that I spent the most time playing during my PlayStation 1/2 days

From the Kotaku review this morning, this is a different animal altogether and it sounds brilliant. I then realize its episodic and a playstation exclusive. Check mate Square Enix. Time to sources a PS4 and will likely be investing in a PS5 come time for the next episode!

While it is a long time, it's really only PS exclusive for 1 year, it'll come to PC next March.

• Advertisement

Very positive metro review as well.

Seems that there's plenty of flaws but nothing to spoil how fun the game is.
    _Puma_ wrote: »
    This was off my radar because i just assumed it was a remake of the original, re-skinnned with some new battle system etc... FF7 was probaly the game that I spent the most time playing during my PlayStation 1/2 days

It's only a timed exclusive so will be coming to pc and Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Because all 38 are nobodies and easy allies who are awful reviewers.

Once you get to the 80s is where you get the ones who I'd consider good videogame writers.

Also I picked that review not because it's low but because Kat Bailey is a fantastic writer when it comes to RPGs and has a great understanding of them. Really respect her thoughts on them and have been following her since she she was on 1up

The fact that she says the game takes risk and doesn't play it safe is a massive positive for me.

But you seem to have your own confirmation bias about me.

You've never hid your dislike of FFVII's revered status and a lot of your comments on the remake seem to focus on the negatives.

Maybe you're right and I've just picked you up wrong on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

That's a good review to be fair. Sounds like a lot of the filler is in the sidequests - fine by me, I'm happy to ignore them.

The talk of going full kingdom hearts is a little worrying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Ordered from Smyths at 8:37 this morning. Shipment notification at 11:47, nice!

Shows as not being available to order on Smyths for me?

EDIT: Never mind, someone else already said it above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ACG seems to have liked it with some caveats:

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

That's a good review to be fair. Sounds like a lot of the filler is in the sidequests - fine by me, I'm happy to ignore them.

The talk of going full kingdom hearts is a little worrying though.

I heard there's 'interesting' materia from the side quests. Probably game breaking stuff you need for the optional coliseum super bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

So annoyed with myself for not ordering sooner, Smyths now look like they wont have more stock until launch day and Shopto not until Wednesday, may aswell wait for digital on Friday now...

Lots of very positive reviews now have me on completely on the hype train that i'd avoided for so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

LanceStorm wrote: »
    So annoyed with myself for not ordering sooner, Smyths now look like they wont have more stock until launch day and Shopto not until Wednesday, may aswell wait for digital on Friday now...

Lots of very positive reviews now have me on completely on the hype train that i'd avoided for so long!

GameStop still have stock, €70 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone know who Smyth's despatch with?

Is it An Post?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Anyone know who Smyth's despatch with?

Is it An Post?

Depends on the size I think, they use An Post or DPD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Told myself I wasn't going to watch any reviews, but broke down and watched Easy Allies review. Very good review, covers everything I wanted to know while simultaneously revealing as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Morpork wrote: »
    Told myself I wasn't going to watch any reviews, but broke down and watched Easy Allies review. Very good review, covers everything I wanted to know while simultaneously revealing as little as possible.

The two summons are unlockable now ... but no physical medium yet

Clicked on “instructions” and it says tracking available but no tracking available :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Morpork wrote: »

The two summons are unlockable now ... but no physical medium yet

Clicked on “instructions” and it says tracking available but no tracking available :pac:

Snuck in the first mission during lunch while 'WFH', my copy arrived today.

So haven't seen past the demo content yet. My run against the boss was way worse than my demo runs. There is still an issue I think with activating Cloud's other stance where it's not clear when it kicks in. I tend to have to mash the triangle button until I see him get in stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So jealous of anyone who has the physical bike statue ordered, looks so class, maybe the greatest game gaming statue I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Nothing from ShopTo for me today :(

Glad you guys got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Nothing from ShopTo for me today :(

Glad you guys got it sorted.

At least it isn't just me! Fingers crossed for tomorrow for us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Thanks to the lads on here who gave the Shopto info last week, DID NOT think I would have this the Monday before release!

2 disk like Red Dead 2 and reversible cover, nice.

Did the An Post tracking ever work with the Royal Mail code?

For anyone who ordered from Shopto your dlc code is in the digital items section of your account on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I want to get this but want to trade in RDR 2 and GOW 3 to pay for it.
    I don't suppose there are any other alternatives over post now that CEX are closed?

Advertisement