Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amenity placed outside house by neighbours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Shout at the children, and make sure to shake your fist in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Anyone who is saying its just kids let them play have not experienced the THUMP THUMP THUMP of a basketball for hours on end . It is a head wrecker and I would definitely have words with the neigbour who thinks thats ok

How likely is hours on end though? They are in school most of the time (no surprise this has come up during easter break). And yes, in summer it could be more but, as the OP said himself, there were football posts put in the green and they grew tired of them after a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up with the hoop gone and some of the kids chatting outside the house every evening aimlessly bouncing a basketball over and over and over because they know why it was removed. Now, that would be head wrecking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Do you live near a children's play area on an estate?

Do you live near a children's play area on an estate?

Yes. They're there for a couple hours a few days in a row and then they move off and hang out/play somewhere else before coming back around again a few days/weeks later.

Have guys on skateboards/bikes on sloped footpath outside house pretty much every sunny day for some length of time or another.

Gives a real sense of community.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

How likely is hours on end though? They are in school most of the time (no surprise this has come up during easter break). And yes, in summer it could be more but, as the OP said himself, there were football posts put in the green and they grew tired of them after a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up with the hoop gone and some of the kids chatting outside the house every evening aimlessly bouncing a basketball over and over and over because they know why it was removed. Now, that would be head wrecking.

Very likely in the summer , kids attracted to the hoop and some playing basketball while others just bounce bounce bounce bounce the ball . Yep definitely head wrecking for anyone within 4 metres of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I feel very sorry for you. I agree with the posters who have advised you to arrange for it to be removed completely some night. I think your neighbours are extremely uncaring and selfish. The constant worry of your cars been damaged is unacceptable and not been able to watch TV in your own front room because of the constant thud of the ball is rudiculous. Why should you and your wife have to move. That's tantamount to bullying . Just get a couple of friends and get rid of it asap.

Yes. They're there for a couple hours a few days in a row and then they move off and hang out/play somewhere else before coming back around again a few days/weeks later.

Have guys on skateboards/bikes on sloped footpath outside house pretty much every sunny day for some length of time or another.

Gives a real sense of community.

Do they THUMP a ball against your wall or THUMP a basketball all day ?

Yes. They're there for a couple hours a few days in a row and then they move off and hang out/play somewhere else before coming back around.

Lucky you.

Do they THUMP a ball against your wall or THUMP a basketball all day ?

No, and I'm betting they didn't/don't for the OP either.

No, and I'm betting they didn't/don't for the OP either.

A few hours is enough to drive you mad

• Advertisement

I feel very sorry for you. I agree with the posters who have advised you to arrange for it to be removed completely some night. I think your neighbours are extremely uncaring and selfish. The constant worry of your cars been damaged is unacceptable and not been able to watch TV in your own front room because of the constant thud of the ball is rudiculous. Why should you and your wife have to move. That's tantamount to bullying . Just get a couple of friends and get rid of it asap.

You are suggesting that kids having a basketball hoop located across the road from the OP's house is bullying?
    And you are suggesting doing something illegal as an appropriate reaction?

A few hours is enough to drive you mad

I lived in an estate where a neighbour nearly did go mad from the constant thump thump against his wall. He was ordinarily a very reasonable man but this really got under his skin. In the summer months, his wall got a LOT of thumps.

I lived in an estate where a neighbour nearly did go mad from the constant thump thump against his wall. He was ordinarily a very reasonable man but this really got under his skin. In the summer months, his wall got a LOT of thumps.

That's different, that was directly against his property.
    In this instance, the hoop is located across the road from the OP's property and the general direction balls will be thrown in will be away from his house.

That's different, that was directly against his property.
    In this instance, the hoop is located across the road from the OP's property and the general direction balls will be thrown in will be away from his house.

I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

You are suggesting that kids having a basketball hoop located across the road from the OP's house is bullying?
    And you are suggesting doing something illegal as an appropriate reaction?
    What's illegal about removing equipment that wasnt there when the poster and his wife bought their house. Its causing them upset. End of !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think it would drive me bonkers TBH. Especially given the cavalier attitude of the parents who really don't seem to appreciate how difficult it is for you. Parents don't hear their own kids, and they are delighted to see them from their front window, but it is you that is being driven crackers with the constant thump, thump.

Anyway, keep trying to get the neighbours on board, if you make a formal complaint, or escalate it you may have to divulge that if you ever sell.

In the meantime, if you haven't already got them, very good quality noise cancelling headphones are god's gift.

What's illegal about removing equipment that wasnt there when the poster and his wife bought their house. Its causing them upset. End of !

Do you really need an answer to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

bladespin wrote: »
    Are they actually disturbing anyone or just playing on a public street? The street belongs to them every bit as much as it does to anyone.

Yeah sure why not have a few horses tied up there too and a mini quad bike ramp?

OP, I do empathise with you feeling uncomfortable.
    I would expect that this is a passing fad.

You mentioned that ye have just bought and are considering if this is your forever location. I don't know your circumstance or plans but maybe in a few years your children could benefit from living in a place where someone is kind enough to put out a hoop like this.

