Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amenity placed outside house by neighbours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

listermint wrote: »
    Why would i assume it, because its natural assumption. If their kids were out there playing the same game with the other kids. This thread wouldnt exist.

And enough guff about precious little johnnys and whatever your having yourself.

I was making a fair point to the poster that, he loves the area. and moving out for something like this seems a tad extreme. And that his thought process would most likely be different if their was kids of his own mixed in here.

Id also question his window supplier. Because this level of noise coming through would indicate that id be putting window renovations on the agenda. I got new ones last year myself and the house is near silent.

We have good double glazing. Keeps the house nice and warm and stops most noise. I don't feel I should be having to buy expensive sound proofed windows. Another factor is that the roadway in front of my house becomes a court full of kids. Yes kids may play on the road; great to see it but not outside a single person's house.
    strandroad wrote: »
    I'm fronting onto the estate green and I don't mind the children playing there at all, it is indeed a nice sight and they choose different activities on different days, and play all over the green. But to have a basket court there every day is a whole new ball game (sorry!). It must be very noisy indeed, I think the OP is a saint if they are still so polite about it.

We've been polite but may start to slowly escalate. This is our first house and somewhere we may potentially stay. Maybe we need to toughen up a bit but want to maintain the relationship with our neighbours. Maybe that's impossible.
    Bazzy wrote: »
    If it was me i'd move the hoop.

Buy a very cheap car and park it where the hoop was.
    matrim wrote: »
    Could you start parking your car in the turnabout area on the days you want some peace and quiet?

Put my car out there this morning for a few hours. Had six or seven kids sitting around it (protest or something :) ?) I'd be worried about damage to the car. I did it once before last year and an eight year old mindlessly tried to play basketball with the car directly under the hoop. I like to think there was no malice in it but could have damaged the car. THe kids here are good kids but the younger ones are liable to do something silly. I will be parking the car there over the easter. Hopefully they'll engage then. We dropped into them last time so hoping the reciprocate. They are good people but they just think the hoop is a good thing for their kids and don't care here.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have new high quality double glazed windows and I most certainly can hear the thump thump thump of a basketball outside . Our new neighbour put one up in their front garden and it attracts the kids and yes it is very annoying .
    My own kids played outside many moons ago and so I tolerate it . It still annoys though .

No kids yet but future kids are a consideration. Ironically the neighbours who put up the hoop had a falling out with the neighbour over the other side of our wall about kids playing outside their house and impacting their privacy. Very hypocrytical I think.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    This exact thing happened on our street. It didnt obstruct our cars but the basketball pounding away for 10 hours a day in the summer (especially until 11pm when younglings were trying to sleep) finally finished me. I didnt know from where it came, so on my way out to the gym one sunny morning at about 5.30am i dismantled the hoop and stand, put them in the car and binned them at the recycling centre on my way home from work.

Wish I had the balls to do that! It's a substantial plastic structure and very loud to move. I'd have my neighbour out of his bed if I went to move it!!!
    strandroad wrote: »
    They can put a ball stop netting in place, raised between two poles, to prevent that. It's not even expensive.

Agreed but that would impinge on their area outside their house. Why do that when you've a turnabout?
    AulWan wrote: »
    Its a natural assumption to presume that your kids disturbing your neighbours all day every day is okay, because they are kids?

Alrighty then.

Sorry, OP but from experience, this is the kind of attitude you're facing. Its seems nowadays your neighbours kids have more rights then you do, and other parents expect you to just put up with their kids.

Its clear the majority of the posters have never actually had to live with a situation like this, I have and eventually it was a factor in my moving.

If it were me, I'd go out and remove the hoop into the neighbours driveway the minute he puts it out. Stop being nice about it.

May have to stop being nice but hoping for a better solution before that. Will slowly escalate. I was kind of hoping there was health and safety aspect where the council could move.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well at this point I think your options are.

Talking again to the neighbor and seeing compromise

Or

Getting a mate with a van chuck it in quick and dump it.

Option one may actually expose option 2 so...

Then buy a 200 euro done dealer and park it there for a year. Pretending it's not yours.

listermint wrote: »
    Well at this point I think your options are.

Talking again to the neighbor and seeing compromise

Or

Getting a mate with a van chuck it in quick and dump it.

Option one may actually expose option 2 so...

Then buy a 200 euro done dealer and park it there for a year. Pretending it's not yours.

I only got rid of a 200 euro banger a few years ago. I should have held onto it.

I'm highly unlikely to go option 2 being honest but there will be engagment again. Just don't want to go running back to their front door. I'll leave car there a few evenings and if they don't call into us, we'll call to them.

