Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amenity placed outside house by neighbours

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭corks finest

dubrov wrote: »
    mdebets wrote:
    You might not care what your neighbours think of you, but you might care, what their children do. Imagine what you would have done as a teen when someone took your favorite toy away (and it must be a favorite as the OP says they are playing for hours every day), even more so, when their parents tell them, the old crank from next door took it away. The noise the OP is experiencing now could be heaven compared to what it could be, if these teens decide to target the OP specifically.

Thay won't happen if it really is a nice estate.

If I caught my kids doing what you suggest, they wouldn't see the light of day for weeks.
    Yes but you are a responsible parent ,big difference to the scrotes living near me ,it's a sinkhole with sinkhole parents,same ppl on the booze,drugs,causing mayhem,the "normal " kids/ parents don't be hanging around streets for hours on end,kids normally get into structured sports,learn discipline etc these morons are encouraged by dopey parents to basically do what they want to do,sure we did it - what's the harm is their attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

You could orchestrate a game of shirts & skins every time they rock up. Ideal weather. Parents wouldn't be long moving the hoop away from the middle aged guy playing with his top off. ðŸ˜

Some of the more lonely women would be moving their hoops closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I remember as a kid in Dublin we used to play football on a green space and kids had done for decades. A new residents association decided to prevent ball games by planting shrubs all over it and a rockery.

Playing football moved onto the road instead and someone was hit by a car.

I get fed up with this Irish attitude of sue everyone and have no facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Fear of being the crazy one is really snowflake Irish.

I'm comfortable with the moniker as I've had to go mental on a few folk over issues like the family that bought the kid a scrambler and a few others.

So yea.. just stop being nice about it. Rip that plaster off and go full mental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I knew a guy who waited until the bal went into his front garden. He then took the ball into his house. After a few minutes there was a knock on the door asking for the ball back. He demanded to know who owned it and if they had a receipt. After 20 minutes of this he gave the ball back:burst. End of problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 LeVaterIzVet

Realistically, either way someone won't be happy with the outcome. Everyone wants to get on with their neighbours, what's life without community? However, there comes a point when you give some people an inch and they have the cheek to take a mile. While it's all well and good that your neighbours are delighted that their children are outside getting exercise and spending time away from their iPhones and PlayStations, why should you be the one to suffer? They're not your children? The parents know full-well how annoying this must be for you, but still fail to do anything about it.

Call over to the owner of the basketball hoop's house in a friendly manner and express your reservations about the issue. Tell them that it's all well and good that the children are having fun, but make it clear how the congregation of children outside your house is disturbing your enjoyment of the home that you have paid 100s of thousands for. Don't mince words. If the parents aren't willing to step in and remove the basketball hoop, it's time to play hardball. The law of private nuisance in Ireland has been flexed many times for this exact reason. The children playing basketball outside your house constantly would be seen as unreasonable by the courts, and would be dealt with accordingly.

Anyone here who believes that the OP is being unreasonable needs to learn a thing or two about compassion. The fact that he/she started this thread, instead of rushing to the more nuclear options, shows that they care about their neighbours and actually want to find an equitable solution. Nice guys finish last in this world OP, don't let other people take advantage of your kind nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My husband has just gone to bed after a 12 hour shift. I can tell you this for sure. We live in an estate full of kids. It’s another beautiful day in the easter holidays. That basketball hoop would not be outside my house today. No way.
    OP your patience is admirable but these people are gob****es and you need to tell them that either they move the hoop or you’ll have it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The OP and a buddy can hustle the kids for their lunch money like White Men Can't Jump

Act like unathletic middle aged dorks and let the kids build up a score and then boom! clean them out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The OP and a buddy can hustle the kids for their lunch money like White Men Can't Jump

Act like unathletic middle aged dorks and let the kids build up a score and then boom! clean them out

Lots of slo mo lay ups and foul language. Momma jokes for the area would be fitting.