Live and let live is my opinion.

I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Unfortunately I think it's going to be how it is op. I used to live in an estate that was mostly young families and like you, I was the last house in the cul de sac beside a parking / turn around area. The kids were always playing there, balls going over the wall etc and they were jumping over to get it which I didn't mind. As I was away a lot of the time the jumping over the walls turned in to playing in the back garden which the next door neighbour put me on to. I ended up having to put grease on the walls after I heard teens were jumping over and drinking!
    I looked out one day and the lad across the road was playing football with the kids and he set up two coats for a goal on the foot path about 6ft in front of the bonnet of my car, so basically if he scored he hit the car. Another day I came home and there were two tents set up in my front garden. The neighbours would call the kids away when they seen me pull in but it was a free for all when I wasn't there and like your case, I never seen them hanging around in any of their gardens.
    The easiest option is to just put up with it or park your car in the way the odd day to give you a break. As you can see from this thread there's not much middle ground, it's either leave them alone they're kids, what's the problem to solicitors letters and destroying the basketball ring. Common sense would be for your neighbour to tell the kids to give you a break the odd day but the trouble with common sense is it's not common enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Del2005 wrote: »
    The insurance for a play ground is massive compared to general public liability. The development next to me had a playground installed by contractors in the wrong development, its been sitting rusting away as the complex can't afford the insurance. So how will these complexes with mandatory play areas get cover? The councils are now forcing people to pay massive management fees to cover the fact that they aren't supplying public amenities.

I was wondering the same. I see some new developments with play areas/astro turf type surface and you wonder who is responsible for its maintenance. Is the council going to take it over once the developer finishes the estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was wondering the same. I see some new developments with play areas/astro turf type surface and you wonder who is responsible for its maintenance. Is the council going to take it over once the developer finishes the estate?

We have one and it's a nightmare (managed development). Insurance is sky high and some kids are out there 6am to 10pm at weekends and during holidays, why would a parent mind their own children when the neighbours can watch them instead? Like the OP I can't use my front rooms during daylight hours. But I can't do anything about it, it's not going to be removed.

The op can get this hoop removed one way or another. It's on a public road therefore is either an obstruction or litter. People cannot unilaterally erect street furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

@Caranica

Who pays the insurance at the moment?

I was in a public playground recently, a lovely place with an astro pitch. I gave a walk in and numerous patches of it have been burnt out. I am not sure if people are using those disposable barbecues on them or just setting fire to the surface.

These playgrounds in estates are going to cost a lot to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So what if they are in school during the winter? It's late evenings and weekends during the summer when everyone is home (usually trying to relax) that matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mrmanire wrote: »
    our next door neighbours placed a mobile basketball hoop about 4 metres directly in front of our drive in a car turning area.
    Move it into their driveway.
    Not to mention they do spend most of the day in school most of the year.
    It's a cul-de-sac away from their parents; when summer holidays hit, it'll be every day.
    it takes like an extra 6 seconds to drive past.
    The kids playing there will mean that they won't get out of the way, and the OP has to take great care reversing in or out of the driveway for kids that will not be in his line of sight.
    She says she loves the sound of children playing, it makes her feel good.

Yes, you feel it is an inconvenience, but it is likely the majority in the estate like the idea of a community such as that.
    I love the smell of napalm in the morning. it smells like victory. But what I like, and what the neighbours like can be two different things.
    And I'd also expect to hear the sound of kids laughing and chatting while playing. All good.
    At 1am? Because once the good weather hits, and if the place is well lit, the teenagers will congregate there and play until very late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Pkiernan wrote:
    Yeah sure why not have a few horses tied up there too and a mini quad bike ramp?

Lol, are you seriously comparing a bunch of kids playing basketball to that???? Wow.
    Kids playing is just that, portraying it as antisocial behavior is bonkers.
    Take the game away and I wonder what they would resort to to entertain themselves, I'd considet a hoop a pretyy good compromise.

bladespin wrote: »
    Lol, are you seriously comparing a bunch of kids playing basketball to that???? Wow.
    Kids playing is just that, portraying it as antisocial behavior is bonkers.
    Take the game away and I wonder what they would resort to to entertain themselves, I'd considet a hoop a pretyy good compromise.

Yes but not outside your house I am guessing . The hoop is not the problem its the thumping of the basketball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The estate will have other turnaround areas. Rotate it around the estate every week

Of course the other residents love it but it’s not outside their house! I see the OPs neighbors are not keen as they want it close so they can watch. But they can still watch even if it’s further up the estate.

I think the OP should push this again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

whoever thought it was a good idea in the first place didnt think it through.

not toi many people would put up with it outside their property tbh.
    the council mightnt be too happy with it either. if it falls over on someone or something that a law suit just waiting.
    tbh i wouldnt be too bothered about 'falling out' with others. if they cant see how inconsiderate it is they're not good neighbours in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Yes but not outside your house I am guessing . The hoop is not the problem its the thumping of the basketball

Actually, the road outside our house is often full of kids playing headeds and vollies over the cables that cross the street, doesn't bother me, I did it myself as a kid. No horses or quads here.

Advertisement