I actually more pi*sed off that they put it up without having a chat with us after us discussing it at start of the year. If they'd done that, we'd probably have said throw it up for a while until we come to a solution considering the Easter holidays and all!

Just showed a lack of respect. It's tough going into a neighbour with an issue. Myself and my wife don't like conflict and aren't belligerent people at all so this kind of thing doesn't come naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mrmanire wrote: »
    I only got rid of a 200 euro banger a few years ago. I should have held onto it.

I'm highly unlikely to go option 2 being honest but there will be engagment again. Just don't want to go running back to their front door. I'll leave car there a few evenings and if they don't call into us, we'll call to them.

I actually more pi*sed off that they put it up without having a chat with us after us discussing it at start of the year. If they'd done that, we'd probably have said throw it up for a while until we come to a solution considering the Easter holidays and all!

Just showed a lack of respect. It's tough going into a neighbour with an issue. Myself and my wife don't like conflict and aren't belligerent people at all so this kind of thing doesn't come naturally.

Can understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I wouldn't put your car there as if it gets damaged it escalates everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

AulWan wrote: »
    Its a natural assumption to presume that your kids disturbing your neighbours all day every day is okay, because they are kids?

Are they actually disturbing anyone or just playing on a public street? The street belongs to them every bit as much as it does to anyone.

bladespin wrote: »
    Are they actually disturbing anyone or just playing on a public street? The street belongs to them every bit as much as it does to anyone.

Zero issue with me from the playing. They have 100% entitlement to the street. The issue is the placing of the basketball hoop outside. This increases the number of kids (and noise) but they've every right to be there and noise away.

I have no beef with the kids at all. The issue is with the parents and the erecting of a hoop in a public area of the estate with no consideration for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I just attached a little map there. Can't believe I've done that! To the far left is a stream (fully barriered off) but it stops the use of the hoop at end of the cul-de-sac as the wall would be straight into the water which is fair enough.

Just saw this picture, had missed it earlier.

You need to get over yourself. Or move.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ask about getting goal posts put up on the green, or put up some yourself, so there's something else for the kids to do.

Know that it will be outgrown eventually anyway.

But seriously, kids are playing with their friends outside, and you want to stop them?

[PHP][/PHP]
    Just saw this picture, had missed it yourself.

Humbly I disagree with you. Only looking for advice.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Ask about getting goal posts put up on the green, or put up some yourself, so there's something else for the kids to do.

Know that it will be outgrown eventually anyway.

But seriously, kids are playing with their friends outside, and you want to stop them?

Outside the same house every day. There are goals outside but the kids don't have interest in them any more. The hoop was up last Summer. We hoped it was a fad that would end. It didn't.

Don't want to stop them. Just would like some accomodation from the parents where the hoops gets rotated around the estate. There are a few turnarounds. Let everyone have it outside for a while.

The people who put the basketball hoop up have kids who play basketball, right? And it is outside their house now?

Of course they're not going to move it somewhere else.

Outside the same house every day. There are goals outside but the kids don't have interest in them any more. The hoop was up last Summer. We hoped it was a fad that would end. It didn't.

Don't want to stop them. Just would like some accomodation from the parents where the hoops gets rotated around the estate. There are a few turnarounds. Let everyone have it outside for a while.

The same will happen with the hoop. They'll grow tired of it and move on to something else.

Do you really want to become a real world Mrs Bucket (Bouquet) over something like this?

If there really are kids playing there constantly through the day until it gets dark, any time it isn't raining, then when local election candidates come to your door you can point to the kids and say there is a desperate need for a proper basketball court on the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A few important issues first -

Who owns the common areas in the estate and pays the public liability insurance for those areas?

Who put up the hoop and what happens if it collapses and hurts a kid?

These are key points.
    From your map it looks like the hoop is in a common area. Is the hoop attached to a wall or is it a freestanding structure?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

The OP has asked for advice and has been respectful/restrained throughout the thread which is more than can be said about some of the responses.

If you'd be happy with a pseudo-basketball court outside your house, great. Off you go.

Any more name calling, Mrs Bucket/killjoy or similar will not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If a neighbour came to me with a genuine complaint I'd be mortified and try to deal with it. Instead you have neighbours who clearly don't give a damn - stop all this nonsense of inviting them over to hear the noise, you've already told them and they don't care.

I'd have a falling out with them, and quickly, or be seen as a walkover for ever more. I'd be sending them a solicitors letter to show you are serious.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A few important issues first -

Who owns the common areas in the estate and pays the public liability insurance for those areas?

Who put up the hoop and what happens if it collapses and hurts a kid?

These are key points.
    From your map it looks like the hoop is in a common area. Is the hoop attached to a wall or is it a freestanding structure?