• Advertisement

It’s reading threads like this that make me so glad to be building my own house on our own land with fields between me and the next houses (and them houses being other family members). I couldn’t tolerate dealing with neighbors and their kids.
    mdebets wrote: »
    You might not care what your neighbours think of you, but you might care, what their children do.
    Imagine what you would have done as a teen when someone took your favorite toy away (and it must be a favorite as the OP says they are playing for hours every day), even more so, when their parents tell them, the old crank from next door took it away. The noise the OP is experiencing now could be heaven compared to what it could be, if these teens decide to target the OP specifically.

Let them try it I say..... scrotes would regret it for a long time if it was me they tried that crap with and what are they going to do that won’t be caught on a cctv which I’d advise any home owner to have nowadays with all the smart home options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭jellybear

It’s reading threads like this that make me so glad to be building my own house on our own land with fields between me and the next houses (and them houses being other family members). I couldn’t tolerate dealing with neighbors and their kids.

That's the dream!! :) Not possible for everyone though :(

jellybear wrote: »
    That's the dream!! :) Not possible for everyone though :(

Oh I understand it isn’t but having grown up rurally and then spending a number of years renting in estates due to work it really made me make all the efforts I could to make sure I could move back rurally as soon as possible.

I’ve never had such a level of annoyance as the op either but loads of crap you have to put up with living in estates that would just mean I couldn’t do it long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭jellybear

Very similiar to myself! :) Grew up in quite a rural area but even that's becoming more built up and no land to build on. In an estate now 4 years and we've said since day 1 we'd be here 10 years max :) Will keep on saving the pennys!!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Was in that situation a few years ago. We owned an end of terrace house which was joined to a large wall. Children used to bang a ball off it constantly. Thud thud thud thud. We were in our early 20s and even at that young age it nearly drove us demented! Sold up, moved and bought a semi d then.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

spockety wrote: »
    <SNIP>
    This is the best idea yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Let's not go down the illegal and/or plain daft road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

It's ok to encourage <SNIP>, and setting innocent people up for <SNIP>, but sprinkling <SNIP> is a no no. Try bouncing a ball on <SNIP>. Not that daft. Crotch goblins won't want to burst their ball.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod

No. Both are daft ideas but I can only edit one post at a time.

If you have an issue with a post, report it. Do not discus moderation on thread. Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Call over to the owner of the basketball hoop's house in a friendly manner and express your reservations about the issue. Tell them that it's all well and good that the children are having fun, but make it clear how the congregation of children outside your house is disturbing your enjoyment of the home that you have paid 100s of thousands for. Don't mince words. If the parents aren't willing to step in and remove the basketball hoop, it's time to play hardball. The law of private nuisance in Ireland has been flexed many times for this exact reason. The children playing basketball outside your house constantly would be seen as unreasonable by the courts, and would be dealt with accordingly.
    This post is good advice, but I expect you're overselling the simplicity of the outcome.

Not least because the activity is taking place in a public place (and not in another neighbour's property). You also have the issue that if playing basketball is not OK outside the OP's house, then it is by definition not OK outside anyone's house.
    I'd be skeptical that a judge would be quick to say that children aren't allowed to play outside because it's too loud.

Definitely worth a chat with a solicitor though.

Useful info from FLAC here for the OP: http://www.flac.ie/download/pdf/neighbour_disputes.pdf

One move that might be worth considering is to report the hoop to the local authority on the basis that it has been permanently or indefinitely erected on public land without permission. Council will come and remove it, or they will warn the neighbour that it can't be out there all the time. He'll get a pain in his face bringing it in and out all the time so eventually it will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Paddy3

The insurance has already been mentioned but FYI this has got nothing to do with the residence committee - Its either a management company issue or public authority issue.
    What most people don't seem to realise is that those turnabouts are not for parking/playing etc they are actually there to provide emergency service access to the road i.e if an ambulance or fire engine need to do a u-turn

Advertisement