From the map it looks like the hoop on a public road/parking space next to a common area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The OPs house is not only closer to the noise source, but the front of his property directly faces the source, so the sound waves will not deflect as much as they do with the neighbours property.

The neighbours have already admitted it is very noisy. Add to this that the noise of the bouncing ball is lower for them AND their kids are outside making noise, rather than making noise in the house. It's a win/win for the neighbour.

If I were the OP, I wouldn't be calling that area a turn-around. It's a parking area and when I am in an estate with those cut-outs, I park in them. Why take up your drive-way space with your car :D

My neighbour cuts the lawn and while he is doing that, I cannot sit outside chatting to someone on the phone. Should I steel his lawnmower or tell him that the decibel level is too loud and he needs to provide ear defenders for everyone in the estate?

If your neighbour cut the lawn for several hours each day, would you not discuss the decibel levels?
    Just saw this picture, had missed it yourself.

Listen to this for an hour and come back to us.

Stay Free

hmmm wrote: »
    I'd be sending them a solicitors letter to show you are serious.

"Dear Mr Neighbour,

As a solicitor, I am writing to you to let you know that Mr mrmanire is serious. And steps will be taken. Also, there will be consequences.
    Yours sincerely,
    A Solicitor"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Mickeroo wrote: »
    From the map it looks like the hoop on a public road/parking space next to a common area.

In which case surely this applies? If cars can't turn then traffic can be obscured.

Road Traffic Act, 1961. 98.—(1) A person shall not do any act (whether of commission or omission) which causes or is likely to cause traffic through any public place to be obstructed. (2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

Listen to this for an hour and come back to us.

And I'd also expect to hear the sound of kids laughing and chatting while playing. All good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Caranica wrote: »
    In which case surely this applies? If cars can't turn then traffic can be obscured.

Road Traffic Act, 1961. 98.—(1) A person shall not do any act (whether of commission or omission) which causes or is likely to cause traffic through any public place to be obstructed. (2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

Looks more like a parking area, if the kids don't refuse to allow cars to travel then they're not obstructing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Caranica wrote: »

Try get a Garda interested in a car parked in one of these areas and you deserve a medal for persistence. Most the cars on my street are parked outside the drive and in actual turn around areas in the middle and end of the cul-de-sac. I have a neighbour who has his car parked outside another neighbours house the past 3 years with no tax/insurance/nct and nothing has ever been done.
    And I'd also expect to hear the sound of kids laughing and chatting while playing. All good.

That wasn't even 5 minutes lad. I have kids and love to hear them laughing and chatting. But I wouldn't want to listen to everyone elses kids for 10 hours a day at the expense of my sanity.

Stay Free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

OP tell your neighbour it needs to go, you have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

The OP sounds like a absolute saint to have put up with this nonsense, the neighbors are showing you zero respect. You are 100% correct to not want screaming children outside the house for hours on end, anyone that thinks otherwise has the exact same mindset as the neighbors.... its great that the kids are playing but not happening outside their house. Hope you get it sorted, the opinion I would take is moving the nets back to the owners driveway anytime they appear. This may appear the nuclear option but you have to stand up for yourself. Lets be realistic, these are not your children. You don't owe them anything, best of luck

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You could always pop in to your local community Garda and see what their take on it would be. I know it can be hit and miss depending on where you live, but they might be able to give you some advice.

Thanks for responses. Just off to a wedding now so more replies from this OP today. Will reply tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Del2005 wrote: »
    Inform your neighbour of the amount they'll have to pay out if anyone even scratches themselves on it. There's a reason why play grounds are extremely rare in private estates.

That way you are not the annoying neighbour complaining about the basketball net but the helpful neighbour keeping them safe from the solicitors.
    We had it for nigh on 5/6 years,cul de sac,8 foot wall ,ball constantly going off the wall ,in our garden ,off the car etc etc,noise was horrendous ,then when they weren't kicking ball etc, hanging around ( up to )from 10/15 years old, mother diagonally across from us didn't give a ****,it's a fluid housing association small estate 24 houses- last 2 housing officers were useless,latest one v pro active,wrote to each tenant,put up signs no ball playing/ congregation ,sounds draconian but honest it was awfullllll,her youngest best has now flown the nest as in out on the street with another few ,stones have started etc, trying to move,reason I ended up here is a divorce,and as I've my smallie since he was 2/ half we were lucky to get somewhere, originally from a normal area bishoptown,where kids behave in general,drug parties are rare and parents are responsible,this particular neighbour is from another sinkhole ,so began with her years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Anyone who is saying its just kids let them play have not experienced the THUMP THUMP THUMP of a basketball for hours on end . It is a head wrecker and I would definitely have words with the neigbour who thinks thats ok

Advertisement